• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft XBLA |OT| Don't touch my cactusSsSS

Xater

The PC version is $26.95...

The PC version is that expensive these days? I bought it when it was still in alpha. Well I don't know I think it still should have been at most 1200 points.

Edit: Also the game is NOT discounted for Europeans. Just checked the Minecraft website and it's 19.95€. Because $=€ for MS the game is not discounted here.

The PC version is that expensive these days? I bought it when it was still in alpha. Well I don't know I think it still should have been at least 1200 points.

It is, it's 1600.

I'm sure it'll be worth 1600 in time, just maybe not at launch. It's kind of like an investment if you want to buy it day-one.

so what am I missing when I'm playing this version campared to the PC-master race-version?

A lot in the beginning but it's going to get updates so hopefully it'll end up close to the PC version. It'll never have support for mods or themes though.

The major features missing at launch in my opinion are The End where you can go fight a dragon, increased height limit, NPC villages, "unlimited" space, pistons, animal breeding, and the new hunger/health mechanic.

so what am I missing when I'm playing this version campared to the PC-master race-version?

If you don't worry about what's in the PC version you won't really "miss" anything.

I'm pretty sure that barely anybody on GAF is going to buy the PC version based on the failings of the 360 version, anyone that had any intention of getting Minecraft on PC has surely done it by now.

StuKen

If you don't worry about what's in the PC version you won't really "miss" anything.

I'm pretty sure that barely anybody on GAF is going to buy the PC version based on the failings of the 360 version, anyone that had any intention of getting Minecraft on PC has surely done it by now.

Turd polishing all day. I demand to see your viral marketeer papers now. Its an extremely cut down version built off an old codebase and missing the single biggest draw, the infinite world. That is inexcusable. Any sort of informed customer simply cant gloss over that, no matter how hard you try shill whatever other perceived positives for your shadowy paymasters.

Oh, and no purchase of an xbla game or any digital product can ever be classed as an investment. There are 2 defining features intrinsic to an 'investment'. The possibility of an appreciation in value and the possibility of resale at a later date. Neither of which can occur. So just like minecraft with a finite world a purchase missing those attributes is a hollow facsimile of what you claim it to be and is not worth the capital outlay.

Turd polishing all day. I demand to see your viral marketeer papers now. Its an extremely cut down version built off an old codebase and missing the single biggest draw, the infinite world. That is inexcusable. Any sort of informed customer simply cant gloss over that, no matter how hard you try shill whatever other perceived positives for your shadowy paymasters.

Oh, and no purchase of an xbla game or any digital product can ever be classed as an investment. There are 2 defining features intrinsic to an 'investment'. The possibility of an appreciation in value and the possibility of resale at a later date. Neither of which can occur. So just like minecraft with a finite world a purchase missing those attributes is a hollow facsimile of what you claim it to be and is not worth the capital outlay.

Pfft, I'm not buying Minecraft on 360. All I'm saying is that if someone was going to get it on PC they'd have done it by now. If they're trying to decide whether to buy the 360 version now then it's completely irrelevant what's in the PC version, because you either buy it based on what's there or you don't buy it based on what's there. You can't not buy it for what's not there, because that makes no sense at all. It'd be like refusing to buy Madden 13 because it doesn't have Madden 14's updated rosters yet.

For example, I'm not buying it because the world is too small. I'm not not buying it because the world in the PC version is bigger, because that doesn't have any effect on the 360 version. I am judging the 360 version independently of anything else, and deciding that it's just not big enough. That's the only way to assess this product because anyone that wanted the PC version should really have it by now.

The only reason the PC version is relevant here is because the 360 version might get those features in the future, but it has nothing to do with a decision to buy it now unless you do see it as an "investment," that you're buying a product that might be better in the future, but that's a risk. Not an investment for financial gain, obviously. If you ignore the PC version entirely, then you won't "miss" anything because you won't know what you're missing, but you'll have already decided that what you're getting is worth 1600pts because otherwise you wouldn't have bought it.

But whatever, I'm sure you're just doing PR for some anti-Minecraft group. Is that how this works? Whenever you disagree with someone you just accuse them of doing PR for someone else? Sorry, I'm not entirely sure on the procedure.

I don't know if this was posted: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-minecraft-xbox-360-edition/17-5953/

Damn, that's really disappointing about the limits :/ I was going to purchase it today but, I guess I'll just try out the demo.

