• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 14: The Show |OT| ?

GRaider81

Even though they used the same 3 man commentary booth this year. They have really improved on the dead space and the 3 man banter, they ask each other questions and banter about as if they are all in the same booth.

The best Sports game I've played on the PS3 period, I don't play online especially baseball requires too much time and not everyone has the same connection, which makes for poor results. I hear some people are having great success playing online and some aren't. It's not cut and dry as Pasta makes it out to be.

Not like pasta to over exaggerate

Personally I haven't had much success but over at my friends its great. Obviously they still need to work on it but its not a mess like is being suggested.

I like pasta too but he does have a flair for the dramatic

Not like pasta to over exaggerate

Personally I haven't had much success but over at my friends its great. Obviously they still need to work on it but its not a mess like is being suggested.

I like pasta too but he does have a flair for the dramatic

If somebody says

"Also I've yet to be able to complete any games against other people, they've all ended in disconnects and frozen consoles."

I would call that a pretty big mess.

I would prefer for people to be "over dramatic" you know what would have saved me 60 dollars? if initial reviewers were overdramatic about the trash that 2k14 on next gen became. Instead we got "best looking sports game ever! what an amazing title!"

Sounds like it really sucks. I hope by the time the PS4 version rolls out, it's miraculously fixes itself...

If somebody says

I would call that a pretty big mess.

Sounds like it really sucks. I hope by the time the PS4 version rolls out, it's miraculously fixes itself...

Its embarrassing and unacceptable for a first party game to perform like that... thats EA level bush league crap

For all of EA's bullshit, at least their online stuff works. very few problems when it came to Madden, NHL, and FIFA online

this is just embarrassing on a different kind of level

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Its embarrassing and unacceptable for a first party game to perform like that... thats EA level bush league crap

EA's shit works. They deserve all the shit they get for not pushing their sports games forward but online works and that's a big part of the picture for the genre

Rflagg

Disappointed to hear online is such a issue, but it was never going to be my main mode just some games between willing neogafers/friends list. I think I have talked myself into getting this on ps4, it has a very long time since I owned a baseball game, mostly due to the fact the season is so crazy long, somewhat due to the fact I don't follow the sport much.

bradigor

I have this on the Vita (took the plunge) and I see you can influence the direction when batting (R + RS and direction) however it seems to be a bit of a pain holding the directions you want and pressing X at the same time.

Am I doing this right? As it seems a bit counter intuitive. Or do I do the influence option at some other point before trying to make contact?

LegoDad

EA's shit works. They deserve all the shit they get for not pushing their sports games forward but online works and that's a big part of the picture for the genre

For all of EA's bullshit, at least their online stuff works. very few problems when it came to Madden, NHL, and FIFA online

this is just embarrassing on a different kind of level

EA's online system has the same issues.

bebop242

Playing on the Vita and had an unfortunate bug. Batter hits the ball to deep centerfield so my outfieldet runs out to get it. Right at the wall he leaps and clips right through the wall and disappears. Ball then drops at the base of the wall. SMH.

I'm enjoying the game but thats 2k quality right there.

pastapadre

Neo Member
What is wrong with Sony San Diego? They screw up online every year.

I was told this like six years ago, and it seems safe to assume the reasoning is the same now. They just don't think investing in online will get them returns in the way of additional sales or revenue. They won't put the money in to fix it and get it up to a proper standard. MLB 13 actually showed significant improvement so I thought that philosophy might have changed but I'm not so sure anymore. Remember this is not a huge seller - it's a prestigious game for Sony but baseball doesn't even move 20% the copies of what NBA and NFL do. Also back then the poor online really wasn't hurting their review scores. To an extent many outlets still don't even factor online in with their reviews for sports games (some don't even attempt to play online while others don't think the problems are important apparently). It's not like most of these big site reviewers are even going to test Online Franchise but they sure will note it as a feature addition.

bebop242

I was told this like six years ago, and it seems safe to assume the reasoning is the same now. They just don't think investing in online will get them returns in the way of additional sales or revenue. They won't put the money in to fix it and get it up to a proper standard. MLB 13 actually showed significant improvement so I thought that philosophy might have changed but I'm not so sure anymore. Also back then the poor online really wasn't hurting their review scores. To an extent many outlets still don't even factor online in with their reviews for sports games (some don't even attempt to play online while others don't think the problems are important apparently).

This right here, to me anyway, is a perfect example why they need direct competition. What else do they deem not worthwhile to fix or improve? Probably hyperbole, but EA/NFL has done an excellent job at stifling progress in sports games in general.

lol damn we can't ever get two games of the same sport to both be decent at the same time

I just want MVP 2005 back :(

I had the game freeze on my twice in RTTS the exact same way. Me on 2nd and the SS throwing me the ball to start to turn a double play. I'm standing on 2nd, he throws the ball and it froze, twice. The 2nd prospect game and the 1st after I went back to "college" and redid the games. I'm just renting the game since I want the PS3 version, so it's not a huge deal, but I did find it weird it happening on such a common interaction.

