• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mistwalker(R&D on a Prototype since FF7)

Also, if it really is going to be on Wii, then I can only imagine the creativity and determination Sakaguchi is channeling from his memories of making Final Fantasy on NES all those years ago based on the parallels that would be at hand with a new start back with Nintendo under the same circumstances of "betting a lot on this project".

grandjedi6 said:
ASH_-_Archaic_Sealed_Heat_Coverart.png

I mean marketing wise on Nintendo's behalf if publishing.
I can't imagine them not marketing the hell out of a console based RPG epic from Sakaguchi... I think that would be part of the deal in the first place, Sakaguchi would have required security from the start in making a deal with Nintendo at this point considering the financial history of Mistwalker thus far and i'm sure Nintendo would be happy to oblige.

wrowa

Ether_Snake said:
It's normal that they would have dev kits for every system in the studio.
Aren't dev kits relatively expensive? Why would a studio 'rent' a dev kit when they don't plan to develop a game for the console the dev kit is for? Sounds a bit senseless to me. And even if it's normal to own a dev kit for every console, why would they have the Wii plugged into the TV (as the sensor bar and the wiimote implies) if they don't work on a game for that console? Judging by that picture (and judging by a single picture is kinda silly) it doesn't look like the dev kit is there without a reason.

Anyway, I believe we already talked about that "Mistwalker + Wii" topic some pages back. At least I remember that I said in some context that I hope that Mistwalker's next game isn't going to be a Wii game. Or at least not Wii exclusive.

jeremy1456

-WindYoshi- said:
I can't imagine them not marketing the hell out of a console based RPG epic from Sakaguchi... I think that would be part of the deal in the first place, Sakaguchi would have required security from the start in making a deal with Nintendo at this point considering the financial history of Mistwalker thus far and i'm sure Nintendo would be happy to oblige.

Nintendo was the publisher of ASH.

Point is, Nintendo wouldn't market this title as heavily as their other stuff, nor would such a title be as important as you seem to think.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
-WindYoshi- said:
Also, if it really is going to be on Wii, then I can only imagine the creativity and determination Sakaguchi is channeling from his memories of making Final Fantasy on NES all those years ago based on the parallels that would be at hand with a new start back with Nintendo under the same circumstances of "betting a lot on this project".
See those sort of feelings are the kind likely only to spring from the mind of a delusion fanboy, and while Sakaguchi is crazy, he's not that sort of crazy

-WindYoshi- said:
Are we talking about the same companies here? Nintendo with their history of throwing non-internal titles under the rug and Mistwalker who is desperate enough to accept anyone as publisher at this point.

Also you're acting like this is Sakaguchi's first title in years with all that "monumental" talk, yet he's already made 2 console and 4 handheld titles in the last few years.

-WindYoshi- said:

Kinda like MH3 and DQ X? I just hope they told him "Put a good game on our console and we'll market the shit out of it for you."

Considering the concept I have hopes. Not too high though.

jeremy1456 said:

Point is, Nintendo wouldn't market this title as heavily as their other stuff, nor would such a title be as important as you seem to think.

But ASH wouldn't be nearly as important and wasn't set up to be this major game.

thefro

Nintendo does really make sense considering their outsourcing of games and moneyhatting lately.

I don't think they'd go to the trouble of lining up all the games they did in Japan for the fall and then have nothing else to follow it up until DQ X from a "Japanese core gamer" perspective.

grandjedi6

Bel Marduk said:
But ASH wouldn't be nearly as important and wasn't set up to be this major game.
Again, this is Nintendo of Japan. Importance is determined by whether or not it is internally made, not its potential.

And this entire discussion seems silly considering the game hasn't even been announced or shown yet. How do you know how "important" or "major" this game will be? How do you even quantify such a thing? Hell, we don't even know what system the game will be for yet.

grandjedi6 said:
Again, this is Nintendo of Japan. Importance is determined by whether or not it is internally made, not its potential.

And this entire discussion seems silly considering the game hasn't even been announced or shown yet. How do you know how "important" or "major" this game will be? How do you even quantify such a thing? Hell, we don't even know what system the game will be for yet.

