• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB - Official 2012 Season Thread: Where Curt Schilling & Marlins will never find us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

Front page of ESPN:

mlb_season_preview_614.gif

wut

TheNatural

My Member!
Darn, Carpenter isn't pitching tonight. I was hoping to hear what he would cry about wrong with the stadium, mound, or fish tanks after the game.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
It's going to be so awesome when Detroit crumbles under the lofty expectations and what's probably going to be the worst defense in the AL.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
It's going to be so awesome when Detroit crumbles under the lofty expectations and what's probably going to be the worst defense in the AL.

Hit it to 3rd! It's going to be the best new sports tactic since Hack-A-Shaq

clemenx

Banned

It was the same when Detroid traded for Miggy. I remember the "best offense ever" articles lolol.

That said, everyone else on the central is too bad for them to fail spectacularly, I'd be surprised if they don't get the division.

It's gunna be the the Royals brah. Bruce Chen and co are going to make fools of these hitters. And if the opposing pitcher works up the courage to throw over the plate eric hosmer alex gordon gonna abuse them. make opposing fans wish they were listening to kevin millar and jewish friend speak on mlb network instead, break his back make you humble.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I don't really understand the Nationals and Marlins hype.

I would say the Phillies and Braves are still the class of that division. Both NL and AL east should be competitive none-the-less.

Likewise I'm hoping to see Kansas City make the jump to at least 500 this season. Their farm system is so loaded that this may be the year everyone looks back to when they started to really catch fire.
i agree that the braves and phillies are still the favorites but the Marlins and Nationals will both be good. Its still too early for the nationals though. I don't like their offense nearly as much as the marlins or braves who i think have the best two offenses at the moment (phillies with utley and howard are ahead of the braves though). And then of course there is the innings limits on the rotation. But that bullpen looks really good though.

But the marlins scare me. You have to remember that Josh Johnson only made 9 starts last season and Hanley was fucking awful (he had a wRC+ of 96 last season, his career mark is 134...). Both should be healthy and producing like they should this season. That added with the other additions to the team, namely reyes should make them competitive. Their bullpen is underrated as well. And while the rotation besides Johnson isn't lights out, they are dependable and durable.

clemenx

Banned
Marlins have a great rotation, if JJ is healthy and if Nolasco and Anibal keep improving even a bit a bit I'd put them over the Braves one. Buehrle will improve in the NL and Big Z as a 5th starter is a positive even if he murders someone in the clubhouse.

Reyes is a big gain, if Hanley returns to form they will contend I have no doubt.

Marlins have a great rotation, if JJ is healthy and if Nolasco and Anibal keep improving even a bit a bit I'd put them over the Braves one. Buehrle will improve in the NL and Big Z as a 5th starter is a positive even if he murders someone in the clubhouse.

Reyes is a big gain, if Hanley returns to form they will contend I have no doubt.
The insane rotation is why I have the Marlins over the Braves, not to mention they finally have a legit closer in Heath Bell. I've got to think Zambrano pitching in front of a raucous home crowd will at least turn back into 17+ win Zambrano, I mean he's the #4-#5 for cripes' sake.

Johnson
Buerhle
Nolasco
Sanchez
Zambrano

Jesus... imagine if Johnson turns back into 2010 Josh Johnson.

Windu

The insane rotation is why I have the Marlins over the Braves, not to mention they finally have a legit closer in Heath Bell. I've got to think Zambrano pitching in front of a raucous home crowd will at least turn back into 17+ win Zambrano, I mean he's the #4-#5 for cripes' sake.

Johnson
Buerhle
Nolasco
Sanchez
Zambrano

Jesus... imagine if Johnson turns back into 2010 Josh Johnson.
johnson was godly in 2011 before the injury as well, so it think its safe to assume he will be the same in 2012.

As a Marlins fan I'll say this, there is a lot of ifs surrounding this team and the most of them are injury related. Hanley moving to third should help him and won't have to dive to much on his shoulder.

I think Hanley is angry as many people think but it's at his angry is more towards critics thinking he can't play 3rd or he can't be what he use to be. If there is any anger towards Reyes he is hiding it well enough to win an Emmy. One of the things he has shown this offseason is focus towards getting better unlike previous seasons.

