• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 14: The Show |OT| ?

I can't hit worth a crap. Using pure analog, as its similar to what I'm used to coming from the 2K series, I just can't get my timing down. Game is hard.

Wow.

Despite being a big baseball fan, I never bought a PS3 — I preferred the XBOX 360 — and had not played The Show since 2006 on the PS2. I am absolutely in love with this game.

I downloaded the game Friday night and have managed to squeeze five games in so far this weekend. It looks great, plays great, and is the best digital representation of baseball I've ever played. I know The Show has a great reputation, and I'm not surprised, but it is nice to experience it for myself.

I just finished my first game with quick counts. I don't think I'm going back. I drew a few walks, threw a couple more, and played a full game in 45 minutes instead of an hour and 15.

In my opinion, the only issue is the substandard commentary. I turned off Lyons and Karros — who offer little and sound too similar, for my tastes — and have discovered Vasgersian only says one or two things per game that plays off the other announcers. That's really inexcusable. Thankfully, he's okay on his own, if a little repetitive.

Regardless, I'm thrilled this game is selling well. Microsoft disappointed me with its policies surrounding the One when it was first announced (that's why I preordered a PS4 for launch, well before Microsoft reversed course). I was sad to "lose" Forza but knew I was gaining The Show — and it's a trade I am very, very happy to have made.

Back to the game!

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
So this just started happening, but now it seems like every time I boot up MLB after turning on my ps4, it gets stuck at a black screen immediately before the title screen even loads. I have to close the app, submit an error report, and then the next time(s) I launch it it works fine.

Anyone else experience this?
Has to do with you online connection/ PSN being screwed up
If you turn of internet the game doesn't do the black screen thing. No idea why it's tied to being online though.

My pitching staff took a beating in a 3 game series at Coors. Lost the first two games 3-9 and 5-7 respectively and took the finale in a 7-6 seesaw battle.
Have to send a couple of relievers down and DFA'd my long man. I think I gave up 11 homers in those 3 games.

Damn I have to figure out these bullpen woes. I just can't seem to have an all around solid game. I'm using classic? pitching or whatever the game defaulted to me on beginner. It's now on dynamic difficulty but I have not really officially got the hang of pitching. Do I want to hear the vibration or does that mean I'm going to overthrow.

Do I press the button lightly or harder?
Why are my pitches so off base sometimes?
It also doesn't help I can't hit for beans. Well I can hit but not precise enough.

Tigers don't have much speed either.

Damn I have to figure out these bullpen woes. I just can't seem to have an all around solid game.

Funfact: the Tigers' bullpen is the team's weakness. Consider upgrading if you're not into keeping the roster in tune with real life.

Do I want to hear the vibration or does that mean I'm going to overthrow.

The sweet spot is the vibration. You want to hold until the vibration, then release during the vibration. The thing is, where/when the vibration occurs is both dynamic (varying based on how much confidence the pitcher has with that pitch) and variable based on the pitcher's delivery. (Some deliveries, particularly from the stretch, don't even have a vibration-point.) Also, sometimes just tapping is okay. You don't necessarily want to hold-until-vibration on every pitch. Tapping in this context would be "taking a little off the fastball" for instance, where you're aiming for 89mph instead of the 94mph a hold would get you or whatever.

Do I press the button lightly or harder?

I don't think the DS4's buttons are pressure sensitive anymore; it's all timing-based; tap vs. hold and the variances in between.

Why are my pitches so off base sometimes?

Low pitch confidence, low pitcher confidence overall, poor execution of the pitch (e.g., you tapped when a hold might've worked better - it's all about feel), and ratings (clutch rating, control rating, individual control rating for specific pitches etc.) can all cause this.

It also doesn't help I can't hit for beans. Well I can hit but not precise enough.

So long as you're in that .220 to .250 range (hopefully you are lol) you're not doing that bad. Stick with it, you'll have good games and bad even when you're really good. Tis baseball.