Yeah, it's NoJ, but they seem to have an interest in pushing games lately. I think this would be a good opportunity with Iwata.

I know it's major/important by just reading Sakaguchi's comments on his blog. Do you remember him doing the same thing for ASH? I don't.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Wait whut, why's everyone talking about certainty all of a sudden :(

Teknoman said:
As long as its not an RPGRTS.
Oh yeah, this would be even worse than it not being on console of choice.

Bel Marduk said:
Kinda like MH3 and DQ X? I just hope they told him "Put a good game on our console and we'll market the shit out of it for you."

Considering the concept I have hopes. Not too high though.

Yeah, i'm thinking that such a game from Sakaguchi would be comparable in importance to MH3 or DQX, not something like ASH.

grandjedi6 said:
See those sort of feelings are the kind likely only to spring from the mind of a delusion fanboy, and while Sakaguchi is crazy, he's not that sort of crazy

Be easy man, it's all hypothetical!
I put my "if's" and "maybes".

The thing is, I have a good imagination and feel for human emotion... you might be surprised to hear comments similar to what I have wrote from Sakuguchi himself if the game does turn out to be on Wii... we'll just have to wait and see.

-WindYoshi- said:
Yeah, i'm thinking that such a game from Sakaguchi would be comparable in importance to MH3 or DQX, not something like ASH.

Comparable to MH3 and DQ X is impossible...but I can see them treating this as more important as some other games.

wrowa

jeremy1456 said:

Well, Ash was a just decent SRPG for a platform that doesn't have any problems when it comes to RPGs, while the Wii has a history of not only too less RPGs but also of underperforming ones. The situation isn't really comparable.

Wii's core-gamer market in Japan isn't in a good state and Nintendo really could need some high-budget RPG to gather some attention. Especially since it's pretty obvious that 3rd parties are going to limit their efforts even more in that regard from now on.

grandjedi6 said:
Not really. Importance is determined by the importance of the game. Most of the not internally developed games like Rangisomething, S&P2, Takt of Magic and such are simply no high-profile games with a huge sales potential and therefore Nintendo let's them bomb.

If what you said would be true, Nintendo wouldn't have made efforts to get MH3, SW3 or DQX. They aren't even getting any money from these games after all.

Oh, and to make one thing clear: I doubt that Nintendo is publishing this game even if it should be for the Wii indeed.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
We have no idea what platform this game is for and I think it would be wise for people to cool down for the time being.

schuelma said:
We have no idea what platform this game is for and I think it would be wise for people to cool down for the time being.

Speculation is fun! ...but you're right, so i'll shut up for now.
: P

lsslave

Jew Gamer
imtehman said:
PLZZZZZZZZZZZZ let it be for x360, ps3, and/or PC.

Please let it be for SMS!

See? See how silly it is?

OMG HD GRAPHICS (I have 360, had PS3 just waiting on my new one, running on a 1080P TV and as long as its a WELL made game the graphics don't matter)

PC most likely won't happen, which means it'll either be on 360 or PS3 or Wii (possibly DS or PSP but it seems unlikely since its his "BIG" project)

All it needs to do is be as awesome as Lost Odyssey

grandjedi6

-WindYoshi- said:
Listen, you could hype up a Sakaguchi title like this when it was "From the creator of Final Fantasy, Mistwalker's first title, the HD epic with art from Akira Toriyama and music by Nobuo Uematsu". But nowadays, its clear that a Sakaguchi game isn't that important, especially when it hasn't even been shown or announced yet. The only reason you have for hyping it up as "monumental" is that it might, just maybe, be on the Wii... perhaps. That really isn't a good enough reason to get all excited like this.

madara

No tubes! Tons of exploration, mythology and fables and alot of towns. Crazy iconic animation. There thats sounds great! Proceed!

grandjedi6

Bel Marduk said:
I know it's major/important by just reading Sakaguchi's comments on his blog. Do you remember him doing the same thing for ASH? I don't.
Sakaguchi labeled ASH as a simulation RPG – his favorite genre – and said that he is filling the game with twenty years' worth of his ideas.