What I think many people don't realize is the effect the new ballpark will have on long term fatigue, South Florida weather is horrible in the summer especially as you get into August, Buck and Gaby have said they were usually changing jersey every 3 innings because they got soaked.

I really see Boni, Lomo, Gaby, Anibal, and Nolasco as the guys that have to step up in order for them to compete. Anibal started 6-1 last year than went 2-8, him and Nolasco can be pretty solid if they pitch consistently, if they do I think the Marlins have a top 5 rotation. I see Boni as the biggest question mark because you don't know if he can repeat what he did last year because of his track record.

BFIB

"April 4th 2012 marked down on a lot of Marlin's fans calendars. The Marlins now have a baseball only ballpark and it looks SPECTACULAR. They really pulled out all the stops"

Just say that in the most monotone, bored voice you can muster.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
"April 4th 2012 marked down on a lot of Marlin's fans calendars. The Marlins now have a baseball only ballpark and it looks SPECTACULAR. They really pulled out all the stops"

They have trouble selling out some Heat games, do they really expect people to go Marlins crazy?

BFIB

They have trouble selling out some Heat games, do they really expect people to go Marlins crazy?

I can't wait for late May when the initial excitement wears off and they have the usual 5K fans in the stadium. That's counting the fish among them.

Windu

from what i hear the location isn't too great and the parking and public transit situation is a mess, so similar to atlanta.

Shawn128

Quick question guys -- what are your thoughts on MLB.tv?

I'm moving to Washington, DC for a job, but I love watching me some Rays, Yankees, and Red Sox. I figure this would be the best way to go about it, but I dunno if you guys have some thoughts about it? Are the blackouts a big problem?

Bobby Valetine just finished his interview eith ESPN NY. Said he likes Aceves closing sum gms and said ge could careless about wat Schilling said. Sum Yank fans are pisses about the weekly segment lol

Windu

Quick question guys -- what are your thoughts on MLB.tv?

I'm moving to Washington, DC for a job, but I love watching me some Rays, Yankees, and Red Sox. I figure this would be the best way to go about it, but I dunno if you guys have some thoughts about it? Are the blackouts a big problem?
the dc area has blackouts for the nationals and orioles area i believe. If a team is playing one of those teams (home or away) then you will need tv access to watch it. There is a blackout Zip Code input box at the bottom of this page to see what you can't watch http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/index.jsp?product=mlbtv&affiliateId=MLBTVREDIRECT I have had success at various times with changing my IP through a proxy to get around it though, but its hit or miss.

other than that, its great. You need a consistent 3mbps connection and it looks like the premium sub to access it on other devices.

Windu

I hate that most of the opening day games are afternoon games instead of evening games. Screwing over the working man.
it wouldn't be opening day without day games. they should really do it on the weekend though. (but its all about money so the first games are guaranteed to sell out on weekdays anyway so why waste a weekend slot for them)

Shawn128

the dc area has blackouts for the nationals and orioles area i believe. If a team is playing one of those teams (home or away) then you will need tv access to watch it. There is a blackout Zip Code input box at the bottom of this page to see what you can't watch http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/index.jsp?product=mlbtv&affiliateId=MLBTVREDIRECT I have had success at various times with changing my IP through a proxy to get around it though, but its hit or miss.

other than that, its great. You need a consistent 3mbps connection and it looks like the premium sub to access it on other devices.

So am I correct in understanding that wherever you are, you cannot watch the home team of that area (home/away) on MLB.tv? Only on TV?

So while I'm in Tampa, it would be useless for me to get this to watch the Rays until I move to DC?

Windu

So am I correct in understanding that wherever you are, you cannot watch the home team of that area (home/away) on MLB.tv? Only on TV?

So while I'm in Tampa, it would be useless for me to get this to watch the Rays until I move to DC?
yep

it wouldn't be opening day without day games. they should really do it on the weekend though. (but its all about money so the first games are guaranteed to sell out on weekdays anyway so why waste a weekend slot for them)

Yeah, but wouldn't they pull in way more advertising revenue by having them during prime time? It's crazy because opening day's games are all around noon, but if you look at this saturday they are all evening games for big market teams. Shouldn't it be the other way around? Day games on weekends are what is best in life.

zulux21

Well you just can't watch the games live if you are in the blackout area. a few hours after the game is over it will hit the archive and from there you can watch the game... I know for most people that is pointless but when I worked late shifts it was great for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom