• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 06 The Show - Online League Interest Thread

Miguel

I'm planning on POSSIBLY setting up a LeagueDaddy site (similar to FMT's Madden League)

How many people would be interested?

I know Matrix/Wellington would probably join in, but I want to see how many people would be willing/able to play in a league. If it's a 12-16 team league, we can set up 4 divisions (AL West/AL East/NL West/NL East) and have 6 teams make the playoffs, with the #1 team in each League with a first round bye.

Anyway, I don't know what stats I'd use yet to keep track of, but similar to FMT's league, all stats must be entered, or face Trevor Hoffman death. :)

Anyone?

12 teams = 2 Leagues, no divisions. Top 3 teams make the playoffs.
16 teams = 2 leagues, 2 divisions per league, top team in each division makes the playoffs, and the team with the next best record is the wildcard. First round seeded by record, so if the WC team has the better record, they get a home field advantage.

I'll add more info as the votes come in :D

Miguel
Matrix
Rorschach (Damnit! ....maybe....DODGERS! ...maybe...)
swoon
Musashi Wins!
Wellington
DMczaf
FMT (maybe!)
Fifty (maybe)
Duck of Death
Rekwest

That's 11 (maybe!)

5 more?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Drinky: Excellent. Except for the exceptionally strong arms of some of the outfields, they've really nailed the game of baseball. The gameplay and strategy before and after the pitch is true to the game. Presentation (graphics and audio) is fully console-quality. I echo 1up's 9.0 score.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Drinky Crow said:
How's the PSP version?

unbelievably good. seriously, best handheld sports game evar.

the sliders I'm using, though the game is quite good out of the box:

arm strength -1, arm accuracy -1, pitching speed +2, errors +1

Miguel

16 teams league

-Play each of your 3 division rivals 6 times (18 games) (3 teams x 3 home + 3 away)
-Play each team in your league out of your division 3 times (12 games) (2 teams x 2 home 1 away + 2 teams x 2 away 1 home)
-Play 2 (random or someway figured out) teams in the opposite league two games (2 teams x 2 games (1 home 1 away)

Or we could totally eliminate inter-league, and set it up for a 30 game season. Yes? no? Too many?

Miguel

Whenever available. I'm thinking I'd do it like the GAF Winning Eleven League, 3 games (1 full "series") every 5-7 days.You can either try to get all of your games over with in one night (all 3 games will be with the same player) Or you can spread it out over the whole "week"

Once all games have been completed for that "week", stats and so on will be updated and all that junk, and the next week will be opened up.

Batting
At Bats
Runs
Hits
RBI
Double
Triple
Homerun
Sacrifice
Walks
Stolen Bases
Caught Stealing
Error
Average
HBP - (I hope Matrix's star player gets this a lot)
Slugging

Pitching
Starts
Innings pitched
Wins
Losses
Saves
Strikeouts
Complete game
Earned Runs
Hits allowed
Walks
Earned Run Average
HBP (Roy O will win this catergory, AH GA-RON-TEE IT! )
blown saves
Home runs allowed
Shut out
WHIP
K/9

Any other stats we should try adding?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Miguel said:
HBP - (I hope Matrix's star player gets this a lot)

:lol

Matrix

I like the MLB intro song better....HARD FI FOR THE WIN!

if we have a 12 man league i will play. anything less and count me out!

p.s. if we have 12 players, only 2 playoff teams per conference should get in. 3 TOPS, but no nba-style "hey half the teams get in!" bullshit, otherwise we should say screw leagues and play tournaments.

Miguel

6 teams total in the playoffs :p

NL East Winner
NL West Winner
NL Wildcard

AL East Winner
AL West Winner
AL Wildcard

Edit: ^that's for 16 teams

If we only get 12, then it'll be 4 playoff teams.

Matrix

Mr.BoOb wants the game,but he last said hes waiting till April.

Someone talk that douche into getting it and playing with the Cubs.

