• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 14: The Show |OT| ?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Just got the digital vita version. Was the frame rate this bad last year? I played on Cart.

I played on Cart last year too. But got digital this year. Like I said before though I'm not noticing any framerate issues. Maybe I'm just blind to them idk, seems like something I'd notice. Either way I hope it's something that can be patched for those seeing issues.

Sounds good enough. I'll probably pick it up before I fly out next week. That's crazy with the battery, though.
edit: Also I just got done with a franchise game after fully charging my battery and it doesn't take half my battery power to complete one game. I must have already been low on battery before.

br3wnor

Played the Vita version on a cart for about half hour, no framerate issues, same graphics as last year but presentation is slicker and fielders actually feel like they're running full speed now which is awesome. Will be dumping 200+ hours into this bad boy

Arya Stark

Neo Member
Itching real bad to play this right now but I think I can wait till the PS4 version. Sucks that it's still a month out but my PS3 is gone and I really regretted MLB 12 on Vita with those PSP quality visuals and crappy analog sticks. Must have strength.

Ugh, hearing about framerate skips are a bummer for the Vita version. MLB 13 seemed to clean up the issues from MLB 12, and it's disappointing that they appear to be big.

Probably skipping until PS4 version comes out. And if there's an $80 deal for both PS4 & Vita versions, I would be in.

phierce

Just tossed a 13 K perfect game with Lester to open the season.

Hmmm should probably up the difficulty some more lol

MLB 14: The Show |OT| PS4 serving a 1 month PED suspension

dLQEUOJ.gif

First things first, when playing the show, it is imperative to set your PS3 display at 720p for the best experience.

New Batter Pitcher info at your finger tips

Hit the right directional pad and you will bring up individual batting break down vs. overall pitching break down

Hit Left on the directional pad ratings versus same as years past with the a new OSD and a little more info

Holding down L2 while pitching you can look over at the base runner, just watching turn his head is pretty cool.

Dynamic Hitting camera is sublime and the fielding is as well takes some getting use to because its ratings based, you really get to see the difference in range some of the out fielders have separating the good fielders from the great.

Lots of new post play camera angles, as well as some nifty replay angles that wasn't present in previous versions. Commentary is better this year as far as flow and conversational. The dead space is virtually eliminated and of course there are legacy commentary you hear year to year, but what do you know its baseball.

F34R

Was seriously going to get the Vita and PS4 version. Well, in light of the framerate talk on the Vita, I'll have to pass. PS4 only I guess.

Any all Pure Analog only players? Analog only is me for pitching/batting and fielding.

Testing waters on Dynamic Difficulty for hitting and pitching went from Rookie + with my progress diving from Rookie + Progress - by 3rd inning by the end of the 8th inning I was Rookie + Progress - -. Just swing at everything right now with no goal other than just to experience the game and its features. I'll get in the groove later.

FrankWza

Was seriously going to get the Vita and PS4 version. Well, in light of the framerate talk on the Vita, I'll have to pass. PS4 only I guess.

The vita version has always had framerate issues. If it's that much more noticeable now it's gotta be laughably bad. Im curious to see what the comparisons with remote play look like.

BFIB

Played a few games on the Vita. Only slowdown I'm seeing is on the batter walk ups. Balls in play, I've yet to see any slowdown.

F34R

I've had 12 since it was released. Wanted to wait for 14... I want to get it, but the videos I've watched since my last post have me on the fence.

I'm gonna wait for some more info before plunging.

DietRob

I'm in on the PS4 version as well.

Live blogging balls and strikes ladies and gents. ;)

I've played on Vita most of the day, time to see how it is on ps3.

edit: Man... I forgot how good we have it on ps4, installing 10gb of data upfront on ps3 is a real downer. I don't have enough sandwiches for this!

RdN

Damn.. I'm itching for this game, but the $20 upgrade is way to expensive IMO. Gotta be strong and hold for next month.

Played a couple exposition matches and wow is all I can say.

awesome game. Yeah I'm sure it's not as good as the PS3 version but it's pretty freaking amazing.

