• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge: Catalyst - new previews/videos - Closed Beta begins April 22-26th

Jito

Banned
If all you did is play through the campaign or/and basic time trials you're not talking about the Mirror's Edge many of the people who love it are talking about.

"You're not a real fan of the game" Eugh can't believe people seriously spew this shit. You're not some special group that enjoyed the game, people the world over played it.

Liamc723

If all you did is play through the campaign or/and basic time trials you're not talking about the Mirror's Edge many of the people who love it are talking about.

Err what? That is literally everything that was in the original game....

I love the original Mirror's Edge, but this elitist viewpoint is really fucking dumb.

Mman235

"You're not a real fan of the game" Eugh can't believe people seriously spew this shit. You're not some special group that enjoyed the game, people the world over played it.

I said nothing about how much of a "fan" someone is. Just the fact that it becomes a very different game once you go into the high-level aspects, and someone who hasn't done that is in little place to comment on the mechanics or what many people loved about the game (in the same way someone who only plays fighting games casually and pays no attention to the competitive scene has no insight into the balance however much they love the game).

Err what? That is literally everything that was in the original game....

Compared to what you can do you barely even have to scratch the surface of the game to three star the time trials.

Jito

Banned
I said nothing about how much of a "fan" someone is. Just the fact that it becomes a very different game once you go into the high-level aspects, and someone who hasn't done that is in little place to comment on the mechanics or what many people loved about the game (in the same way someone who only plays fighting games casually and pays no attention to the competitive scene has no insight into the balance however much they love the game).

And what does that have to do with the post you were quoting originally, all they said was "people are remembering the game far too fondly". Where are they downplaying the complex mechanics of the game in that post?

Still comes across like you're talking down to people as you're a "true" fan and others know nothing of the game. Really you'd know that competitive scenes for games don't make the majority of sales. The "competitive scene" for ME was a drop in the bucket compared to main stream user sales.

Well put it like this if the original didn't have the depth it does I wouldn't have cared less for a sequel. It would have been an enjoyable game that was unique. Add in the depth and you have something that has the re-playability of character action games like DMC and the racing games such as GT and FM. Not playing Mirrors Edge multiple times and getting into the depth of the gameplay is the equivalent of just playing Bayonetta on easy or driving around a few tracks in a Focus in a racing game.

Mirrors Edge was essentially a environmental puzzle based platform game mixed with racing, it would have made more sense to take inspiration from Portal, Metroid, and Trackmania than it would any open world game. Build up from what made the original really stand out in gameplay terms then craft it towards the mass market. Saying all that Mirrors Edge Catalyst is the only game I'm interested in playing at the moment.

I never said otherwise? Just can't stand people giving the you're not a true fan spiel.

Well put it like this if the original didn't have the depth it does I wouldn't have cared less for a sequel. It would have been an enjoyable game that was unique. Add in the depth and you have something that has the re-playability of character action games like DMC and the racing games such as GT and FM. Not playing Mirrors Edge multiple times and getting into the depth of the gameplay is the equivalent of just playing Bayonetta on easy or driving around a few tracks in a Focus in a racing game.

Mirrors Edge was essentially a environmental puzzle based platform game mixed with racing, it would have made more sense to take inspiration from Portal, Metroid, and Trackmania than it would any open world game. Build up from what made the original really stand out in gameplay terms then craft it towards the mass market. Saying all that Mirrors Edge Catalyst is the only game I'm interested in playing at the moment.

sonicmj1

As long as the movement mechanics are as rewarding as the original game, this version should still allow players to test themselves just as much as the original did. Even the time trials in Mirror's Edge were literally checkpoints dropped into the campaign levels.

Liamc723

Compared to what you can do you barely even have to scratch the surface of the game to three star the time trials.

...So?

EA aren't going to cater to and base a whole around game around the less than 5% of people who went above and beyond everything that was asked of you, even in its hardest time trials.

