• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft PSVR support in September

Not a big Minecraft guy (anymore... I quit not long after the redstone update...)

But as a fan of VR this is great. Imagine having the immersion of VR in a world you've been building on for day/weeks/months/years.

Good pickup Sony!

Impotaku

Always wanted to explore the surreal worlds of minecraft in VR levels of immersion, considering how basic the graphics are the enviroments can be quite beautiful at times. Already have the bedrock version on PS4 and a headset so i'm all set, can guarantee this is gonna cause the PS4 version of the game to price spike anyone wanting to get in might want to do it earlier than later.

My total dream would be the PC version with all those incredible texture & ligting mods that make it look real but also surreal at the same time combined with PCVR. In the meantime i'm happy to do it on PS4 even if it is the basic looking version, just hope they can get the framerate stable in PSVR as that is essential.

trikster40

I’m honestly shocked this is happening. and so laissez-faire about the announcement? This is kind of a big deal even if you don’t play Minecraft. PSVR Bundle in the future?

Romulus

I've not played much minecraft but this is absolutely colossal for VR in general. It keeps getting more and more support huge support. Microsoft flight sim VR, Hitman, walking dead(superb game)medal of honor, 2 star wars games, half life exclusive. And really, minecraft is likely the biggest franchise yet.

Last edited:

Kerotan

PSVR after getting Minecraft, No man's sky, hitman 1-3, Iron man and many others is a major win. The PS4 isn't a powerful machine for VR. With games like those and wipe out, skyrim etc I can see great potential for the next one especially if it comes with and additional processing unit to help boost performance.

Stitch

Gold Member
My total dream would be the PC version with all those incredible texture & ligting mods that make it look real but also surreal at the same time combined with PCVR.

That's already possible if your PC is powerful enough.

I wish I could play my Bedrock world in VR but for some reason it's Rift exclusive..

Rudius

Great news! Played a bit of Minecraft on PC almost 10 years ago, but being able to explore and build in VR has me interested in it again.

Romulus

PSVR after getting Minecraft, No man's sky, hitman 1-3, Iron man and many others is a major win. The PS4 isn't a powerful machine for VR. With games like those and wipe out, skyrim etc I can see great potential for the next one especially if it comes with and additional processing unit to help boost performance.

Additional power from ps5 is going to be interesting. Psvr devs are master optimizaters at this point.

Now they get this jump.

1.8TF to 10.2 TF(rdna2)and 4-5x CPU power, more bandwidth, more RAM and an SSD.

Xbox just boggle my mind at this point. So, your biggest first party gets an update for an even better version, on the competitors consoles and your own fanbase gets.... nothing? I just don't even know anymore, it gets to a point where it just feels like the people who actually buy and invest into Xbox and their console are just being flat out ignored in favour of absolutely everything else.

Flight Sim 2020 for PC (which wouldn't hurt so bad if the game wasn't their biggest technological leap since ever) and now VR support for PS Minecraft...

Phil, we also fucking want VR by the way, just incase you haven't noticed. Enjoy PS players, you seem to be getting better treatment than the Xbox fanbase itself.

Xbox just boggle my mind at this point. So, your biggest first party gets an update for an even better version, on the competitors consoles and your own fanbase gets.... nothing? I just don't even know anymore, it gets to a point where it just feels like the people who actually buy and invest into Xbox and their console are just being flat out ignored in favour of absolutely everything else.

Flight Sim 2020 for PC (which wouldn't hurt so bad if the game wasn't their biggest technological leap since ever) and now VR support for PS Minecraft...

Phil, we also fucking want VR by the way, just incase you haven't noticed. Enjoy PS players, you seem to be getting better treatment than the Xbox fanbase itself.
This is very honest.

I hope we will see you in the PS family.

additional processing unit?

the break out box of psvr does no processing at all, besides 3D audio, which is now included in PS5

PS4, and PS5, do the processing. And all we psvr users are hoping is that PS5 does improve psvr games just like the Pro already does, only far more

And btw, a redditor clarified what is living room mode (as opposed to regular VR immersion mode):

You're inside a minecrap house playing minecrap on your minecrap TV! that's inception!

guessing the tv resolution is crappy

Vawn

Banned
Nothing....says it all.

Are you seriously complaining that Sony and Nintendo aren't going out of their way to make Xbox better?

You know MS releasing their games on Steam, Switch and PlayStation isn't charity, right? They just want someone to buy their games. That's not the strategy of Sony and Nintendo - it doesn't need to be.

Kerotan

additional processing unit?

the break out box of psvr does no processing at all, besides 3D audio, which is now included in PS5

PS4, and PS5, do the processing. And all we psvr users are hoping is that PS5 does improve psvr games just like the Pro already does, only far more
Sorry I thought the unit that did the audio did more then just that. Would it be possible the ps5 VR gets a similar box that will do certain tasks?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Why would it? It's just a free update, and quite far from everybody has PSVR, right?
wait it's free?
they should charge for a separate version!
when i had minecraft on android
i had to buy it again for samsung VR

Calverz

Are you seriously complaining that Sony and Nintendo aren't going out of their way to make Xbox better?

You know MS releasing their games on Steam, Switch and PlayStation isn't charity, right? They just want someone to buy their games. That's not the strategy of Sony and Nintendo - it doesn't need to be.
Its just nice to see microsoft do this for gamers on playstation. 😀

Impotaku

Why would it? It's just a free update, and quite far from everybody has PSVR, right?

Because this happened to no mans sky in the same way, soon as the VR update dropped people started snapping up copies of the game and amazons stock ran out in the uk and the marketplace started to raise the price because of demand. Minecraft isn't some super niche game, it's pretty huge that there's a free VR update coming. And yeah not everyone has PSVR for their console but enough do, wouldn't be surprised to see Sony do a hardware bundle with this one pulling in new users.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Because this happened to no mans sky in the same way, soon as the VR update dropped people started snapping up copies of the game and amazons stock ran out in the uk and the marketplace started to raise the price because of demand. Minecraft isn't some super niche game, it's pretty huge that there's a free VR update coming. And yeah not everyone has PSVR for their console but enough do, wouldn't be surprised to see Sony do a hardware bundle with this one pulling in new users.

Minecraft isn't NMS, though. I don't see an increase in price coming, at all. It would be a tremendously stupid move.

I'm gonna eat my shoe if it happens. But with salt. Don't wanna risk it all...

Impotaku

To be fair it happened on Amazon uk but not many places to buy games in the uk anymore, when NMS vr update dropped prices started going up. Amazon were selling for £14.99 till all their stock was snapped up then the marketplace took over and price hiked it. I'm not on about publishers raising the price btw i'm on about the typical marketplace/ebay crap that happens. Bedrock version of minecraft on PS4 is already full price so no i can't see publishers going mad and increasing it but anyone on the fence who are interested might be wanting to source a copy before any potential madness starts.

Minecraft is way bigger than NMS wether gamers want to admit it or not people go crazy for it, personally i'm stoked as i already love and play both but having minecraft been somewhere i can explore like i'm in there yes please. Heard that the scale of everything in VR for minecraft is pretty interesting with everything been bigger than you thought.

Greeno

I'm as frustrated as you. What the hell is Microsoft thinking funding this feature? What is the benefit to their platforms (GamePass and Xbox)?

If you are gonna release console-focused games like Halo and Gears on PC day 1, then bring PC-focused games like AoE and MSFS on console day 1 (they don't even know if they will release AoE4 on console!). This is becoming ridiculous.

Last edited:
Top Bottom