• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB The Show 17' |OT| Now with less Papi!

abrack08

RTTS is my favorite mode. Regular franchise is too much of a grind, and DD just doesn't feel as good as MUT.

Is it baked in that you get drafted by the Yankees, or is that random?

I got drafted by the Cardinals, so it's not baked in. I have seen people mention that about the Yankees so it's possible they have a higher chance of drafting you based on your position or something, or maybe it's a glitch only effecting some people.

This is the worst Battle Royale loss I've ever had. Would have gone 9-0 if I would have just put this guy away. But now I sit at 8-1 and no Giambi/Posey/Niekro for me :( what a goddamn chokejob....felt like a gut punch. Every single big hit I gave up was a lefty vs lefty matchup too.

C7595EE0-A144-4659-87BD-11D7095A30D1_zpspz1klunk.jpg

Yes I am playing this shit mode again even after they screwed me multiple times...

My RTTS player is just killing it. Hitting on Legendary difficulty and I had 59 homers in AA before getting called up to the majors right before the All-Star break. 9 games on and I've already got 8 homers and 13 RBI's. One game I had 3 homers including a walk of 3 run one.

BIG_V-G-V

Banned
So apparently you get a baseball is flashback pack for getting 50 strikeouts with rookie archer after completing his program. I'm at 17 out of the 50 so I should get it in the next 2 games.

I should be 11-1 and one win from 12.
But nah some guy quit and I got the L AGAIN.

There's gotta be something they're doing to manipulate the results. This is too many times now (3) where I got a loss because they disconnect. I wonder what is happening on the other side.

GravyButt

Just realized I started my redsox franchise on actuall opening day and of course the newest rosters aren't out yet.

I got to restart don't I? Im only like 10 games in but I kind of liked where I was so far.

When do the new rosters come out?

FrankWza

Just realized I started my redsox franchise on actuall opening day and of course the newest rosters aren't out yet.

I got to restart don't I? Im only like 10 games in but I kind of liked where I was so far.

When do the new rosters come out?

As soon as they add that last hair to all the beards they need to complete they should get on it. Also deGroms hair is not flowing right.

Slizeezyc

I should be 11-1 and one win from 12.
But nah some guy quit and I got the L AGAIN.

There's gotta be something they're doing to manipulate the results. This is too many times now (3) where I got a loss because they disconnect. I wonder what is happening on the other side.

Bro why do you hate yourself so much you keep playing right now while ish is borked.

Saganator

Other than waiting for the rosters to come out, what are some starting out tips for a franchise, in particular the GM stuff? I want to take a crappy team like the Rockies and make them good. I kind of want to gut the team, what is the best way to go about that without throwing a bunch of money down the drain?

Other than waiting for the rosters to come out, what are some starting out tips for a franchise, in particular the GM stuff? I want to take a crappy team like the Rockies and make them good. I kind of want to gut the team, what is the best way to go about that without throwing a bunch of money down the drain?
There are ways to abuse franchise mode and make your team great for many years.
Your team will suck for a couple years but basically, just go to the top prospects list, find the teams with 3 or more, trade your highly rated players for 3 of them per all-star. Sign them the following off-season to 7 or 8 year contracts on the cheap (3-4 million per year).

Go for high contact players with good vision and pitchers with high h/9 ratings for success.
Don't fall in love with players and never pay more than 8 mil a year. When one of your players is on their final year of its contract, in the beginning of that season, go to the prospect list and trade with a team that has two of the prospects.

I've been doing this workaround for the last 5 show games and ALWAYS win 90 + games.

crpav

I just can't, and never could, play or enjoy online play. Yes I know the servers are not working the greatest but doesn't matter. Everyone I play destroys me(except 1 time) and I can't hit ANYTHING. I can tell when it's a lost cause also when you feel that lag when trying to pitch. Anyway, I'll stick to offline since online is not for me and no matter how down the pipe the pitch is and how well I feel I connected it's a weak pop out. Git gud I guess.

Is anyone else experiencing a strange HDR bug? When I start the game, the TV picks up the HDR signal, but the game looks "normal." If I go into the visual settings menu and change the HDR intensity slider, in either direction and then back out, HDR starts working just fine. In fact the image is tough to look at for a few seconds because of the brightness change. I just find it a little strange that even turning the intensity down engages HDR.

