• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2015 Regular Season |OT2| NES Baseball, Best Baseball

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Then why you sweep them last weekend if you guys were bros? Give them one game. Maybe two.

A's are like your little bro. You want to destroy him any chance you got and tell him what location he can move to and not...but when your not in direct competition with him you want your lil bro to do well.

Doyers

OlWzcHF.gif

Enron

Banned
Talking Chop is an absolute cesspool tonight. Are Braves fans really this stupid?

Peraza's going to be real handy with the bat, but his on-base skills suck and his speed will have dried up by the time he's Olivera's age. Olivera may have never seen MLB pitching, but neither has Peraza really. Olivera's OBP, power are far better than Peraza's will ever be.

You show up on a mlb top 50 prospect list, and all of a sudden a fanbase thinks the guy is a sure-fire 10 time all-star future HOFer. Alex Wood isn't untouchable-good either - he's a solid #2 with some concerns. Luis Avilan sucks ass. Who cares about him.

Braves need bats. They don't have anyone in the high minors on the INF worth a shit other than Peraza, and he's got some holes in his game. Olivera can come in right now, hold down 2nd or 3rd and hit well for the next 3 or 4 years. He cost you a #2/3 starter, a MAYBE at 2nd, and two relievers who are expendable.

Braves fans are kind of ridiculous. They are acting like the Braves just traded Maddux for Claudell Washington.

Talking Chop is an absolute cesspool tonight. Are Braves fans really this stupid?

Peraza's going to be real handy with the bat, but his on-base skills suck and his speed will have dried up by the time he's Olivera's age. Olivera may have never seen MLB pitching, but neither has Peraza really. Olivera's OBP, power are far better than Peraza's will ever be.

You show up on a mlb top 50 prospect list, and all of a sudden a fanbase thinks the guy is a sure-fire 10 time all-star future HOFer. Alex Wood isn't untouchable-good either - he's a solid #2 with some concerns. Luis Avilan sucks ass. Who cares about him.

Braves need bats. They don't have anyone in the high minors on the INF worth a shit other than Peraza, and he's got some holes in his game. Olivera can come in right now, hold down 2nd or 3rd and hit well for the next 3 or 4 years. He cost you a #2/3 starter, a MAYBE at 2nd, and two relievers who are expendable.

Braves fans are kind of ridiculous. They are acting like the Braves just traded Maddux for Claudell Washington.

Doesn't every fanbase over value their team's prospects? Jays fans sure do, every 1st round draft pick is going to be Roy Halladay

TraBuch

Banned

I really don't understand how you're so confident that Olivera will be a good hitter while Peraza is just a maybe. They're both maybes. Peraza just happens to have an elite tool that you can't teach.

A solid number 2 with four years of control, a top 50 prospect, and two MLB relief pitchers (One of which is good) should get you more than a 30 year old 3B with zero MLB experience and a bum elbow and a nobody prospect.

Enron

Banned
I really don't understand how you're so confident that Olivera will be a good hitter while Peraza is just a maybe. They're both maybes. Peraza just happens to have an elite tool that you can't teach.

A solid number 2 with four years of control, a top 50 prospect, and two MLB relief pitchers (One of which is good) should get you more than a 30 year old 3B with zero MLB experience and a bum elbow and a nobody prospect.

Peraza is a fast, weak hitter who if he's not hitting, he can't get on base. He's super-fast.
Olivera may be 30, but he's got a great track record in Cuba and he's slaughtered every level of the minors so far in about 20 games. Dude is major league ready. You can try and discount it all you want, but when you are that successful in cuba, have major league scouts all saying this dude will hit from day 1, and is already burning through the minors - this dude is a better hitter than Peraza. Period. His bust potential is significantly lower.

Stop acting like Wood is Maddux, Glavine, or Smoltz. He's a #2 with some worrisome signs, and his position is the one the Braves are stocked the best at in the minors. If you have to deal, do so from a position of strength.

The Braves have precious few bats in the system. They have a limited budget until the new park revenue starts rolling in because Liberty Media is cheap. Where the hell do you think hitters are going to come from? Spring up magically from the barren farm? They are going to have to get them in Free Agency, where a bat like Olivera's would cost you 11m or more. They get him for right around 5 per.

Fans too often think a trade is horrible if its not overwhelmingly in their favor.

The Braves end up with a 2nd/3rd baseman who is in all likelihood, going to hit like a top-10 at his position. He's far more of a sure thing than Peraza is. Yeah it sucks you have to give up a young good pitcher but you know what? To get something of value, you'll have to give something of value. Jim Johnson is on a 1-year deal. at best, you might get a mid-level prospect for him. Definitely not going to get an organizational top 10 for him. Luis Avilan is fucking garbage.

I am perfectly fine with the return for this deal. It addresses a need that the braves don't have an answer for on the farm.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Peraza is a fast, weak hitter who if he's not hitting, he can't get on base. He's super-fast.
Olivera may be 30, but he's got a great track record in Cuba and he's slaughtered every level of the minors so far in about 20 games. Dude is major league ready. You can try and discount it all you want, but when you are that successful in cuba, have major league scouts all saying this dude will hit from day 1, and is already burning through the minors - this dude is a better hitter than Peraza. Period. His bust potential is significantly lower.

Stop acting like Wood is Maddux, Glavine, or Smoltz. He's a #2 with some worrisome signs, and his position is the one the Braves are stocked the best at in the minors. If you have to deal, do so from a position of strength.

