• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft XBLA |OT| Don't touch my cactusSsSS

feel

I was mining in a cave when I got attacked by Skeletons, got back to my makeshift home with one heart of health left and survived until morning

I opened my door to go out and kill some pigs to regain health and as soon as I did a creeper appeared to my very left, he was just fucking hiding there right up against my house and blew me and my house to bits

:(
LMAO. Being greeted by a creeper staring inside through the door in the morning is always fun. A few arrows to the eyes through the door always does the trick though. Also in my friends' game (the only world I play for now), we have a makeshift storage room/dormitory on the side of a hill while be build our main base/house, and every morning without fail there's at least 4 spiders right above the door waiting to immediately jump on our backs when we exit. It's hilarious when someone is in a hurry to leave early in the morning and forgets about the spider ambush.

Blizzard

Banned
What I find strange is that I actually began to love the look of the game. It just fits with the personality of it like a glove. The first time it started snowing I was like, "holy shit." It was night and I just happened to glance through the glass of my door, and despite the danger, had to go outside for a minute to check it out.

I finally went inside after hearing growls and went to bed, only to wake up to it still snowing. I set out to roam around a bit and crossed the ocean to another area and the snow turned to pouring down rain. It too was just very atmospheric and added a very cool vibe to the game. It just feels like some weird world that is both relaxing, yet tense at the same time. I love it.
This is especially true when morning comes and the really peaceful music kicks in. I think I heard the 360 version plays the music much more often, but on the PC version it was pretty rare, so hearing the music that might signal morning had arrived was so peaceful and nice.

ironcreed

Banned
This is especially true when morning comes and the really peaceful music kicks in. I think I heard the 360 version plays the music much more often, but on the PC version it was pretty rare, so hearing the music that might signal morning had arrived was so peaceful and nice.

Yes, I am really digging the music as well. This game is so damn relaxing, yet it is also tense. Amazing to have that sense of both emotions going on.

ironcreed

Banned
Just curious, what can you do in the demo? Are you just confined to the tutorial?

Yes, just a tutorial area. Which is pretty basic, but still in depth. They start prompting you to unlock the game early on, though. I went ahead and unlocked it as soon as I started collecting wood, lol. The game is a drug.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Stuck in bed all weekend due to back spasms so I bit the bullet and bought it.

At night I build a door against a hole in some rocks to keep the monsters away.

Problem is it's day out again and they won't go away?

clockpunk

Hey chaps, sent 40 minutes scouring my world for pumpkins, without even a single sighting... Might someone be kind enough to share how they may be procured ingame?

But it is prompting so many ideas and hopes for things they might implement. There seems to be a large desire across the community for stained glass windows, including tinted (black) and frosted (white) perhaps formed from coloured sand. But the former would just be the cherry on the cake, I think

AkuMifune

Banned
Also sending a friend request to Minecraft GAF. This thing is way more addictive than it has any right being. Just lost my whole night's work and don't even care. I don't think that could happen with any other game.

Coldsnap

Discovering that there was caves inside my mine gave me a such a overwhelming sense of excitement due to exploring. It's been like since FFXI that I've felt that.

ckohler

Now I died with TONS of materials...found where I died but the items aren't there? Do they disappear?
If you take too long, yes. Drops will despawn after five minutes if you are within a certain range of them (the chunk they are in is still loaded in memory).

Created a new world with the seed gargamel just to see what it was like....

Holy cow! This world is so cool. I wish I would have used this seed in the beginning. Any other cool seeds people have found?

Any advice on where to find diamond blocks? Can't find any in my world. Should I just dig straight down until I hit bedrock or should I try to explore more cave systems?

Ok, who has a spare 360 lying around and is willing to keep it on 24/7 with Minecraft running to make it a GAF community server? :p

Edit: That's a serious question.

Any advice on where to find diamond blocks? Can't find any in my world. Should I just dig straight down until I hit bedrock or should I try to explore more cave systems?
Dig down to bedrock, count up 13 blocks then spread out. Apparently they're most commonly found 13-14 blocks above bedrock. I found about 8 at that level as well as a ton of iron and redstone.

Dig down to bedrock, count up 13 blocks then spread out. Apparently they're most commonly found 13-14 blocks above bedrock. I found about 8 at that level as well as a ton of iron and redstone.

Personally, I found the most at 8 blocks above bedrock. After about two hours of mining, me and my bro collectively mined almost 40 diamonds.

Tawpgun

Created a new world with the seed gargamel just to see what it was like....

Holy cow! This world is so cool. I wish I would have used this seed in the beginning. Any other cool seeds people have found?
gargamel is a pretty popular seed. I was going for resources over aesthetics. I used 404 as a seed. A short walk from spawn there's a big gravel bed. Mine the top layer in the middle and it collapses revealing a huge cave system.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Anything you need to do to keep monsters from spawning when you sleep? My bed is at least two spaces from any wall and I have it well lit...

