• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: VR is one person putting on some goggles, playing by themselves in a corner

Crazy but that's one of the big reasons I didn't buy a Wii U, I couldn't stand Wii's online system and friend numbers.

VR doesn't just dive full head on into multiplayer experiences. That comes later, build from the ground up.

No one is so serious as to never take off their Oculus head mount. With the Oculus head mount you still have enough brain power and ears to focus on a conversation and play the game.

unless you've got headphones on which is apparently a popular setup for oculus rift development kits, and also the most sensible for interactive entertainment considering that when you turn your head or perspective in a standard video game your actual head remains in the same position relative to your speakers. i think. honestly I'm thinking about it right now and it's got me hella confused

tengiants

VR for gaming doesn't sound too appealing to me.

VR for productivity on the other hand sounds amazing.

I imagine walking into my cube at work, putting on a helmet, and getting access to an infinite number of displays and desktop real estate. Amazing.

Phades

For now, yes. But there's some very cool stuff right around the corner.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/virtual-reality-contact-l/

That sounds more like applied augmented reality than virtual reality.

unless you've got headphones on which is apparently a popular setup for oculus rift development kits, and also the most sensible for interactive entertainment considering that when you turn your head or perspective in a standard video game your actual head remains in the same position relative to your speakers. i think. honestly I'm thinking about it right now and it's got me hella confused

What you are thinking of is positional based sound systems, which can come in headset form. It is a "natural extention" to positional based point of view that a head mounted display offers.

Zee-Row

Banned
I don't think VR works with Nintendo games anyway because their franchises are so character driven. Playing a VR game your essentially playing as yourself right? People that play a Mario or a Zelda game wanna be Mario and Link.

Alright alright i'll let you have this one. at the same time doesn't neccessarily sell me on the device. Nor do I see it as a "gamechanger" in terms of gameplay. Its a neat interactive/immersion tool but outside of that I just don't see it being used as something that'll shake up gameplay.

fair enough. and tbh I'm not that far off from that opinion. I think that there will be some hella interesting interactive experiences enabled by these devices, but gaming alone is just one drop in that big bucket and not all genres or gameplay ideas will benefit equally from VR support.

Sadly that's not true...I hate those guys, thinking they're so focused. Then they loose pretty bad and rage against the chatty player.
They fall under the categories of people who make games not fun, like guys who throw controllers or smash fight sticks. That's not the technology's fault in this case.

tengiants

I don't think VR works with Nintendo games anyway because their franchises are so character driven. Playing a VR game your essentially playing as yourself right? People that play a Mario or a Zelda game wanna be Mario and Link.

Not true at all. Mario and Link are cool to play as because they are silent and have no personality. Like a nameless avatar.

Have you ever try bringing your handheld to school, passing the handheld around while having fun talking and playing a single-player game together?

I did... well years ago, not sure about current generation though.
I remember linking up with my friends and playing the original Four Swords game. Portables are only isolationist if you are already an isolated person.

bart64

Banned
Let's just give Nintendo props for taking one for the team here. They are always working to give gaming a better image in the eyes of society; against violence, anti-social behavior, barriers for entry including complicated controls and price. They have a long term, inclusive view of success and it should be respected, especially since it often hurts them in the short term and because it results in a healthier industry.

You make unfounded assumptions that VR will be economic and affordable while calling out someone else making unfounded assumptions that VR will be very expensive.
Where did I say I knew it would be affordable? Pot, kettle, black etc.
Look, the way debates work is that when you present an argument you should be able to back it up with a reasonable way of coming to that conclusion. If you don't you should get called out for it. Rather simple.

Sadly that's not true...I hate those guys, thinking they're so focused. Then they loose pretty bad and rage against the chatty player.
nothing has ever upped my win rate in a fighting game nearly as much as the realization that mind games can turn tables with insane regularity. I talk non stop when playing a competitive game locally lmao

Zee-Row

Banned
Not true at all. Mario and Link are cool to play as because they are silent and have no personality. Like a nameless avatar.

Mario does talk a lot though , not in cutscenes but his actions or if he wins or loses a level. I don't feel like i'm Mario I just feel like i'm a guest in his world. Same with Link , i'm just the visitor in his story , he doesn't really have to talk to express himself.

No one is so serious as to never avert their eyes from the gamepad. With the gamepad you have peripheral vision to focus on a conversation and play the game.
Not to mention that you can actually look at people and talk to them as you're playing - a bit hard to do so with goggles strapped to the face.

