• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mistwalker(R&D on a Prototype since FF7)

Quazar

Added to the new page

Update from Sakaguchi

Sakaguchi said:
Something New

New Project Finally Half Way Through

I’ve finally reached half way up the mountain in regards to the latest project I’m on. Of course, there is a lot of work left to do, but I feel it’s approaching something I wanted to achieve. I’m betting a lot on this project.

Oh, and I have an announcement.....
the project, “Cry On,” is no longer in production. I had a lot of special feelings behind the story of the Rock Giant and the young girl, but I regret not being able to go with it.

That being said, I’m starting a completely new, large scale project, different from this. I can’t reveal the platform, release date or the content of the game itself, but I’m putting my full strength into this project; including 120% of my emotions.

“Something new” is always a difficult proposition.
Challenging the idea, I find the energy from myself and sense the feeling of living. Sense of fulfillment; I sincerely feel the importance of it.

It's interesting though how he points out how much he is betting on this game and then talks about a new large scale project start up. Either way I'm excited.

I wonder if he shopped Cry On around to anyone other than Microsoft. I would think that other publishers might be entirely happy to work with him.

badcrumble said:
I wonder if he shopped Cry On around to anyone other than Microsoft. I would think that other publishers might be entirely happy to work with him.
Microsoft wasn't publishing Cry On, it was AQ Interactive, a publishing house he owns stock in.

Why would other publishers be happy to work with him?

icecream

Public Health Threat
Sage00 said:
But they're not.
They just got the startup funds from MS.

badcrumble said:
Except he shopped it to AQ Interactive, not Microsoft.

SimpleDesign said:
Microsoft wasn't publishing Cry On, it was AQ Interactive, a publishing house he owns stock in.

Why would other publishers be happy to work with him?
Ah, okay.

I don't know, I just think that he's respected and BD/LO were respectable enough that on less of a blockbuster budget his games might be a pretty decent success. It's not like he's cursed or hasn't made some great games or anything.

Quazar

Id be interested in seeing Sakaguchi touch upon some online elements. He's a big MMO fan so I find it hard to believe he doesn't have any ideas. But if it's going to be some side garbage add-on to SP, no thanks. I'd rather him focus just on SP tbh.

PSGames

Quazar said:
Added to the new page

Update from Sakaguchi

It's interesting though how he points out how much he is betting on this game and then talks about a new large scale project start up. Either way I'm excited.

He speaks with such passion. After Lost Odyssey I can't wait to see what he has instore for us next.
Just don't me wait too long for a sequel damnit!

Quazar

SPEA said:
I think an online/PSO game from the Guch man would be pretty sweet. I'd play it in a heartbeat.

If so, I hope he goes 360/PC route. Maybe even a PS3 version. But than again who could he get to develop such a title. :lol

I'm not trying to trigger up something here but looking at it it is extremely obvious to see why all of Mistwalker's games bombed.

While Blue Dragon was very successful in Japan it didn't fair too well off with the rest of the world. IMO it was probably due to it being too archanic, cartoony, coming out in the wrong time, and overall not being a real big deal in the first place being that the game was well not that good.

The DS titles bombed for the same reason why so many other DS RPGs' bombed or underperformed during that time. The market was just overflooded and your typical SRPG and other games he made just didn't stand a chance when far more ambitious projects were heading the systems way.

The only title that was successful on a world-wide selling (Yes I know it didn't fair well in Japan that's why I bolded this) basis was Lost Odyessy. And to me it succeeded by coming out at the right time. The game came out long enough after all of the big hitters on the console that people would look at it as "the next must play exclusive" to move onto and it didn't precede a game too close that people would just wait for the other bigger title. By my memory the closest big 360 title after Lost Odyessy was Ninja Gaiden II at the time. And because of this the game easily garnered up strong word of mouth despite some average/slighly above average reviews.

I think if Sakaguchi wants this company to stay afloat as well as being able to receive a budget to make the games he wants to make as well breaking even he has to understand just how he should market these games. This isn't 1999 anymore. JRPG's are now niche in the West and aren't really the big thing in Japan. When trying to sell a niche/specific genre the key of it is when you release the game. And releasing the games during a game that's hyped to the second coming of Christ (Bioshock) that is the begining of the consoles arguably strongest holiday season or when the market is absolutely flooded with games of the same genre, it's a decision that will only lead toward disaster, especially if there aren't that many unique qualities about the game in the first place.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
I'd prefer a cinematic, narrative-driven RPG, like Lost Odyssey. He seems to mention an emotional investment repeatedly, which indicates this might be the case.

