• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst EA Access Trial Now Live

jett

D-Member
How well does it play? Are any of you having fun running through the open world? Let's leave graphics out the equation for a second.....

Mirror's Edge was always beautiful because of it's art, not because of the tech it was pushing.

That said, the Xbox One version is insanely poor in the IQ department. Thank God I'm
triple
dipping at launch because something tells me the PC version is going to be my main platform after seeing the IQ on display here.

I'll comment on the gameplay once I get past the sections from the Beta.

Hakkesshu

I'm playing on a 770. Are anyone else finding the cutscenes to be completely unwatchable? Like the game runs totally smoothly at 60 on medium settings, but as soon as it transitions to a cutscene it dips down to a slideshow and the audio goes out of sync and it's a fucking mess.

I'm playing on a 770. Are anyone else finding the cutscenes to be completely unwatchable? Like the game runs totally smoothly at 60 on medium settings, but as soon as it transitions to a cutscene it dips down to a slideshow and the audio goes out of sync and it's a fucking mess.
Are the cutscenes still pre rendered?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Cutscenes were a bit choppy for me on a 980, during the beta. Not to the extent that you're telling, but it was enough to be noticeable. And yes, during gameplay it ran perfectly, though I wasn't a fan of the game stopping for half a second to load the next area.

Oh, thanks.
I'm just gonna wait till tomorrow
Working fine for me - no VPN or nowt.

[EDIT -
On a 580, latest (non-Beta) drivers. Fine for me, although just 10 minutes in heh. Gonna wait til the whole thing's downloaded.]

You can play on PC in the US as of now, btw.

no vpn required.

I just played a few minutes.. I'm waiting until I get home though.. my laptop isn't up to the task.

jet1911

More screens!

screenshot-originalccz1o.png

screenshot-originalgxysf.png

screenshot-originalibx3v.png

screenshot-originalegltz.png

As for impressions. The missions are a bit short but it's the beginning of the game so they might get longuer later. The level design of the missions is ok, the level themselves are pretty cool though. Combat is still fun but I know I'm in the minority on this lol.

Zafir

Yeah it's up on the UK Origin now, I had to download it off the game page though. The trial page hadn't updated with the link.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Downloading now on PC, the front page is not updated with the link, but the game page is, so it works. 22GB.

Zojirushi

I'd like some PC impressions, the beta looked rough in spots (background textures on buildings for example). Is that any better now?

Any chance these shots look better in motion? Any kind of temporal AA or whatever magical trickery is used in other games?

Jaggies hurt my brain.

Not story spoilers, just a cool Easter Egg spoiler.
The Jukebox in the Runner HQ plays the new theme song by "CHVRCHES."
It's such a super cool touch, I had a big dumb smile on my face when I played it.

You can turn off your health bar, enemy health bar, the stupid enemy direction crosshair circle and either put Runner's Vision to Classic so it operates like it did in the original or you could turn it off entirely. You can also enable or disable the small dot crosshair.

Basically I switched everything off but the dot crosshair and switched RV to Classic and it looks and feels a lot more natural and less "cluttered" like the Beta felt.

Wasn't a big fan of the first one. It started off well, then got boring due to repetition, and Faith's inability to grab onto things unless you jumped straight on was annoying.

But I'm curious about this one and will check it out. Thankfully there is a trial.

Too bad it's kind of ugly.

EvB

Holy shit. I usually hate when people say this, as 99% of the time it's complete hyperbole, but that honestly looks like a fucking PS2 game. That looks shockingly bad.

It looks worse on my laptop than it does on my TV

Probably because my web browser is scaling that image up to 1440p and I've 60cm away from it.

Are there any PS4 screens?

There is no EA Access on PS4 so you won't see any until release / reviews / twitch. EA Access is only on xbox one and PC.

I was thoroughly unimpressed with beta but I'm downloading now on xbox one (dont have EAA on PC), I think the beta had like... 5? missions so I guess the trial is a little longer.

Top Bottom