I can understand where he's coming from - VR at its core seems to be a thing where, in order to draw you into a world more fully, the device you're using must naturally pull you out of the world you're in. It's appealing to those who want to escape, but it's not as easy for others to enjoy, which Ninty is all about (meatspace social interactions and whatnot). Piped video output is not the same as trying the things on.

That said, I want a VR headset to mess around with eventually. Yum.

King_Moc

Banned

You're supposed to project yourelself onto link. That's why he's called that. He's the link between the player and the game. It's also why he never talks. He's Nintendo's Gordon Freeman.

There's no need to be disrespectful.

He's just blatantly dismissed and borderline insulted the largest most complex gaming evolution for the past decade, online gaming. He was disrespectful to the thriving industry and to most modern gamers.

There are literally millions of people online all the time playing a massive range of games. League of Legends, DOTA2, COD, WoW. Are they playing because those games leave them alone in a room? No they're playing because it's fun, it's engaging and you meet millions of people from around the world.

But to him it seems they are just loners in a room by themselves.

Have you ever try bringing your handheld to school, passing the handheld around while having fun talking and playing a single-player game together?

I did... well years ago, not sure about current generation though.

Absolutely. And that proves the point: devices that can be used to isolate can also be used to be social. People need to direct their attention to the behavior, not the hardware.

LastNac

As noted above, it's anything but "just a screen". It feels like you're actually there watching the character move.

I respect you, man - I found that I very heavily agreed with a lot of what you said in that "cinematic games curse" thread a few weeks back. Immersion is an important part of what makes games like Naughty Dog's work - it's why I love TLoU and the Souls games so much, for example. VR only adds to this. Not just with first person, but by granting the player a true window into that world.

I truly believe you'll like it if you try it with an open mind. I came in with mixed expectations and was a believer by the time I finished playing a single demo. DK1 on an underspec'd laptop. Low res and framerate coupled with bad graphics. I absolutely loved every second of it.

Well, I appreciate what you said, but I wasn't "Sold" by what I played at E3.

I told both the guys at Sony and Palmer Luckey to make me a believer, and honestly, I'm just not. Maybe the future can do something for it and my perspective on it, but as it stands now I'm just not impressed from the demos I've played.

Furthermore, I honestly don't think/see how I would want to play a "cinematic" title like a TLoU or an Uncharted with VR. The whole notion behind the technology is that it is Virtual Reality, essentially something that seeks to involve me more into the experience. That approachability works with something like an Elder Scrolls or a Fallout, FP perspectives that makes me the character and put me in the world.

But a studio like ND tells a story first and foremost. It isn't my story, nor do they really build a world beyond the perimeters of what services said story. I like the disconnect, I don't need to be physically(through forced perception) immersed into the world because consciously, throughout the whole thing, I know I'm not involved. And I'm OK with that.

I appraoch experiences like that how I do films. I like sitting on my couch or in a theater chair absorbing the narrative. I'm an audience member who is outside watching in. I certainly wouldn't want to plug a movie into my mind via a flash drive to pursue a more "immersive experience."

I'd love to see VR really nail a Rogue Squadron-like experience or an Outlast type game. I'm not dealing with defined characters in that situation but the second I see Joel or Drake I am reminded that that is not me. I pick up the controller and play TLoU or Uncharted but I still feel more like an observer than I do a participant and that certainly isn't a negative. I don't see how VR would/could
improve the giraffe scene or carrying Ellie or Drake in the desert
over watching it on a 55 inch TV. I really don't think it can.

I can't wait to play games where I am the character but keep it away from titles where I am not.

I think VR would be awesome with motion controls. Something as simple as Wii Sports would be amazing with VR. But he is right though. I just don't see how it makes sense for local multiplayer games but online will be great whenever the price and technology get there. I'm really excited for it though!

Jaxyfoo

Banned
Totally missread the title as playing with themselves in the corner.... Figured he had seen Mass effect 4 running with Morpheus, ooer.

He's just blatantly dismissed and borderline insulted the largest most complex gaming evolution for the past decade, online gaming. He was disrespectful to the thriving industry and to most modern gamers.

There are literally millions of people online all the time playing a massive range of games. League of Legends, DOTA2, COD, WoW. Are they playing because those games leave them alone in a room? No they're playing because it's fun, it's engaging and you meet millions of people from around the world.

