• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto: VR is one person putting on some goggles, playing by themselves in a corner

While interesting, I don't think that really changes the spirit of what he was saying.

Except it does, because it's less of a "I think VR is stupid" thing that people are making it out to be and more of a "I'm interested, and I think it has potential, but it isn't ready just yet, and it isn't in line with our current strategy"

Tom_Cody

NO, Someone photoshop that pic into THIS, would be incredible

EqGNK.jpg
I came to post this.

Here's the original thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77540

Does anyone have pictures of him on the virtual boy?

JoeInky

Some people are missing his point, he wants to make games where people can play together in the same house. He's obviously not saying gaming shouldn't be played alone, in a corner, like 100% of people do one time or another, he's just saying that's not what he wants for their games. Is bashing Miyamoto suddenly cool for every reason imaginable? lol

It's not suddenly cool, it's been cool for a while now (See: toxic gameplay first mentality).

Except it does, because it's less of a "I think VR is stupid" thing that people are making it out to be and more of a "I'm interested, and I think it has potential, but it isn't ready just yet, and it isn't in line with our current strategy"

Pretty much, but hey, gotta go for those zingers, quick.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Obviously, but it's pretty funny to have been apart of Virtual Boy and to make the Wii U pad a solitary unit and then go on to talk about Oculus and Morpheus. Feel free to get upset about it though.

But the pad wasn't a solitary experience, it never was. The system launched with a multiplayer-centric title which was designed to showcase how it fits in a series of multiplayer titles. Bringing it up just sounds like a knee-jerk reaction because he doesn't like the current technological hotness that a lot of gamers do. Maybe discuss what it is about his statement is wrong rather than "lol Wii U"?

Alx

I completely understand his point of view. VR is a very rich experience, but it's meant to be a solitary one (or if it involves other players, you won't have real contact with them anyway).
It's at the opposite end of the spectrum of what Nintendo has been trying to do until now : games you can enjoy with multiple people being in the same living room. There will be a market for VR, but Nintendo isn't on it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Absolutely myopic view.
But he's absolutely right about the isolative nature of it. I see VR becoming a novelty that doesn't become the way people play normally, so his vision of everyone just sealing themselves off probably won't happen.

At the same time he did say 'When you think about what virtual reality is, which is one person putting on some goggles and playing by themselves kind of over in a corner'. All the context surrounding it doesn't change that.

He's allowed to have his own opinion, he doesn't need anyone to defend him.

Bulzeeb

well I kinda agree with him but whatever, my real trouble with VR is that I don't like first person games that much and that is probably the main reason why I am not as exited as most of you by the tech =/

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have to be honest, VR is a weird experience. When you're in it, you're really in it. When you watch someone do it, you have this, like, intense anxiety/excitement about that they're doing it and you want to try it too. But it's also conceivable to build a VR experience with multiple players; imagine two helmets in the same room, using external cameras to build an AR interactive experience where you can see the other player in the same room with you? Or bring that player into your virtual world. I think it could be cool. This is early days yet.

Tested were doing something like that with control VR. Their booth had two control VR setups and two rifts, putting both of you in the same environment, where you could make hand gestures and signs to the other person. Looked good

Mononoke

Banned
I completely understand his point of view. VR is a very rich experience, but it's meant to be a solitary one (or if it involves other players, you won't have real contact with them anyway).
It's at the opposite end of the spectrum of what Nintendo has been trying to do until now : games you can enjoy with multiple people being in the same living room. There will be a market for VR, but Nintendo isn't on it.

Why does it have to be solitary? Imagine in the future you have your own avatar, and you are literally walking around with your friends playing games (instead of playing characters, it feels like you are actually with them in real life tackling games).

I just don't agree that we should write off VR as this solitary experience. I actually see it as a possible solution to a problem with playing with others (ie. not everyone living near each other, or being able to play in person). If anything, I could see VR bringing people close together when playing games.

LQX

Kind of ridiculous for someone from Nintendo to be saying something like this when most of their games half ass online multiple-player so many Nintendo gamers are use to playing games by themselves.

QaaQer

Yeah, I said time and time again that VR and Nintendo don't work together. Nintendo's philsophy is all about connecting people inside of a room, and VR is all about isolating someone from his immediate surroundings. The kind of games and experiences Nintendo (mainly) delivers just don't work in the VR environment. And that's okay, not everyone has to follow the VR route. People who think that VR is the one and only future are kidding themselves - there will always be a reluctance towards isolating yourself from the other people next to you.

especially families. playing with kids is kinda the ultimate in videogame fun.

I agree but I understand that some people don't agree. Yeah a lot of people must hate me or think I'm stupid, not interesting or whatever. I just enjoy games I play, that's what matters to me. And I don't think I could play VR games for a long time... it seems fun to try but in a Sega Center (nostalgia), not in my living room o_O
So you can disagree but please, respect other's opinions.
I'm saying this after reading a few posts only in the thread

PS : I know it's bad but I also don't like online multiplayer when I play with people I don't know. I also don't like F2P, I don't like DLC, I don't like mobile gaming, I don't like a lot of praised genres like MMO, T-RPG and most of AAA games (but obviously not for the same reasons).

Damian.

Banned
So? You can have online and eventually you can have multiple people with VR headsets playing each other in the virtual world. Also there is nothing wrong with chilling virtually alone sometimes in a game world, he doesn't think full immersion should ever be available?

At the same time he did say 'When you think about what virtual reality is, which is one person putting on some goggles and playing by themselves kind of over in a corner'. All the context surrounding it doesn't change that.

He's allowed to have his own opinion, he doesn't need anyone to defend him.
He did. But understanding the context in which he said it allows us a better frame of reference in understanding what he actually meant and thinks about VR rather than jumping to conclusions. Context is always important because it adds more meaning to a phrase then the phrase has inherently alone. It's like how people always site schrodinger's cat out of context without realizing that Schrodinger was using it as an analogy for how absurd he thought those concepts of quantum mechanics were

nbthedude

Nintendo's top game designer Shigeru Miyamoto finally tried the Oculus Rift at the E3 gaming convention, and it sounds like he wasn't in love with it.

"When you think about what virtual reality is, which is one person putting on some goggles and playing by themselves kind of over in a corner, or maybe they go into a separate room and they spend all their time alone playing in that virtual reality, that’s in direct contrast with what it is we’re trying to achieve with Wii U," Miyamoto told Time. "And so I have a little bit of uneasiness with whether or not that’s the best way for people to play."

Ok, grandpa. We get it. The music is too loud and you don't understand young people today.

It's especially parental and overbearing that he wants to tell us "the best way people should play" videogames.

Anteo

Why does it have to be solitary? Imagine in the future you have your own avatar, and you are literally walking around with your friends playing games (instead of playing characters, it feels like you are actually with them in real life tackling games).

I just don't agree that we should write off VR as this solitary experience. I actually see it as a possible solution to a problem with playing with others (ie. not everyone living near each other, or being able to play in person). If anything, I could see VR bringing people close together when playing games.

Because they are thinking about local play mostly:

"We want the Wii U to be a game system that brings video gamers into the living room. As as I explained last night [Sunday, June 8], it’s intended to be fun not only for the person who’s playing, but also for the people who are watching.

When you think about what virtual reality is, which is one person putting on some goggles and playing by themselves kind of over in a corner, or maybe they go into a separate room and they spend all their time alone playing in that virtual reality, that’s in direct contrast with what it is we’re trying to achieve with Wii U..."

-MD-

Well he's not wrong.

This thread has some good laughs in it though, the defense force gathered rather quickly.

epmode

I just don't agree that we should write off VR as this solitary experience.

Oculus' Michael Abrash had a few talks on exactly this. He says that networked VR is kind of amazing. You can apparently tell when a human takes control of an avatar just by watching the head movement (which is accurately tracked).

That's just really basic head tracking. Eye tracking is going to be a big deal.

I have to be honest, VR is a weird experience. When you're in it, you're really in it. When you watch someone do it, you have this, like, intense anxiety/excitement about that they're doing it and you want to try it too. But it's also conceivable to build a VR experience with multiple players; imagine two helmets in the same room, using external cameras to build an AR interactive experience where you can see the other player in the same room with you? Or bring that player into your virtual world. I think it could be cool. This is early days yet.

Couch Knight for Rift played with that concept back at GDC

JoeInky

No it isn't

jeez some people are really invested in this vr stuff in here

Sony fan forum + Sony making a VR headset + Nintendo dev saying he doesn't care about VR = shit storm.

This thread is going to go on for 20 more pages at the very least.

Mononoke

Banned
EDIT: re-read the entire piece. He's not writing it off, he's just talking about VR where it's currently at, and how it doesn't fit with what they want to do with Wii U. Fair enough. But I still see VR as a solution to bringing gamers closer together (since not everyone can play in the same room physically).

