• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyazaki talks future of Dark Souls series, Armored Core and a new IP

Guru-Guru

Banned
Really interested to see what is next. Wonder if they are still going to stick to having 1 release per year, as they have been recently.

Sort of related, but I was on the Japanese version of Glassdoor, and I got curious and started looking up some Japanese game companies. From Software had pretty bad evaluations. Average monthly overtime was 120+ hours (2-3x much other video game companies), and employees were only able to take 19% of their paid holiday time per year (most other companies were in the 40-60% range). The consensus was that your life is your work and you have basically zero free time. Sounds rough, but I guess that is true of a lot of game companies, not just in Japan.

Ah so the 'new ip' nitpicking talk is going strong I see. Let's be clear, If they are making another game with the souls formula then they are most certainly not going in a 'new direction' dark souls was not a 'new ip' in almost every sense. It was a way of getting around liscensing issues. Bloodborne was the same, with the added benefit of some creative freedom and desire to freshen up the formula. These games are all the same genre of game with different names and characters. It just so happens that some share lore and aesthetics and some don't. A space game with the mechanics and engine of dark souls 3 will still be a souls game. Miyazaki said he wants to go in a new direction and I sincerely hope that wasn't lip service. I mean, I want hr Geiger souls or feudal Japan souls as much as the next gaffer, but I also really hope that isn't what they are planning. Let's have something all new.

Ah so the 'new ip' nitpicking talk is going strong I see. Let's be clear, If they are making another game with the souls formula then they are most certainly not going in a 'new direction' dark souls was not a 'new ip' in almost every sense. It was a way of getting around liscensing issues. Bloodborne was the same, with the added benefit of some creative freedom and desire to freshen up the formula. These games are all the same genre of game with different names and characters. It just so happens that some share lore and aesthetics and some don't. A space game with the mechanics and engine of dark souls 3 will still be a souls game. Miyazaki said he wants to go in a new direction and I sincerely hope that wasn't lip service. I mean, I want hr Geiger souls or feudal Japan souls as much as the next gaffer, but I also really hope that isn't what they are planning. Let's have something all new.

Bloodborne wasn't created to get around licensing issues. That actually makes zero sense, as Sony owns the Demon's Souls IP and FROM owns Dark Souls. So, yeah, that had nothing to do with its creation whatsoever.

Xater

I am very happy to hear they are done with Souls. As much as I like these games just making more would become stale. The first signs of that are already in Dark Souls 3. My next fix will be Nioh which does do a lot differently and I look forward to whatever From does next.

Bloodborne wasn't created to get around licensing issues. That actually makes zero sense, as Sony owns the Demon's Souls IP and FROM owns Dark Souls. So, yeah, that had nothing to do with its creation whatsoever.
Bamco owns souls, not from software. Anyway What I meant was, Sony wanted their exclusive souls game but Miyazaki wasn't super interested in making another dark souls or demon souls 2. If he was, he would have created demon souls 2 for ps4 because there's no way bamco was going to make dark souls a PlayStation exclusive. It's still a matter of liscensing no matter how you slice it.
Making a 'souls' game without the name 'souls' in it was a huge creative risk. Luckily Sony was willing to take the risk with a new 'ip' and it paid off

ZangBa

Let B team handle it, I'll buy it. I'll never get enough Dark Souls like I'll never get enough Dynasty Warriors, despite how many there are.

"We want to try new things" regarding a Demon's Souls remaster yet his company releases the shit-stain that is Scholar of the First Sin, just to capitalize on the new consoles. Utter bullshit.

Let B team handle it, I'll buy it. I'll never get enough Dark Souls like I'll never get enough Dynasty Warriors, despite how many there are.
While I don't buy into the whole idea of ' b team' and I love dark souls 2 and I ALSO don't buy into the idea that Miyazaki is just some figurehead that isn't essential to the creation of the games(he's a visionary, his input and creativity are crucial) id still buy a souls game without his involvement, knowing full well it would be inferior, as long as some of the other creative minds involved with the series were helping to make it

ZangBa

While I don't buy into the whole idea of ' b team' and I love dark souls 2 and I ALSO don't buy into the idea that Miyazaki is just some figurehead that isn't essential to the creation of the games(he's a visionary, his input and creativity are crucial) id still buy a souls game without his involvement, knowing full well it would be inferior, as long as some of the other creative minds involved with the series were helping to make it

He's not essential to me, so I rather he work on a new IP. DS2 is one of my favorites, so I'm all for this.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
New IP makes me happy. No Bloodborne 2 makes me sad.

I'll take a B-Team Bloodborne on the Neo at 60fps. I just need more Bloodborne any way I can get it damn it.

MrS

Banned
Probably an unpopular opinion but after playing DSIII, I want another one of those instead of Bloodborne 2. Really hope this isn't the end for Dark Souls.

KDR_11k

VR plus Armored Core probably won't work, you'd throw up from all the movement. Isn't Steel Battalion the series that loves new technology? A roomscale VR Steel Battalion seems like something they'd do.