You are reading way too deeply into this.

fair enough. and tbh I'm not that far off from that opinion. I think that there will be some hella interesting interactive experiences enabled by these devices, but gaming alone is just one drop in that big bucket and not all genres or gameplay ideas will benefit equally from VR support.

I'm mostly arguing that in some cases the occulas doesn't work from a gameplay perspective. You can throw any game into this thing but certain games that require a lot of quick movement and sudden camera angle changes just wouldn't work. I get the appeal of the thing though but I mean outside of certain types of game I'd rather just put those 300ish dollars towards a 70 inch tv or somthing.

tengiants

Mario does talk a lot though , not in cutscenes but his actions or if he wins or loses a level. I don't feel like i'm Mario I just feel like i'm a guest in his world. Same with Link , i'm just the visitor in his story , he doesn't really have to talk to express himself.

That's interesting actually. We have different perspectives of ourselves when we play Mario and Link, and we get something different out of it.

Spineker

Banned

I agree with you but calling Shigeru Miyamoto a dinosaur is a bit harsh. He is antiquated on some of his views yes, but not all.
Yeah, but you made a list of situations that didn't work out for Nintendo, and the GBA doesn't really fall under that category.

That situation didn't work out well for them. It was a terrible oversight.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Explain this, Miyamoto!!11

cElyXtE.jpg

Nintendo really loves that cave they're living in.

You mean opposed to most of the rest of the AAA industry that lives in a cave of grey and brown first/third person shooters that are either set in the near future with guns or second or third reinventions of an original idea they had a couple of decades ago?

Yes, Wii U is the best console if you want to play locally with friends (if you don't need Fifa and Madden).

And Yes, virtual reality glasses totally shield you off from other people and the real world. If you look at a gamer using oculus it looks crazy and absurd. I can fully understand that Miyamoto feels looking at those people. Even I get some chills seeing this.

But I think the next Zelda, Bayonetta 2 and Xenoblade will shield me of from the world even without a VR headset like Super Mario 3D World, Bayonetta 1 (even the crappy PS3 version) or Pikmin 3 already did for hours :)

Either way: VR technology is years away before console games can really benefit from it. PS4, Xbone and of course Wii U have way to less power to create immersive 3D Worlds. Most games on PS4/Xbone even fail to create 2D experience in acceptable frame rates. And even with high end PCs the Oculus technology fits only some genres and feels always "not right" when you are using it.

Perhaps there will be a better way in future besides clunky VR headset to experience true virtual reality. There has been already interesting ideas from various companies.

Nocturno999

He is not exactly wrong but he really sounds like a PR dissing Occulus and Sony's research
since nothing is coming from Nintendo any time soon regarding VR..

Sandfox

I agree with you but calling Shigeru Miyamoto a dinosaur is a bit harsh. He is antiquated on some of his views yes, but not all.

That situation didn't work out well for them. It was a terrible oversight.

How did the situation not work out for them? the lack of a back-lit screen was an oversight, but it didn't seem to hurt them in any way.

LastNac

LP4KzEF.gif

watershed

Banned
It does annoy me, because in my opinion the Oculus Rift is the best and most exciting thing to happen to the games industry in a long time. Much more exciting than anything Nintendo has done in a VERY long time.

And I figured a man like Miyamoto would have the imagination and scope to look beyond the common preconceived notions about VR like it only being something that one person can enjoy, when I've seen the direct opposite at every place I've taken my developer kit. If anything people gravitate around it. There are extensive reasons that I believe his claims are unfounded that I really just don't want to waste the time typing out.

Bottom line, he has a poor opinion on the matter.
I think the bottom line is you had an overly emotional reaction to a reasonable quote but don't want to explain why.

riotous

Banned
You mean opposed to most of the rest of the AAA industry that lives in a cave of grey and brown first/third person shooters that are either set in the near future with guns or second or third reinventions of an original idea they had a couple of decades ago?

Well, playing Mario Kart 8 right now on my Wii-U.

Nintendo if anything is the king of rehashing; their major launch exclusive was a 2D Mario game.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Uh huh

Spineker

Banned
How did the situation not work out for them? the lack of a back-lit screen was an oversight, but it didn't seem to hurt them in any way.

It did from a public perception point of view. The GBA still sold well because it had great games on it but the need to buy a separate ugly backlight peripheral in order to actually use the thing pissed off a lot of people.

Not really buying into VR tbh. At least I still want to know what is actually happening around me while I'm gaming for now.

I will wait for hologram gaming. Hope I live long enough to see one someday :p

Top Bottom