I got my vita a little over a month ago and got a used copy of MLB 12 to check it out (it was $5). I hated it. It was lacking so much.

I was pretty nervous about this version after checking out 12, but MLB 14 is amazing.

Has there been any demos for the Show in recent years?

Graphics alone have me interested in picking this up when I get a PS4 but the only sports game I play is hockey and thats more of a casual thing then anything. I need to try this before I fork out the cash.

Korezo

Anyone have anything to say about the stubs currency added? Is it as bad as NBA 2k14s VC where the game has to be connected online to have functional game modes and removed customization?

oatmeal

Banned
Live blogging balls and strikes ladies and gents. ;)

I've played on Vita most of the day, time to see how it is on ps3.

edit: Man... I forgot how good we have it on ps4, installing 10gb of data upfront on ps3 is a real downer. I don't have enough sandwiches for this!

I need EviLore to make my 60 second break between posts go away.

bradigor

Can anyone answer this for me please?

If I pick this up for my EU Vita, can I still use cross-save if I then get the US version on PS4? Or would I be forced to use the EU version on the bigger consoles?

If the Vita had easy account switching, this wouldn't even be an issue, but alas, it doesn't.

F34R

Graphics alone have me interested in picking this up when I get a PS4 but the only sports game I play is hockey and thats more of a casual thing then anything. I need to try this before I fork out the cash.

Nope, I literally just checked.

pdk27

Bought the Vita version (digital) last night and tried a couple innings before work this morning. For me it's still just as impossible to get the pulse pitching working correctly. Feels almost like I have to hit the button when the circle is at it's biggest so that by the time the game accepts the input the circle is smaller.

bebop242

Bought the Vita version (digital) last night and tried a couple innings before work this morning. For me it's still just as impossible to get the pulse pitching working correctly. Feels almost like I have to hit the button when the circle is at it's biggest so that by the time the game accepts the input the circle is smaller.

Yea, I have the same issue. Its annoying. I have always liked the Show, but I really wish they had a different pitching mechanic.

DietRob

Yea, I have the same issue. Its annoying. I have always liked the Show, but I really wish they had a different pitching mechanic.

Uh, they do. I hate pulse pitching as well so I switch it to meter first thing.

The Show really isn't a casual sports / baseball game. It's very frustrating for new players, unless you're willing to -- literally -- put in hours of practice. It's one of the few games that I buy semi-annually that I have to put serious work into in getting better. If you want to feel what it's like to struggle to hit .100 in double A, only to get benched and be a spot starter and come in off the bench to strike out in the 8th inning once every 3 games ... This is the game. It's probably the most depressing sports game I've ever played.

That said, it's bells and whistles baseball and is very rewarding if you're willing to put in the time. Unfortunately, almost every year, I'm not willing to put in the time for it... I'll play it a lot in April and May and then run out of time. I'm interested in Adaptive Difficulty + Quick Counts this year, as it seems like I'd be able to get more out of it than in the past... At least be able to get through a few seasons.

Alas... I still long for a manager mode akin to MVP '05. It's depressing that it's been almost 9 years and no other game has done it (2K tried for a while but each year, their manager mode had a horrible glitch that made it unuseable... no surprise).

I believe there are three or four pitching options.

Which is actually another thing I like about The Show, but also kind of don't like. They give you 3+ options for playing every position... Pulse pitching, meter pitching, pure analog, and maybe one other. SAme with batting... Timing, pure analog, and the other one that is a mix of timing and placement (I Think they call it precision? I forget). I love the options... but I'm the kind of guy who struggles to tell which one is truly good for me. ANd when I'm hitting one of those 1/23 slumps in Road to the Show mode, I'm always going online and thinking "Oh, this guy says that Analog is better.. this guy says that Precision is better.." etc.

bigkrev

I liked Pulse Pitching a lot (switch it back to classic mode to get an easier to see outlined circle), but as i'm trying out Analog hitting for the first time (I normally just use timing), i'm thinking of trying out the analog pitching. Just worried the Vita stick isn't up to snuff

Top Bottom