• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto teases "new franchise" for 2014

fisheyes

Story...

I like a good story to go along with the gameplay. It's hard to create a good original story in an IP that has been beaten to death. Even good stories will seem lacking simply because there won't be that sense of discovery as the world has already been so fully developed in previous titles even if those may not have even been in the same genre... I'm not saying new games set in old worlds can't be good, but it's much harder to make them stand out.

See, I get this. I don't necessarily agree that I want a game with story - I'm just not interested in gaming's piss-poor attempts at narrative, but at least this is a sensible argument. Most of the time, you see people who seem convinced that if, say, Mario Galaxy was the exact same game but with every character replaced with some new one, and thus a new IP, it would automatically be the best game ever, and I can't get my head around it at all.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Some notes. Platinum, Good Fool, Atlus,& Namco are all working on 1st party projects though.

yes, I know. and there are also other internal team workin on "something" that they still have to announce.
your note, to me, just underline and reinforce my previous statement, I think: N should exploit those teams on smaller budget games that could fit well into the "gamers" (and Wii u actual owners are obviously gamers..) tastes, imho
I'd really like a new BW for example, with online and strong gamepad features, and I think that would take shorter time to be developed compared to the huge SSBU

You have to decide if you want to look at it from a gamer or sales perspective. In your first post you discredit some of Nintendo's best-selling games of recent years because they don't appeal to your tastes, and now you discredit other games because they are more hardcore but don't sell as well. You have to decide for one side.
No I don't. If Nintendo wants to appeal to both casual and more "hardcore" gamers, they need games for that. They may have created titles that were immensely popular for the new audience on the wii. However they need something that's popular with the gamers aswell. Something that can stand beside Mario and Zelda. Something that sells well and can attract the traditional gaming audience.

I think as time has gone on, Miyamoto has been less and less hands-on, even with games he's usually attributed as 'creating'. Even with the original Pikmin, he only has a producer credit, with the direction and design being attributed to multiple other people. Of course, we know that he has veto powers over anything being developed within Nintendo, and will demand features be added or removed as he sees fit, but I wonder if he's more of an 'ideas guy' these days. As in he describes what he wants in the game at a relatively high level, and passes it on to other designers who come up with an implementation and fill in some of the blanks.

sfried

Woah...he's 61...Man.

As for new IPs, the question is, will it be created as a AAA franchise in much the same way Pikmin was introduced? I hope its not something as dead as...Steel Diver.

Wasn;t there some Mermaid Rumor floating about?

anyway, I hope it's something cool and not a minigame collection, fitness or music stuff.

i don't hate them as much as other but another Pikmin level type game woul;d be cool..I'm not asking for a Zelda or Mario level game even.

whatever it is...it should be fun.

but no seriously Nintendo needs more games, new IPs, Old IPs, Milked IPs..whatever..just give people enough reasons to buy your shit like you did with the 3DS.

See, I get this. I don't necessarily agree that I want a game with story - I'm just not interested in gaming's piss-poor attempts at narrative, but at least this is a sensible argument. Most of the time, you see people who seem convinced that if, say, Mario Galaxy was the exact same game but with every character replaced with some new one, and thus a new IP, it would automatically be the best game ever, and I can't get my head around it at all.
Galaxy is a gameplay driven game, and they took it out of the normal Mario Lore... It would've been different with another protagonist, but it would've started slowly while the back story was set.

but no seriously Nintendo needs more games, new IPs, Old IPs, Milked IPs..whatever..just give people enough reasons to buy your shit like you did with the 3DS.

I feel as though there's more reason than there was with 3DS in the more or less equivalent time frame.

3DS June 2011 - March 2012
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (June)
Star Fox 64 3D (September)
Pokemon Rumble Blast (October)
Super Mario 3D Land (November)
Mario Kart 7 (December)
Kid Icarus Uprising (March)

Wii U June 2013 - March 2014
Game & Wario (June)
Pikmin 3 (August)
NSLU Limited Edition (August)
The Wonderful 101 (September)
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD (October)
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze (November)
Super Mario 3D World (December)
Wii Party U (2013)
Wii Fit U (2013)
Mario Kart 8 (Spring 2014, so ???)

benjammin

Hopefully it's a proper IP and not some kind of fitness game, minigame collection, or gimmick.

It'll be interesting to see if a new Nintendo franchise can pull some more casual gamers towards the Wii U.

I must admit, I've played the Paper Mario RPGs but not those. They never seemed interesting to be. From what I've read they're full of cringe worthy one-liners and in-jokes.
While the humor in M&L is stronger than Paper Mario, a lot of it has to also do with the expressive sprites that the series boasts. Actually, I would say because the sprites are so expressive and well-animated, that the humor works. If it was Paper Mario or any other RPG it probably wouldn't be able to pull it off nearly as well.

butman

Geno's Mysteryland

200px-Geno_SMRPG.gif

(Where we will see Smithy, Booster & Co.)

Dysun

I'm secretly hoping for Diddy Kong so we can get a thread next year

Miyamoto's new game: It's fucking Diddy Kong

I feel as though there's more reason than there was with 3DS in the more or less equivalent time frame.

3DS June 2011 - March 2012
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (June)
Star Fox 64 3D (September)
Pokemon Rumble Blast (October)
Super Mario 3D Land (November)
Mario Kart 7 (December)
Kid Icarus Uprising (March)

Wii U June 2013 - March 2014
Game & Wario (June)
Pikmin 3 (August)
NSLU Limited Edition (August)
The Wonderful 101 (September)
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD (October)
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze (November)
Super Mario 3D World (December)
Wii Party U (2013)
Wii Fit U (2013)
Mario Kart 8 (Spring 2014, so ???)

Sure but the 3DS was half the price which makes it a lot eaasier. Wiiu needs to be 249.Anyways i hope this is a real new ip and not something like mario kart

jaz013

Banned
"Nintendo, you should create new IPs!!!"
Miyamoto: "New IP coming next year"
"What? No!, it will surely have Mario in it! Why you even bother? We want Metroid, Zelda, F-Zero and Star Fox!"

The internet is such a funny place.

onipex

Why do so many people keep saying his last new game was Pikmin or Wii Music? It was Steel Diver. You may want to forget about that game but I won't let you. Besides he is likely talking about the f2p version of that game.

Why do so many people keep saying his last new game was Pikmin or Wii Music? It was Steel Diver. You may want to forget about that game but I won't let you. Besides he is likely talking about the f2p version of that game.

I dont see why people attribute any of these games to him. He was not the director or did any development work on wii music or steel diver. Miyamoto hasn't directed for a long time

Mariolee

"Nintendo, you should create new IPs!!!"
Miyamoto: "New IP coming next year"
"What? No!, it will surely have Mario in it! Why you even bother? We want Metroid, Zelda, F-Zero and Star Fox!"

The internet is such a funny place.

It's funny because we'll only believe it when we see it? Isn't that just good critical thinking?

Top Bottom