I just can't, and never could, play or enjoy online play. Yes I know the servers are not working the greatest but doesn't matter. Everyone I play destroys me(except 1 time) and I can't hit ANYTHING. I can tell when it's a lost cause also when you feel that lag when trying to pitch. Anyway, I'll stick to offline since online is not for me and no matter how down the pipe the pitch is and how well I feel I connected it's a weak pop out. Git gud I guess.

Is your tv set to game mode?

I thought the same as you last year, was really frustrated. I set the TV to game mode and it became so much better. Now, instead of losing all the games I only lose more than half!

Rommel

Called up after 2.5 years in the minors in my RTS game to Houston (after the Padres traded me). Started in LF and managed to hit a 3-run HR in my first AB.

They have a hard time making up their mind where to play me. Was a 3B coming up with a secondary of 1B. Got moved to 2B and then LF. We shall see what the future holds but damn the camera sucks for playing in the OF.

Holy shit. Zone hitting is godlike in online multiplayer. (currently playing a lot of the bronze online diamond dynasty event).

Just sit that thing down in the zone and wait for the inevitable breaking ball there. Press X to win.

Also, is it just me or is the online play the best it's been in the The Show games? There is still lag, but it happens during inconsequential moments, like sometimes when the bat makes contact with the ball there is a small synching/delay going on. I remember like in MLB 14', fastballs were impossible to hit because the lag occurred during the pitcher / hitter interface. You had to swing like half a second earlier. But in The Show 17, hit timing seems the same as it does in offline. Whatever rollback method Sony San Diego is using great, reminds me a lot of GGPO used in fighting games. Button prompts are always prioritized over animations. And the animations will catch up to the button prompts. That's how it should be done, and good on them. I never touched online in the previous games, where now it's the mode I play the most. But holy shit, I don't know if my games are still in the queue, but I should have 4 more wins in the online event. But also, I think have a loss that isn't tallied yet, so...

Try zone hitting. Directional hitting just feels dumb. Like if a pitch is low in the strikezone directional hitting the best you can do is a solid line drive. With Zone hitting you can actually make solid contact on pitches outside of the strikezone. I've hit so many doubles/home runs on pitches low in and even out of the strike zone. It's great.

Also, is it just me or is the online play the best it's been in the The Show games? There is still lag, but it happens during inconsequential moments, like sometimes when the bat makes contact with the ball there is a small synching/delay going on. I remember like in MLB 14', fastballs were impossible to hit because the lag occurred during the pitcher / hitter interface. You had to swing like half a second earlier. But in The Show 17, hit timing seems the same as it does in offline. Whatever rollback method Sony San Diego is using great, reminds me a lot of GGPO used in fighting games. Button prompts are always prioritized over animations. And the animations will catch up to the button prompts. That's how it should be done, and good on them. I never touched online in the previous games, where now it's the mode I play the most. But holy shit, I don't know if my games are still in the queue, but I should have 4 more wins in the online event. But also, I think have a loss that isn't tallied yet, so...

Yes it's just you.

Online play is absolutely atrocious and would make 2k Sports blush.

hunchback

I need some guidance. This is my first time playing a baseball game since Nes days.

Where is the best place to start? I went through the tutorials but don't feel ready for RTTS yet.

Thanks for any advice. I'm really liking it so far.

Last question. I have the PS4 Pro but just a regular HDTV. Are there any options I can use even though I don't have a 4k tv yet?

Ended a game that was tied bottom of the 9th with 1 out, 1 guy on third, and 3-2 count....

I won the game on a suicide squeeze.

This game is fucking amazing! It's been without a doubt, my favorite video game series for the past 5 years. These guys just nail it every year. It's incredible.

FrankWza

I need some guidance. This is my first time playing a baseball game since Nes days.

Where is the best place to start? I went through the tutorials but don't feel ready for RTTS yet.

Thanks for any advice. I'm really liking it so far.

Last question. I have the PS4 Pro but just a regular HDTV. Are there any options I can use even though I don't have a 4k tv yet?

