• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

Chamber

love on your sleeve
tumblr_m61yolRoWT1rxgomoo1_400.jpg

I'm seeing the light, brehs. For the first time in 26 years, my eyes are open.

Next

Tennis doesn't have this problem, the vast majority of people simply aren't interested in cage fights. Those that are often times have something wrong in their head. Whether it's repressed homosexuality, living vicariously through a badass or just a desire to see a trainwreck...add them all up and you're still going to hit a pretty low ceiling. The good news for the UFC is that these kinds of weirdos are a global phenomenon and there are a lot of untapped countries still out there.

wtf do you actually believe this?

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
wtf do you actually believe this?
TBH I'm pretty sure I can tick off all three of those. If anything I think mud is only scratching the surface and there are some deeper, darker reasons for my (and others') enjoyment of human cockfighting.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
TBH I'm pretty sure I can tick off all three of those. If anything I think mud is only scratching the surface and there are some deeper, darker reasons for my (and others') enjoyment of human cockfighting.
Believe me I have my own demon in my head. People have no idea how dark I am in my head sometimes

Heel

Before humans threw balls into hoops, or hit them with a wooden bat, someone threw a punch and people gathered around to watch it. I don't care what color you are, or what language you speak, we're all human beings. Fighting is in our DNA, man. We get it, and we like it.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

If Joanne Calderwood isn't one of the first fighters across then there's no hope for that division.

And hopefully Invicta can survive with competition like this. Either that or the UFC should just buy them.

Questionable stoppage in the Rampage v. Beltran fight imo.

1.gif

At first glance it looks quick because Beltran isn't even being given the chance to turtle up and defend himself. But at second glance I think Rampage would have just unloaded on him further. Those were two big hooks right to the chin, I doubt Beltran would have recovered from them.

And I wonder why no-one is giving any time to Minakov beating Volkov. I'd consider that an upset. Edit: Now that I've seen a gif of that Minakov/Volkov stoppage, now that looked early.

1.gif

At first glance it looks quick because Beltran isn't even being given the chance to turtle up and defend himself. But at second glance I think Rampage would have just unloaded on him further. Those were two big hooks right to the chin, I doubt Beltran would have recovered from them.

And I wonder why no-one is giving any time to Minakov beating Volkov. I'd consider that an upset. Edit: Now that I've seen a gif of that Minakov/Volkov stoppage, now that looked early.

Both of them were questionable. The thing about the Beltran stoppage was the bell for the round sounded right before Miragliotta stepped in. It's one of those situations where I feel like even with that last right hand, Beltran wasn't in any horrible defenseless state nor was he out of it. He probably lost consciousness for a split second when that left hit but was back before he even hit the ground.

I'm not out and out going to say it's bad because there's always the potential for harm with just one more strike but there's been a lot of worse situations that don't get stopped. So at there should at least be some regulation. Some standard.

industrian

Both of them were questionable. The thing about the Beltran stoppage was the bell for the round sounded right before Miragliotta stepped in. It's one of those situations where I feel like even with that last right hand, Beltran wasn't in any horrible defenseless state nor was he out of it. He probably lost consciousness for a split second when that left hit but was back before he even hit the ground.

I'm not out and out going to say it's bad because there's always the potential for harm with just one more strike but there's been a lot of worse situations that don't get stopped. So at there should at least be some regulation. Some standard.

Ok, then it's definitely questionable. I didn't know that context before seeing the gif.

And I'd say it's impossible to standardise and regulate stoppages, because there's a million ways for a fighter to get put out of service and another million ways for a fighter to instantly bounce back into action. That said, there's a million other ways a fighter totally out on their feet can just stand there and take too much punishment. Or in other words, for every Hendricks/Fitch, there's a Hendo/Fedor, a Kongo/Barry and a Curran/Warren. We just need responsible referees who know the power/recovery potential of the fighters and can adjust accordingly. Regulating/standardising stoppages at best would piss everyone off, and at worse kill the sport.

Ok, then it's definitely questionable. I didn't know that context before seeing the gif.

And I'd say it's impossible to standardise and regulate stoppages, because there's a million ways for a fighter to get put out of service and another million ways for a fighter to instantly bounce back into action. That said, there's a million other ways a fighter totally out on their feet can just stand there and take too much punishment. Or in other words, for every Hendricks/Fitch, there's a Hendo/Fedor, a Kongo/Barry and a Curran/Warren. We just need responsible referees who know the power/recovery potential of the fighters and can adjust accordingly. Regulating/standardising stoppages at best would piss everyone off, and at worse kill the sport.

