• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talon

Cristhian Martinez just got arrested for DUI. It's like Derek Lowe never left!
Rafael Furcal -> Lowe -> Cristian Martinez

Let the circle be unbroken

Speaking of being terrible human beings, Atlanta's the only city in the league that would let McDowell get away with that shit from last year. :jnc

Talon

This is random, but I got nostalgic about the Braves when a friend reminded me that it's been a decade since our last playoff series victory.

What I will remember from the last five season:

2011: Derek Lowe is a terrible human being.
2010: That was strike three in the bottom of the ninth in Game 4 by Kimbrel on the outside part of the plate.
2009: Kelly Johnson cost us two games because he can't handle popups. Why isn't Martin Prado starting?
2008: I saw Smoltz's last pitch as a Brave live. Place was like a graveyard when everyone realized this was it.
2007: Andruw.

There's some rage about Scott Thorman and Troy Glaus sprinked about as well.

Parch

time to start the Morneau to the Blue Jays hype.
Probably a good time to deal steal Morneau.
Should be a law. Blue Jays should have dibs on Canadian players. Just like how the Montreal Canadiens had the monopoly on french hockey players way back in the day.

eznark

Banned
Probably a good time to deal steal Morneau.
Should be a law. Blue Jays should have dibs on Canadian players. Just like how the Montreal Canadiens had the monopoly on french hockey players way back in the day.

Only if the Blue Jays start being openly hostile to all things not French Canadian like Montreal.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
This is random, but I got nostalgic about the Braves when a friend reminded me that it's been a decade since our last playoff series victory.

What I will remember from the last five season:

2011: Derek Lowe is a terrible human being.
2010: That was strike three in the bottom of the ninth in Game 4 by Kimbrel on the outside part of the plate.
2009: Kelly Johnson cost us two games because he can't handle popups. Why isn't Martin Prado starting?
2008: I saw Smoltz's last pitch as a Brave live. Place was like a graveyard when everyone realized this was it.
2007: Andruw.

There's some rage about Scott Thorman and Troy Glaus sprinked about as well.
i blame chip carey.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So 22.5 AAV for 5 years, which is by far the most ever given to a right handed starting pitcher.

What the hell are the Phillies going to do with Hamels now?

Parch

Baseball contracts are just mind boggling. The salary structure has been screwed by the big spenders.

Rumors say the new Dodger ownership will be big spenders next year, maybe the biggest. Not a lot of top FA bats available but they can stock up on pitching. Big time starting pitching can be very attractive trade bait for that hitter they seek.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
$7.5 million dollar buyout? Are you fucking kidding me? Holy shit, I hope you die in a fire fueled by you ill-gotten gains Matt Cain.

dNtBF.jpg

Wonder what this means for Lincecum in 2 years. At least Zito's contract will be off the books then.

Macattk15

Hahaha.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/powerrankings

Mariners ahead of the Mets. Man the Mets suck. Yankees at #1 ... Oh ESPN ....

Tigers, Rangers, Yankees, Angels, Rays, Red Sox is how my top 6 would go.

NL SUX BTW.

Holy SHIT. Just found this article on ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/sto...rk-yankees-too-early-count-michael-pineda-out

"Jack Zduriencik, that slickster, pawned off his damaged goods on poor Brian Cashman in exchange for the next Johnny Bench. Pineda can barely crack 90 on the radar gun while Montero is hitting .306, with two homers and 11 RBIs this spring for the Mariners."

Do these people really get paid to write this shit?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
CSNBaggs
As for club option in 2018, it's $21m w/$7.5m buyout. It becomes player option if Cain meets IP marks. Cain still gets buyout if he declines

CSNBaggs
Cain has complete no-trade protection through entirety of the contract.

Lol.

eznark

Banned
MATT CAIN BISHES!

:)

Why on Earth would you possibly be happy about this contract? Hopefully he pitches well and you get a nice haul for the Long Haired Hippie next trade deadline.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, his agents are leaking a hometown discount story? Holy shit. That is the best. $7.5m buyout and a full no trade......hometown discount!

Parch

Yankees at #1 ... Oh ESPN ....

Tigers, Rangers, Yankees, Angels, Rays, Red Sox is how my top 6 would go.

NL SUX BTW.
You think Tigers should be #1? I can't see that happening.
NL Sux? You got that right.

Texas and Anaheim rated so high is bad for Blue Jay hopes. It's hard enough in the NL East without the chance of both wildcards coming out of that division. But that will make the Blue Jay accomplishment even better. Everybody loves the underdog which will make the Blue Jays adored throughout the world. /enddream

Wow. Franchises are handing out that dough while the Mets barely have any. At least they are nearing an extension with Niese.

Macattk15

You think Tigers should be #1? I can't see that happening.
NL Sux? You got that right.

Texas and Anaheim rated so high is bad for Blue Jay hopes. It's hard enough in the NL East without the chance of both wildcards coming out of that division. But that will make the Blue Jay accomplishment even better. Everybody loves the underdog which will make the Blue Jays adored throughout the world. /enddream

I only said Tigers first because of how EASILY they are going to DESTROY that division. They have to have like a 99% chance of making the playoffs as of today.

Texas is always scary ... especially in their stadium.
Angels. Well they added Pujols AND CJ Wilson .... Weaver, Haren, Wilson, Santana .... yikes. Pujols has had a monster spring also.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Fangraph's take on the Cain deal:

This is a good deal for both Cain and the Giants. Cain has financial security, a pitching coach with whom he works incredibly well, and a fan base in San Francisco that adores him. The Giants have locked-up one of the best right-handed starters in the game for the next five, maybe six, seasons. Sure, $21 million AAV is a lot of money. But the Giants had were looking at a lot of payroll flexibility after the 2014 season and a farm system light on starting pitching prospects.

Macattk15

Montero is catching Felix right now against the Rockies. He looks perfectly fine so far in the 2nd inning.

Felix spikes plenty of off-speed stuff. Not someone easy to catch at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom