• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mod Verified "insider" on era claims XBOX is currently considering dropping XBOX One support for Halo Infinite

Rolla

Banned
cUbySEh.jpg

TATfILB.jpg

Given how much discussion there has been recently about whether or not supporting legacy hardware is detrimental to next gen games and hardware. Also with Halo being a major factor for arguments both for and against, I figured this new development from Microsoft is very interesting to say the least.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
If it pushes halo to late next year, not a big deal. Gives people a year to move over, hopefully pandemic shit under control by then.

Verchod

Well they did seem to imply that Infinite was more of a platform for future games. So unless they're going to support the one s for years to come, they should drop it. As long as they support the Series S, if it ever releases, then it'll be fine.

Bite the bullet, do it.

diffusionx

Gold Member
So what exactly happened to all the PR bullshit crossgen 'we're for the people, don't believe in generations and care about all our users'?

Hit a giant wall labeled reality.

Then what's the difference then?

It's going to be the same game but just polished.

Either start from scratch or accept what it is.

We don't know the actual state of Halo Infinite, we just know a small demo. That small demo was polished up and still went over like a wet fart. So we don't know what shape the game is in or what they feel like they have to do to get it in shape (not that I trust 343 to know any of those things).

Last edited:

McCheese

Seems like a worst of both worlds scenario, they don't have enough time to re-tool the engine so it'll end up being a lacklustre next-gen exclusive, and piss off those suckers who picked up the One X based on that Halo E3 demo a few years back.

They just need to see this through, release it as an unashamed cross-gen title that looks dated but keeps their promises to their customers. Then throw 343i in the fucking trash and let Bungie handle a next-gen only Halo title.

Drewpee

Banned
That would be anti-consumer.

Before I saw the Halo Infinite gameplay trailer I would have agreed. That video completely changed my opinion. I am not a game designer and assumed they could take the PC approach where games will scale.

Apparently consoles are not capable or 343 was not skilled enough to pull it off. Either way it has changed how I feel about developing for old and new consoles simultaneously.

Last edited:

DJTHEGREY

It would be a bad business decision in my opinion... Only because they've been pushing the narrative of playing anywhere. If Halo is playable on the xcloud why wouldn't it be possible to play on the Xbox One? However... I will say they tried to do something similar with Titanfall and if I remember correctly it didn't go well.

saintjules

Was gonna make a thread on this, but wasn't sure about using screenshots from the other place. Good to know it's safe lol.

Two years based on the reveal reactions. Well, as long as they have the time to make it what the fans want, go for it.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
We don't know the actual state of Halo Infinite, we just know a small demo. That small demo was polished up and still went over like a wet fart. So we don't know what shape the game is in or what they feel like they have to do to get it in shape (not that I trust 343 to know any of those things).

Then start from zero and make a next gen Halo instead of that Xbox One crap.

But that will take years. Like 2 years at best.

SegaShack

Seems like a worst of both worlds scenario, they don't have enough time to re-tool the engine so it'll end up being a lacklustre next-gen exclusive, and piss off those suckers who picked up the One X based on that Halo E3 demo a few years back.

They just need to see this through, release it as an unashamed cross-gen title that looks dated but keeps their promises to their customers. Then throw 343i in the fucking trash and let Bungie handle a next-gen only Halo title.
Cut scene thing from a few years ago doesn't count as a demo IMO. I don't think anyone watches cutscene trailers and buys games based on them alone.

Kdad

I'm asking as a non Xbox owner....have they put out ANY game in this last year of the Xbox One that would be considered a grand send off? I'm used to PS always loading up in the last year of a console...what has Microsoft put out this year...though Halo was going to be their big send off? Like...they know when the next gen is coming...they didn't make any games that are 'keepers' for their current fans to keep them happy moving to new hardware?

Last edited:

H-I-M

Hit a giant wall labeled reality.

Let's be honest, the only reason why all of this is suddenly an issue and the game got delayed, is because of the backlash.
Halo's Twitter page and Phil were still hyping the game just a few days before the reveal, meaning that to them the game was good and polished enough to be released this year.

And if a viral meme was a 'reality check', after >5 years of development and a massive budget, then they have a bigger problem...

I can sense hypocrisy when the same people who defended Halo Infinite for being a cross-gen showcase and that MS was being pro consumer are now going to sweep that shit under the rug and say Halo Infinite had to drop the Xbox One in order to get the best experience and the best experience wasn't possible unless it's built for Series X.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
No. The issue is consistency of messaging. Sony has been very consistent, MS not so much.

If they need to drop a system for Halo to git gud I’m sure Xbox fans will understand.

Sony fans can take the W on this I guess, sucks that there will be a reason to upgrade now. Might not really be the win they wanted lol

Dr Kaneda

Seems insanely stupid to have THE flagship game of your entire company be held back by a last gen console, and for the sake of what? People who wanted an Xbox One have already bought one, but a incredible Halo Infinite could be the difference between people choosing Xbox next gen or not. I'm sometimes baffled at how top level, multi-million dollar executives with years of experience could make poor decisions like this.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Cancelling the Xbox one version without essentially starting from scratch is basically pointless. You get an Xbox one game releasing on series x.

What they should be doing is working on a massive series x patch with a full set of ultra type textures, models, ray tracing, higher LOD, higher draw distance, etc.

Unless they want to make it a 2023 game, dropping the one makes no sense. Delaying it by even a year means 343 should be shut down.

Greeno

It seems to me that the next Xbox is not a must have for the first 2 years. But starting 2022, it will be the console to go to for RPGs and shooters if you don't have a capable PC.

MrS

Banned
Why did it take that Halo Infinite trailer last month for them to realise this? Makes no sense.

Stuff like this also shows that their proposed continued support for current gen is totally wrong, foolish and should be reversed. You have new tech, focus on it. Leave Xbox one and PS4 in the past. They are fucking dunzo in November.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

I will say that they will probably drop the support but it's more to focus on the Xbox series X version. Halo Infinite needs to come sooner than later. Or at the very least they might outsource the base console version to another developer.

It is pro consumer to Include your games on every console, you cannot say it's not.

But is it realistic?

Well.. we just don't know yet. Halo was going to be the game that proved it is and it hasn't delivered on looking like a next gen console.

It's becoming more and more clear that the years of perfecting game studios and the years of experience is starting to hurt MS. It's not enough to throw money at something.

supernova8

Banned
I think we all know how this generation is going to pan out. Sony is going to win again, so maybe Microsoft should take the Miyamoto approach with - a late game can eventually be good but a bad game will be remembered as a bad game forever. I suppose issue is that Xbox doesn't really have that many memorable franchises left that can save them in the meantime. Forza and Fable both look to be way out. Hellblade didn't even have any gameplay to show... Gears of War hasn't had a mention at all unless it's being ninja-revealed soon.

What exactly do Xbox have coming even in the first 12 months in terms of heavy-hitting first party?

Handy Fake

If they need to drop a system for Halo to git gud I’m sure Xbox fans will understand.

Sony fans can take the W on this I guess, sucks that there will be a reason to upgrade now. Might not really be the win they wanted lol
Quite honestly, we take the piss a bit but I don't think there's a single poster on here - Sony or otherwise - who aren't glad about it. There may be a rivalry but it's the same with football clubs; you mock and rant but you never want to see your nemesis go to the wall.

a4ddda3e76c7db0724ff34c4361eb093.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom