• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 14: The Show |OT| ?

Fromw hat I remember, Analog pitching was sort of a failure in the series... They got unneccessary heat from 2K when 2K introduced analog pitching (which honestly, I thought was pretty original back in 2008 or 2009), and so they put a half baked analog pitching system into The Show.

Pulse is good in that it's difficult to get consistent results, and things like confidence and stamina really make it more difficult. When you do get it and pitch a great game, you feel like a god. But it takes a lot of work.

Saganator

The Show really isn't a casual sports / baseball game. It's very frustrating for new players, unless you're willing to -- literally -- put in hours of practice. It's one of the few games that I buy semi-annually that I have to put serious work into in getting better. If you want to feel what it's like to struggle to hit .100 in double A, only to get benched and be a spot starter and come in off the bench to strike out in the 8th inning once every 3 games ... This is the game. It's probably the most depressing sports game I've ever played.

And for those who aren't after punishing game play, you can always change the controls to classic, adjust the sliders and difficulty and end up being home run king. I've always sucked at aiming my swing to where the ball is going, so I pretty much always turn that off.

Quick count starting you off at 0-2 too often kinda sucks. I can see a lot of people getting frustrated at that, as they'll probably swing no matter what, and if the pitching AI is worth half a shit, the batter should not be seeing a good pitch to hit in 0-2, which means a good chance they're gonna strike out.

Hasney

Long shot in case anyone has this scenario, but does cross-save work between US and PAL versions? Going to get the PAL Vita version as I have some credit and the price is pretty good, but then get the US PS4 version when it comes out as it'll probably be cheaper. I won't bother with the Vita version if the cross-save doesn't work though.

FrankWza

Fromw hat I remember, Analog pitching was sort of a failure in the series... They got unneccessary heat from 2K when 2K introduced analog pitching (which honestly, I thought was pretty original back in 2008 or 2009), and so they put a half baked analog pitching system into The Show.

Pulse is good in that it's difficult to get consistent results, and things like confidence and stamina really make it more difficult. When you do get it and pitch a great game, you feel like a god. But it takes a lot of work.

I'm all about meter pitching and have been since at least the show(I think high heat had it as well) one of the reasons the vita always had issues is the frame skips make it tough to use. Now I'm wondering if the reason everyone is having more issues than usual is that they needed to take the new LCD Vita into account and slow things down. I'm very critical of these issues on vita every year. If it's gotten worse I'm gonna pass but if it's the same I want this game now because I don't really want to wait until may 6 for some baseball. It would be sad if remote play performs better than the vita version.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
If you want to feel what it's like to struggle to hit .100 in double A, only to get benched and be a spot starter and come in off the bench to strike out in the 8th inning once every 3 games ... This is the game. It's probably the most depressing sports game I've ever played.

This is the absolute truth. Especially the bolded. I've come to the point in my gaming life that The Show and a few other sports titles are the only ones I really enjoy anymore outside of small indie stuff. All combined I've put well over 500 hours (probably more) into The Show. I take a RTTS guy through around a decade each year. I still end up getting in multiple game 0fer slumps and get extremely frustrated.

Xater

Just got the digital vita version. Was the frame rate this bad last year? I played on Cart.

Played last years version on Vita as a download and don't remember any major frame rate issues.

I am curious how they will price the PS4 version here in Europe because the Vita and PS3 version start out pretty cheap.

DietRob

Long shot in case anyone has this scenario, but does cross-save work between US and PAL versions? Going to get the PAL Vita version as I have some credit and the price is pretty good, but then get the US PS4 version when it comes out as it'll probably be cheaper. I won't bother with the Vita version if the cross-save doesn't work though.

Good question. I don't have any experience with this at all. The only experience I have is way back when I bought the PAL version of Killzone 2 because I could get it a week early on Play-Asia and none of the DLC would work.

The 'cross save' is actually an upload to the cloud mechanic. I have both PS3 and Vita versions of The Show and when I want to continue on PS3 I go to 'download from cloud' I'm not sure if you have other experience with using that mechanic but if so I imagine it would work in the same way as other games like Guacamelee.

krpiper

What camera do you guys use to bat? I seem to be missing more than usual

But that could be because this is the first year I've bought on my ps3

I have 12 on the vita and skipped last year

Peru

Exactly - I feel pulse pitching successfully emulates the stress and nerves of having to deliver and really, really having to focus right to nail it.

br3wnor

Played 4 games in Franchise on Vita, really impressed so far.

