• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF | Interim Thread 7

Yaari

Apparently Edson Barboza has been offered the Khabib fight too.

Also;

“GSP would need to defend his title first at 185 [pounds] and Conor has some business to handle himself. It would be a year and a half down the road before we would even talk about that,”
Lol.

VoxPop

I'm down for any Conor fight (Paulie, Ferguson, Khabib and even GSP) but a 3rd Diaz fight really turns me off. I get they're at 1 a piece but a 3rd fight really isn't appealing at all. I understand it did the most buys out of any Conor fight (minus Mayweather) but that was more for the chance of the Conor hypetrain coming to a screeching halt at the time than it had anything to do with Diaz being a draw. But it also doesn't help that 216 did so poorly. My guess is that they actually go through with the Diaz fight or Paulie..

Syder

I'm guessing these Malignaggi rumours are an effort to nudge UFC into opening the vault to nail Conor down to a deal to fight a couple more times (Tony and Nate).

I'm down for any Conor fight (Paulie, Ferguson, Khabib and even GSP) but a 3rd Diaz fight really turns me off. I get they're at 1 a piece but a 3rd fight really isn't appealing at all. I understand it did the most buys out of any Conor fight (minus Mayweather) but that was more for the chance of the Conor hypetrain coming to a screeching halt at the time than it had anything to do with Diaz being a draw. But it also doesn't help that 216 did so poorly. My guess is that they actually go through with the Diaz fight or Paulie..
You'd really want another boxing match before Diaz III, despite the first two fights being great?

No one wants another fucking boxing match. It's not going to happen, the only important thing to come out of new Paulie bullshit is UFC being reminded they have to pay up to get Conor back in the octagon.

VoxPop

I'm guessing these Malignaggi rumours are an effort to nudge UFC into opening the vault to nail Conor down to a deal to fight a couple more times (Tony and Nate).

You'd really want another boxing match before Diaz III, despite the first two fights being great?

It's an entertaining boxing match this time around with a beatable old man in Paulie especially with their history.

First 2 fights were great but honestly Nate shouldn't even be in the picture. If Conor is going to fight in MMA, I'd much rather have him defend his belt than see him in a stylistically bad matchup against a bottom tier top 10 guy. I mean I'll be watching either way so at least let there be something on the line.

A lot of people I talked to said they didn't want to see a second Diaz fight, especially at 170, but that fight ended up being a banger.

Diaz 3 has to happen sooner rather than later.

If Conor fights Tony and wins, Diaz 3 is likely next.

If Conor loses, he gets a rematch with Tony first because, you know, #OBSESSED, and then he'll fight Nate.

However this shit goes down, I think the trilogy is going to be capped off within 12 months.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Diaz 3 is the money fight. Everyone knows it. Talk of the Fergie fight is probably just to get Nate to drop his price.

Isn't McGregor vs anybody the money fight?

Diaz is probably the biggest fight but what's he really going to boost the overall numbers, 10-15%?

Diaz is the only name that can probably add to that draw. Ferguson might be the champ but knows who the fuck he is. Fights with Ferg, Khabib, Lee or any other top 10 LW are all likely the same in terms of draw power, which is from a money perspective it makes sense to do the Diaz fight now. The other fights will be there later.

Isn't McGregor vs anybody the money fight?

Diaz is probably the biggest fight but what's he really going to boost the overall numbers, 10-15%?

10-15% is a conservative estimate and would still translate into millions.

McGregor is the money fight, but the Diaz brothers are hugely popular and Nate will undoubtedly add numbers.

UFC 196 (Diaz I) and 202 (Diaz II) did 1.3m (on like 11 days notice for Nate) and 1.65m buys respectively and are the third and highest selling PPVs in UFC history.

Compare that to 205, which was far more stacked as the first MSG event and headlined by McGregor going up against Alvarez for the LW strap, and did 1.3m buys.

The trilogy fight is going to be a monster. Especially after Conor made some fans and more enemies through boxing. It's very likely that fight will break the 2m buys barrier.

Syder

https://instagram.com/p/Baata_-Dvvq/

anigif_enhanced-buzz-6782-1404376435-25.gif

The Diaz fight is always there so who gives a f*ck?

It's worse if he loses to Diaz and then tries to fight Tony or whatever. His draw diminishes. Losing to Tony just adds another grudge match and buys in the future AND he still has the Diaz fight.

Some of you are looking at this with tunnel vision .

The Diaz fight is always there so who gives a f*ck?

It's worse if he loses to Diaz and then tries to fight Tony or whatever. His draw diminishes. Losing to Tony just adds another grudge match and buys in the future AND he still has the Diaz fight.

Some of you are looking at this with tunnel vision .

I think it's the opposite. The title match is there for whenever he wants, against whoever the champ is. The Diaz match is the known quanitity so it would make sense he might push for that. He could fight whoever the LW champ is a year from now and it would likely do the same numbers as a match either Tony would in December or Jan or whenever.

BadAss2961

I think it's the opposite. The title match is there for whenever he wants, against whoever the champ is. The Diaz match is the known quanitity so it would make sense he might push for that. He could fight whoever the LW champ is a year from now and it would likely do the same numbers as a match either Tony would in December or Jan or whenever.
But he is the champion? He loses to Nate, he drops the belt to him. Then Nate has to defend against the interim... Does Conor get another free title shot after that with just 1 win in the division before dropping the belt to a guy who's basically a part-timer now?

Who am I kidding. This is UFC booking.

The next Diaz fight would be at 155...not 170. He has stated that already. So yeah, it'd be for that bs belt and if he loses he isn't fighting Tony for a belt .

Conor should just keep losing, then he can have a grudge match with everyone. #OnnitWoke

source.gif

Heel is too real for us plebians 🤷

I want McG to fight Tony though. As much as I enjoy fuckery every now and then, McG really needs to defend his belt. I also want McG to fight Woodley though 🤔

Top Bottom