There is this:
1024 x 1024 = 1,048,576 <-- Number of surface blocks.
1 chunk = 16x16 = 256
1,048,576 / 256 = 4096 chunks
Average of about 3 diamonds per chunk, so 4096 x 3 = 12,288.

Not to mention most SMP servers I've played on are less than 5000x5000, and those usually have over a hundred people playing on it. With only 8 people... I don't think 1024x1024 is that small - and that's assuming that they'll never increase it, which I think they will eventually with updates.

celebi23

Damn, that's really disappointing about the limits :/ I was going to purchase it today but, I guess I'll just try out the demo.

KaiserBecks

Interesting. I paid 10 EUR for Minecraft and ended up getting 20 EUR worth of content. How isn't that an appreciation in value?

ckohler

That video was painful. The dude playing talked like he'd played before but clearly hadn't. He walked right past diamond, didn't use torches at night and griefed his friend's world. He mistook the moon for the sun. It was 30 minutes of "So, what does that block do?". "Uhh.. I don't know." Then he proceeds to spend two minutes digging straight down through stone using his hands.

Pedant.

Value can be represented in other ways than dollars.

Another thing to note is that a good 1/3 or 1/4 of what is available looks to be water.

Water isn't usually 64 blocks deep though, I don't think. You can still go under it.

bengraven

I paid $13 for it on PC and I put in hundreds and hundreds of hours into it.

More than any other recent mainstream "AAA" game combined.

It's more than worth $20.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'll jump on board. But it's just another notch in the "Microsoft better make all Arcade games backwards compatible" clause I'm holding on my next-gen purchase. I'd hate to have to buy a new edition of the game, or for it to end support just because a new console arrives.

la_briola

That video was painful. The dude playing talked like he'd played before but clearly hadn't. He walked right past diamond, didn't use torches at night and griefed his friend's world. He mistook the moon for the sun. It was 30 minutes of "So, what does that block do?". "Uhh.. I don't know." Then he proceeds to spend two minutes digging straight down through stone using his hands.

You don't watch Giant Bomb videos for their individual player skill. They "all" suck at games, but they are funny dudes.

Sysgen

I'll jump on board. But it's just another notch in the "Microsoft better make all Arcade games backwards compatible" clause I'm holding on my next-gen purchase. I'd hate to have to buy a new edition of the game, or for it to end support just because a new console arrives.

MS already knows the answer to this but hasn't said anything public. Draw your own conclusions.

Eh I'll never play the PC version so I'm thinking I might buy this.

It's hard sifting through the disappointment of PC players to find out if the size of the Xbox worlds will be "good enough for a fun time".

ckohler

You don't watch Giant Bomb videos for their individual player skill. They "all" suck at games, but they are funny dudes.

Fiar enough. It was mildly funny. It was still painful though and certainly not the first video I'd show someone interested in what the game has to offer.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

It's hard sifting through the disappointment of PC players to find out if the size of the Xbox worlds will be "good enough for a fun time".

It'll be fine. Download Total Miner from Indie Games if you want an idea of the map size.

ckohler

I think you'll enjoy it, regardless of world size limits. Most people tend to build a large complex of buildings around their original dwelling and there is plenty of space to do that. I played the PC version for months and kept most of my creations all within the same amount of area available in this version's map. It's more convenient to connect them. There really isn't much advantage to building things far apart.

The only players who might be turned off by this version are people who just want to go walking for like an hour in one direction to see what they could find. In this version, you can probably explore the entire surface of the "island" within an hour and you'll probably be limited to the types of biomes (desert, forest, tundra, ocean) you'll encounter per world.

bengraven

I think you'll enjoy it, regardless of world size limits. Most people tend to build a large complex of buildings around their original dwelling and there is plenty of space to do that. I played the PC version for months and kept most of my creations all within the same amount of area available in this version's map. It's more convenient to connect them.

The only players who might be turned off by this version are people who just want to go walking for like an hour in one direction to see what they could find. In this version, you can probably explore the entire surface of the "island" within an hour. That's not counting exploring underground and exploring the Nether.

Like I said before, I'm intrigued by the idea of a set world limit. There really isn't much advantage to building things far apart from each other, anyway.

