• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mini USB Flash Drives on Wii U (so I can stop using a mostly empty HDD)

Ok, so when the Wii U came out I bought a nice big external hard drive for all those games were no doubt going to come out. Now 5 years later it is sitting there mostly empty, just a handful of games and Xenoblade's texture packs, since I had enough room on the internal storage for pretty much everything else.

I doubt I'll really be getting many more Wii U games at this point, and I'd kind of like to not have to keep a mostly empty external drive around it at all times. Does anyone have experience using one of those super tiny USB drives with the Wii U? I know Nintendo recommends against flash drives, but at this point I'd pretty much only be reading from it, not writing. It would be really nice to tiny little nub on the back, and not worry about anything else.

Perfect. Thanks for the info.

I've seen people ask similar things back when it was new, but now that it's been a while I figured people would have a better idea of any issues.

I've had a SanDisk Cruzer Fit Ultra and have had issues with mine, I used to use the 2.0 version which actually is where I first started having problems.

There was a special mode I had to put the USB interfaces in to ensure they don't shut down, I don't remember the combo. I switched to the 3.0 version of this flash drive and unfortunately can't really report how it's been but don't seem to have any issues with it anymore but I bought it near the end of when I was playing my Wii U so never got to test it as much as the first one, which I can definitely attest to had all sorts of crashing problems.

Top Bottom