• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 14: The Show |OT| ?

Quick

Banned
Playing The Show at 60 FPS is truly the best thing ever for this game. I can't believe how much smoother it plays. I've been playing the show every year since it came to ps3 and man after just 5 innings of 60 fps baseball I know I could never go back.

Gonna be hard playing on vita again now.

I'm constantly on the move, so the Vita is handy for keeping my RTTS going.

I know what you mean though. I just went through a game, and DAMN.

Lrrr

mine didn't take very long either but i think its more of setting the expectation (as it has been in all other games) that when the "install" is done on the main OS menu you can start the game. but HERE, you get done with that, then start the game and there is a 300 mb update, THEN you get into the main menu and its like oh guess what there's another 30 gb or whatever to install so you have to wait!

The last update literally only took seconds for me.

How newbie friendly is this game? I'm a very casual mlb fan.

As friendly as you want it to be. Ex: My first game I lost 3-0 and only got one hit the entire time (five innings only). I won the second game 7-0 (five innings) using quick counts and that time, it was really easy. I think the computer sense that I sucked at hitting and adjusted the difficulty for me. Furthermore, I was able to draw walks and get runners on base using "quick counts" since you'll sometimes start off with a 3-1 or 3-0 advantage.

lol wtf happened there crimson? i was waving my guy around 3rd and then shit started wonking out and the next thing i know there is somehow another out?

You talking about on the play you scored that run? The runner behind ran to 3rd after he scored and got out. The play after was a line out to first.

You talking about on the play you scored that run? The runner behind ran to 3rd after he scored and got out. The play after was a line out to first.

lol what happened on my screen is everyone stopped moving as my guy rounded 3rd and it just showed your guy in the outfield standing there. then when it showed the baserunners it showed my dot going off the screen. next thing is its 2-1 and i have 2 outs

lol what happened on my screen is everyone stopped moving as my guy rounded 3rd and it just showed your guy in the outfield standing there. then when it showed the baserunners it showed my dot going off the screen. next thing is its 2-1 and i have 2 outs

Lol that's crazy!

Edit: can't believe my starting pitcher got hurt

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
So this happened to me:

iGeUsm9oeovHq.gif

Played one full 9 inning game so far. That was fun. I've got to get the hitting down in terms of timing and hitting power levels. Based on the layout I was only using the standard swing, not power and was able to hit 2 homers in Fenway.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
That's amazing!

I was wondering something stupid...how do you raise the camera in replay? I can zoom, move around, everything...but I can't get the camera higher up. Am I stupid?

I'm not sure if you can, maybe the best you can do is zoom out and rotate up and down. I'm not on at the moment, so I don't know for sure.

akileese

by tweaking some settings it can be easy to play with

i don't really remember the names but there is an option to make batting just 1 button only

same with pitching

I found pitching to be okay even as someone who was rusty. Hitting in the show has never been newbie friendly. It feels a lot harder at 60 FPS. I think I just need to take about 1000 pitches of BP to get used to the speed.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
That's actually pretty cool. Didn't know that it had that kind of collision detection...I would have assumed the ball would have just clipped through the player.

Well, the balls deflect off the pitcher all the time, so, this makes sense. It's just hilarious. Question is, who gets the error.

Rbk_3

Playing The Show at 60 FPS is truly the best thing ever for this game. I can't believe how much smoother it plays. I've been playing the show every year since it came to ps3 and man after just 5 innings of 60 fps baseball I know I could never go back.

Gonna be hard playing on vita again now.

Except it has been 60fps on the PS3 since 2008.

macewank

been trying to download it for 2 hours off PSN.. keep getting NW-31194-8 errors between 70-90%

pissin me right off! i want to play some baseball!!!!

Except it has been 60fps on the PS3 since 2008.

not at 1080p it hasn't. that is why the game on ps3 suggested you set your TV resolution to 720p

anyhow, great game crimson. there was some weirdness on my end. the afforementioned rounding 3rd play early, then there were a couple more where what was happening on screen didn't make sense. i think the game recognized the button presses correctly and the correct play happens, but what shows on screen doesn't look right

not at 1080p it hasn't. that is why the game on ps3 suggested you set your TV resolution to 720p

anyhow, great game crimson. there was some weirdness on my end. the afforementioned rounding 3rd play early, then there were a couple more where what was happening on screen didn't make sense. i think the game recognized the button presses correctly and the correct play happens, but what shows on screen doesn't look right

You too man. I messed up and didn't tag first on that one play. Some crazy stuff was happening too. That bunt showed that I scored on my screen and then it showed I still had 2 runs and another out lol.

