• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge: Catalyst - new previews/videos - Closed Beta begins April 22-26th

Theorry

Loading times and checkpoints needs some work. Just died and it dropped me way way back. Graphics aside.. The gameplay feels good. Just like the first game the running etc feels fluid and you can keep up the flow easy. I liked the combat also atm. Feels like you are a bad ass with some moves.

NeoRaider

Man this isn't encouraging. I thought that when they recommended the 280X getting 60fps would be easy. Maybe on high I'll get that.

Yeah it doesn't sound great but we still don't know what exactly is recommended for. They usually say medium or high settings.

If situation is not much better with the final release i will just lock it to 30fps. Because fps is really not stable at all, it drops from 60 to 30 for no reason. But it's beta, it's expected.
I think that for 50-60fps i should go with High settings once the game is released. There is no way 280x can handle stable 60fps on Ultra, and i think that 970 will have problem getting stable 60fps too.

Theorry

Yeah it doesn't sound great but we still don't know what exactly is recommended for. They usually say medium or high settings.

If situation is not much better with the final release i will just lock it to 30fps. Because fps is really not stable at all, it drops from 60 to 30 for no reason. But it's beta, it's expected.
I think that for 50-60fps i should go with High settings once the game is released. There is no way 280x can have stable 60fps on Ultra, and i think that 970 will have problem getting stable 60fps in this game.

Believe jackfrags said he played on a I7 with a 980 and had 1080p on ultra with 60fps. Could be they played a newer version offcourse at the press showing couple of weeks ago.

16GB is the recommended ram setting so that could be the issue

Wait... 16GB is recommended? I'm just planning my first gaming PC build in 10 years and I didnt think we'd be seeing any games where 16 even made a difference for another few years.

Shit, maybe i should just go 32GB from the start lol!

Kezen

Banned
Wait... 16GB is recommended? I'm just planning my first gaming PC build in 10 years and I didnt think we'd be seeing any games where 16 even made a difference for another few years.

Shit, maybe i should just go 32GB from the start lol!

16gb is the sweet spot nowadays if you plan on playing AAA games on PC.
It's not unheard of to have games asking for >10gb of system ram.

Theorry

Who knows how old this build is.

Because some of the Background City stuff looks kinda bad.

Yeah i just got to that section with the view over the city and its just one blur. Like 360 blur. No way its gonna look like that at the end. I mean the Xbox is not a beast but its not that crap also. Atm Battlefront looks 10x better.

screenshot-original1uqssl.png

Cutscenes after the Opening arent prerendered from my experience.
Oh okay. Makes sense, would've been very odd in 2016 :p
Yeah i just got to that section with the view over the city and its just one blur. Like 360 blur. No way its gonna look like that at the end. I mean the Xbox is not a beast but its not that crap also. Atm Battlefront looks 10x better.

Idk, 60fps is really hard. Especially in games this big. I'm sure it'll be better but if it's currently 720p60 I don't see it moving :/ Frostbite doesn't seem to do too hot with XB1 hardware.

Yeah, that looks like something's gone wrong. Textures aren't fully loaded which aren't helped by the clearly sub-1080p resolution.

Kezen

Banned

I doubt it's going to look much better honestly. FB3 60fps games have been 720p on XBO and Battlefront's IQ is atrocious.

No surprise for me either way.

Frostbite did the pre-rendered/movie cutscene to in-game transition in NFS.
Those cutscenes still had real time elements tho, like your car would be added to the video

Most games nowadays forgo pre-rendered for space reasons & because high poly character models can work at runtime now

We'll see I guess :p

Theorry

Oh okay. Makes sense, would've been very odd in 2016 :p

Idk, 60fps is really hard. Especially in games this big. I'm sure it'll be better but if it's currently 720p60 I don't see it moving :/ Frostbite doesn't seem to do too hot with XB1 hardware.

Looks more like 720p with low settings atm. Wich seems to be abit to low.

Looks more like 720p with low settings atm. Wich seems to be abit to low.
We will need to wait til release because Battlefront improved significantly performance wise between the beta and release but LOD is usually one of the first things to get culled to hit 60fps on consoles so I don't think that sort of stuff will improve. Hopefully they will apply better AF to the textures tho as they seem very blurry.

Frostbite games in general since the start of this Generation havent changed their target framerate and resolution after a Beta or even since the first 60FPS FB game on this Consoles..

Especially the games from DICE Sweden really havent changed in regards to Resolution and FPS. Its kind of a shame. But the Dev isnt really to blame here.

Lets look mainly at the 60fps Frostbite games:

• BF4 Retail = 720p60fps XboxOne and 900p60fps PS4 (First ever new Gen Frostbite Game)
  • Hardline Beta = 720p60fps XboxOne and 900p60fps PS4 (Same specs for Retail)
  • Battleffront Beta = 720p60fps XboxOne and 900p60fps PS4 (Same for Retail)
  • ME Catalyst Beta = 720p60fps XboxOne and 900p60fps PS4
  • Garden Warfare 2 Beta = 900p60fps XboxOne and 1080p 60fps PS4 (Same for Retail)

In most of the cases the 60fps werent quite achieved in this Betas but the Full Versions got really nice optimized and almost locked at 60fps. Battlefront is the best example of that. So i hope Mirrors Edge will follow this trend.

But yeah this probably wont change anytime soon until new Console Hardware drops.

I cannot seem to play the PC version at the moment. I launch it, and then after a long loading the game crashes. I guess I should try tomorrow?

Waaghals

I'm pretty sure I signed up, but can't seem to find a confirmation email. Shit, I might have forgot.

Really wanted to see how this plays.

If someone for any reason has a PC, PS4 OR Xbox One code to spare.....

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm pretty sure I signed up, but can't seem to find a confirmation email.

They're apparently sending the e-mails out tomorrow while people are able to get codes from DICE today.

Yes, it boggles my mind how badly they've mismanaged this.

They're apparently sending the e-mails out tomorrow while people are able to get codes from DICE today.

Battlefront was the same tho

DICE employees were giving out codes a day or two before emails went out

DOWN

Banned

How is it mismanaged? Early promo codes for special people promoting the game, normal beta start is tomorrow with normal codes.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
How is it mismanaged? Early promo codes for special people promoting the game, normal beta start is tomorrow with normal codes.

Frontrunners should get codes today to get their downloads done before the "beta stats" tomorrow. Not everyone is on blazing fast 1000Gb connections and EA should know this by now.

Top Bottom