• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto Photo at E3 Xbox Booth: notices the "Mii-toos"

Slacker

Bren McGuire said:
Since Nintendo clearly invented the concept of stylized figures representing people in online spaces he has the right to be upset.
Your razor sharp commentary will ruin us all!

Guybrush Threepwood said:
How the hell does he do this?
Weighted shoes, there's a picture of the patent somewhere. Ahh this brings back memories of me and my friend arguing for HOURS on how it was done

Guybrush Threepwood said:
How the hell does he do this?

He is Michael Jackson.

sxorc4.jpg

Gilgamesh

Zoramon089 said:
Weighted shoes, there's a picture of the patent somewhere. Ahh this brings back memories of me and my friend arguing for HOURS on how it was done
Weighted shoes? If by weighted shoes you mean, shoes that hook onto the floor of the stage through locking mechanisms in the heels, then yes.

Gilgamesh said:
Weighted shoes? If by weighted shoes you mean, shoes that hook onto the floor of the stage through locking mechanisms in the heels, then yes.

Err yeah, that's what I meant. Haven't seen the pics in a long time but I know there was some mechanism in the back part

oldschoolpinball said:

:lol :lol :lol
WTF, all the police had to do was stop moving and he'd have crashed into them...wtf...

Darklord

Banned
He thinks he created this? Miis are just a concept from years ago, over dozens of different things. He borrowed the idea too.

But his expression in those pictures is awesome.:lol

Darklord said:
He thinks he created this? Miis are just a concept from years ago, over dozens of different things. He borrowed the idea too.

A concept that was used and then rejected by the public years ago is not the same as a concept that has been embraced by the public and is currently unique to the industry's Goliath.

Also would be intereted in seeing how these alleged proto-Miis were featured in a number of games, could be traded with friends, etc.

MisterHero

Darklord said:

But his expression in those pictures is awesome.:lol
Dude the man had a whole presentation about how Nintendo had them and no one but Miyamoto was interested in using them for anything.

Know your Miyamoto, son

Darklord

Banned
Count Dookkake said:
A concept that was used and then rejected by the public years ago is not the same as a concept that has been embraced by the public and is currently unique to the industry's Goliath.

Also would be intereted in seeing how these alleged proto-Miis were featured in a number of games, could be traded with friends, etc.

The Sims would be the biggest. Creating a virtual you. The idea has been on tons of things though from IM chat programs to various sites.
Just because Mii's can be in a (very)few games and traded only means they have enhanced it, not created it. Just like Microsoft.

MisterHero said:
Dude the man had a whole presentation about how Nintendo had them and no one but Miyamoto was interested in using them for anything.

Know your Miyamoto, son

Yeah that took me by surprise how he had Mii's planned since, was it the NES or SNES? One of those but he even had pictures of it. Don't underestimate the creativity of Miyamoto

Darklord said:
The Sims would be the biggest. Creating a virtual you. The idea has been on tons of things though from IM chat programs to various sites.
Just because Mii's can be in a (very)few games and traded only means they have enhanced it, not created it. Just like Microsoft.

He seriously developed the idea way back in the 16 bit era

Xisiqomelir

Darklord said:

I believe it's the similarity in the artstyle that's the problem here (i.e. they look just like Miis). If they looked like 2nd life avatars or Sims, those fanbases would also take issue with the rip-off.

Xisiqomelir said:
I believe it's the similarity in the artstyle that's the problem here (i.e. they look just like Miis). If they looked like 2nd life avatars or Sims, those fanbases would also take issue with the rip-off.
Since when do they look like Miis and dont you make your own avatar in 2nd life?

MechaX

oldschoolpinball said:
*Police Stupidity Car Chase*

All these 'shops about Miyamoto is all fine and dandy...

... But it baffles me to think that a real live car chase might have actually happened like this.

Tab0203

Zoramon089 said:
Yeah that took me by surprise how he had Mii's planned since, was it the NES or SNES? One of those but he even had pictures of it. Don't underestimate the creativity of Miyamoto

He seriously developed the idea way back in the 16 bit era
NES

GDC 2007

288y4pu.png

n6vux2.png

2z68gg5.png

111umqh.png

6rpu77.png

2h705g9.png

shuri

Banned
rezuth said:
If you mean from the NES, yes. They had it at the NES aswell.

Edit: Even got a video for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbaNZ7IwrxY
for some reasons, it does not feel like a real famicom program.. This is very odd. The resolution seems weird; even too high for a nes/fami title. But then again, the ratios and compressions are probably fucking things up.

Even the sound effects dont feel like its coming from your typical nes hardware

Top Bottom