GOOD
- Fielding is SO much better, holy shit. Compared to last year, the players fly across the outfield/infield now. It feels great to run down a fly w/ a speedy player now, never felt that in previous versions.
- Dynamic camera is great. Really like how hits look now, little more presentation flair which is nice considering how stripped down the rest of the presentation is
- Quick Count is AWESOME. I thought I'd hate it but after playing 3 games w/ it, I'm not going back. I actually walk sometimes now which is great, I was way too impatient to do so when playing w/ normal pitching but now I come to bat at 3-1 or 3-0 and get some walks out of it. Coming to bat at 0-2 or 3-2 sucks but it also adds some great drama when it happens in a big spot.

BAD
- Am I crazy or can you not see who's coming up for the other team when you go to the bullpen? Also, is there no fatigue bar in the bullpen tab either? Kind of annoying and makes no sense if these were both taken out

That's it for bad, this game is fantastic. Can't wait to play multiple seasons in a franchise thanks to quick count. Gonna put another 300 hours into this easily.

krpiper

Any all Pure Analog only players? Analog only is me for pitching/batting and fielding.

I use Analog for pitching on the PS3, I have been using timing on the Vita as I don't think the sticks are precise enough.

Can I have some general tips about Analog pitching? Also what is the red mark that appears on the pitching interface sometimes?

Although a bug I have is sometimes a scorebug popup interferes with the pitching interface

br3wnor

Can I have some general tips about Analog pitching? Also what is the red mark that appears on the pitching interface sometimes?

The more you use it, the better you'll get. Not much else you can do but practice, especially w/ Vita and the tiny stick.

What I like about analog pitching is that even when you 'master' it, you still have pitches throughout the game that end up terrible because you fucked the stick motion up. Also like that you can be off by a little and just miss a strike leading to a walk. It just seems more realistic that even the best pitchers in the world still leaving curves hanging sometimes or miss with their fastball.

JesseDeya

Banned

Yes that should work, especially now they have done away with online passes.

It sort of didn't work with The Show 12. I bought 12 on Vita (US Cart) but couldn't activate the online pass as it was for US accounts only (My primary account is PAL). I had the US PS3 disc too, and activating that online pass was fine (used my secondary US account), but without the Vita online pass I couldn't use cross-save.

Eventually they brought out The Show 12 Vita (PAL Digital) and I was able to buy that which naturally included the online pass. This would cross-save with my PS3 version even though it was a US copy.

Long story short, I think PAL Vita and US PS3/4 versions will cross-save.

phierce

This is the absolute truth. Especially the bolded. I've come to the point in my gaming life that The Show and a few other sports titles are the only ones I really enjoy anymore outside of small indie stuff. All combined I've put well over 500 hours (probably more) into The Show. I take a RTTS guy through around a decade each year. I still end up getting in multiple game 0fer slumps and get extremely frustrated.
Yeah...I can sympathize with this. Just last night I had a 16 hit streak followed by a 2 for 20'ish slump which was followed by another hit streak of 6 games.

Then again, if I wanted to play an arcade style baseball game, I wouldn't pick up The Show.

Quick

Banned
What's the verdict on the Vita version? Same as last year?

I'm still on MLB 13 for PS3 and Vita until the PS4 version of 14 comes out next month.

DietRob

I'm still on MLB 13 for PS3 and Vita until the PS4 version of 14 comes out next month.

Vita version is good. A little more presentation than last year. Feilding feels better this year. Everything else gameplay wise basically the same not that it's a bad thing. If you do get it go for the physical version as some people are seeing framerate issues with digital version.

Damn.. I'm itching for this game, but the $20 upgrade is way to expensive IMO. Gotta be strong and hold for next month.

It will be worth the wait. Even if it were just a straight port with better graphics like next-gen FIFA or Madden it'd be worth it. Stay strong.

Quick

Banned
Vita version is good. A little more presentation than last year. Feilding feels better this year. Everything else gameplay wise basically the same not that it's a bad thing. If you do get it go for the physical version as some people are seeing framerate issues with digital version.

I've gone digital for 2 years now for both 12 and 13, but I think I'll be going for a physical copy this year just to be able to trade it in later. Good to know about the framerate issues with the digital copy.

EB Games doesn't seem to have that trade-in/upgrade promo from PS3 to PS4 here in Canada, so I'm definitely going to be waiting for the PS4 version. Plus, $20 seems steep to begin with.

DietRob

Just saw my first bit of noticeable frame drop. Had bases loaded on RTTS mode I was batting and hit a grounder to SS while he was doubling me up it got pretty choppy. At least these frame drops haven't happened while batting or pitching where it would really screw things up.

Still hope they are able to push a patch to fix this.

DireStr8s

So, if you go into an online room & select a player, one option is "Sportscast Live" Nothig happens when I select it. Does anyone know what this is? I'm hoping to spectate online games.

I had the vita version last year and hated it. This year's version is so much better, the graphics, frame rate, presentation are all much improved. I just started a RTTS with a pitcher and it is digital crack, so much fun. With the cross cloud saves, I can continue it the day the PS4 version comes out. I'm really enjoying it.

You Must TRY Community Challenges it is Awesome. The catch is you must risk some of your stubs to win more stubs. A challenge I just did was bottom of 9th bases loaded no outs, do not give up a run. The minimum bet was 10 stub points to win 37 stub points. I lost on the last out full count.

phierce

Anyone else experienced any lock ups or freezes during gameplay? I played 6-8 hours yesterday and had none. I've had 2 in two hours today. Had to restart the PS3.

friz898

I think what I will do this year is buy it for ps4 and remote it often onto my vita. I never play my vita outside the house anyway.

Any foreseeable flaws with this plan guys?

How is the online play? is it a mess or is it fixed? I heard it was always terrible in this game.

HOPING the ps4 version is not a mess

Respect

Looking forward to it...holding out for the PS4 version.

For RTTS mode, does having a large contract actually mean anything in this version? Last one I played was a few years back and, having a big contract meant squat, hoping it has some bearing on player in this version other than user ego.

pastapadre

Neo Member
Is there some sort of weird review embargo? Only reviews I could find for PS3 version was on a few playstation websites.

I believe they didn't provide review copies to most outlets until the day before release.

How is the online play? is it a mess or is it fixed? I heard it was always terrible in this game.

HOPING the ps4 version is not a mess

Pretty much a complete disaster and there's no reason to expect it to be any better on PS4. Online Franchise is totally unreliable too - sometimes even results from games completed against the CPU don't show up. Can't recommend anyone invest hours in playing games where they may not even get recorded and have to be played again. Also I've yet to be able to complete any games against other people, they've all ended in disconnects and frozen consoles.

Have about 20 hours on Vita version... love the new menus, much easier to get around and find things. Presentation is slightly improved. Finding the game to be a little more responsive with improved pacing, but I could just be seeing things.

Overall, I like last year's Vita version too, but this one is improved. I have not seen frame dips with RTTS or in exhibition games.

Online was borked day 1, but was working fine for me last night.

8/10 would squeeze play again

Still more excited for the new Out of the Park 15 game, however.

any replays on vita?

Yep, watched Reddick do a sweet catch at the wall a few times yesterday

DietRob

Pretty much a complete disaster and there's no reason to expect it to be any better on PS4. Online Franchise is totally unreliable too - sometimes even results from games completed against the CPU don't show up. Can't recommend anyone invest hours in playing games where they may not even get recorded and have to be played again. Also I've yet to be able to complete any games against other people, they've all ended in disconnects and frozen consoles.

Majorly disappointing.

Has anyone here imported Pro Yakyuu Spirits for Vita? I really want it but I don't know if I want it enough to pay $70.
I love MLB an have been enjoying it immensely, but PYS looks like an amazing baseball game

I believe they didn't provide review copies to most outlets until the day before release.

sigh. I've been an XBOX guy, and MLB by 2k sports has been a joke for years. the same bugs remained in the game year after year.. but at least it was playable online.. i remember 2k7 had some horrible bugs where the fielders would randomly not catch anything.. 9 run leads weren't safe with 2 out in the bottom of the 9th.. but it was kind of exciting.

i'll be thoroughly disappointed if its a mess on PS4. that shouldn't be happening with any online game

Even though they used the same 3 man commentary booth this year. They have really improved on the dead space and the 3 man banter, they ask each other questions and banter about as if they are all in the same booth.

The best Sports game I've played on the PS3 period, I don't play online especially baseball requires too much time and not everyone has the same connection, which makes for poor results. I hear some people are having great success playing online and some aren't. It's not cut and dry as Pasta makes it out to be.

Top Bottom