The Braves have precious few bats in the system. They have a limited budget until the new park revenue starts rolling in because Liberty Media is cheap. Where the hell do you think hitters are going to come from? Spring up magically from the barren farm? They are going to have to get them in Free Agency, where a bat like Olivera's would cost you 11m or more. They get him for right around 5 per.

Fans too often think a trade is horrible if its not overwhelmingly in their favor.

The Braves end up with a 2nd/3rd baseman who is in all likelihood, going to hit like a top-10 at his position. He's far more of a sure thing than Peraza is. Yeah it sucks you have to give up a young good pitcher but you know what? To get something of value, you'll have to give something of value. Jim Johnson is on a 1-year deal. at best, you might get a mid-level prospect for him. Definitely not going to get an organizational top 10 for him. Luis Avilan is fucking garbage.

I am perfectly fine with the return for this deal. It addresses a need that the braves don't have an answer for on the farm.

I think your (royal you) view on the trade at this stage comes down largely to your opinion on Olivera. For me, between his age, health record, lack of major league exposure, and defensive limitations, plus the 6-year commitment, I'm just really weary of acquiring him. I'm fine with trading Wood and Peraza (especially Peraza), don't give two shits about Avilan, but I would have liked to have gotten someone with a higher floor than Olivera. His upside is nice, but his expected value isn't actually that great and if his defense sucks where are you going to play him? At least he's cheap so they can still build around him.

I just really don't want them to be in a position where it's 2017 and Olivera has already fallen off, Dan Uggla style.

Dodgers get:
-- LHP Luis Avilan
-- RHP Jim Johnson
-- RHP Mat Latos
-- OF Michael Morse
-- LHP Alex Wood
-- 2B Jose Peraza (minors)

Braves get:
-- LHP Paco Rodriguez
-- RHP Zachary Bird (minors)
-- 3B Hector Olivera (minors)
-- 2016 Competitive Balance Round A pick (#35 overall)

Marlins get:
-- RHB Victor Araujo (minors)
-- RHP Jeff Brigham (minors)
-- RHP Kevin Guzman (minors)

still don't get what the dodgers are gonna do with morse.. unless they just had to take it as part of a salary dump

scott van slyke can do everything he does

read that the tigers wanted the dodgers 2014 pick grant holmes and that they tried to trade for alex wood last year

if they go for price i guess they let greinke walk.. but if they kept wood and signed price in the offseason that could be pretty good too

Malvingt2

Dodgers get:
-- LHP Luis Avilan
-- RHP Jim Johnson
-- RHP Mat Latos
-- OF Michael Morse
-- LHP Alex Wood
-- 2B Jose Peraza (minors)

Braves get:
-- LHP Paco Rodriguez
-- RHP Zachary Bird (minors)
-- 3B Hector Olivera (minors)
-- 2016 Competitive Balance Round A pick (#35 overall)

Marlins get:
-- RHB Victor Araujo (minors)
-- RHP Jeff Brigham (minors)
-- RHP Kevin Guzman (minors)

How much money is LA eating from Olivera contract?

SaintR

Would have loved to see the Mets pull off the trade to bring back Gomez but F it man gotta move on. Sandy's at least showing he's working the phones and something else might get done by Friday.

BumRush

If he stays I hope wilmer tears the fucking cover off the ball now. As a Mets fan, I loved seeing him emotional when he thought it was his last inning.

tim1138

Hamels, Jake Diekman, and $9.5MM to the Rangers for Matt Harrison, Jake Thompson, Alec Asher, Jerad Eickhoff, Jorge Alfaro, and Nick Williams

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
The only thing I am worried about is Oliveira's age. He will be more productive than peraza. (Which I never really cared for anyway.). Dodgers are eating the 28 mil signing bonus so Oliveira's contract is fairly cheap. But hopefully he doesn't become an old man too quickly. Losing Johnson and Avilan, meh. And of course the braves had to trade for an injured pitcher, Paco should be back next year, great arm to have in the pen. And I guess the 35th pick is nice. Still hate to lose Wood though, but the braves have the pitching depth.

If only they could have included Chris Johnson.

Edit2: forgot about that other arm the braves are getting back, Zach or whatever. If he turns out to be good then I'd call this a win.

Edit:

Olivera, 30, will receive a whopping $28 million signing bonus as part of the contract, paid out in installments of $12 million within five days of approval from the commissioner's office, $7.5 million by Aug. 1, 2015 and $8.5 million by Dec. 31, 2015.

The annual payouts are as follows:

2015: $2 million
2016: $4 million
2017: $6 million
2018: $6.5 million
2019: $7.5 million
2020: $8.5 million

Olivera can become a free agent at the end of his contract. There is also a clause that deals with Olivera's right elbow, which was previously in question. Per the AP:

Los Angeles has a $1 million conditional option for 2021 that can be exercised if Olivera has Tommy John surgery on his right elbow or has right elbow surgery attributable to an ulnar collateral ligament injury that causes him to be on the disabled list for more than 100 days during any one-year span.

http://www.truebluela.com/2015/5/19/8627311/hector-olivera-contract-details-dodgers

Cardinals are reportedly interested in Brandon Moss

Would much rather have Santana if we're getting a Cleveland 1B

Edit: whoops it's official I guess, this trade sucks

I mean the Cardinals have an obscene number of pitching prospects at Kaminsky's level (probably 2-4 guys who should be at AA now instead of high A), but he was probably the second best one behind Reyes

I'd feel better if Brandon Moss didn't suck

Top Bottom