• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Modder 'fix' Tales of Zestiria on PC, it's now running at 60fps

Durante

In any case where something could be fixed in a mod without source access, it is a fair assumption that fixing it with access to the code base would be significantly simpler.

From my understanding, nothing short of building the entire system from scratch could make Dark Souls run at 60 FPS with no additional issues.
That's not really true. Even if we assume that the physics and collision detection could not be fixed and would need to be rebuilt (which is, IMHO, a huge stretch), replacing that component completely would still be just one component and not the entire system.

Generally, I do think official porting efforts should be given a few more resources to go beyond the bare minimum.

rickyson1

nice i'd have probably done the preorder thing if i'd known this was coming but people were saying it wasn't possible

ah well i'll just pick it up on sale at some point not like i'd have played it anytime soon anyways with how infrequently I actually play the games I buy

Falk

that puzzling face
Generally, I do think official porting efforts should be given a few more resources to go beyond the bare minimum.

While we're discussing this, I think on the other end of the spectrum, Gungho and Grandia II's Steam port are worthy of bringing up and worthy of commendation.

That port launched with some issues, many of which were patched, and 60fps battles restored (original PC port had this, Dreamcast version which the new port is based on didn't) and Gungho's reps were extremely forthcoming and transparent on Steam and on NeoGAF (OT, etc) in setting expectations on what to expect, what not to expect, and when some things were completely out of their reach in terms of resources. Sure, there's some issues leftover, but I honestly feel that while the original DC version is superior in some aspects (cutscene sync, some leftover audio issues), the current Steam version is really the best version available right now by a good margin, even counting souped-up DC emulation.

Of course, that kind of candidness simply isn't going to fit many other companies' profiles/culture, and probably not at all justifiable for recent games because of its higher visibility/scrutiny, but I still found it extremely refreshing, especially considering how unexpected the port was in the first place.

edit: And yes, I do remember that Bamco did touch on the framerate in an official capacity prior to launch.

nikos

As someone who is currently playing this game, seeing it running at 60 FPS looks weird. That being said, I would certainly welcome a 60 FPS update but don't have a problem with it running at 30.

The reason for the game not running at 60 FPS originally, according to Bamco, is because it would cause issues with the battle system. Has anyone found any truth to that?

That's not really true. Even if we assume that the physics and collision detection could not be fixed and would need to be rebuilt (which is, IMHO, a huge stretch), replacing that component completely would still be just one component and not the entire system.

Aa I see. Thank you for the correction.

I do have a pretty low standard for PC ports (as long as it doesn't run worse than the console version and doesn't crash constantly, I'm content), so I guess I'm pretty under-qualified to discuss about the virtues of a good port.

Momentary

Banned
As someone who is currently playing this game, seeing it running at 60 FPS looks weird. That being said, I would certainly welcome a 60 FPS update but don't have a problem with it running at 30.

The reason for the game not running at 60 FPS originally, according to Bamco, is because it would cause issues with the battle system. Has anyone found any truth to that?

I found that the battle system is a hell of a lot more enjoyable for me. Hell just moving through the menus is more enjoyable for me. The game just looks fantastic now. No more janky 15 FPS animations from enemies more than 15 feet aways or 15 frame animations when there are too many enemies during combat. I can't go back to the old version of the game.

I'm so impressed by the job done on this mod. Sometimes I wish I would win the lottery so I could make my own porting company and hire some of these "doing it for fun" people. I'd hook these ladies and gents up with some hefty bonuses for every game. I'd have to have someone competent running the technical side of things, because I wouldn't know what the hell was going on.

In my opinion, the Zestiria port was well above average. It offers way more than what it's console counterparts have. If they included this mod as part of the game it would be up there with some of the greats.

Durante

Hmm, sadly the mod doesn't seem to work for me, I simply get the old "everything runs twice as fast" 60 FPS deal after installing it.

catbrush

I wish Bamco could/would put this fix on PS4. I mostly play Tales games for local co-op with my lover, so the PC version would be much less convenient.
Not a chance, I know... :(

DeVeAn

Great news. Didn't buy on Ps4 yet. Will get PC version later. Funny I couldn't finish symphonia remake because of the FPS. The GameCube ran at 60 and made it way more enjoyable.

Jimrpg

Damn I'll have to bump this up on my wish list then.

But can he fix way of the samurai 4? Would love for that to be 60 as its a bit janky currently.

Knurek

What are the odds Bamco would use the code to create a patch for PS4/PC?

Close to zero.
They certainly haven't used Durante's code for creating an official patch for Dark Souls, heck, other than that FROM employee posting memory addresses for 60fps unlock, his work never got any official recognition (AFAIK)

I'll try that, though I'd hate for it to work since it makes not the least bit of sense.

Surely you must remember Deadly Premonition...

Nyoro SF

Zero.

Implementation of a patch that affects gameplay on a base level across the whole game requires review of the whole code and QA. It's why the creation of big patches for big games is usually sequestered into the development process.

If they weren't going to take the time to fix it while still developing the port, they're definitely not going to take the time and resources to do it after development wrapped up.

Stuart444

I agree but this port was definitely 'beyond the bare minimum'.

If Bamco wanted to be cheap about it, they could have just paid the porting company to do the bare min aka a straight port. No better textures, no graphical options, etc. Just make it run at a higher resolution and put it onto the PC/PS4 with nothing else done.

They would get shit on for it of course but they could have done the 'bare minimum' if they wanted to.

All in all, Bamco gotten better since their first PC ports and I assume/hope that once the Japanese team that works on Tales see the sales of the PC version, that they will keep it in mind when developing future titles.

At the very least, they are keeping the PS4 in mind for the next title so 60fps will hopefully be a part of the package.

0%

It causes the animations to look weird/fast/janky and would not be suitable for anything official.

Isaccard

I don't want to derail the thread with this brief question, but I remember reading in another thread this game has Securom on it? Is that true?

Durante

So yeah, rebooting fixed the issue. I'll look through the code to check and see if I can identify why this would be the case.

Battles at 60 FPS are GLORIOUS. Wow. One of the largest visual upgrades going from 30 to 60 I've ever seen. I think the clean style does it.

DP's pc port always seemed like some sort of meta commentary on the game itself. As if david lynch coded it.
Heh.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Hopefully Berseria is 60fps from the start and this little experiment of theirs has run its course.

With that being said, we have no idea of Berseria's battle system or gameplay systems

Haroon

Do you guys happen to know how to take advantage the increased shadow resolution option? Is it RescaleShadows=-2 that I need to change? If so, what are the options available?

MegaPanda

The patch broke the game for me during the first visit to Lastonbell. You can't proceed or do any actions until the priest enters a building, but he gets stuck on the stairs up to the door. I tried pushing him around but sadly this isn't Skyrim. Had to temporarily disable the patch

Durante

Do you guys happen to know how to take advantage the increased shadow resolution option? Is it RescaleShadows=-2 that I need to change? If so, what are the options available?
It seems to be a port of the feature I added to GeDoSaTo. If so, 4 is the value I used to most closely match the character shadow detail to the environmental shadows at their highest setting.

Haroon

It seems to be a port of the feature I added to GeDoSaTo. If so, 4 is the value I used to most closely match the character shadow detail to the environmental shadows at their highest setting.

Okay, thanks for responding, and thanks for the new feature!

Edit: I changed it to two. Thanks!

Edit 2: Changed it to -4.

Durante

Actually, reading the way it is used in their code, 4 is probably too much (since it's the number of shifts, that is, the power of 2 used). Try 2.

Knurek

Actually, -4

From readme:

4 = 16x (2048x2048 for Sorrey), (1024x1024 Everyone Else)
-4 = 16x (2048x2048 for EVERYONE)

Actually, reading the way it is used in their code, 4 is probably too much (since it's the number of shifts, that is, the power of 2 used). Try 2.

-2 then, unless you want more blocky shadows for non-Sorey characters

Momentary

Banned
My game wouldn't even start when I first implementated the mod. Restarting my system fixed it for some reason. Not at all a big deal after seeing this game run like silk. It even runs at 60 at 1440p. I going to pus it to 4K later.

That is one issue I'm having. Every time I change resolution the game crashes, but it restarts at the selected resolution. Not a big deal. ***This is while using GeDoSaTo.***

The patch broke the game for me during the first visit to Lastonbell. You can't proceed or do any actions until the priest enters a building, but he gets stuck on the stairs up to the door. I tried pushing him around but sadly this isn't Skyrim. Had to temporarily disable the patch

This is the issue with trying to do a 60fps fix. There are probably numerous progression-blocking situation like this that will crop up because of it. That one bounding box that worked fine with a 33ms time step now intersects at 16ms and gets stuck, so what do you do? Re-script the sequence? How many more of these issues will you find? Do you have the manpower and time to fix them all? It's a risk that needs to be weighed.

I believe that proper variable fps should be a standard, but back-fixing everything can be quite difficult depending on what assumptions were made and where. Develop things right the first time :p

Datschge

I wonder, when people say how. "simple" the fix is, what exactly are they basing that idea on?
DrDaxxy's code to switch to 60 fps is very simple:
https://github.com/Kaldaien/TZF/commit/f32b6913a078b18eb0bc1bc4eb6e1b2daaa47a15

Zestiria's issue appears to be very bad framepacing which is only exacerbated at 60 fps. This is what Kaldaien is trying to fix with TZFix since the beginning, and DrDaxxy stated that 60 fps would be worthless without it. The switch to 60 fps already showed more issues with TZFix that are being resolved (e.g. asyncing audio in skits). As I wrote earlier Kaldaien already tagged a pre-release of 1.0.1 which "Isolate timing tweaks to render thread alone": https://github.com/Kaldaien/TZF/releases/tag/tzf_101

Well, no shit. Tweaking a few variables to unlock to 60fps, simple. Fixing the most glaring, instantly apparent issues, a little less simple.
It's interesting that the work on TZFix already touched issues that needed to be resolved for 60 fps before the latter was introduced. Catching two birds with one stone.

In any case where something could be fixed in a mod without source access, it is a fair assumption that fixing it with access to the code base would be significantly simpler.
Too true. Kaldaien is repeatedly singing that song in his thread. ^^

Nil.

Though I do think they take note of such mods (and their popularity) for future endeavors. So even if it's not officially improving the finished product anymore, it's sending the correct message for future releases.

Datschge

Btw, everyone who is coming across 60 fps related bugs, DrDaxxy is apparently trying to join here and asking for saved data so he can reproduce them:

DrDaxxy said:
In the meantime, could you ask that person if they have a save from right before the bug appears they could upload? Save directory is <Steam-folder>\userdata\<user-id>\351970\remote\. I'd like to see if I can reproduce this issue on my system.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/351970/discussions/0/490123938441506815/?fp=2#c496881136920109789

This gives me hope for Symphonia being 60 FPS in some way. Perhaps people who weren't going to buy this game because of 30 FPS, will now reconsider. Seems like the definitive version of the game.

Miff

Been playing with the mod enabled for a couple of hours.

60fps... lovely.
Fluid battle controls... great.
Camera no longer feeling like it's being pushed through mud...
GLORIOUS.

I'm so chuffed with this. Thanks Kaldaien / DrDaxxy / Durante for improving the game.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Has anyone figured out how to get rid of the kind of hazy bloomy filter over everything? Drives me nuts.

Rhapsody

Banned
Tried the game again today and got lots of slowdown here and there. My laptop's definitely good enough to handle it, but I lowered the resolution and other settings just in case and it still persisted. Guess I'll try again after another reboot since that did the trick the first time. Really hope I figure a way around this since it's going to be tough to go back.

Runs great @ 60.. though combined with the reshade set I was using, the game runs @ 30.. not sure if it's just the extra shaders and the load they place on the gpu or if there is something in the dll chain taking the 60 fps unlock out of the loop.

Leaning towards the latter..

Eyothrie

Been playing with the mod enabled for a couple of hours.

60fps... lovely.
Fluid battle controls... great.
Camera no longer feeling like it's being pushed through mud...
GLORIOUS.

I'm so chuffed with this. Thanks Kaldaien / DrDaxxy / Durante for improving the game.

Only problem is that subtitles during prerendered cutscenes like the one at the very beginning of the game are way out of sync. They lag way behind the audio and video. The screen actually goes black after the video ends while the subtitles catch up. Not a dealbreaker by any means, but it would be nice if it gets fixed. Would be absolutely perfect then.

Top Bottom