• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 10: The Show - Official Thread

JambiBum

So I just had a pretty nice game. Got out to an early 1-0 lead that I held for a few innings. Had a no hitter going into the 4th but ended up giving up an inside the park homerun on some bullshit line drive that Granderson just let go right by him. Stayed tied until the sixth where a guy pulled a double steal on me (1st to 2nd/3rd to home) I hit triangle not realizing that the guy was crazy enough to run home and I didn't correct myself in time. He held that lead until the 9th.

Grounded out with Posada and then managed to get to second with Johnson because of a throwing error from his SS. Swisher doubled to tie the game. Advanced Swisher to third with 2 outs and then Granderson made up for his huge blunder earlier and hit a walk off :lol

By far my favorite game yet. Really want to play someone from GAF soon though.

Boxscore for anyone interested.

bluemax said:
Anyone got recs on rosters? I want something with opening day lineups and a good amount of minor leaguers.

Wait for later today and follow this thread. There will be a roster update with full minor league players added, opening day rosters, face edits, stats edits and all sorts of other shit from the guys at OS. Beware of imposters that are already available to download.

Knights will give the word when they are up and ready!

bluemax

Banned
DoctorWho said:
Wait for later today and follow this thread. There will be a roster update with full minor league players added, opening day rosters, face edits, stats edits and all sorts of other shit from the guys at OS. Beware of imposters that are already available to download.

Knights will give the word when they are up and ready!

Thanks! Also digging the OS perfect sliders, game feels right now. I did lower CPU pickoffs some though because I feel they're bullshit as is.

Meier

The Frankman said:
I'm updating my slider set and waiting for Knight's OS rosters. SO PUMPED UP... I love Opening Day!
How exactly do I download the rosters? I just used the default ones for my RTTS (all I've played this year).

turnbuckle

Finally decided to try playing online. 0-3 so far but the lag seems kinda bad. It's worse for pitching than hitting. Feels like there's a little lag when I move my pitch location indicator around before delivery, too.

I'm having a hell of a time getting people to accept my challenges :(.

When ppl in the chat room say "GM" does that mean general manager or what? I've asked the question a few times in the chat but nobody responds :lol

Also, do all online games use the default rosters? I'm using the Tigers but their lineup is quite a bit different in game from what they are actually fielding IRL.

Doytch

turnbuckle said:
Finally decided to try playing online. 0-3 so far but the lag seems kinda bad. It's worse for pitching than hitting. Feels like there's a little lag when I move my pitch location indicator around before delivery, too.
Yeah, it does feel a bit different. Takes some getting used to, for me at least.
I just spam "hof all off" and then challenge people who call for a game when they type...
When ppl in the chat room say "GM" does that mean general manager or what? I've asked the question a few times in the chat but nobody responds :lol
Just stands for "game." sz=strike zone, gp=guess pitch, hz=hot zones, fp=fast play. Like I said, I just abbreviate it to "all off" when I ask for a game.
Also, do all online games use the default rosters? I'm using the Tigers but their lineup is quite a bit different in game from what they are actually fielding IRL.
They use the current online rosters which get updated each Monday (sometimes to less-than-optimal results). You can change the lineups/defensive positioning though.

JambiBum

turnbuckle said:

Instead of going the game lobby route why don't you just use the play now feature?

Doytch

JambiBum said:
Instead of going the game lobby route why don't you just use the play now feature?
I tried using that crap at the start and found one game. I tried a tonne of times, before I realised that everyone just uses the lobbies (which are fubar'd themselves). No one uses scout now, so it's useless.

Note, I had my scout set on HOF, SZ/GP off.

JambiBum

Doytch said:
I tried using that crap at the start and found one game. I tried a tonne of times, before I realised that everyone just uses the lobbies (which are fubar'd themselves). No one uses scout now, so it's useless.

Note, I had my scout set on HOF, SZ/GP off.

I don't do scout at all. I just hit play now and have found plenty of games. Sometimes it matches you up with people who have ridiculous records but other than that it works fine for me.

Doytch

JambiBum said:
I don't do scout at all. I just hit play now and have found plenty of games. Sometimes it matches you up with people who have ridiculous records but other than that it works fine for me.
Yeah, I just hate playing default rules. Veteran is too easy to get hits in, and GP is a joke.

eznark

Banned
I use scout all the time but it almost never results in a game. Default play now is horse shit, and I don't really dig lobbies. Basically I only play my one friend who games and gaffers.

turnbuckle

finally got a game, ended up giving up 17 runs. at least I scored 4!
I just found out during htis game that you can aim your swing (left stick). I had 08, 09, and now 10 editions and never knew this. Wow...

