• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB should get rid of "balls".

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
There should only be hits and strikes

The most boring thing in the world is when a pitcher walks a player. It's cowardice.

Every pitch should hit-able. This would make games quicker and more exciting. A pitcher should be rotated if they throw too many balls

Season 5 No GIF by The Office

Jinzo Prime

I agree that four balls are too much. Two balls are just enough to manhandle.

But seriously players who walk shoud be given two bases.
That would stop pitchers from intentionally hitting people.

Jennings

I agree. Baseball needs something to speed it up and make it exciting. It's a total drag. If not balls maybe they could remove something else, like innings 4-9.

KrakenIPA

I like to relax and watch a ballgame from line-up announcement to finish. It hurts me a little bit whenever I hear someone say that they need to speed up the game. I guess I'm lucky to be able to pick up on some of the nuances of the game, because there is a ton of action from managers/coaches that even I don't catch (although it isn't really shown in a broadcast). Its fast enough (and really fun) when you know what to look for.

Actually being at the ballpark is even better.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
They need to remove an outfielder.

Make the bats even lamer so there's fewer hone runs.

2 outside per inning instead of 3.

Pitch clock like a play clock in the NFL.

I just fixed the sport of baseball.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Entitlement culture is what lead to OPs opinion, imo. No batter is entitled to get a hit, no pitcher should be forced to give a batter a hit.
There is plenty of space for them to operate within the hitbox, in order to generate strikes

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
N NecrosaroIII

You do realize that the entire point of balls or strikes is to be a chess game between the Pitcher and Batter right? The pitchers job is not to give the batter a ball to hit every throw. Their job is to get the batter to strike out. The existence of the "ball" rather than the regular strike allows them to play mind games with the batter and get them to swing at pitches they know they can't hit. They fluctuate between pitches inside and outside the box in order to achieve that. Some pitchers are better at this than others and some batters are better at noticing such trends than others.

Trying to say such a thing should be eliminated or that pitchers should be punished for throwing too many balls is completely ridiculous and just tells me you are not familiar with the specifics of baseball as a sport. It would be quicker yeah, but it would completely dilute the overall skill level of the game and turn every game into a glorified home run derby. Which would fucking suck.

Last edited:
When i was in high school, during a baseball game i told the female catcher

"my balls hit your strikezone. I pitch a perfect game with you catching my balls all the time."

The teacher and the entire class laughed. She complained to the teacher, but he was old and enjoying a moment of mirth.

To be fair, I also struck out three people.

KrakenIPA

When i was in high school, during a baseball game i told the female catcher

"my balls hit your strikezone. I pitch a perfect game with you catching my balls all the time."

The teacher and the entire class laughed. She complained to the teacher, but he was old and enjoying a moment of mirth.

To be fair, I also struck out three people.
Sooo, you didn't strike out 27 batters...or...

OP, I recommend that you watch tee-ball. I don't think there are any professional tee-ball leages, but there are plenty of youth leagues (7 and under) that would offer the white knuckle action that you seek.

Mistake

I think it’d be much more interesting if the pitcher tries hitting the batter, while the batter defends themself

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
That's... that's most of the game.

Lunarorbit

Oh good lord I thought this was about toxic Masculinity/patriarchy speak for a moment and someone wanted to call them 'orbs' or 'spheres' or something :p
Oh man I got a bad cause of blue spheres!

Ahh, I just got kicked in the orbs!

Now the counts full. 3 spheres and 2 strikes for Martinez.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Meme without telling me you meme.

Do Americans say 'bowls' or 'bahl'? I don't baseball, thanks for your consideration.

Danke.
De nada.

If you’ve never pitched or hit before you might think balls are somehow superfluous or something. That’s the only point I’m making. Sorry you don’t get how the game is played.

dr_octagon

Banned
De nada.

If you’ve never pitched or hit before you might think balls are somehow superfluous or something. That’s the only point I’m making. Sorry you don’t get how the game is played.
How do you baseball without the ball doe? Would you call it basebat?

MLB should not only change less, but go back to things they've discarded in order to "improve".

I know it's not a young person's game (sports in general, for that matter) and it will be in real trouble in not too long probably, but changing baseball to appeal to a demographic that was never going to be interested in the first place is just terrible. I love baseball the way it is (was).

wipeout364

I don’t understand how that would work? Is the hitter required to swing at every pitch no matter how terrible it is.

For the record it’s a terrible take, I rarely watch baseball but even I understand the pitcher/ batter showdown is the core of the game. If you don’t enjoy that aspect of the game; you should ask yourself why are you watching baseball?

SirTerry-T

OP, I don't mean to judge, chap but you bring to mind one of those fey types that would bowl under arm in a Cricket match....with a tennis ball.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol while i agree walks are boring, getting rid of balls is not the answer.

Just make it so that the walk costs more. Like 1 extra base per walk. Or better yet, just have every person on the bases move to the next base. So even if there are two empty bases and there is a guy on third base, you cant pitch around the hitter.

One reason why football and basketball are so popular is because at the end of the game, the best player on the pitch has the ball. it's him vs everyone else. why everyone pays to watch games. for superstars. In baseball, you just walk the best player on the team. cant do that if you want to grow the game. FORCE those matchups somehow. like if the other team brings in a relief pitcher then the hitting team should get to bring in their best hitter. regardless of whether or not they are due. I say, everytime a relief pitcher comes in, turn over the line up. this way the closer always faces the top 3 hitters in the team in the 9th inning. thats why people tune in to watch.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I see you don't understand the rules of baseball.

Top Bottom