• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft XBLA |OT| Don't touch my cactusSsSS

Coldsnap

omg what happened. I just got minecrafted. Downloaded the game so I could coax my girlfriend to play a video game with me, we started playing and I swear in the blink of an eye five hours was gone. I can usually only get her to play games with me for like 1 hour at the most. I was minning and she was building a house, so great.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Anyone else think 1600 is too much for an arcade game? Or it is just me? When did the 800pt limit get raised?

I was fine with 20, but after missing out on the best buy deal and seeing the PC price it looks like I won't be getting the game. Just feel dumb paying full price after it's significantly cheaper right before.

bengraven

You know, despite it being on the "Xbox Live Arcade", this isn't an "arcade" style game. I don't get why people are so offended to spend $20 on it.

It's a full fledged game. Had Notch had more modern graphics for the blocks and more polys for characters and enemies, this could have easily been a full release (after the AU).

Seriously - you WILL put hours into this. It isn't something you spend 400 points on a whim and jump in every few months when you notice a friend playing.

omg what happened. I just got minecrafted. Downloaded the game so I could coax my girlfriend to play a video game with me, we started playing and I swear in the blink of an eye five hours was gone. I can usually only get her to play games with me for like 1 hour at the most. I was minning and she was building a house, so great.

Minecraft: Teaching Domestic Duties to Couples Before Marriage.

JambiBum

Does anyone know if enchanting tables are in the 360 version? I know the ingredients for it but don't know if you can craft it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I just spent about 2 hours being completetly lost. My world has multiple large islands and I somehow could not find the one my house was on, so I ended up dying and losing all my stuff after surviving 2 nights. Definitely seems way bigger than I expected after the outcry.

ironcreed

Banned
This game is an absolute gem and I am actually surprised that it more than lived up to the hype surrounding it. I have read the comments about it being much smaller than the PC version, but the world feels plenty big enough for me. As there is absolutely endless replay value here, and all for a measly 20 bucks.

Living proof that all you need is a good idea at the core and nobody will give a damn about graphics, effects, some try too hard story or a big budget in general. It just takes a brilliant concept and put it together well with the resources you have. Take for example how atmospheric it is when it is snowing or when it is pouring down rain. This game even manages to capture that with it's bare bones tech. It's no wonder it is selling like hot cakes.

Just started this today. The PC version, since I don't have an Xbox, but this is the only active Minecraft thread. I'll get back to it soon but when I left off I was stuck in a very deep and dark hole that I dug for no reason, and most of my tools are busted. Is there a way to suicide or am I going to have to slowly punch my way to freedom?

So, did you just dig straight down? If so, what happened to the blocks you collected on your way down? You know, you can always jump and place blocks below you to gain height. Telling you just in case you didn't think of that 'cause when I let my mum play once it didn't occur to her. So, maybe you just have to click your heels together.

Is that tutorial only in the demo? It seemed really excessive, kind of kills all the magic of the game. It was great just starting out with no idea what you are doing. It was the first time I realized why PC gamers always say consoles are the reason games are becoming too casual

NinjaJesus

Is that tutorial only in the demo? It seemed really excessive, kind of kills all the magic of the game. It was great just starting out with no idea what you are doing. It was the first time I realized why PC gamers always say consoles are the reason games are becoming too casual

It's in the full game, but it's optional.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
k5KYj.jpg

WHY WON'T IT LET ME SLEEP

There's 2 layers of those half sized blocks, we went overkill on lighting...I don't get it. Works fine solo, co-op keeps getting attacked.

DarkStar

Finding gold is a pain! Only found 6 pieces so far, I need those for the booster tracks on my mining rail way.
Last night me and my fiance played from 5 till 5

I made a house, and she made a house across the map, then we made a rail way from her house to mine across the desert, and through the forest, put some torches every few blocks so it looks nice at night. its almost done and looks so nice!

I left the pc version alone for a while, just to play this with her and its the best fun ever!
such an awesome way to start the weekend.

DarkStar

k5KYj.jpg

There's 2 layers of those half sized blocks, we went overkill on lighting...I don't get it. Works fine solo, co-op keeps getting attacked.

Try using a single door. they said that if you use double doors monsters could still spawn while u sleep. I dont know if it goes for this vers. though, but you might want to give it a try.
Me and my fiance had the same issue, she made a double door for the balcony. as soon as we made it a single door (and closed it) the problem was solved :)

Finding gold is a pain! Only found 6 pieces so far, I need those for the booster tracks on my mining rail way.
Last night me and my fiance played from 5 till 5

I made a house, and she made a house across the map, then we made a rail way from her house to mine across the desert, and through the forest, put some torches every few blocks so it looks nice at night. its almost done and looks so nice!

I left the pc version alone for a while, just to play this with her and its the best fun ever!
such an awesome way to start the weekend.

Sounds great. Here is how my day went...

657425_700b.jpg

DD-11

A little disappointed in the world I thought it'd be larger. It's smaller than Oblivion it seems, but I guess there's all that underground...

I was able to walk around the entire area in three days. Followed the map, carried a bed around and at night simply built an inverted 'L' out of wood, placed the bed on top and went to sleep. Monsters gathered around the base, but I was too high up for them to reach.

I guess I'm wondering what to do? I built a little house, a sword, some armour, tools, etc. Is this it?

It could be really great if the monsters had some intelligence and there was a reason to build something more ambitious. Guess the game's not for me unless I'm missing something.

saunderez

It could be really great if the monsters had some intelligence and there was a reason to build something more ambitious. Guess the game's not for me unless I'm missing something.

For me this game (and Terraria) is all about finding everything there is to find and using it to build something epic.

mxgt

Banned
I was mining in a cave when I got attacked by Skeletons, got back to my makeshift home with one heart of health left and survived until morning

I opened my door to go out and kill some pigs to regain health and as soon as I did a creeper appeared to my very left, he was just fucking hiding there right up against my house and blew me and my house to bits

:(

I was mining in a cave when I got attacked by Skeletons, got back to my makeshift home with one heart of health left and survived until morning

I opened my door to go out and kill some pigs to regain health and as soon as I did a creeper appeared to my very left, he was just fucking hiding there right up against my house and blew me and my house to bits

:(
:lol
this game

ImLibo

Spent most of yesterday rebuilding my house/replacing dirt and cobblestone with stone untill i decided to go deep into a random cave looking for coal and iron,ended up finding some type of red and blue ore and my first glimpse of lava(which i promptly fell in and caught on fire.)
This game is amazing,really enjoying taking my time making the perfect hideaway lair.

Agkel

This blows, my gf finally got interested in a game we can both enjoy together (last one was castle crashers) but I cant justify the purchase atm. Bills,my sweet dog's vet bills, student loans etc etc

This makes me a sad panda... Happy for Notch though

Yup, I just stayed up all night playing #MineCraft.
I can feel the bloodshot in my eyes.
Tunneled straight down to hell, I did.

And been trying to come up with ways of disposing the creepers, using some kind of switch trap in front of my front door. Maybe another straight mine shaft down into some lava - would that kill them?

defel

k5KYj.jpg

Mobs are able to spawn on double half-slabs. They cannot spawn on single half-slabs. Otherwise make sure you light up the patches of floor that look a little darker. Mobs cant enter wooden doors (yet) so they shouldn't be a problem.

Still, though, looking at the picture I dont understand why mobs are spawning. It looks okay to me but they must be spawning inside the room somewhere.

And been trying to come up with ways of disposing the creepers, using some kind of switch trap in front of my front door. Maybe another straight mine shaft down into some lava - would that kill them?

Mobs can be killed by dunking them into lava, drowning them or by taking fall damage. Try using water streams outside your house to funnel the mobs into a central point. There are many examples on youtube.

After my first weekend with Minecraft which consisted of two days of Minecraft only, basically, I left the curtains open when I went to bed early in the morning because I suddenly was really afraid of the dark again. Good times.

ironcreed

Banned
What I find strange is that I actually began to love the look of the game. It just fits with the personality of it like a glove. The first time it started snowing I was like, "holy shit." It was night and I just happened to glance through the glass of my door, and despite the danger, had to go outside for a minute to check it out.

I finally went inside after hearing growls and went to bed, only to wake up to it still snowing. I set out to roam around a bit and crossed the ocean to another area and the snow turned to pouring down rain. It too was just very atmospheric and added a very cool vibe to the game. It just feels like some weird world that is both relaxing, yet tense at the same time. I love it.

Coldsnap

Is there a better way to install a roof? Between mining runs I've been watching my girlfriend build our house and her method of roofing is to build from the ground up inside the house a stack of dirt then placing the roof stone on top of that, then removing dirt.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Is there a better way to install a roof? Between mining runs I've been watching my girlfriend build our house and her method of roofing is to build from the ground up inside the house a stack of dirt then placing the roof stone on top of that, then removing dirt.

I'd make some scaffolding or stairs outside the house and get on top of it to lay the roof. Would be much easier.

MechaGodzilla

Neo Member
Man, bought a digital download code from best buy last night because I had some credit. I still haven't received the email with the code yet. I'm itching to play so bad. I have the PC version but my comp is a crappy laptop that is uncomfortable to pay on.

ironcreed

Banned

I built me a small dwelling, then leveled off a large plot around it. From there I built the outer walls of what will be a fortress. As the outer walls got higher, I just made temporary stairs on the side so I can get to the top. At which point I just went along the top filling the roof in. At night, I have my small temporary dwelling in the middle for shelter.

On a side note, I learned the hard way that as you are closing the roof off of a large structure, it starts to get dark inside, even with torches on my smaller dwelling. Monsters started spawning during the day and I realized I had to put torches up everywhere before I could even finish the roof.

FyreWulff

but you cant put a roof on top of nothing right. You know what I mean? You cant lay stone with nothing undenearth it.

You can attach stone to the side of stone, so you can just build one wall then attach stone to the side and just build it out horizontally.

ironcreed

Banned
but you cant put a roof on top of nothing right. You know what I mean? You cant lay stone with nothing undenearth it.

I thought the same at first. Just put the reticule over the side of a block (say at the top where you will start the roof) and you can indeed just lay it out from there with nothing underneath it for support. You have to be close enough to the block you want to attach it to, though.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

Bit late, but yeah, build the stone walls one block higher than you want, and then build the roof by targeting the sides of the top wall block.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Mine... mine .... mine... mine.... mine... mine.... mine... mine.... mine... mine.... mine... mine.... mine... mine.... mine... mine.... mine... mine.... mine... mine.... mine... mine.... mine... mine.... mine... -> hit a mine you made days ago...

smh

Oh no! I found some lava (technically magma) and I was trying to corral it into a nice holding area and I accidentally blocked the source. The whole thing dried up and disappeared! I was hoping to make some obsidian :( Now I'm off to find some more lava...

Top Bottom