It was also announced that ASH is being backed by notable talent in the game development industry. Hitoshi Sakimoto, whose lengthy resume includes the music of Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, and Breath of Fire V, is composing the game's music. Final Fantasy art veteran Hideo Manaba is serving as the character designer, although this is his first endeavor in character design. He has also worked as the Art Director for Final Fantasy VI, IX, and XII, and he worked in the art departments for Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and Super Mario Brothers RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars.

Sakaguchi revealed that he has discussed with Nintendo the possibility of making ASH a series
http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q4-2005/100505b.html

Kuraudo

Banned
Ricker said:
Please god no,when we could have Lost Odyssey 2 ;)

I'd really like to see what a big name designer could do with a more "limited" technology. Kind of like how Inafune followed up two next gen games with Mega Man 9.

Of course, I'm assuming Sakaguchi's actually involved with the iPhone game and it's not just farmed out to an intern while he focuses on his console game.

Maybe I'm just desperate for a good iPhone RPG.

grandjedi6

wrowa said:
Not really. Importance is determined by the importance of the game. Most of the not internally developed games like Rangisomething, S&P2, Takt of Magic and such are simply no high-profile games with a huge sales potential and therefore Nintendo let's them bomb.

If what you said would be true, Nintendo wouldn't have made efforts to get MH3, SW3 or DQX. They aren't even getting any money from these games after all.
I was refering to it marketing wise. When it comes to advertising their games, NoJ has been rather lackluster, apparently.

grandjedi6 said:
Sakaguchi labeled ASH as a simulation RPG – his favorite genre – and said that he is filling the game with twenty years' worth of his ideas.

It was also announced that ASH is being backed by notable talent in the game development industry. Hitoshi Sakimoto, whose lengthy resume includes the music of Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, and Breath of Fire V, is composing the game's music. Final Fantasy art veteran Hideo Manaba is serving as the character designer, although this is his first endeavor in character design. He has also worked as the Art Director for Final Fantasy VI, IX, and XII, and he worked in the art departments for Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and Super Mario Brothers RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars.

Sakaguchi revealed that he has discussed with Nintendo the possibility of making ASH a series
http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q4-2005/100505b.html

OK then.

I still don't think it's the same case here. The Wii needs more good games that can be of good size.

Peff

Teknoman said:
What happened with ASH anyway?

It bombed. Apparently it was also fully translated, but was never released outside Japan. It's not really fair to downplay the new project comparing it to ASH either, because at the time it was actually an anticipated game (it was the first 2 Gigabit game and full of CG).

EDIT: Yep, what grandjedi said :lol

grandjedi6 said:
Listen, you could hype up a Sakaguchi title like this when it was "From the creator of Final Fantasy, Mistwalker's first title, the HD epic with art from Akira Toriyama and music by Nobuo Uematsu". But nowadays, its clear that a Sakaguchi game isn't that important, especially when it hasn't even been shown or announced yet. The only reason you have for hyping it up as "monumental" is that it might, just maybe, be on the Wii... perhaps. That really isn't a good enough reason to get all excited like this.

You're probably right, but I can see an advertising campaign that pretty much goes like this:

1987- Sakaguchi + Nintendo = Final Fantasy
2010- Sakaguchi + Nintendo = ????????????

Working quite effictively. But yeah, Sakaguchi does have a tendency to over promise, and my speculation only adds to the pot... but it isn't impossible.

wrowa

-WindYoshi- said:
You're probably right, but I can see an advertising campaign that pretty much goes like this:

1987- Sakaguchi + Nintendo = Final Fantasy
2010- Sakaguchi + Nintendo = ????????????

Working quite effictively. But yeah, Sakaguchi does have a tendency to over promise, and my speculation only adds to the pot... but it isn't impossible.
But Nintendo had nothing to do with the development of Final Fantasy. Just because it was released on a Nintendo console you can't say "+ Nintendo". The NES was practically the only choice to develop the game on anyway.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
wsippel said:
Is it? The debug unit wasn't all that surprising, but an actual devkit? And it's all set up and sitting on the table. And the even more important question in that case is: where's the 360 devkit? Or the controller? All I see is a sensor bar, a Wiimote, and something that looks like a Wii devkit...