EA's online system has the same issues.

uh.... for what EA game? certainly not madden. for all the shit madden gets (mostly from people who haven't played the game) it's online features and performance is by far the best on the market for sports games.

with regards to mlb, i didn't think it was that bad last year but its disappointing to hear that online franchise isn't working properly. hope they iron shit out before the ps4 version hits :(

DietRob

I had the game freeze on my twice in RTTS the exact same way. Me on 2nd and the SS throwing me the ball to start to turn a double play. I'm standing on 2nd, he throws the ball and it froze, twice. The 2nd prospect game and the 1st after I went back to "college" and redid the games. I'm just renting the game since I want the PS3 version, so it's not a huge deal, but I did find it weird it happening on such a common interaction.

Nooooo... Just got this same error for my RTTS shortstop. I had already hit a HR, triple, and Double. It is top of the 7th and went to turn a double play. Error C2-12828-1 on Vita.. FUCK!

Here's where you go to report bugs. Please do if you get them.
http://theshownation.com/bug_reports/new

Nice little strike out presentation for Kershaw vs the Braves. I struck out the side in the 1st and the next 2 batters in the 2nd and the commentators starts talking about it and they show the strike out pitch of each batter on show track.

Dynamic Difficulty is the cure for sliders. So for waiting to pick up the game on the PS4 try this difficulty out, the catch is you must play about 15 to 20 games, so the game picks up on your tendencies and figures out a sweet spot that is not too hard or easy. Once you arrive to the sweet spot you will love the variety of hits and game play.

Quick

Banned
I'm currently going through the MLB Draft in RTTS on the Vita version, and when the White Sox made their selection, the announcer referred to them as the "Black Sox".

What the hell. :lol

DietRob

I'm currently going through the MLB Draft in RTTS on the Vita version, and when the White Sox made their selection, the announcer referred to them as the "Black Sox".

What the hell. :lol

Haha, really? I've created two players and went through the draft twice but didn't pay attention. I'll have another go later to see if it's the same for me. lol

Sun Drugs

Stupid question, where do you enable the quick counts feature? I just got the PS3 version today and I can't find a setting anywhere. Googling doesn't really help either.

EDIT: The option pops up right after selecting the settings for a game. It doesn't look like there is a way to enable this for The Show Live games though, which is what I was trying.

Tomorrow we get the first live roster update!

operation sports news

ssd said:
The first Live Roster of the year will be available April 8, 2014. We understand this is a week later than years past. Please understand that if we could have offered the live roster on April 1st, without jeopardizing other critical responsibilities we would have.

DietRob

Interview with Ramone Russell (community manager) regarding online, some direct ps4 gameplay , ect..

So Ramone is saying that they ripped out every piece of netcode in The Show and reworked everything. And due to that they caused a slew of new issues. I guess the first step in solving it is admitting it's garbage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm_qKkdHTYw

If they fix PS4 version by the time it rolls out, all is forgiven.

I hope NHL isn't trash when it first comes out...

dangerussie

Neo Member
I've had the game since release date for Vita and have yet to have a problem. Granted I only play Exhibition and RTTS, my only complaint is on fouls balls and after rounding 3rd when you hit a HR I get a little frame rate drop. Not a big deal. Being that the last baseball game I owned was Triple Play '97 I'm happy to have picked this up and can't wait for the PS4 version as well.

stack9902

Banned
so far I am liking the Vita version much more than 13, it wasn't bad, but this is improved. I look forward to the PS4 version, great times!!!! Too bad it was delayed on the 4 :(

Heads up, when you load rosters it resets your slider settings as well.

I can't figure out how to get the official SCEA roster on Vita

Also kind of disappointed with the crowd sounds in Turner Field, it sounds like a minor league crowd.

Also the chop and drums are missing

Those are the best beards I've ever seen in a vidyagame. I haven't played a baseball game seriously since Ken Griffey on SNES, but for some reason...I am feeling somewhat compelled to play this game. I really am not a fan of watching baseball, either...hmmm......

Sun Drugs

I am loving everything thus far. My player is a 3B in RTTS, and I am finding fielding and baserunning a lot funner this year. In previous years, I just skipped all opportunities. Batting also seems somewhat easier too. The footsteps in RTTS sound kind of...cheesy. I would say that is my only complaint though.

The wait is still killing me!

Does anybody else give their RTTS character funny nicknames? I usually use my name but give them stupid audio names like Chubby Dickey, Smokey Greenwood, and a few others I can't remember.

I actually used my real name but that's hilarious

I used my real name when I first started playing, and still use it as my jersey name, but my friend and I found out you could have some funny nicknames so we've been doing that ever since. I try to come up with a new one every new player I make.

friz898

I used my real name when I first started playing, and still use it as my jersey name, but my friend and I found out you could have some funny nicknames so we've been doing that ever since. I try to come up with a new one every new player I make.

I usually do non-clever things like "Joe Closer" "Joe Slugger" "Joe Starter" depending on what they are in RttS.

That being said, for the announcement nickname, I try to do amusing combinations.

Wrayfield

I'm hitting .465 in AAA and just got benched. No reason given. Just a week earlier it said "You're ready for your next step, but there is no roster space for you yet." I hate the Cubs.

Top Bottom