Miguel

Duck of Death said:
I'm game. Dibs on the Brewers!

pong-stare08.jpg

Matrix

For people that own the ps2 version please post your screen names you're using,id like to have some other people to play other than Mig and Fifty

Mines matrixadw

By the way, my screename is Duck_of_Death

I'm not very good at hitting. I played my first game online and he used Randy Johnson, so I struck out 20 times. What bugs me is that supposedly if you guess the pitch and zone right, you lock on, but I guessed it right every time (he kept throwing fastballs low), but only once or twice did it give me the lock on.

I'm also not quite sure how to hit in the first place. Anyone have any tips? :lol

Miguel

I think with the guess pitch/location, if the ball is right on the edge of the strike zone or out of the strike zone, then it doesn't light up. I pitch a lot on the outside trying to get people to swing at pitches just outside the strikezone, and even CK said he had some pitches guessed that didn't light up that were on the edge.

As far as locking on...as I could tell you...curves/sliders/changeups are STILL a bitch to hit. :lol

In 3 games, I think

Brandon Backe had 10 Ks
Rich Harden had 6 Ks
Jake Peavy had 3 Ks
Roy Oswalt has 12 Ks

Lidge in 2 games online for me has 3 Ks
Hoffman has 1 I think.

:)

Hahaha, looks like hitting is just flat out hard :lol

I really like how solid the game is online. Normally I'd be tossing the disc around the room screaming about dropped connections, but it played very smooth and lag-free. Same with Metal Gear Online. How come my EA sports games can't be so nice!?!?!!? ;)

Miguel

:lol

Matrix and I just had a great game

Twins vs Braves

Smoltz and Santana are racking up the Ks after a shaky first inning by Santana, but the Braves are up 3-0. Smoltz gives up a run in the middle of the game, then the Braves end up giving up another 2 in the 9th inning. We go to extra innings. I get a lead off triple, and I strike out with my first batter, line out with the second batter. Luis Castillo lines a single into left field for the go ahead run!

Nathan comes in for the save in the 10th. :)

Torii Hunter robbed Andruw Jones of a HR in center, later in the game, Langerhans or however you spell it robs the fuck out of Lew Ford with a runner on base. I'm thinking...wtf happened....OH SHIT HE CAUGHT IT! By this time, my baserunner is already at 2nd, so I have to hightail it back towards first and just BARELY make it in before the ball does.

Great game. :O

Matrix

I'm up for some games!

I swear to god I'm not choking away another game tonight,I'm picking a team with a solid pen.

Two of those wins were cheesy,right trigger lock on mlb 2k5 style,1000 hrs an inning bs using the Stros! :(

If I can actually get online tonight I'm down with a game. I tried last night, but for whatever reason it would never connect and a friend of mine wouldn't shutup while I was on the phone so I just gave up :(

Miguel

Matrix said:
I'm up for some games!

I swear to god I'm not choking away another game tonight,I'm picking a team with a solid pen.

Two of those wins were cheesy,right trigger lock on mlb 2k5 style,1000 hrs an inning bs using the Stros! :(

You were the one that STARTED using the guess pitch/location.

I wasn't using it til late in the first game, after I had already taken a sizable lead.

Matrix

Miguel said:
You were the one that STARTED using the guess pitch/location.

I wasn't using it til late in the first game, after I had already taken a sizable lead.

LIES!!! *runs away*

I didn't want to start another thread, but I have to say that I LOVE THIS GAME.

It just feels like great baseball; I just wrapped up opening a season with a 3 game series, and the third game just felt right: dramatic home runs that kept me in the game, extra innings, strikeouts that get the crowd roaring. This game, more than any other I have played, actually captures the excitement of baseball as a sport. :D

Matrix

I was on aim,I instant messaged you and I never got a reply :p

Matrix

Miguel said:
11!

One more and FMT is in! :p

GET BOB TO GET IT! talk to him on aim,speak naughty words to him about the Cubs.

since the winning eleven league is going to be wrapping soon i'll definitely think about this....i should be getting the game in the next few days.

Top Bottom