Kard8p3

So.. I really suck at building stuff, I've mainly been sticking to mining.. v_v I want to be able to make cool stuff on the GAF sever. Any tips to make an awesome house/castle/whatever?

bengraven

What I find strange is that I actually began to love the look of the game. It just fits with the personality of it like a glove. The first time it started snowing I was like, "holy shit." It was night and I just happened to glance through the glass of my door, and despite the danger, had to go outside for a minute to check it out.

I finally went inside after hearing growls and went to bed, only to wake up to it still snowing. I set out to roam around a bit and crossed the ocean to another area and the snow turned to pouring down rain. It too was just very atmospheric and added a very cool vibe to the game. It just feels like some weird world that is both relaxing, yet tense at the same time. I love it.

This makes me smile. I remember when he added snow back into the game and then added rain. I was on my way to Rome on the old GAFland server (Exano!) and I saw the parthenon and Ex's huge house on the hill and my little temple come into view when suddenly CRACK and the rain started.

Best minecart trip ever.

Well, second best. The amusement park on NeoCraft is the best ever.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
True gangstas put lava behind their windows to give off a creepy lava lamp glow to the house.

0.jpg

I'm trying to build something like this currently, anyone got some tips? I've got a basic glass structure currently with room to walk around and above it. I didn't make it step-like as in this photo, would that make a difference? When I dropped a lava source on top it just went in four directions and didn't cover all the glass. Do I just need more or what?

Tawpgun

So.. I really suck at building stuff, I've mainly been sticking to mining.. v_v I want to be able to make cool stuff on the GAF sever. Any tips to make an awesome house/castle/whatever?
Is there an official GAF server? On the 360?

I already sent minecraft gaf a Fr.

Gav

Never got round to playing it on the PC, so snapped this up day after release.

In love.

Built a big, but ugly, house in the side of a hill and have been on a good few mining sessions from there.
Today I started a massive castle/mansion on top of a mountain, with stairs through the mountain, tower and turrets on top and lots of torches and glass. Slightly obsessed with it... Which is bad with an exam next week!

gargamel is a pretty popular seed. I was going for resources over aesthetics. I used 404 as a seed. A short walk from spawn there's a big gravel bed. Mine the top layer in the middle and it collapses revealing a huge cave system.

Oh yeah, I remember that seed. I tried exploring that one on the PC version, but the cave was so large my laptop couldn't handle it and Minecraft would seize up if I got too deep in the cavern.

But I'm thinking of starting a new game on gargamel when I get bored of my current world. That seems like a perfect place to make a cliff city.

Linius

Another Minecraft newbie overhere. I'm not so fund of PC gaming so I never played it before. But now it's on Xbox I finally picked it up. Had some struggles with a zombie the first time around. And after that a creeper decided to blow up my sort of house. But now I've finally managed to build something with torches and a bed. The only and most important thing I'm missing right now is a roof over my head. Anyone who can give me some tips on how to build a roof? I feel pretty terrible not begin able to build that :p

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
0YiMJ.jpg

Just found this underground. Got damn!!!! the cave is huge. A lot of other unexplored paths.

defel

Still can't figure out how to stop enemies from spawning inside my house/mine...GRR!

1. get rid of double doors
2. line the floor with single half slabs
3. lights, lights,lights
4. Make sure the bed is more than 1 block away from the walls

Otherwise Im stumped.

Woorloog

Banned
Still can't figure out how to stop enemies from spawning inside my house/mine...GRR!

IIRC mobs cannot spawn on transparent block... ie, make the floor from glass.
To me, it seems that the Xbox version has some unique bugs, i don't think PC 1.6.6 had this sort of mobs-spawn-anywhere issue.

Linius

577936_3172773244418_1418143975_32283583_1751725821_n.jpg

Here's my first screenshot. Does anyone know if you can take screenshots without uploading them to Facebook? I hate to spam my friends with countless screenshots from a game they don't even bother.

577936_3172773244418_1418143975_32283583_1751725821_n.jpg

Here's my first screenshot. Does anyone know if you can take screenshots without uploading them to Facebook? I hate to spam my friends with countless screenshots from a game they don't even bother.
No it's the only way. You can set up a dummy account though, that's what I use for stuff like this and promotions.

Linius

Thanks, guess I'll do that.

Do you experienced Minecraft players have some tips for exploring the world and trying to craft new stuff like metals and stuff? Because right now I am a bit afraid to go too far away from my house because I need shelter at night for monsters :p

Also really enjoying the game so far. It's far more entertaining to build stuff then I tought before I bought it.

Top Bottom