Tigers don't have much speed either.
This is mostly true but Davis is one of the fastest players in the league, and then guys like Kinsler, Kelly, Jackson, and maybe even Castellanos should be able to push the envelope a little. They're not as slow as they've been the last 3-4 years anyway.

Bebpo

Banned
Picked this up for PS4 and tried it out due to all of the good reviews and PS4 drought. Last baseball game I played was probably on Saturn with the World Series Baseball franchise.

First impressions are kind of wonky:

1. Loading holy shit this takes forever. Worst loading I've seen on PS4!

2. The cuts between 60fps gameplay to suddenly close-up at 15fps back and forth drives me mad. Why is the framerate so awful during close-ups? I picked up the game because I heard it was 1080p/60fps. I was expecting smooth 60fps throughout so the <30fps cutscenes all the time are really really jarring. Very unhappy with this.

3. Plays pretty well! I expected it to be really difficult since I haven't played in forever and my experience of trying to get back into NBA2K14 was painful, but on beginner this is pretty arcade style and fun. Enjoying it!

4. But also the game seems to auto-play itself a lot to the point where I feel like I'm not even playing sometimes? Like when there's a pop up the fielders move on their own and catch the ball. Part of the fun of old baseball games was actually catching balls. Can you do manual fielding?

5. And are there any options to batting besides just hitting swing and guessing the pitch zone?

Thanks! Seems good other than the framerate and loading.

A-V-B

Picked this up for PS4 and tried it out due to all of the good reviews and PS4 drought. Last baseball game I played was probably on Saturn with the World Series Baseball franchise.

First impressions are kind of wonky:

1. Loading holy shit this takes forever. Worst loading I've seen on PS4!

2. The cuts between 60fps gameplay to suddenly close-up at 15fps back and forth drives me mad. Why is the framerate so awful during close-ups? I picked up the game because I heard it was 1080p/60fps. I was expecting smooth 60fps throughout so the <30fps cutscenes all the time are really really jarring. Very unhappy with this.

3. Plays pretty well! I expected it to be really difficult since I haven't played in forever and my experience of trying to get back into NBA2K14 was painful, but on beginner this is pretty arcade style and fun. Enjoying it!

4. But also the game seems to auto-play itself a lot to the point where I feel like I'm not even playing sometimes? Like when there's a pop up the fielders move on their own and catch the ball. Part of the fun of old baseball games was actually catching balls. Can you do manual fielding?

5. And are there any options to batting besides just hitting swing and guessing the pitch zone?

Thanks! Seems good other than the framerate and loading.

Beginner mode is beginner mode. Lots of stuff automatically plays itself, pitching easier, hitting easier.

Beginner mode is beginner mode. Lots of stuff automatically plays itself, pitching easier, hitting easier.

Yeah but he's probably talking about how when fielding, after you get into the "catch region" the game mostly takes over. This happens on all difficulty levels, and there's no true "manual" fielding, only "assisted." To that point, the game has pretty much always done that. Fans of the series don't pay it much mind, basically because everything else is so good.

My fielding is still on auto but I don't mind.

Seems like the CPU makes one or two fielding errors a game tho.

Anyways I'm going to take these new pitching tips and see how I do.

The Tigers bullpen is rough. I'm struggling with Verlander for some reason o_o

Also I won a game with Phil Coke...

How the fuck.

Has to do with you online connection/ PSN being screwed up
If you turn of internet the game doesn't do the black screen thing. No idea why it's tied to being online though.

Yeah I noticed it's fine today, and psn was doing maintenance yesterday when I was having the problem. Really strange...

llamarawk

So what's the verdict? I assume not quite up to par with NBA2k14 PS4, but better than Madden 2014 PS4?

Is there a myplayer type mode?

Thanks for the tips.

No problem. Two other things I wanted to throw in: fatigue also effects control; and then when it comes to classic pitching's "sweet spot," sometimes it feels like the "actual" sweet spot is tiny, tiny window before the vibration.