Damn, that is pretty limited. That said, if you're only playing with some friends and build your city near spawn it won't be an issue. If they allowed a couple dozen people on one server it would be a huge issue.

ckohler

Damn, that is pretty limited. That said, if you're only playing with some friends and build your city near spawn it won't be an issue. If they allowed a couple dozen people on one server it would be a huge issue.

Yeah, if you had eight people sharing the same world that might matter but I don't see that really being the way people will play this version. For one, the worlds here aren't like servers where eight friends can be building things when you're not around. It's YOUR world and they're just visiting.

bengraven

Well I just saw on Reddit that each world is the same size as the in-game physical map. I want to say that the map itself was really small, but realistically on NeoGAF's last server we were able to fit two large cities into one map.

For NeoCrafters: I was able to fit Al-Medina and Arkyoto on one map and 60% of the map was still wilderness.

So it's not that bad.

Well I just saw on Reddit that each world is the same size as the in-game physical map. I want to say that the map itself was really small, but realistically on NeoGAF's last server we were able to fit two large cities into one map.

For NeoCrafters: I was able to fit Al-Medina and Arkyoto on one map and 60% of the map was still wilderness.

So it's not that bad.

It's a reasonable size for 8 people, to be honest. I don't understand why people are freaking out so much over this.

Also, is the NeoGAF server still up and active? What's the address?

Jo-El

I paid $13 for it on PC and I put in hundreds and hundreds of hours into it.

More than any other recent mainstream "AAA" game combined.

It's more than worth $20.

Same here. It's probably my most played game of all time at this point. I have no problem paying another $20 just for split screen on the tv.

mollipen

Direct comparisons aside, the problem is that a small world really kills the spirit of what Minecraft is. The game is about exploration and survival; about being lost in this gigantic world where you really feel alone and know that you could get lost if you aren't careful. It's a game about just heading off into the horizon to see what you might find, and being amazed at the vast landscapes you come across. It's about starting the game, building something, deciding you don't like what you've made, packing your stuff up, and heading out to find a new home.

All of that is lost in this game.

Direct comparisons aside, the problem is that a small world really kills the spirit of what Minecraft is. The game is about exploration and survival; about being lost in this gigantic world where you really feel alone and know that you could get lost if you aren't careful. It's a game about just heading off into the horizon to see what you might find, and being amazed at the vast landscapes you come across. It's about starting the game, building something, deciding you don't like what you've made, packing your stuff up, and heading out to find a new home.

Isn't the game about building? I'm not looking for a game to wander around in. I want to build stuff.

Haunted

I disagree. He used a sand block to dig through that stone.

Isn't the game about building?
It's a game about whatever the fuck you want it to be, that's the beauty of it.

That the 360 version kills off one of the major avenues people (myself included) had fun with the world is not a good thing. Even if it's "only" a true deal breaker for people interested in that playstyle, it's still hurting the overall idea of Minecraft in spirit, imo. Just knowing that there are invisible walls in this game diminishes the experience, even if you stick to your parcel of land and never encounter them.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

This is bullshit, really. Minecraft to a lot of people is just LEGO: The Game.

Santiako

If you don't like what you've made you can make a new world.

Haunted

Just present this as one of the major themes of the game but not the only one and no one would disagree with you.

It's a game about whatever the fuck you want it to be, that's the beauty of it.

That the 360 version kills off one of the avenues people (myself included) had fun with, is not a good thing. It's a deal breaker for that play style, it's hurting the idea in spirit. Just knowing that there are invisible walls in this game diminishes the experience, even if you stick to your parcel of land and never encounter them.

I can see that.

From my perspective though, I'm not going into the game wanting that. I just want to build stuff with what's available. If what's available is really limited, I would be disappointed. But only if it's in a practical sense. Like, I wouldn't have wandered for a few hours anyway, so it wouldn't matter to me if I couldn't.

Haunted

I can see that.

From my perspective though, I'm not going into the game wanting that. I just want to build stuff with what's available. If what's available is really limited, I would be disappointed. But only if it's in a practical sense. Like, I wouldn't have wandered for a few hours anyway, so it would matter to me if I couldn't.
Yeah, absolutely.

It shouldn't be a deal breaker for people that are mainly interested in the creative/building mode, I think.

DSmalls84

Can anyone recap what the differences are between the XBLA release and Current PC version are? Keep in mind I have never played MC, just read bits and pieces here and there and understand the basic concept of the game.

Top Bottom