You're probably right. The wild variants of stoppages just make it harder as a fan to understand and accept the results. It adds controversy to a sport that really doesn't need anymore of it.

industrian

Also, I doubt that any western media sources up picked up on this, but the cast of The Ultimate Fighter: China has been finalised. One of the guys at my gym is there - Rocky Lee. I think he's the only Taiwanese dude there.

Next

lol, you're a repressed homossexual? I don't think that has anything to do with liking MMA tho.

MjFrancis

This thread always delivers. At the very least it does so regularly.

Should I feel bad for ordering the PPV tonight? I'm having people over to watch Hendricks go for that Matt Serra punch while we drink spirits and gnaw on drumsticks like cavemen. There will probably be pointing, yelling and grunting at the television screen, too.

muddream

Banned
ok you read me like an open book. Now, why do you think that has anything to do with enjoying mma?

You'll just have to take my word for it, there's no way I'm revisiting my deeply disturbing Josh Barnett related research.

I wouldn't worry about it, MMA-inducing trauma pales in comparison to what you must've gone through to don an animu avatar.

Next

Accepting the innate homoerotic nature of MMA is part of the appeal to me, bro.

No hetero.

I was more poking fun at him saying he's repressed. If you know you're a repressed homossexual why not become an open homossexual lol.

@mud
well whatever then

edit: how lucky that Josh Barnett is my favorite active fighter :D

I'm thinking of getting a 2 TB HDD for my PS4 today. I am wondering if I can use that 500 GB that comes with the PS4 and stuff it in my OG fat PS3, since that thing is always low on space.

muddream

Banned
Why not get a 1GB Samsung 840 Evo SSD if you can afford it? 2GB HDD sounds like plain lazyness, while an SSD will help with performance every day you use it.

If that's the best option than I would do that. I'm not really familiar with all this HDD stuff. I just want to make sure that stock ps4 HDD is compatible with the ps3. Wouldn't want to waste a new 500 gig hdd

industrian

If that's the best option than I would do that. I'm not really familiar with all this HDD stuff. I just want to make sure that stock ps4 HDD is compatible with the ps3. Wouldn't want to waste a new 500 gig hdd

The PS4 uses 2.5" SATA HDDs. Same with the PS3. There shouldn't be any problems in using your PS4 drive with your PS3.

And personally, I would thoroughly recommend a 1TB drive for the PS4 if these 30-50GB installs are the way of the future. Otherwise it's going to be 8-12 games max on a 500GB drive.

muddream

Banned

I believe you'll need to put the stock PS4 HDD back in for warranty claims, dunno if they'll still accept it in PS3 format. You're only "wasting" like $40 on a 500GB HDD these days, mind.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I take solace in the fact that no matter how dumb i may be i will never be as dumb as the guy who thought making noah's ark the movie was a good idea.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Why not get a 1GB Samsung 840 Evo SSD if you can afford it? 2GB HDD sounds like plain lazyness, while an SSD will help with performance every day you use it.

Yeah, I'll probably go the SSD route when I upgrade. Don't think I'll ever need more than 500GB.

dream

I see that everyone in the world is picking Rory over Ruthless Robbie, but I just don't see how Rory can win this fight. Even if he spends 15 minutes running around and peppering The Ruthless One with little jabs, I think he eventually gets cut off and caught.

Next

I see that everyone in the world is picking Rory over Ruthless Robbie, but I just don't see how Rory can win this fight. Even if he spends 15 minutes running around and peppering The Ruthless One with little jabs, I think he eventually gets cut off and caught.

let's hope you're right...

The PS4 uses 2.5" SATA HDDs. Same with the PS3. There shouldn't be any problems in using your PS4 drive with your PS3.

And personally, I would thoroughly recommend a 1TB drive for the PS4 if these 30-50GB installs are the way of the future. Otherwise it's going to be 8-12 games max on a 500GB drive.
Yeah I got the biggest hard drive you can get in the PS4 right now, a 1.5TB: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EDIU5IW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

That'll still only hold the installations for 30 games that are 50GB.

TheChits

It didnt. I wouldnt watch that movie if my balls were crazy glued to a cannonball and shot through the door of the theater.

Aronofsky is one of the most interesting directors out there. And I think the story is a bit more interesting than you are probably imagining it

MjFrancis

We can only hope.

I'm a fan of boring fighters getting burned. Rory's last performance was abysmal. Lawler has impressed me immensely in the octagon, let's hope he keeps the KO's coming.

industrian

Yeah I got the biggest hard drive you can get in the PS4 right now, a 1.5TB: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EDIU5IW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

That'll still only hold the installations for 30 games that are 50GB.

I would imagine that the load times from that thing leave a lot to be desired.

Aronofsky is one of the most interesting directors out there. And I think the story is a bit more interesting than you are probably imagining it

Wait... we're not talking about Evan Almighty here?

Top Bottom