• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ModNation Racers |OT| Loading, Moaning And Creating Vinyl Clothing

V_Ben

Banned
2n9cpbd.jpg

-The Official Thread

The PS3 Version
xonww5.png

2q366nr.png

ayx4yv.png

Reviews:
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/modnationracers

Release Date:
EU - May 21, 2010
USA - May 25, 2010

4435966570_cfd08ace02.jpg

4435255885_367d1a4609.jpg

The PSP Version
2i27ig6.png

23rjtpz.png

33as2tl.png

Reviews:
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/psp/modnationracers

4435997406_19681ba320.jpg

Release Date:
EU - May 21, 2010
USA - May 25, 2010

qzrgbt.png

All images and text are taken from the official web site for the game. Enjoy! :D

been contemplating using my $20 Amazon credit on this game. Looks like it has the potential to be a lot of fun especially with that track creator it has.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Pre-ordered a looooooong time ago from Half.com I think for $40. Looking forward to this more than any game this month.

Played the beta on the PSP thanks to a Gaffer here but I'm going to try the demo out now for the PS3. Hope the loading isn't as bad as some say it is.

reKon

Banned
VGChampion said:
Played the beta on the PSP thanks to a Gaffer here but I'm going to try the demo out now for the PS3. Hope the loading isn't as bad as some say it is.

Loading will be improved through a patch after it's released

Slaylock

Nice job on the OP.

I've been squarely on the fence about this game for months. I'm hoping the demo will convince me one way or the other.

I've got Red Dead Redemption waiting for me at home, but I'm more interested in giving the MNR demo a spin first.

jergrah

Nice job with the official thread. Looking forward to trying out the demo this week -- the latest video with Kevin Butler really piqued my interest.

Concept17

Well I can report the install is well...awkwardly long. It was doing just fine up until the 70% mark and then was taking a few minutes between each percent. Not sure what the deal was.

RagnarokX

Just went through the demo. No modspot. Tracks, mods, and carts that you make can't be used in the demo; you can't even test race. Load times are a little long but nothing daunting to me.

I had no problems on the install.

V_Ben

Banned
oh good. Just got back to my ps3 to check if the demo had finished downloading. It had been downloading the demo for iron man 2 instead. oh goody! :D

jmd494

In the demo, the camera is too close and the controls feel a bit unresponsive. I can also see frustrating AI using their weapons right at the end of the race (can't fault them for using a good strategy though).

All that being said, the demo was a lot of fun and reinforced my desire to buy this game.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
RockmanWhore said:
Any impression on the demo's loading times? :lol

Pretty annoying. They aren't too long, but they could be optimized better. Let's hope the final is better at loading.

In any case, the demo told me to wait a while on buying the game. LittleBigPlanet 2 is supposed to have a "race mode" so I'm not too sure how needed this is with the "Play, Create, Share" genre that Sony is making since LBP2 is going that way. Who knows. As it is, I'm interested (if they fix the load times) and it gets a bit cheaper/tracks are made.

jmd494

TheSeks said:
LittleBigPlanet 2 is supposed to have a "race mode" so I'm not too sure how needed this is with the "Play, Create, Share" genre that Sony is making since LBP2 is going that way.
If LBP2's race mode is anywhere NEAR MNR's, I'll eat my hat.

My press-kit got delivered today:

modnationpresspack.jpg

Can't wait to give it a try later tomorrow! I had lots of fun with the Beta. :D

Inside, there was also a PSP Review code. I'm going to London this weekend, so maybe I'll take my PSP with me to check that out as well.

Meohsix

WANT: Nathan Drake / Uncharted Pre-Order DLC CODE
HAVE: KRATOS / GOD OF WAR Pre-Order DLC CODE (come the 25th)

i wanted Nathan Drake and the uncharted stuff, but BestBuy is too far away so i had to pre order at Gamestop =/

if you want to swap codes send me a PM

RagnarokX

TheSeks said:
Pretty annoying. They aren't too long, but they could be optimized better. Let's hope the final is better at loading.