You get the high framerate option which is the most important in a game like this

In year 4 of my RTTS (I play all games only simming spring training). Here's a recap:

- Created a SP with a FB, 12-6 CRV, SLDR as my pitches (would add changeup later)
- Drafted 5th by White Sox (yes!)
- Traded to A's before I could even put on a Sox uniform (fuck you)
- Gave me a handful of starts before moving to long reliever in AA
- Midway thru 2nd season I get called up from AA straight to the majors as 5th starter
- Pretty much get rocked in a handful of starts before getting demoted to bullpen work (I do a little better there but we narrowly miss playoffs)
- Even though my fucking STA was 77-79 for most of 3rd year I never got a chance to start
- Oddly though I end up leading the league in innings pitched, ERA, strikeouts, Cy Young contender as a long reliever (they used the hell out of me) for 1st half of the season, making the ASG (but not playing in it lol)
- Closer gets hurt so I get moved there and my Cy Young chances disappear
- Team gets blown up in the offseason (top 3 starting pitchers all gone wtf) and we go from middle-tier team (top 5 pitching, mediocre offense) to the worst fucking club in the league
- Now in year 4 i'm designated official closing pitcher, even though my STA is 80 and i'm 3rd highest rated SP on the squad

Closer is fun but I can't wait to leave this fucking scrub ball club and hopefully I can still be a SP somewhere else. 2 more years for FA.

NHale

Ended a game that was tied bottom of the 9th with 1 out, 1 guy on third, and 3-2 count....

I won the game on a suicide squeeze.

This game is fucking amazing! It's been without a doubt, my favorite video game series for the past 5 years. These guys just nail it every year. It's incredible.

It's indeed incredible. Every year I think this is going to be the year where I can't stand the game for long but I always keep playing them until next year and it's always on my top 10 games of the year. I don't really understand why because on the surface the changes doesn't seem much but during gameplay it's like night and day compared to previous years.

I think the last The Show game I didn't really liked was the one with Joe Mauer on the cover.

Quick

Banned
Seems like I wasn't the only one who went AA to the majors as a 5th starter, among other similar scenarios happening in RTTS.

I was drafted by the Royals
I was a starter for bit - repertoire: 4SFB, CB, CH, added a SLV and KB (my killer pitch...until I reached the majors) later
Then designated as a closer for 7 games and back to SP
Traded to the Reds right before the AA All-Star Game
Rack up some solid numbers
Get called up to the majors in the last month of the season (Reds were just wrecked for the season), I'm 5th in the rotation
Get destroyed in my 5 starts so far, but improving as I move along

Lexxism

It seems like only my RTTS pitcher is having a difficulty reach the majors or AAA because I kept on getting sub out after 4 or 5 innings lol

OMG had Dee Gordon do a straight steal of home in the bottom of the 9th with 2 outs in DD to win.

Really dumb play to try but I just had to give it a whirl because the other guy had one of those lefty relievers with a stupid long delivery.

I've had a very frustrating time with RTTS. I've played LF for the Cardinals (epic meltdown a month before playoffs, barely made the wildcard and then got bounced in the playoffs. Demanded a trade) and then the Mariners. My teams pitching is unrealistically bad. Like 40 games into the season, given up 100 homers and are dead last in every pitching statistic in the league by a mile, bad. Last night I lost a game 24-2 and honestly felt like I dont want to play it anymore. Especially because my guy leads the league in batting average, steals, extra base hits, top 5 in HRs etc. I could hit a home run every time I'm up and my team would be below .500.

There has to be an issue with the AI or something. I've been playing The Show for years and I've never seen something like this.

I know, right? This game is a fucking DISASTER online.

During the last Battle Royale run I had, I had a stretch where I went 15-1, but 6 of those games didn't count and I just kept playing till I got a win recorded. My 12 win reward would have been Kris Bryant.

3 of them quit mid-game once I pounded them, 2 of them randomly "Disconnected" and 1 of them I won and it went to queue but never counted. And I was stopped at 9-2, though it should have been 12-1 :-/ I did take a loss during the first 12, but I took my second one on like the 17th game when I should have had 12-1 long before that.

Rbk_3

Man, with the Jays off to their hot 1-8 start I find myself having no desire to play this game.

I started up a RTTS as a pitcher (have always been a positional player in the past) and it just seems was to repetitive. I think I may just import my player from last year.

jacobs34

Just finished Conquest Mode and I was really bummed out that I didn't get a single Gold or Diamond player for beating it. It got to be such a grind, and I don't think I want to spend the time to unlock the diamond rewards for going back in and conquering the divisions. Should have just dedicated my time and effort towards the team epics.

Just finished Conquest Mode and I was really bummed out that I didn't get a single Gold or Diamond player for beating it. It got to be such a grind, and I don't think I want to spend the time to unlock the diamond rewards for going back in and conquering the divisions. Should have just dedicated my time and effort towards the team epics.

Don't you get a 10 pack for it?

I mean you'll probably just end up with a hoard of common and bronze players/items *but* you could be one of those people that say OMGGGGGGGGG I JUST GOT A TROUT IN MY TEN PACK

jacobs34

Don't you get a 10 pack for it?