Mman235

And what does that have to do with the post you were quoting originally, all they said was "people are remembering the game far too fondly". Where are they downplaying the complex mechanics of the game in that post?

That statement inherently does. A few have at least tried, but no-one (Mario aside) has captured the 3D platforming depth of Mirror's Edge; implying rose tinted glasses doesn't work when no other game has done anything like it.

And I hate "true fan" bullshit too, this is about ignorance of what a notable amount of the fanbase got out the game.

BiggNife

I dunno. I played a demo at NYCC last year and enjoyed it, but also I am not happy about that skill tree stuff.

I will absolutely without-a-doubt play this game, but the hype I had at the announcement has deflated a little. I'll probably get it when it's $40 in August.

Horohoro

Some truth in this. I am a huge ME fan I had a record or two on ps3 for a couple levels at one point till hacking was possible :/. I can't wait for the beta. But yes besides just beating the game there were tons of things that were possible that they don't show you in the tutorial/through the game is primarily what your getting at I believe.

DOWN

Banned
Y'all complain Mirror's Edge was too short but rewarding to spend overtime with it to open up the speed and techniques you weren't shown, so DICE makes it longer and more explorable and introduces a system that will build and show the techniques as you spend time with it AND YALL ARE HAVING A FIT

I think it sounds like the game just might be like the first one in that your second or third play through is the most fun because you got more capable and don't get stumped by paths and puzzles so I'm not down for the shitting all over the game attitude. And don't come at me with the "i never complained about those things!" The sales and user reviews say otherwise

The new game has every opportunity to feel rewarding with its systems and structure. So sorry it isn't that underperforming game with underwhelming scores. I love Mirror's Edge to death but I'm seeing why EA waited nearly a decade for the sequel.

Warriorr

Neo Member
I'm pretty shocked by the reactions in this thread.

The game looks good and the movements look fluid. Won't talk about that tree skills, will unlock all the movements and will never use it again.

I'm pretty shocked by the reactions in this thread.

The game looks good and the movements look fluid. Won't talk about that tree skills, will unlock all the movements and will never use it again.

They just need to show somebody good playing the game rather than your standard press player or promo teaser that is highly scripted. How is the level design apart from open world and how does the open world improve the gameplay, lets see the different ways you could get to a specific area. What is the link up system like, etc. I'm sure the current stuff is ticking a lot of peoples boxes but I'm not necessary looking at the surface stuff I want to see similar things that I liked in the original or what the new system brings to the table. They don't have to spend thousands on a slick campaign to show this stuff either just get a dev that understands the system to do a livestream for 20 mins or so.

Beerham

Banned
Looks awesome to me. I'm on the fence about whether or not I like the skill tree aspect since I liked how tricky and complex you could get with things in the first game; this seems like it would inhibit that. More than likely the flow of gaining the skills sort of progresses along with the changing environment so I'll trust the developer knows what they are doing. I think they may have borrowed this from Dying Light and wanted to incorporate similar RPG elements to keep people going. We'll see how it is in the end but I'll be there day one.

Didn't ME1 average at about a 7 across media reviewers? That turned out to be my favorite game that year so fuck all this noise.

Right the ranting side of me is gone now with this, I'll just suck it up with the XP ability tree, because the game actually looks like what I want, will be maxing the movement skill tree out 1st as long as there aren't any stupid requirements to unlocking certain skills like Assassin's creed and other Ubisoft games.

Oh Christ I hope we don't see a shortcut pack for £5 or $5 to unlock all abilities instantly sorry just my cynical side showing a little.

Llyranor

Oh shit, ha ha! :)

Y'know, I do hope for the best. I really do. That this is some kind of natural curve and it ends up being no big deal. But man... this kind of thing goes wrong so many times.
A better kind of natural curve is that the early levels/missions can be done by using basic moves, but still rewarding higher-skill players who would be able to reach harder-to-reach paths/shorcuts. NOT by making those paths/shortcuts inexistant because no one has access to those skills (instead of simply not requiring them to go through the basic path).

offshore

Ugh, EA/DICE don't have a fucking clue, do they. This is isn't Deus Ex: there's absolutely no need for this type of XP system. If they wanted to give the player extra abilities, at least do it naturally as the story progresses. This type of shit is just... ugh.

Dartastic

Disappointed by the skill tree.

I hope there is a new game plus - will spend the first run through unlocking all skills to fully enjoy a second. Would have much preferred all moves being available from the off.

Not 100% sold on this game as of yet though; a shame as the E3 announcement literally got me out of my seat.
It's the way they're handling it in game. Some of those skills are quite literally basic things from the first game. Quick turning as an unlockable skill is absolutely bonkers. You absolutely need it to do things like run up the side of the wall, quick turn to snap to the direction parallel to where you want to go, and jump.

I'm fine with them adding skill trees for certain aspects of the game such as combat or perhaps adding new skills that weren't available in the first game, but the core moves from the first game should absolutely be unlocked from the get go. I'll still buy the game because I really, really want a new Mirror's Edge but damn that's dumb.

I've just made peace with the fact that I'm going to have to use cheatengine to give myself unlimited XP. It's kind of sad that it's come to this, but the end result will be the same--no XP in playthrough.

sonicmj1

Oh shit, ha ha! :)

Y'know, I do hope for the best. I really do. That this is some kind of natural curve and it ends up being no big deal. But man... this kind of thing goes wrong so many times.
I understand the skepticism. I was burned hard by EA's own SSX reboot which made plenty of changes that could have worked on paper, but left the game feeling very different in practice. I'd hate to see that happen here.

It's encouraging that the Eurogamer story observed the tech tree doesn't start entirely empty. So there's a good chance that some of the basics like the roll don't have to be unlocked even if some more advanced moves, like the quick turn, do.

I tried play the first game with some less gamey buddies and we had to turn it off after a while.

Some just couldn't get the hang of it.

Putting quick turn behind an xp wall is shit but I can understand the reasoning behind it.

A-V-B

I understand the skepticism. I was burned hard by EA's own SSX reboot which made plenty of changes that could have worked on paper, but left the game feeling very different in practice. I'd hate to see that happen here.

It's encouraging that the Eurogamer story observed the tech tree doesn't start entirely empty. So there's a good chance that some of the basics like the roll don't have to be unlocked even if some more advanced moves, like the quick turn, do.

Rolling absolutely has to be unlocked. That was confirmed yesterday in the Giant Bomb quick look.

You know, I've never been one to bash a game before it even comes out. But man does it feel like they are missing the mark on this one. I always looked at Mirrors Edge like a racing game, stopping your momenum was a felt penalty and getting to your destination was the most important thing.

Skill system? Experience? Activating billboards? Random npc side quests? Fight system with health bars? What the fuck.

It's odd they thought peoples favorite aspect was the adventure component...

DOWN

Banned
Rolling absolutely has to be unlocked. That was confirmed yesterday in the Giant Bomb quick look.
Unlocked as in maybe it takes no grind and just happens early in the campaign by the time you need it or whatever.

Llyranor

I tried play the first game with some less gamey buddies and we had to turn it off after a while.

Some just couldn't get the hang of it.

Putting quick turn behind an xp wall is shit but I can understand the reasoning behind it.
Instead of taking control away from the player, design the early game so that it can be accomplished via either a more basic path but still reward higher-skill via some shortcuts.

I'm reminded of the first or second time trial in ME1. You had to climb up a rotating staircase. When that level was in the campaign, I just ran up the stairs. However, to get stars in the time trial, you had to find ways to shave time off, including wall-jumping to the next level instead of using the stairs.

But, if you lock away basic skills (like quick-turn), you can't wall-jump up from floor to floor. You're forced to use the stairs. It's unnecessary handholding for the more experienced player.

The learning curve should be mostly due to clever level design, not to an artificial xp system. Use the xp system to unlock superhuman skills if need be, not basic ones.

I hate it just as much when a shooter-RPG locks away half-competent aiming behind its xp system.