Like, have you seen the meter?

mqb1AJ0.jpg

Theoretically the vibration itself represents the colored area in the meter; the best spot is the tiny little green line (the spot just as the vibration starts); during the vibration more generally is the yellow and red area; past the vibration would be like topping off the meter and then it falling back down (i.e., if you hold past the vibration, that's definitely too long).

Good luck man. I love classic pitching. Dat clean HUD.

So what's the verdict? I assume not quite up to par with NBA2k14 PS4, but better than Madden 2014 PS4

With 2K's VC bullshit and always online bigger bullshit, I'm not sure I can give that game the crown. This is the purer experience if not the better one. Yes better than Madden. Basically your assumptions are correct though. It's like a solid 8 or 8.5 in objective terms I reckon.

sqwarlock

Tried some remote play last night, and the small amount of latency that's present really through off my hitting (using pure analog, no zone). Probably won't use the feature anymore, but I may pick up the Vita version when it gets cheaper.

Is there a way to change umpiring decision like with MLB 12?

Gameplay Options - General. Both Basic and Advanced is where all the umpire stuff is.

Just stole three bases in one game - including third! - with Rajai Davis. Had never stolen third before I don't think. If I did it was like once three years ago or something, has always been hard. I want moar.

edit: and OMG! Just remembered, ya know what else I did for the first time? Fucking threw out a runner at 1st with the catcher on a snap-throw man! FUCK YES. Not only had I never done that, I think I remember Ramone saying it was literally impossible. SO GLAD it's not anymore.

Anybody run into a glitch where the whole screen got a yellow filter over it essentially? Or textures not loading and instead a bunch of black dots everywhere? I've had this happen on a separate occasion but it worried me.

Everything else on my PS4 seems to be working fine but just wonder if I'm alone.

Trigonx

Anybody run into a glitch where the whole screen got a yellow filter over it essentially? Or textures not loading and instead a bunch of black dots everywhere? I've had this happen on a separate occasion but it worried me.

Everything else on my PS4 seems to be working fine but just wonder if I'm alone.

I've had the glitch where there is black dots everywhere, and the character models are blacked out. Only had it happen once though, expecting to see it again.

Eirulan

One question:

I'm really tempted to buy this game - but I'm both a complete noob with the series (never played a title before) and with the sport itself (I'm from germany and baseball is non-existent here...).
So, what do you think, is this game playable, understandable and beatable (also in terms of trophies) for a person like me? I'm willing to go through a steep learning curve, so this should be no problem.
Also, are there some videos or websites that teach the basic rules?

Kind regards

Xater

One question:

I'm really tempted to buy this game - but I'm both a complete noob with the series (never played a title before) and with the sport itself (I'm from germany and baseball is non-existent here...).
So, what do you think, is this game playable, understandable and beatable (also in terms of trophies) for a person like me? I'm willing to go through a steep learning curve, so this should be no problem.

Kind regards

I am German as well the short answer is yes. Reading the rules of baseball on Wikipedia is more than enough. You'll get it once you play it. It's way simpler than playing Madden for example. The only hard part is getting used to recognizing pitches, but that comes with more play time.

Eirulan

I am German as well the short answer is yes. Reading the rules of baseball on Wikipedia is more than enough. You'll get it once you play it. It's way simpler than playing Madden for example. The only hard part is getting used to recognizing pitches, but that comes with more play time.

Okay thanks a lot :)
I had no problems playing Madden (11), besides not being familiar with american football too (I'm watching superbowl once a year, that's it). I thought Madden was really easy to learn.
If MLB is even more easy to learn, I think I'll give it a try.

FireCloud

One question:

. . .

So, what do you think, is this game playable, understandable and beatable (also in terms of trophies) for a person like me?

. . .

I wouldn't be expecting to get a lot of easy trophies from MLB14 if I was you. Based on the rarity of the trophies that have been given out so far, only a couple are easily obtainable. The vast majority are considered ultra rare.

MY SS in RTTS is being used as a DH. This is making me really angry. I want to field as well....