Why would the 360 dev kit be there? No reason to have all the dev kits at the same desk. It just means that either this desk still has a dev kit from when they finished working on a DS game, or is there for prototyping purposes, or they are working on a DS game. I bet you'd turn the camera around and you'd see 360 dev kits too.

And no dev kits are not all sent back after development. Some can be sent back, or they end up being used by another part of the studio.

No one here knows how many people actually work at MW at the moment, we don't know how many projects that have going, how much prototyping is going, etc.

They're probably making a DS or Wii game, no doubt, but just the presence of a dev kit doesn't guarantee anything, that's all.

Ether_Snake said:
Why would the 360 dev kit be there? No reason to have all the dev kits at the same desk. It just means that either this desk still has a dev kit from when they finished working on a DS game, or is there for prototyping purposes, or they are working on a DS game. I bet you'd turn the camera around and you'd see 360 dev kits too.

It does seriously look like they are developing for the Wii though what with all the devkits, and also the photoshopped out wii debug unit a few months ago. While its true that they probably have many different devkits for research purposes (Remedy have PS3 Devkits for example), the evidence is starting to mount up a tad.

Mistwalker themselves aren't big. They outsource a lot of their stuff.

wrowa said:
But Nintendo had nothing to do with the development of Final Fantasy. Just because it was released on a Nintendo console you can't say "+ Nintendo". The NES was practically the only choice to develop the game on anyway.

Actually you can. :lol
It's a useful marketing ploy, doesn't matter if Nintendo had nothing to do with it, the wording here is designed to spark interest through nostalgia and possibility. With this example I was illustrating how even after Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon, it is still possible to use the "from the creator of Final Fantasy" effectively for marketing, and because it would be with Nintendo, this time it could potentially actually work - in a big way. What I mean by this is that BD and LO would have done much better on a system the Japanese actually wanted to own.

wsippel

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
Well, the DS devkit doesn't surprise me anyway. The Wii devkit, all set up and ready to go, does. Sure, it is possible that they just have the thing to play around, do prototypes and stuff. But there are two photos in the gallery showing Wii development hardware, and I haven't seen anything 360 related anywhere. There are only three shots of the studio or something, though, so this isn't conclusive of course.

grandjedi6

-WindYoshi- said:
Actually you can. :lol
It's a useful marketing ploy, doesn't matter if Nintendo had nothing to do with it, the wording here is designed to spark interest through nostalgia and possibility. With this example I was illustrating how even after Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon, it is still possible to use the "from the creator of Final Fantasy" effectively for marketing, and because it would be with Nintendo, this time it could potentially actually work - in a big way. What I mean by this is that BD and LO would have done much better on a system the Japanese actually wanted to own.
2n9i0cx.jpg

2dm9mj4.jpg

imtehman

Banned
lsslave said:
Please let it be for SMS!

See? See how silly it is?

OMG HD GRAPHICS (I have 360, had PS3 just waiting on my new one, running on a 1080P TV and as long as its a WELL made game the graphics don't matter)

PC most likely won't happen, which means it'll either be on 360 or PS3 or Wii (possibly DS or PSP but it seems unlikely since its his "BIG" project)

All it needs to do is be as awesome as Lost Odyssey

i only said this not because of HD graphics, but because those are the consoles i own :lol

Eteric Rice

If I were Nintendo, I would fund Mistwalker as a second party. The guys proved that they can make good games, they just need that extra oomph imo.

Actually, Lost Oddessey was the first JRPG in a long time that had characters I didn't want to strangle. Jansen = The man.

Eteric Rice said:
If I were Nintendo, I would fund Mistwalker as a second party. The guys proved that they can make good games, they just need that extra oomph imo.

Actually, Lost Oddessey was the first JRPG in a long time that had characters I didn't want to strangle. Jansen = The man.

Jansen is still my favorite character of this gen :D

Eteric Rice said:

They should just combine the team with Monolith. It would be the closest we'd ever get to "old Square".

Sipowicz

Banned
a wii dev kit doesn't necessarily mean a wii game, it just means they have a wii dev kit

personally i want the game on psp, wii or oc as those are the systems i own but i'm sure it'll be great wherever it ends up

Top Bottom