Oh, and Doytch the players it allows me to switch in my lineup aren't in the tigers regular real lineup either. Hopefully a new roster update will fix this

JambiBum

turnbuckle said:
finally got a game, ended up giving up 17 runs. at least I scored 4!
I just found out during htis game that you can aim your swing (left stick). I had 08, 09, and now 10 editions and never knew this. Wow...

Oh, and Doytch the players it allows me to switch in my lineup aren't in the tigers regular real lineup either. Hopefully a new roster update will fix this

If you want to we can play a game. Itching for some gaf games.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKK KK!

Online game....Reds vs Royals.

8 2/3 innings of no hit baseball and the guy breaks it up on a 2-2 pitch up the middle with the 2b diving for it and almost getting it.

Man, I felt the nerves of a real pitcher. It was exhilarating.

My wife shot a video of the 9th but im too embarrassed to show it.

If I had my wife film me pitching a no-no when I got the final out I'd celebrate, high-five her and then have sex with her with the boxscore in the background. CHICKS DIG NO-NOS!!!!

... then again I'm not married, I wonder why?

eznark

Banned
The Frankman said:
If I had my wife film me pitching a no-no when I got the final out I'd celebrate, high-five her and then have sex with her with the boxscore in the background. CHICKS DIG NO-NOS!!!!

... then again I'm not married, I wonder why?
Because it's not legal to marry your anime sex pillow in New York?

eznark said:
Because it's not legal to marry your anime sex pillow in New York?
jamesfrancopillow.jpg

WRRRRRRRROONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!

Amory

The hitting in this game feels really difficult through my first 10 or so games. I'm playing on all star and it's a little frustrating, but when you blast a home run it's really, really satisfying.

Just hit my first walk off with prince fielder. That felt good. How is there no trophy for that though??

crpav

I have been patiently waiting for them to releases the opening day rosters but no news at all. Anyone know anything about when they will be released?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Still no patches or solutions to the RttS bug that just...pretty much ends your game. Faith is lost.

I'm so pissed right now. Had a perfect game going through 8 innings in RTTS and my defense fucking sucks and let a weak ground ball go right under my shortstops legs that was then counted as a hit. Playing in AA right now. It's not just this game but every single game something like this happens. My outfielders just jog to a ball that could easily have been caught with some fucking hussle.

I'm playing '09 the show but has the RTTS defense always been this horrible? I've never played RTTS till now so I'm just curious if its the same in '10 and past iterations of the show?

Does it get better when you are called up to the majors? I could understand if it was just a minor league thing. I hope I get some better run support and defense when I get called up.

criesofthepast said:
I'm so pissed right now. Had a perfect game going through 8 innings in RTTS and my defense fucking sucks and let a weak ground ball go right under my shortstops legs that was then counted as a hit. Playing in AA right now. It's not just this game but every single game something like this happens. My outfielders just jog to a ball that could easily have been caught with some fucking hussle.

I'm playing '09 the show but has the RTTS defense always been this horrible? I've never played RTTS till now so I'm just curious if its the same in '10 and past iterations of the show?

Does it get better when you are called up to the majors? I could understand if it was just a minor league thing. I hope I get some better run support and defense when I get called up.

Meh, it is slightly better. Adjusting the sliders helps though. It can still be very frustrating at times. Every so often an outfielder will spin around in circles while the ball lands just behind him, turning an out into a triple. Stuff like that is irritating. Overall RttS as a starting pitcher in '10 is a better experience than in '09 though, IMO.

turnbuckle

I can only stand RttS if I'm being a pitcher. And then I think it's really awesome. Too many start-stops and awkward controls/camera angles playing any field position. The mode is a thousand times more frustrating in general starting with a scrub hitter/fielder than a scrub pitcher.

AA defense is a lot worse than defense in the majors though. But some of the animations in the game really mess up the ability to play good D. If a ball goes up against the wall, your fielder does his best impression of being drunk while trying to brace/balance himself. Takes a ridiculous amount of time to throw the ball in certain situations as well. Had more than a couple of blown games on runners double-stealing while my fielder takes a few seconds just to toss the ball to the catcher.

How do you pitch better in this game? If I'm even a little off the white line for control it goes no where even close to where I picked. I still suck horribly at this game.

Top Bottom