I mean you'll probably just end up with a hoard of common and bronze players/items *but* you could be one of those people that say OMGGGGGGGGG I JUST GOT A TROUT IN MY TEN PACK

Yeah. I got a ten pack, and a grip of those conquest packs which I think have a higher chance at getting legendary players, but alas. You also get around 10,000 stubs so at least I can mess around with Battle Royal when (IF?) they ever get the servers under control. That said, I probably wouldn't have played it knowing what I know now about the rewards, should have looked them up before I went on that three day journey.

During the last Battle Royale run I had, I had a stretch where I went 15-1, but 6 of those games didn't count and I just kept playing till I got a win recorded. My 12 win reward would have been Kris Bryant.

3 of them quit mid-game once I pounded them, 2 of them randomly "Disconnected" and 1 of them I won and it went to queue but never counted. And I was stopped at 9-2, though it should have been 12-1 :-/ I did take a loss during the first 12, but I took my second one on like the 17th game when I should have had 12-1 long before that.

When a player "disconnects" - don't exit out or reset the game. Just wait for a few minutes and they'll disconnect. You'll get the win registered that way. It's annoying but it's a method to deal with these online cheaters. Just wait them out.

When a player "disconnects" - don't exit out or reset the game. Just wait for a few minutes and they'll disconnect. You'll get the win registered that way. It's annoying but it's a method to deal with these online cheaters. Just wait them out.

Wait what do you mean? It'll just say "Lost Connection with Opponent; Hit X to return to main menu" and I always thought the game automatically took you back. I should just let it sit there?

Wait what do you mean? It'll just say "Lost Connection with Opponent; Hit X to return to main menu" and I always thought the game automatically took you back. I should just let it sit there?

You can tell when somebody rage quits. The game will kind of freeze. Just let it sit there until it brings up a player disconnect. Don't be the first one to exit out of the game or whatnot.

Typically, you'll get the win. I had to wait out a guy for 5 minutes but it gave me the win.

You can tell when somebody rage quits. The game will kind of freeze. Just let it sit there until it brings up a player disconnect. Don't be the first one to exit out of the game or whatnot.

Typically, you'll get the win. I had to wait out a guy for 5 minutes but it gave me the win.

Oh I'm aware of that one lol, from last year. I once waited someone out 5 hours for that. I decided hey I'll go be productive instead!

I had 2 golds in one conquest pack, and got 2 golds in my 10 pack for beating it

I was very surprised

Kal_El

There's no better feeling than keeping your hands back on a CB or Changeup and crushing it. Still in year 1 with the Angels. I was playing dynamic difficulty but I was killing it in AA made it to Hall of Fame difficulty and after that season I got called up to the majors and I was struggling so I dialed it back to veteran and i'm hitting around .280 so I feel like that's the sweet spot for my player until I can get him a higher overall.

Also it sucks having someone with speed on base when you're hitting. There do like 3 pick off attempts on trout every time.

Question-

When playing online head to head (ranked season, battle royale, events etc) the difficulty level you've chosen for hitting / pitching doesn't matter right? The difficulty is universally set in regards to ranked online play?

Cus if not, maybe I've been handicapping myself since I have my settings set to hall of fame.

Question-

When playing online head to head (ranked season, battle royale, events etc) the difficulty level you've chosen for hitting / pitching doesn't matter right? The difficulty is universally set in regards to ranked online play?

Cus if not, maybe I've been handicapping myself since I have my settings set to hall of fame.

It's universal online. It's set to All-Star.

augmental

I know it's a dead horse at this point but I bought a game that I can't even play the single player mode in because it requires me to be online and the servers are down....WTF

Play vs CPU game went to queue, restarted the app and a diamond glove popped up! Only 8500 stubs but a diamond is a diamond I guess.....

jacobs34

Finally pulled a couple of diamonds, and it happened basically back-to-back. I pulled a Strassberg from the Battle Royal throw-in pack, sold him, and ended up pulling a Goldschmidt out of a 20 pack bundle I bought with the stubs. Now I'm in a bit of a predicament. Goldschmidt would be my best card by far, I only have one other gold player on my offense (Brantley), and I have Chris Davis and Victor Martinez playing at first already. My gut is telling me I should sell Goldschmidt and try to balance my team out a bit, but would like to hear from some people who have more time in the game before I do something that may potentially be ill-advised.

Top Bottom