My LF was used as a DH during the first several games I elected to play. Then it switched to fielding without any sort of notification (or at least any that I could tell). I don't know if it was the number of games or my performance in the games that caused the switch.

Keep at it, I think eventually your SS will field as well.

Xater

I wouldn't be expecting to get a lot of easy trophies from MLB14 if I was you. Based on the rarity of the trophies that have been given out so far, only a couple are easily obtainable. The vast majority are considered ultra rare.

That's probably also because the trophy design is pretty dumb.

NHale

One question:

Kind regards

I'm from Portugal and started watching baseball/play The Show around 2005 and to me it didn't took a lot of time until I became familiar with both. But if you learned to play Madden, you are going to learn to play MLB The Show as well because rules are definitely easier to understand. The game itself have a much steeper learning curve but sliders and beginner mode definitely helps with that.

Regarding trophies, they are easy if you tweak the settings and rosters. Follow a trophy guide and someone familiar with the series can get the platinum in less than 10 hours.

But for someone new to the series/baseball it's not going to be as easy. Worry first about learning the game, controls and rules and then focus on trophies unless you want to get frustrated about not being able to get a cycle via manual baserunning for example.

Yaari

Considering picking this up due to the positive reviews I'm reading, and it is reasonably priced digitally.

Just wondering though, is the long loading times anything that is possible to be resolved with a patch. I'm not too informed on the subject, so I have no idea.

The in-game presentation in the offline franchise mode holds what I have always dreamed of: An active out-of-town scoreboard. Some of the old Maddens used to give you score updates at halftime, and I think some of the NHL 90s used to show highlights of other games,but all that seemed to disappear from sports games forever until now (or whenever The Show started doing this - I'm a couple years behind).

There is a complete in-game scroll at the bottom of the screen with active stats from the other games. The games are paced so they feel like they're moving along at the same clip as your game (except for earlier games that are finished and West Coast games yet to start of course), and the physical out-of-town scoreboards in the stadiums are updated to match. It really feels authentic and makes you feel like all of the other teams and players exist on days that you're not playing them.

Pitching has improved. Had solid games with Scherzer and Verlander...but still got swept by the Red Sox.. then again, it's the Red Sox.

Trying to completely stop using Guess Pitch which I did not use for most of the Sox series. I think I'm getting better at seeing where the pitch lands and hitting it but damn, I just cannot get the hitting game going.

Still love the game but dropping three straight games sucks lol but its baseball and I'm only in June so I got plenty of time to get hot.

My bullpen sucks ass. I've had it with this shit. Traded Kenley Jansen(3 K/9 for me), Rex Brothers(more BB than IP) and DFA'd Ottavino. It can only get better from here.

I hate hate hate losing 2-1 on a walkoff home run.

Joe Nathan blew it once again.

Then again I brought him in the 11th inning when he's a closer. Totally out of his element, should have realized.

Split a four game series with the White Sox, had two majorly productive hitting games.

A 6-3 win by Sanchez and a 7-0 complete game shutout from red hot Verlander.

This game is addicting.

Xater

So my RTTS character was actually used as a SS in the USA vs the World game. Now I am back to being the DH....ugh....

Xater

Ask for a trade? Or more playing time? It usually pops up under interactions

I should probably ask for a trade huh? I am already used what feels like every inning. I was just so happy to go to the Yankees. :(

I think the trade window is closed right now. Does this mean I have to wait until the season ends?

mrpookles

I love this game. But, I haven't gorged on a Show since 12 on Vita... and I seriously can't bat in this one. My pitching is keeping me in games, but 11 games into my first season and my best performance is 4 runs.

Loving the dynamic difficulty, but I'm currently at Rookie -- for batting.

Copenap

So after buying the game from eu psn after the delayed release the install takes forever. And I don't mean the download, that went fine, but now all I can do is some exhibition matches cause after more than 3 hours the install progress is only at 54%. What kind of shit is this? And why doesn't the game do this stupid install automatically after finishing the download? No, I have to manually boot up the game and afaik even have the game running during the bazillion hours install. Terrible.

Top Bottom