• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF | Interim Thread 7

Yeah Tony gets hit quite a bit in nearly every fight. He took tons of damage against both Edson Barboza and Lando Vannata. He has really poor striking defense.

That said he has tons of GREAT attributes and ones that could spell big trouble for Conor. I could really see that fight going either way

We'll find out... Maybe Nate's just a tough matchup for Conor, but he hasn't been active, and he hasn't even been a top lightweight for awhile. Tony has a lot of his same attributes. Tall, lanky, tough chin, nice ground game, tons of cardio. Plus he's got some weird shit and creative striking of his own to match Conor's. Conor could run into the same problems and more against Ferguson.

Only thing that worries me about Ferguson is he looks so hittable with that chin in the air.

Tony is more hittable than almost anyone Conor has fought, and he's been able to land hard shots on everyone. The only way Tony has a shot is if he can withstand direct hits and get Conor tired.

Alvarez was a tougher matchup and he got starched, I'd be shocked if Tony wins.

Yaari

Tony made it no secret that he is willing to use his grappling to grind out the win. I still would really like to see that fight though. Fuck John Kavanaugh for claiming the "fans want to see the Diaz trilogy fight". Lol.

zewone

Tony made it no secret that he is willing to use his grappling to grind out the win. I still would really like to see that fight though. Fuck John Kavanaugh for claiming the "fans want to see the Diaz trilogy fight". Lol.
I think the Diaz trilogy is more interesting than the Tony fight. I have a hard time seeing it end any way other than a early KO win for Conor.

Yaari

I think the Diaz trilogy is more interesting than the Tony fight. I have a hard time seeing it end any way other than a early KO win for Conor.

I mean, it is interesting and all, but Diaz hasn't done shit since that last fight except for whining and moaning for another shot. I am sure it would be a very entertaining fight but I just really don't want to go there again.

I like Conor a lot, but 2 divisions got ruined for him to become a 2-time champion. I want him to defend that title for once.

But yeah, I agree, he can do whatever the hell he wants. With those PPV sales on Tony's last fight, it is obvious he is going to have zero leverage negotiating anything. Oh well, not like the UFC is ever concerned with the legitimacy of their titles.

The third Diaz fight is probably a huge money fight right now. If you do that, you hold up the division and who knows what happens to Ferguson, but I think the difference is in terms of buys and anticipation, there really isn't much difference between Tony or Khabib or Lee or any other top contenders as opponents for Conor.

Nate has beat him once and came close the second time. He's not the easier fight.

Tony is.

That makes no sense. He hasnt fought Tony...maybe Tony completely tools him. You don't know yet so you can't call it easier.

Tony is basically the same height and has the same reach as Nate with basically just as good of a chin and definitely a better skill set all around.

In other news...Dana is in the media basically giving the response that he would get down on his knees for Trump.

Yaari

CrykexW.png

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/918871919293882369

Conor's latest tweet

Dysun

People will pay to see Conor fight anybody. The Nate trilogy fight would sell more, but probably not by a big margin.

Conor acknowledging Tony tweeting his name could possibly be a negotiating tactic with Nate.

Sign the dotted line and accept the terms as they are or Tony is next line.

Levito

Banned
Nate will always be there, even if Conor lost to Tony. Keep that fight in your back pocket kind of deal, Nate isn't gonna fight anyone besides Conor anyways.

Yaari

I always expected him to come back. As long as he keeps getting paid big numbers, he is going to show up. He worked hard to get these paydays and he's not going to go away now that he's finally hit that point.

Think they never completely ruled out a late December fight. Conor said he'd do it if he did not have to do any media for it. I doubt that is going to happen, but there's probably some room for negotiations there then.

Can they even make a card with some drawing power if not with him, for that date anyway.

pixelation

People will pay to see Conor fight anybody. The Nate trilogy fight would sell more, but probably not by a big margin.

Yup!, people acting like Nate Diaz is this mega star... he's not. More famous than Ferguson?, yeah... but not on a whole different level.

Dern moved up to 125 and proceeded to almost knock her opponents head off. Ended up getting the rear naked choke finish after a knockdown.

The Diaz bros should be stars and people like me will always want to see them fight, but as with MMA in general they have little mainstream appeal.

Heel

These announcers are bad enough to make you appreciate the subtle nuances of Jon Anik. Tachi Palace is covered more competently.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Worked Spartyka 31 last night. Was tons of fun being on the floor and screaming at the cage. Afterparty was even more fun. Mitch Aguiar needs to go pro like yesterday.

Top Bottom