I've never been emotionally attached to an MMO.

Quazar

To be fair LO was released in Feb. 08 in the US? I think we can blame the publishers and shit reviews for his game failings. Although LO wasn't really a 'bomb'.

I agree with the above about wanting a SP game. Though I'm open too see a game with online elements.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Yay more Mistwalker games!

I'm playing through Lost Odyssey at the moment and I'm seriously finding it more enjoyable than any of the Final Fantasy games :lol

Quazar

So a very nice update:
Sakaguchi said:

Planning to basically put importance on having seamless control of the overall direction of the game, mixed with CG spectacle scenes. Controls will have a bit of a trick to it, while having a blend of RPG-type strategy and growth. Behaviors based on interaction with the situation around you...wait, I'm not supposed to say more than this… (^^;

Sometime this year, it seems I'll be able to announce what this new project is. During that time, we will try and post model artwork, behind the scenes stories, as well as introductions to staff who worked on the development. With all the different elements and staff putting their "heart and soul" into it, it feels different from projects until now, but in a good way. Please look forward to it.

http://www.mistwalkercorp.com/en/column_eng/pg115.html

And a Sakaguchi story concept:

Sakaguchi said:
Year 2x00.
People who left Earth and moved to Mars.
Afforestation has progressed perfectly, with the planet terraformed to the point people call it a second home. Yet, there is something that still undermines peoples' hearts. The feeling of nostalgia. Or the planet's gravity which the DNA clings. An illness of the human mind in the most core people...
But they couldn't return to Earth. After the complete ruin of global warming, Earth was overtaken by an intelligent, mutated plant. But people still wanted to live there. Even if danger came pouring down on them like a torrential downpour...

The virtual world system, "reDREAM," was born out of those peoples' desires. It was designed to fill people's hearts by simulating present Earth, down to the ruins. It simulated the equivalent experience of returning to "present Earth."

Fifth Avenue, New York.
The street is dominated by green. You could see old remains in some locations. A young man named Jura is teleported here by holograph hypnosis equipment. By jumping into this virtual world, he came to overcome his feelings about Earth he could not supress successfully.
He was given a suit from the start, attached was a gun that was charged with a special bullet. This world was ruled by a plant creature called a “Moving Plant.” Before making the trip, it was explained to him that while deeply synchronized, there is a potential for damage that can be done to your soul. He signed a very thick contract which states he is solely responsible for his actions. As Jura was being instructed, he went into the human habit area spread underground, an area designated based on data by an eternally orbiting satellite. Yes, this is the form of present Earth.

A mob suddenly show up in front of him. Caught up in the flow of people, he is taken to inner part of a town. Water from numerous plants covered the underground. Unpleasant drizzle rains and there is a lot of humidity. Puddles of water on the ground is dirty and foul, with all sorts of infections and disease everywhere. The latest hybrid vaccine protects humans, but virus’ mutated every five years, bringing humans close to extinction numerous times. But people still live here on Earth. Leave it to instinct to survive.

A warning siren roars. It’s a Moving Plant attack. Those able to fight, go to the battle field via a warp machine. Several men begin to run. One is a PC (Player Character) who had accessed the virtual world like Jura. Jura readies himself, holds his gun and throws himself into the light of the warp. Humans have to the protect where they live.

A gunfight had already stared. Jura joins the battle. Various information comes out of a terminal unit by a nearby guide map, looking like a contact lens. He rescues a fallen friend nearby and infiltrate even more deeper into the battle. When it comes to a Moving Plant, there is potential to defeat it by destroying the main body, which controls the intelligence.

Jura enters an area in the building where a green fog gathers. This was the most troublesome area. If you inhale the small groups of spores that look like fog, they can take over your soul. Allies could suddenly turn and become an enemy. The inside of the building is completely overtaken by the Plant. Sometimes ivy-like plants break through the ceilings and walls, twining toward them. The building itself is an enemy.

Jura teams up with his allies and succeeds in defeating the main body. He goes back to town using the warp machine. A large number of his allies who fought together with him are moving in the same direction. They are able to receive a reward based on the number of Moving Plants defeated, recorded on the gun they used. Jura also receives a reward, but instead of checking his spiritual damage, he has a hard to explain feeling of relief when thinking of his hometown, making him return to reality of his Martian world…

He is already showing symptoms of dependency to the “reDream,” but thinks it’s fine. Jura realizes he couldn’t have endured Martian life without this virtual world. These strong feelings can also be called being addicted to home. Is it a necessity for life forms? Or is it just spoiled behavor and a simple admiration of a motherly figure…

The origin is a red star, while the heart points towards the blue star.

http://www.mistwalkercorp.com/en/column_eng/pg114.html

Can duckroll contain his excitement?!

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Quazar said:
So a very nice update:

http://www.mistwalkercorp.com/en/column_eng/pg115.html

And a Sakaguchi story concept:

http://www.mistwalkercorp.com/en/column_eng/pg114.html

Can duckroll contain his excitement?!
Jura enters an area in the building where a green fog gathers. This was the most troublesome area. If you inhale the small groups of spores that look like fog, they can take over your soul. Allies could suddenly turn and become an enemy. The inside of the building is completely overtaken by the Plant. Sometimes ivy-like plants break through the ceilings and walls, twining toward them. The building itself is an enemy.
I'm sorry, but is he describing a Marlboro here? I hate those things.

Aeana

Sounds like it's not a straight RPG. Mistwalker's non-RPGs have all turned out to be pretty mediocre, so I can't say I'm too excited just yet.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I don't have as much faith in MW projects on the handheld side anymore so I really want to know what this big console project is. I'm glad it'll be announced this year.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
After the complete ruin of global warming, Earth was overtaken by an intelligent, mutated plant. But people still wanted to live there. Even if danger came pouring down on them like a torrential downpour...

This makes perfect sense.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So this is basically Total Recall, where at the end you learn that it wasn't a mind trip but it was real or something?:p

And I remember some artworks for this game, with the city taken over by vegetation. Someone post them.

Kyoufu

I don't think I like any MW game yet but excited to see what new things Sakaguchi will be trying this time.

Haunted

duckroll said:
So... excited...... cannot express....... how much...... I care.....!
Maybe I should post the caring continuum and you try to point at your current level of caring with the last ounce of your strength or something?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Ether_Snake said:
So this is basically Total Recall, where at the end you learn that it wasn't a mind trip but it was real or something?:p

And I remember some artworks for this game, with the city taken over by vegetation. Someone post them.
This?

22cl5z.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Nirolak said:

Hmm I think it was with that batch but I recall a city, some glass windows, blue sky, lots of green vegetation all over the place. It look like a regular American city street.

Maybe I dreamed it?

PSGames

Nirolak said:

This has definitely peaked my interest. But I don't think the story concept is from the new game. He's so secretive about everything concerning it I doubt he would have released the story like that.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I think I dreamed it. Or I confused it with another game.

Never been into JRPGs (whcih this appears not to be) but I just bought Blue Dragon for $35AU and I REALLY enjoy it, so I'm looking forward to this one.

Might need to pick up LO too later on.

PSGames said:
This has definitely peaked my interest. But I don't think the story concept is from the new game. He's so secretive about everything concerning it I doubt he would have released the story like that.

you mean 'piqued' your interest yeah?

PSGames

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Never been into JRPGs (whcih this appears not to be) but I just bought Blue Dragon for $35AU and I REALLY enjoy it, so I'm looking forward to this one.

Might need to pick up LO too later on.

Ah man get LO first chance you get. Best JRPG this gen IMO.

you mean 'piqued' your interest yeah?

Yeah, yeah you got the point though :lol

PSGames said:
Ah man get LO first chance you get. Best JRPG this gen IMO.

Yeah, yeah you got the point though :lol

I hear good things about LO, and graphically from what I've seen, it looks amazing.

Like I said, I'm not normally a JRPG fan, that's all. Blue Dragon, I played the demo and didn't mind it.

I only picked the game up because I found it dirt cheap.

If I see LO cheap enough, I may get it.

Top Bottom