• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto throwing shade at casual gamers

About that...

Devil's Third, Xenoblade Chronicles X. Maybe Hyrule Warriors and Pokken Fighters??(not sure if third party)

They aren't losing much by Ubisoft.

But losing CoD was a hurting blow:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...all-of-duty-advanced-warfare-will-skip-wii-u/

The entire point of Miyamoto's quote is that they've realised that the people they managed to bring in last gen can't be led like that.

Correct. That gamer being the gamer who can pick up motion controls and play. They don't have committed attach rates or buy software often.

But the handheld gamers buy software and are committed to Nintendo, even if it's at arm's length.

digdug2k

I'd buy a Nintendo phone in a heartbeat if they made it. But I don't think the $1 game buying iPhone masses out there will do the same anytime soon.

These are all huge risks.

This is my biggest issue with your argument as a whole. Nintendo by and large has been seen as a conservative, risk averse company. By being that way it has slowly but surely dwindled its user base and popularity to laughable levels. Nearly ever generation Nintendo has played their hand "safe", with the most recent hardware being arguably the most safe in the history of their existence. The only exception to this was (whether people like to admit it or not) was the Wii and Nintendo DS. Outside of the original NES and Game Boy from the 80's, these are the only systems to revert a downward trend.

Nintendo literally has no other option than to take risks in order to survive at this point. QoL sounds already awful in concept, but what do they have to lose? 2D Mario platformers are not changing their fortunes, nor are 2.5D Mario platformers, or hell even 3D Mario platformers. They can keep pleasing the Nintendo loyal day in and day out, but the pie will only continue to shrink. If they want to maintain a global brand they are going to have to, once again, go against the grain to find fortune.

Going mobile is not being risky. Going third party to Microsoft and Sony is not being risky. And releasing another stand alone console, or dedicated handheld is also not being risky. All of these options will lead them down a shit hole where they are drowning in piss.

If Nintendo is to survive they either drastically scale back their operational output, minimizing overhead by going to unified, singular device, that relies entirely off of mid-budget 1st party output (or even micro games), or they take a shot in the dark. I believe they will do the latter.

Shareholders also doubted the success of Wii. Either they have no faith in Iwata and Co. or they show a little bit of trust in the B of D.
inferior product in his presentations..
Still doesn't mean you can talk shit about your potential (and past) consumer market.

Tim Cook isn't that guy. Steve Jobs was. And I respected the fact he would berate a bad/ inferior product in his presentations..
Steve Jobs never once talked down about Windows users. Sure he would've about Windows itself, but never its users.

Nintendo has a good command of market share in both mobile and console
Good command of market share in console? Good joke.

500 billion yen in cash reserves, and are willing to pay for developer support. What more do you want from the company?
Dwindling cash reserves. And those same reserves didn't help Blackberry escape from irrelevance.

and are willing to pay for developer support
Maybe for partnerships to produce their own software, but definitely not third-party.

exfatal

I didn't even know that lol, incredible. Zelda games always reward experimentation, which is one of the most fundamental human behaviors. My physics book opens by describing how kids are curious and all that and says scientists are adults who retain that sense of curiosity about the world from childhood. What happens if I jump off this cliff in Mario Galaxy? What happens if I throw magic powder on this enemy? The answers are always satisfying in Nintendo games. In that sense games like Uncharted, AC, GTA feel like hollow, empty shells of games. They are completely uninteresting to me strictly from a gameplay perspective, nothing ever happens. Maybe, idk, change seasons on the fly to see how an area transforms when going from summer to winter? The water froze, which allows you to get past the river before you get the ability to swim. This is real, interesting gameplay.

man i remember shooting the arrow into the sun to get the fire arrow i was blown away as a kid. Or going around trying to fix your broken sword after spending a shit ton buying the thing, blowing up the statues that give u hints.

Entertainment has intrinsic value. It's a waste of time if you're only looking to gain something tangible, like money. If you stretch the definition far enough you can describe anything as anything. Within the context of videogames, time wasting mechanics can be described fairly specifically.

Let's put it this way. Completing a stage in Mario tests and builds a player's skill, hopefully enough for them to be able to complete the next stage. Within the context of the game design there's nothing to waste the player's time since what they do learn and the skills they build will be relevant to the next challenge. The challenges themselves are distinct and their goal is to be entertaining or "fun." As soon as they complete one challenge the next one opens up. In fact, one measure of quality in design is often how fluidly (for lack of better word) the game teaches players from challenge to another

Now the converse of that is the kind of gameplay that has a lot of fluff. MMOs for instance consists of a checklist style of gameplay that requires players to do repetitive tasks that don't necessarily teach them skills relevant to the next challenge. The typical example is the kill ten rats quest. Another kind is the the kind of gamplay that quantifies progression (via levels or exp bars, items, etc) and sets it behind an energy mechanic, forcing players to either wait to progress or to pay up. In many cases games with energy are further padded out with checklist gameplay. In both cases gameplay is artifically lengthened by wasting the players time because the tasks they require the player to do isn't necessarily relevant to subsequent challenges nor are they entertaining or fun.

Games are defined as sets of rules and restrictions that test the player's skill or luck for the purpose of entertainment of fun. Taking this into consideration it's difficult to call the latter category games at all. It makes sense for Miyamoto to use passive to describe a certain subset of players because even though these players are interacting with the games it's the bare minimum of interaction.

Um wat. Mario Brothers, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Citizen Kane, Angry Birds, Keeping up with the Kardashians are all time wasters. There's no "but playing Mario is intrinsically better than Keeping up with the Kardashians!" You would probably enjoy one over the other, hence what you waste your time on.

If they aren't targeting casual gamers, why on earth is it called the Wii U?! I thought the whole point in keeping the Wii name was so the casual 100 million Wii owners would recognize Nintendo's new console.

Nintendo should've just named the WiiU the PS5. They would sell millions.

Still doesn't mean you can talk shit about your potential (and past) consumer market.

Steve Jobs never once talked down about Windows users. Sure he would've about Windows itself, but never its users.

How did Miyamoto talk shit about his "potential" market? That casual market that were the pick up and play crowd don't buy software. The handheld market will be the heavy lifters in software sales.

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...lains-nintendos-renewed-passion-for-the-core/

"[These are] the sort of people who, for example, might want to watch a movie. They might want to go to Disneyland," he said.

"Their attitude is, 'okay, I am the customer. You are supposed to entertain me.' It's kind of a passive attitude they're taking, and to me it's kind of a pathetic thing. They do not know how interesting it is if you move one step further and try to challenge yourself [with more advanced games]."

"Fortunately, because of the spread of smart devices, people take games for granted now. It's a good thing for us, because we do not have to worry about making games something that are relevant to general people's daily lives."

The smartphone market is halfway there. They just need the push into using a controller.

Also, Steve Jobs insulted everything and anything about Windows and Microsoft, including with the whole Mac vs PC ad campaign, painting PC owners as idiots and the Mac guy(Justin Long) as the laid back cool guy.

Yes, 90% of the games market isn't good enough for you, but for a company that doesn't take many risks, they have a good relative market share in handheld and in console, Wii and Wii U combined.

Remember how bad the 3DS was struggling until a price cut was made?

Haines

Banned
If they aren't targeting casual gamers, why on earth is it called the Wii U?! I thought the whole point in keeping the Wii name was so the casual 100 million Wii owners would recognize Nintendo's new console.

You failed to notice all this was said after wiiu flopped with casuals??

d1rtn4p

First, throwing shade sounds so dumb hehe.

Second, whatever Nintendo does, history shows that they'll still be around after the competition is gone...

Wensih

Miyamoto just sounds bitter. He spent almost a decade creating games that he now says he wants no part in making.

Cynn

Perhaps this is how they feel post Wii U. If Nintendo decides that casuals aren't a viable focus and changes to reflect that mantra... Oh lawd. We are in for a crazy treat next console.

Trike

Which is completely different to let's say, OoT, ALTTP, ALBW, Majora's Mask etc. where you didn't to pad the game to add hours but if you explored and find a secret cave, you would find a Heart/Ruppes or rarely a secret ability/item. It's not because the cave is easy to open (just put a bomb in front of it!) that's it's useless. Most of the time you have to go there to even see the crack or see the hint that something is located here. In assassin's creed, if the game didn't told you where to find all the collectibles, would you look for them? Like really?

For the achievements mang, AssCreed 1 did not have map markers iirc. I don't think AC2 had markers for everything too unless you saw it with the eagle vision. At least in AC2 it unlocked an outfit or something. In Assassin's Creed 1 it was just an achievement. Zelda games are not completely immune to this criticism, as the large barren fields in Twilight Princess shows. Or for a better example, Wind Waker. But it's not like opening every chest in a Zelda game will reward the player with something past what is in the chest.

Riposte

2D games will definitely survive. They're already a mainstay in the indie circuit and if you count 2.5D games they're definitely not going anywhere.

There are certain game mechanics and systems that simply "work" better in a 2D template.

I'm afraid you may have misunderstood what I was saying if that's your answer.

EDIT: Also I'm think along the lines of twenty, thirty years from now.

Anth0ny

This is my biggest issue with your argument as a whole. Nintendo by and large has been seen as a conservative, risk averse company. By being that way it has slowly but surely dwindled its user base and popularity to laughable levels. Nearly ever generation Nintendo has played their hand "safe", with the most recent hardware being arguably the most safe in the history of their existence. The only exception to this was (whether people like to admit it or not) was the Wii and Nintendo DS. Outside of the original NES and Game Boy from the 80's, these are the only systems to revert a downward trend.

Nintendo literally has no other option than to take risks in order to survive at this point. QoL sounds already awful in concept, but what do they have to lose? 2D Mario platformers are not changing their fortunes, nor are 2.5D Mario platformers, or hell even 3D Mario platformers. They can keep pleasing the Nintendo loyal day in and day out, but the pie will only continue to shrink. If they want to maintain a global brand they are going to have to, once again, go against the grain to find fortune.

Going mobile is not being risky. Going third party to Microsoft and Sony is not being risky. And releasing another stand alone console, or dedicated handheld is also not being risky. All of these options will lead them down a shit hole where they are drowning in piss.

If Nintendo is to survive they either drastically scale back their operational output, minimizing overhead by going to unified, singular device, that relies entirely off of mid-budget 1st party output (or even micro games), or they take a shot in the dark. I believe they will do the latter.

I'd actually argue that the Wii U was one of the bigger risks Nintendo has ever took... a $350 console with power on par with last gen consoles and an expensive ass controller with a screen. $350 is $100 more than the next most expensive console Nintendo has ever launched, and it was being sold at a loss for over a year. Nintendo has NEVER done that shit. Wii was profitable from day one. I'm pretty sure N64 and Gamecube were as well, or a couple of months after launch at the latest.

Wii U was selling at a LOSS at $350, and only just this year started to be sold at a profit. That's insane. As much of a risk as the Wii was (crazy controller unlike anything we've ever seen, last gen power), if it were to fail, at least Nintendo was making a profit from day one. Not so with the Wii U, and just look how badly they're hurting.

Compare that to PS4, a "real" next gen console that was only $399 at launch. It sold at a loss at launch, but as of May 2014, was being sold at a profit. There's NO risk with the PS4. There is no CELL processor busting the balls of dev teams, or "blu ray player in 2006" equivalent driving up the price. That shit is basically a moderately powerful computer, and it's sold 10 million units in 9 months.

Nintendo needs to take less risks, if anything. Follow the leader AND put your own, unique spin on things. It's not an either/or.

It's a true shame the casual/'core' market wants AAA titles with millions upon millions of dollars spent on visual tricks and segments that are played out for you. With either convoluted narratives or flashy gameplay. Even people that bought a Wii U feel that they lack those kind of show-offy games, when the Wii U offers such quality gaming that they are just too blind to see.

I think it's ignorant to say Nintendo survives on nostalgia considering the changes they actually make in the main iterations of Zelda and Mario for example. It takes an educated gamer to see the quality gaming Nintendo offers. They need to find a way to market that properly, it's difficult...

Haha. This whole post must be a parody. Gamers are blind to quality gaming, and not educated gamers! Lol.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Miyamoto just sounds bitter. He spent almost a decade creating games that he now says he wants no part in making.

That's not even remotely what he said.

What he was saying was that with the Wii and the DS, Nintendo was trying to reach people who never played video games. Their aim was to take the hundreds of millions of people for whom video games were completely alien and make gamers out of them.

8-10 years later now, everybody's grandmother plays fucking Candy Crush. The people for whom video games were alien are now perfectly familiar and comfortable with video games in their everyday life, regardless of whether they're Nintendo games or even console games at all or not. Because of this, Nintendo no longer has to make it their core strategy to reach out to this "untapped" market. Smartphones and social networks, along with the immense popularity of the DS and the Wii (I have never seen my grandparents play a console game of any kind in my life except for Wii Sports, for example), have done that job. So now they can turn their attention back to the people who actually buy video games regularly.

The Wii U was designed to offer more "hardcore experiences" than what the Wii was known for while still carrying over much from the previous generation to try to ease new players that they initially reached with the Wii over to those more "hardcore" titles. That's basically what Nintendoland was supposed to do.