Card Boy

Banned
We dont need From Software to have a Demon's Souls remastered.

This guys can do the job.
BluePointGames.png

When From or Bluepoint are not available we can rely on these guys.

496526-high_voltage_logo.png

Mexen

Imagine if Konami got them to make a new Castlevania.

Pachinkovania Souls. NOOOOOOO.

Fake edit: you are on to something there, mate. Pity, there's more chance of Nintendo having only one playable game at E3 than a FROMVania game being made.

Real edit: holy shit!

Thats all cool but Dark Souls fans get to have three games and Bloodborne fans get only one? Not fair. I need atleast another one at some point. I dont mind if they come back to BB after their new IP.
It's not about fairness nor does everything need a sequel, you're not entitled to anything and Dark Souls wasn't supposed to have any sequels originally
Yeah, I agree.

So when he says Souls is over, he's probably not even thinking about Bloodborne.

Sorry to the five of you on GAF who hate that game.
The issue with this logic is that would mean that he doesn't group Demons and Dark Souls together which he obviously does despite being different series and as posted earlier the interviewer grouped Bloodborne along with the other souls games and he had no issue with it nor did he make an effort to correct him. How is Bloodborne any more special than Demon Souls in terms of being different enough to not group it with the Souls Games.
Hint:It's not.
But please do enjoy your mental gymnastics

We don't need everything driven into the dirt.
Not everything needs sequel after sequel.

I'm the biggest souls fan, and I'm glad for something new. What makes you think you aren't going to like whatever new thing he's working on?

sol740

Miyazaki took FromSoft where it is by taking risks, and focusing on a creative vision. Even when Sony pushed back about the difficulty, or obtuse mechanics/story he worked to put out the game he wanted, and it was fucking game-changing (pun alert).

Now he's sitting in a place where he has complete creative control, and I would like to see the same risks taken. New ideas, new IPs, new mechanics, work unstifled and let the new hype train crush me under it's glorious weight.

takriel

Omg stop

B team is amazing and now has some amazing experience under its belt and a new engine
We all thought that back in 2015 when SotFS launched lol. Didn't really improve the criticisms directed at the vanilla game. They can learn all they want. If Miyazaki is not directly involved in the project, a Souls game will suuuuck.

jimmypython

just read the original Chinese interview.

He just said there won't be any sequels and spinoffs of Dark Souls.

So I am pretty sure Soulsborne as a genre is not ending.

jimboton

Not much here that's new is there? We already knew no more Souls in the immediate future and that he was interested in doing something new. I still think 'something new' will take ARPG form and will be recognisably FROM's. It will be an evolution of the Souls concept in the same way Souls was an evolution of the King's Field series. But in which direction? that's what I'd love to know!

mattp

cookies and cream 2
metal wolf chaos 2 (and hd remaster of the first)
a survival horror game with emphasis and exploration and adventure game stuff

thanks, fromsoft. i'll be waiting

Peltz

I'd love to see his team take on a new genre completely. He's certainly earned the right to experiment liberally. Almost no other Japanese directors are in their prime quite like he is.

He's at the height of his creative powers.

I always find myself being impressed by Miyazaki and glad he is able to leave dark souls behind even though it is a easy sale. I look forward to his new ips but I still hope for a bloodborne 2 in the future though.

I wish their new IP is something of the same genre as Soulsborne series, but I think he wants really to try something new. I just hate robot games though lol

I'm sure he thinks of Bloodborne as completely separate.

Why so confident? Has he made it seem like he considers Bloodborne wholly divorced from the Souls series in some other interviews? Bloodborne seems to fit the idea of what a spinoff is to me. The mechanics are so similar that it's hard not to see it that way, but that's just what I think. What insight do you have into Miyazaki's mind?

'We want to try new things'
'We are going in a new direction'
'We can't keep making these games forever'
Gaf: bloodborne 2 confirmed oh my gawd!!!!

Also, to those who corrected me about froms ownership of the souls ip, thanks. I did not know that.

MogCakes

I understand everyone has faith in them for new projects, but well, i don´t have

Then you haven't been following them before Souls struck lightning. I am very glad Miyazaki isn't listening to those who want them to only do souls-esque ad nauseum.

So keeping what works in spirit is the best course of action IMO.

Unless you're in this industry not just to make money but to actually create something. Some things can't be measured in currency.

EDIT: Something I came across from last year:
http://www.designntrend.com/articles/55465/20150625/dark-souls-3-bloodborne-creator-final-game-rumors-armored-core.htm
With "Bloodborne" and "Dark Souls 3" nearly complete, the question that remains is what's next for their studio. Hidetaka was hesitant to confirm anything, but he suggested the possibility of experimenting with other genres. He was keen to remind his audience that From Software initially earned its reputation for "Armored Core" and ninja games. The thought at E3 was that he'd like to take what he's learned from "Dark Souls 3" and "Bloodborne" and apply those lessons to different scenarios.

Top Bottom