No it isn't

jeez some people are really invested in this vr stuff in here

It kind of is though. He's writing off something new, without thinking about the possibilities of where it can eventually go. It's pretty much how Nintendo has treated online play. If you seriously think that the only way to connect with others is by playing in person, then that is definitely some old man yelling at the clouds mentality.

It's a nice way to make games, and to play games. And Nintendo should keep doing that, certainly. But it's been to their detriment to write off people doing the same thing (connecting with others) digitally.

Because they are thinking about local play mostly:

"We want the Wii U to be a game system that brings video gamers into the living room. As as I explained last night [Sunday, June 8], it’s intended to be fun not only for the person who’s playing, but also for the people who are watching.

When you think about what virtual reality is, which is one person putting on some goggles and playing by themselves kind of over in a corner, or maybe they go into a separate room and they spend all their time alone playing in that virtual reality, that’s in direct contrast with what it is we’re trying to achieve with Wii U..."

But it's not, because you are actually playing with other people in a digital world. Yes, physically you are by yourself in a corner. But what you experience IS not that. I'm not against Nintendo making games where you experience them with others in the same room. That's great. There is something special about that. But the reality is, NOT EVERYONE can be close to each other physically. The internet and the digital age has been a solution to this problem.

I really don't agree that playing with people through the internet is any less connected. It solves the problem of distance and time. So while technically you are in your room by yourself, what you see and experience is NOT just sitting in the corner by yourself, you are in a world connected with other players and experiencing joy with them.

Penguin

I don't disagree with him

It's always been one of my major turn-offs with the idea of VR games.

Even aside from local co-op/competitive modes, I've always enjoyed watching people play games and offer feedback.

VR seems set to give one person a complete experience while the rest... I guess fills in the blank? It's just so weird to be in a "different place" than the rest of the people in the room.

He's not wrong and I don't think he's necessarily bashing the tech, it's just the opposite of what brought Nintendo their greatest success (people and casuals playing Wii together). It would not be surprising if it's not their thing.

What he's describing is exactly why people ARE excited for VR though. The isolation and being in your own immersive world. There's plenty of room for both experiences.

Wynnebeck

Banned
But the pad wasn't a solitary experience, it never was. The system launched with a multiplayer-centric title which was designed to showcase how it fits in a series of multiplayer titles. Bringing it up just sounds like a knee-jerk reaction because he doesn't like the current technological hotness that a lot of gamers do. Maybe discuss what it is about his statement is wrong rather than "lol Wii U"?

You're missing the point. While he is correct in that VR is not made for communal type gaming, it still makes the fact that in order to fully experience the Wii U, you have to use the Wii U pad, which in itself is a single pad that can only be used by one person while everyone else playing must use either Wiimotes or Pro controllers all the more amusing. In any case, the man is entitled to his opinion. He doesn't need you to defend him. He's Miyamoto.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
He is not incorrect. The experience is incredibly exclusionist to anyone around you. If you have a friend over that you want to play with, or you're a parent with kids and want to play something with them, you just can't use VR goggles without being like a biggest weirdo in the world. I'd imagine that kind of audience is who Nintendo targets the most so it makes sense to make that comment.

dubq

Absolutely myopic view.

Very true.. and him saying, "I have a little bit of uneasiness with whether or not that’s the best way for people to play," is just complete bollocks to me. I respect Miyamoto but who is he to decide the best way for everyone to play games? Everyone has a preference. People also like variety. #smh

VR seems set to give one person a complete experience while the rest... I guess fills in the blank? It's just so weird to be in a "different place" than the rest of the people in the room.

Why does there have to be a "rest"? Where is this idea coming from that we have to play video games with 3 other people in the room?

I understand where he's coming from, but I don't share his sentiment. Fact of the matter is, I don't have friends or family who want to play video games with me (unless it's Diablo III, which is online), so by default my experience is going to be playing alone. So for now, VR doesn't increase the amount of time I spend gaming alone, and unless it's super compelling it won't really decrease the amount of time I spend with friends and family either because we're never playing video games together.

MDSLKTR

So much for the nintendo on mock ups, right guys?

Well he's not wrong.

This thread has some good laughs in it though, the defense force gathered rather quickly.

The next revolution in gaming needs to be defended, yup.

As someone who spends most of his gaming time with my wife in the same room (she will be watching tv or reading while I'm playing a game) I understand this concern. We will often talk about what the other is doing, or just about our day, and VR would definitely interfere with that. So while that isn't to say I'm totally writing off VR, being completely closed off from those around me is absolutely one thing that reduces my interest in it.

Top Bottom