What Miyamoto is expressing frustration with is that that plan basically failed. Those people who were introduced to gaming by the Wii have not necessarily been interested in expanding into more traditional "core" genres of gaming beyond the casual experiences they had on the Wii. That doesn't mean they're going to stop making games for that market. Just that they now know they can't rely on those players to jump from the games that are tailor made for them to other more complex genres.

Um wat. Mario Brothers, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Citizen Kane, Angry Birds, Keeping up with the Kardashians are all time wasters. There's no "but playing Mario is intrinsically better than Keeping up with the Kardashians!" You would probably enjoy one over the other, hence what you waste your time on.

He wasn't insulting people, he was talking about a certain mindset. And yeah, if you're not willing to put in enough effort to play a game more sophisticated than Candy Crush or Angry Birds, or think a game is just supposed to entertain you with zero effort, that is sort of a pathetic mindset.

Games are sort of like novels in that they require a certain amount of effort from the player / reader, whereas movies and tv shows are passive entertainment experiences. If you don't put in the time and effort, you will never finish a game or a book. But if you turn on a movie or tv show and fall asleep, the show will finish without you. I'm not saying one or the other is better, but there's a big difference in how and why we consume them and they probably exercise different parts of the brain.

I have conflicted feeling about this. I guess actions speak louder than words, so I'll be happy to see him follow this up with some content, but I still don't really have faith in his decision making skills currently.

How did Miyamoto talk shit about his "potential" market? That casual market that were the pick up and play crowd don't buy software. The handheld market will be the heavy lifters in software sales.

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...lains-nintendos-renewed-passion-for-the-core/

The smartphone market is halfway there. They just need the push into using a controller.

Also, Steve Jobs insulted everything and anything about Windows and Microsoft, including with the whole Mac vs PC ad campaign, painting PC owners as idiots and the Mac guy(Justin Long) as the laid back cool guy.

Yes, 90% of the games market isn't good enough for you, but for a company that doesn't take many risks, they have a good relative market share in handheld and in console, Wii and Wii U combined.

You're a bigger idiot than I thought. Jobs never insulted Windows users; he said "You can be cool like this Mac guy or you can be boring like this PC guy; be cool like us!" He never said, "Screw you Windows users! You never want the stuff we put out."

Also Nintendo does not a "good relative market share" in console. Whatsoever. Stop your spinning; it's not working. Nintendo definitely does not have 90% of the games market; are you on crack?

I'd actually argue that the Wii U was one of the bigger risks Nintendo has ever took... a $350 console with power on par with last gen consoles and an expensive ass controller with a screen. $350 is $100 more than the next most expensive console Nintendo has ever launched, and it was being sold at a loss for over a year. Nintendo has NEVER done that shit. Wii was profitable from day one. I'm pretty sure N64 and Gamecube were as well, or a couple of months after launch at the latest.

Wii U was selling at a LOSS at $350, and only just this year started to be sold at a profit. That's insane. As much of a risk as the Wii was (crazy controller unlike anything we've ever seen, last gen power), if it were to fail, at least Nintendo was making a profit from day one. Not so with the Wii U, and just look how badly they're hurting.

Compare that to PS4, a "real" next gen console that was only $399 at launch. It sold at a loss at launch, but as of May 2014, was being sold at a profit. There's NO risk with the PS4. There is no CELL processor busting the balls of dev teams, or "blu ray player in 2006" equivalent driving up the price. That shit is basically a moderately powerful computer, and it's sold 10 million units in 9 months.

Nintendo needs to take less risks, if anything. Follow the leader AND put your own, unique spin on things. It's not an either/or.

But the product itself wasn't inherently risky. It relied on the Wii brand, was designed very similarly to the original Wii, and even used existing Wii accessories. Furthermore it's original software push was heavily influenced on Wii IP's (New Super Mario Bros., Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Wii Party, etc.)

The decision to artificially increase the price of the system through an expensive control isn't risky by any means, it's simply reading the market incorrectly. They thought tablets was what the mass market wanted, so shipping the system with a half assed tablet was a safe bet to cover the way the market was moving, but still be compatible with what made the original Wii a success (the Wiimore, balance boards, Wii Wheel).

If anything the $350 was Nintendo's arrogance assuming that it would be a run away success the original, where they missed out on a shit ton of free money because they priced the original console too low considering the initial demand.

Wii U and 3DS were some of the most boring and risk adverse releases that Nintendo has ever manufactured.

spekkeh

Banned
You're a bigger idiot than I thought. Jobs never insulted Windows users; he said "You can be cool like this Mac guy or you can be boring like this PC guy; be cool like us!" He never said, "Screw you Windows users! You never want the stuff we put out."
So about that 1984 ad.