You too man. I messed up and didn't tag first on that one play. Some crazy stuff was happening too. That bunt showed that I scored on my screen and then it showed I still had 2 runs and another out lol.

yeah i thought you scored and the next thing it flashes still 2-2. it was still definitely playable and it was only a few plays where that happened. the funny thing is i went to look at plays of the game, and it had my early weird play where i was rounding 3rd.... and it looked the same during the replay! the ball rolls into the outfield past your guy and your guy just stops and stands there. then the replay ended

you did get jobbed with your pitcher suffering that fluke injury in the 1st. can't believe i didn't take better advantage of that, you did pretty well to hold it together when you get dealt a crap hand like that.

that one pitcher on the A's stuff is so fucking slow! i feel like it threw you off quite a bit with the 78 mph stuff and he has 5 pitches to work with. he's pretty sweet but i expect after a few innings people will get a read on his pitches and send some yard

leca

How do you fix the overscan issues in this game?

That was one of the first things I noticed when I fired it up! The game is running at 1080p on my display, navigating back to the PS menu it's all fine. But once i'm in the game in any way...the black border is surrounding everything.

Starting to drive me a little crazy! Couldn't find anything in the game menu to adjust the black border.

Lrrr

Carlos Beltran makes a nice catch against the right field wall.
I enter replay mode and attempt to take a photo.
I struggle to find the right angle so I start swinging the camera around.
I somehow end up around his buttocks.
I gaze upon the amazing uniform detail so I zoom in for a closer look.
I accidentally "tear" through the graphics of his left buttock.
I was greeted by the following:

ibnk1VisonAAQe.jpg

ibnk1VisonAAQe.jpg

lol nice

yeah i thought you scored and the next thing it flashes still 2-2. it was still definitely playable and it was only a few plays where that happened. the funny thing is i went to look at plays of the game, and it had my early weird play where i was rounding 3rd.... and it looked the same during the replay! the ball rolls into the outfield past your guy and your guy just stops and stands there. then the replay ended

you did get jobbed with your pitcher suffering that fluke injury in the 1st. can't believe i didn't take better advantage of that, you did pretty well to hold it together when you get dealt a crap hand like that.

that one pitcher on the A's stuff is so fucking slow! i feel like it threw you off quite a bit with the 78 mph stuff and he has 5 pitches to work with. he's pretty sweet but i expect after a few innings people will get a read on his pitches and send some yard

Lol that bunt was kinda like that too he just stood there with the ball. It's probably has to do with lag or something.

Yea he did throw me off I hate that slow shit! But it seems like the opposite happened with me. In the early innings it I was hitting a lot better than the rest of the game I think.

We should have a rematch sometime.

sangreal

That was one of the first things I noticed when I fired it up! The game is running at 1080p on my display, navigating back to the PS menu it's all fine. But once i'm in the game in any way...the black border is surrounding everything.

Starting to drive me a little crazy! Couldn't find anything in the game menu to adjust the black border.

Ps4 display area settings then reboot the game

Lol that bunt was kinda like that too he just stood there with the ball. It's probably has to do with lag or something.

Yea he did throw me off I hate that slow shit! But it seems like the opposite happened with me. In the early innings it I was hitting a lot better than the rest of the game I think.

We should have a rematch sometime.

anytime broham! drop by the league thread if you're interested in playing with us, i'm sure we would have a spot for you if we go through with the league (part of the reason i'm testing against different people with different connection methods)

HiiiLife

Luckily that's only once.

Loading the actual games is just as bad

Wow the framerate seems like hot garbage too -- hope it's just because I'm still installing

Oh boy, I'm in for a doozy. Lol. And I wasn't aware the game would continue "installing" while you actually play, either. So typical haha. Its alright, I'll just let it install and go grab a bite or something.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

ibnk1VisonAAQe.jpg

I can see forever.

My copy will arrive tomorrow. Can't wait.

Top Bottom