• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto Photo at E3 Xbox Booth: notices the "Mii-toos"

Axord

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
but I think it is time to let NEW YOUNG people develop their own ideas.
Nintendo certainly needs an exit strategy for Miyamoto's inevitable retirement. But to imply that Miyamoto's the only one getting his ideas turned into games seems... not representative of the facts, let's say.

MisterHero

I was going to do more but I got tired so it's half-assed. Here it is though.

Miyamoto-the-movie.jpg

Chris Remo said:
What's the story behind the crazy yellow and black head that keeps getting shopped onto stuff?
That's Wolverine showing his 'O-face' from a really silly cover of one of his books.

Chris Remo said:
What's the story behind the crazy yellow and black head that keeps getting shopped onto stuff?
It's Wolverine from some comic cover months back, with a ridiculous facial expression while clawing someone.

Avrum

MisterHero said:
I was going to do more but I got tired so it's half-assed. Here it is though.

Miyamoto-the-movie.jpg

That's Wolverine showing his 'O-face' from a really silly cover of one of his books.

I would totally buy three copies of the special limited edition velvet lined tin set of this.

M3wThr33 said:
What? He's not on Zelda or Mario anymore. He's said that he'd rather play around the house with his kids and he hasn't ever heard of a lot of the games people mention to him in interviews. I doubt this guy is in touch with the game world anymore.

That's used to his advantage to create million-selling titles.
So when you say "not on Zelda or Mario anymore", are you just kind of pulling that out of your ass or what?

Just because he's not a director doesn't mean he's not involved with development at all.

toypop

master15 said:

The Kanji "全国制覇" means "Win a Championship" if that were in high school sports club, but in business term it means "Domestic Domination". :D
It'll be "世界制覇"(World Domination) next time.

Neomoto

Of course Microsoft is copying. Come on. They even had fucking RARE develop the idea. Microsoft has literally got an army of programmers and everything but yet they make Rare develop it, likely because since they have worked with Nintendo for a long time they are the closest thing they have to take what Nintendo made and "improve" upon it. It also seems that Rare is now their "casual / mainstream" studio which develops software like Viva Pinata and Banjo 360 to also appeal to the mainstream casual instead of only the hardcore and these Avaters fall in line with that.

If Nintendo didn't make the Mii concept, or better worded, if it wouldn't be popular with the mainstream / casuals/ expanded audience then they simply would not have made these Avaters. So yeah, they are copying Nintendo. When asked about the similarity between Mii's and Avaters Microsoft representative said that the Avaters are different because they have necks as well as arms and legs (Mii's don't have necks) and are more customizable. Nintendo have toyed with the idea for 20 years (long before the world saw The Sims or whatever), and finally made a final concept of it that was unique and they set a standard with it that proved to be succesfull so it was quite likely that others would take the idea and expand on it. Not that there is anything wrong with what Microsoft is doing, but to say they didn't copy it from Nintendo is just wrong.

Awesome pictures though, I love the expressions

"You're going DOWN bitch! First to 10 million wins!"

Miyamoto: "(I just got inspiration for a new mega seller!) ..sorry what?"

Duck said:
Those pics are prime photoshop material.

don't disappoint me gaf
these are so awesome that they don't need photoshop

NolbertoS

Love this thread and the gifs. GAF delivers as always. I wonder if Miyamoto ever gets tired of seeing how videogames have progressed since he started. The man probably sees some good ideas, some horrible ideas and where it's heading now. I'm sure MS would offer him any salary he would want if he ever wanted to leave Nintendo.

so1337

toypop said:
The Kanji "全国制覇" means "Win a Championship" if that were in high school sports club, but in business term it means "Domestic Domination". :D
I like your line of thinking.

next.jpg

Pachael

toypop said:

? They've already achieved World Domination with the Wii/DS combination.

Zoramon089 said:
Weighted shoes, there's a picture of the patent somewhere. Ahh this brings back memories of me and my friend arguing for HOURS on how it was done

It's not weighted shoes. They clicked their shoes into some sort of rod sticking up from the stage - there's a video on youtube somewhere where one of the dancers almost falls when trying to get out of it.

VaLiancY

PacoDG said:
Wolverine "O" face photoshop thread... is one of the best GAF shop threads ever. It takes a little bit to really get going, but damn it is good when it hits its stride. Required viewing by all of GAF at least once.

Holy shit. That was an amazing ten minutes of my life. If you could bless me with one more thing, those outline men in sexual positions pasted over pictures. I need that thread.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Zoramon089 said:
Yeah that took me by surprise how he had Mii's planned since, was it the NES or SNES? One of those but he even had pictures of it. Don't underestimate the creativity of Miyamoto

He seriously developed the idea way back in the 16 bit era

I was playing David Crane's Little Computer People on my Commodore 64 in 19-oatcake. I locked him in a closet and starved him to death.

Every single idea from Mii, Animal Crossing, and the Sims was there first.

2lkuq69.gif

Sad news yes, but Miyamoto did not in fact invent everything.

Tab0203

OuterWorldVoice said:
I was playing David Crane's Little Computer People on my Commodore 64 in 19-oatcake. I locked him in a closet and starved him to death.

Every single idea from Mii, Animal Crossing, and the Sims was there first.

2lkuq69.gif

Sad news yes, but Miyamoto did not in fact invent everything.
It's all about "making it (avatars, motion control, rumble, analog stick, pointer for consoles etc) significant".
At least that's how I understand it.

I loved Little Computer People, but I don't remember an avatar creation feature. I could be wrong. It is obviously a precursor to The Sims and similar games (Tamagotchi, Nintendogs). I never played Animal Crossing.

Top Bottom