Also Nintendo does not a "good relative market share" in console. Whatsoever. Stop your spinning; it's not working. Nintendo definitely does not have 90% of the games market; are you on crack?

Miyamoto isn't saying people are pathetic, he's criticizing shallow game experiences like Flappy Bird. Games are different than most forms of entertainment in that some games have a much higher barrier to entry than say, a movie or a themepark ride. If you aren't willing to put in more effort than simply tapping the screen, you'll never know what makes the medium special. Again, games are a lot like books in the amount of effort they require. Most people stop reading children's books as they get older and graduate to more complex novels. If you don't do that, you'll never appreciate the written word in the same way that bookworms do. Same principle applies to games.

Rocky

Banned

Good relative market share? Do you realize that in 3 gens, Sony has managed to sell 100 million more consoles than Nintendo has in 5 gens? And this generation looks to only widen that margin.

Good relative market share? Do you realize that in 3 gens, Sony has managed to sell 100 million more consoles than Nintendo has in 5 gens? And this generation looks to only widen that margin.

No man, give it up. Nintendo has 90% of the video game market locked down.

Maybe Sony was capable of selling more consoles than Nintendo but Nintendo will stay market leader in our hearts!

xaszatm

Banned
So, does anyone else think we're missing at least a sentence, if not a paragraph, of context behind this quote? Like, "pathetic" seems kind of strong from Nintendo and Miyamoto, especially now as they are trying their hardest to avoid negative controversy.

SaintAvi

Neo Member
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210604

Remember this?

One slide of Dawn Paine's [UK Head of Marketing] presentation outlined the ways in which gaming has traditionally been perceivedas 'an addiction that removes the player from reality'. A picture of a long haired nerd, screaming as he gripped a control pad, appeared on the projection screen, the surrounding space soon ppulated by the phrases 'glazed over', 'isolated' and other negative terminology.

Rather than debunk such perceptions, Nintendo simply suggested it was courting a different audience, and the company would soon come to stand for 'self development, health, beauty and fitness'.

This paradigm shift, to use Paine's terms, would come as the result of Nintendo's Touch! Generation software, which unlike traditional gamng, doesn't "replace your life - it connects with it". Paine's assertion that Nintendo wasn't abandoning the traditional gamer was supported by jus three examples: Metroid Prime 3, Phantom Hourglass and Mario Galaxy.

Clearly there's nothing wrong with engaging a new audience - indeed, it's massively profitable - but at the same time such efforts seem to dismiss the worth of the medium prior to this influx of accessible, functional but artistically shallow titles.

JP sales:

Wii Sports : 3,724,264
Wii Sports U : 2,566

99.93% drop

Wii Fit : 2,409,957
Wii Fit U : 176,924

92.7% drop

Well he might be with those massive declines. I think the more important thing is he has realised casuals could not care less about the WiiU.

xaszatm

Banned
JP sales:

Wii Sports : 3,724,264
Wii Sports U : 2,566

99.93% drop

Wii Fit : 2,409,957
Wii Fit U : 176,924

92.7% drop

Well he might be with those massive declines. I think the more important thing is he has realised casuals could not care less about the WiiU.

Isn't his current projects (Project Guard, Project Giant Robot, and Star Fox) mean for the casual audience though? Like the family friendly crowd?

I don't know. Nothing about this interview makes sense. I feel like there's context missing here. I get the attitude (people who play very easy games for reward for little work is kind of sad) but the wording seems..."off".

Nibel

And I just noticed who posted this. I thought you were cool, Nibel. You were always the coolest guy in the Nintendo E3 hype threads, now you're heaping dirt on the people who saved Nintendo in the mid-to-late 2000's and using dumb slang like "shade". :p

Why do I get attacked for this? On Twitter some die-hard fans attacked me already as well, direct or indirect :lol

I am not responsible for the hyperbole dramatization that many posters present in this thread for a quote that Shiggy himself probably already forgot. I enjoy reading it though

Kiote

You do realize that all 97 of those 100 million sales occurred in a single generation 20 years ago?

All you have said is that PS2 was the best selling home console of all time.

Kiote

So, does anyone else think we're missing at least a sentence, if not a paragraph, of context behind this quote? Like, "pathetic" seems kind of strong from Nintendo and Miyamoto, especially now as they are trying their hardest to avoid negative controversy.

I believe the translation is wrong and that's not actually what he said, but we'll know for sure soon enough.

Top Bottom