Instead of taking control away from the player, design the early game so that it can be accomplished via either a more basic path but still reward higher-skill via some shortcuts.

I'm reminded of the first or second time trial in ME1. You had to climb up a rotating staircase. When that level was in the campaign, I just ran up the stairs. However, to get stars in the time trial, you had to find ways to shave time off, including wall-jumping to the next level instead of using the stairs.

But, if you lock away basic skills (like quick-turn), you can't wall-jump up from floor to floor. You're forced to use the stairs. It's unnecessary handholding for the more experienced player.

The learning curve should be mostly due to clever level design, not to an artificial xp system. Use the xp system to unlock superhuman skills if need be, not basic ones.

I hate it just as much when a shooter-RPG locks away half-competent aiming behind its xp system.

I completely agree with you but the system you're describing is pretty much what the first game did. My personal experience is that people were overwhelmed by the unusual controls and I guess the developers think that contributed to the games commercial failure.

Behold.

JolFvy4.png

Check out how far down the tree it is, too.

This is gonna be one of those images that will be reposted for years to come as a prime example of how to fuck up game progression. It'll be DICE's "press A to awesome" moment.

If I had more skill/time I'd do a photoshop version replacing Faith with Mario with Long Jump, Fire Flowers, climbing, running, and wall jumping locked behind bullshit pointless skill trees.

A-V-B

That music made me feel like I was being punched in my ears.

EA should send out free Solar Fields music to all publications :)))

No, this is actually very dumb.

But I'm getting bored seeing everyone talking about this when we could talk about the stunning visuals, fluid movements ect.

So why don't we talk about Mirror's Edge 1. I loved wallrunning! The colorful lobby rooms in the middle of missions were breathtakingly calm!

That statement inherently does. A few have at least tried, but no-one (Mario aside) has captured the 3D platforming depth of Mirror's Edge; implying rose tinted glasses doesn't work when no other game has done anything like it.

And I hate "true fan" bullshit too, this is about ignorance of what a notable amount of the fanbase got out the game.
Have you played Mirror's Edge Catalyst?

If the real depth of Mirror's Edge 1 was as you put it - not obvious at first glance. Then unless you've put in a decent amount of time into Catalyst and only watched video game journalists (who of course wouldn't have your understanding of its possible depth) playing the first section of the game. I dont see how you could even judge this game as lacking as of yet.

This game could very easily have something for everyone. A first playthrough with modern style progression for more mainstream users - with an insane speedrunning new game plus with all skills unlocked allowing new techniques and routes in early levels. I could also mention the user created routes which could be a whole new level of depth.

A-V-B

This is gonna be one of those images that will be reposted for years to come as a prime example of how to fuck up game progression. It'll be DICE's "press A to awesome" moment.

Best case scenario, all of her movement is unlocked like... 20 minutes in and we forget about this whole sorry affair.

Hopefully.

No, this is actually very dumb.

But I'm getting bored seeing everyone talking about this when we could talk about the stunning visuals, fluid movements ect. Let's move on, please.

When I think of Mirrors Edge I don't actually think of fluid controls, when I was learning the game yes but when I got it down I think more precision. More this rather than this.

Best case scenario, all of her movement is unlocked like... 20 minutes in and we forget about this whole sorry affair.

Hopefully.

I really hope so. I can't really see myself buying the game for full price on Day 1 if I'm going to be subjected to skill trees. It's been flying under my radar already as it is, big strikes against it like this one are most likely to bump it down to "buy it when it's $10" status.

As a massive fan of the first game, everything I have seen from Catalyst has left me cold. At least I still have Titanfall for my parkour needs.

KooopaKid

Banned
I really like what I'm seeing. Doing generic open-world quests in this game will not be a problem with a traversal system this fluid and fun.

A-V-B

Those of you who are really good at the first game, when you pick up the game (or somehow get into the beta,) would it be possible for you to post impressions on how responsive the movement is compared to the original?

Top Bottom