In any case, the demo told me to wait a while on buying the game. LittleBigPlanet 2 is supposed to have a "race mode" so I'm not too sure how needed this is with the "Play, Create, Share" genre that Sony is making since LBP2 is going that way. Who knows. As it is, I'm interested (if they fix the load times) and it gets a bit cheaper/tracks are made.
That would be like not buying Mario Kart because you have Super Off-Road...

This game out "Mario Karts" Mario Kart when it comes to dropping from 1st to 8th in a matter of seconds on the final turn of a race. Oy. Little too hectic for it's own good...

Also kinda sees like every weapon freezes you in your tracks. Not much variety, and it's annoying as hell to ALWAYS come to a dead-stop. Mario Kart gets it right in that most just slow you down, while only the blue shell really stops you completely.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
RagnarokX said:
That would be like not buying Mario Kart because you have Super Off-Road...

Speaking of Mario Kart...

Blur felt like that compared to this. So *shrug* I'd get Blur over ModNation.

My point being, there is a race mode in LBP2 that (depending on how well it impliments) will give me "track creation" that ModNation does. As it is, I can't really see myself playing MNR for months like I did LBP. Who knows, though: Maybe the community will pull something out of the engine that makes it more than a racer track creation kit.

(Also: I have gotten out of the track in the test mode and couldn't get back into the track unless I left the "test track." Makes me wonder if there is a "put out-of-bounds racer back on track" in the game for other peoples creations if they don't test them properly [and going by LBP, this may happen a lot])

RagnarokX

CartridgeBlower said:
This game out "Mario Karts" Mario Kart when it comes to dropping from 1st to 8th in a matter of seconds on the final turn of a race. Oy. Little too hectic for it's own good...

Also kinda sees like every weapon freezes you in your tracks. Not much variety, and it's annoying as hell to ALWAYS come to a dead-stop. Mario Kart gets it right in that most just slow you down, while only the blue shell really stops you completely.
Blue shell, ,bob-omb, red shell, green shell, lightning bolt, lightning cloud, bullet bill, etc. They all pretty much stop you when they hit.

CartridgeBlower said:

FUCK!

RagnarokX

TheSeks said:
Speaking of Mario Kart...

Blur felt like that compared to this. So *shrug* I'd get Blur over ModNation.

My point being, there is a race mode in LBP2 that (depending on how well it impliments) will give me "track creation" that ModNation does. As it is, I can't really see myself playing MNR for months like I did LBP. Who knows, though: Maybe the community will pull something out of the engine that makes it more than a racer track creation kit.

(Also: I have gotten out of the track in the test mode and couldn't get back into the track unless I left the "test track." Makes me wonder if there is a "put out-of-bounds racer back on track" in the game for other peoples creations if they don't test them properly [and going by LBP, this may happen a lot])
the point is that Modnation Racers is an over the shoulder cart racing game. In LBP2 the race they showed as an example is a top down view with no camera rotation.

I forget which buttons, but you can self destruct if you get stuck in an area where the game won't automatically respawn you. The game will respawn you if you get far enough away from the track, but sometimes cliffs and stuff get in the way.

RagnarokX said:
Blue shell, ,bob-omb, red shell, green shell, lightning bolt, lightning cloud, bullet bill, etc. They all pretty much stop you when they hit.

Did you even read my post?

Clear difference between 'slowing you down' and 'stopping you completely.'

Gameboy415

I just saw this (PS3 version) for sale at Target and didn't even realize it was out a WEEK early!

I totally would have bought it if I had money...

JardeL

magicaltrevor said:

modnationpresspack.jpg

Inside, there was also a PSP Review code. I'm going to London this weekend, so maybe I'll take my PSP with me to check that out as well.
I hate all of you. I want press-kits too. :(

RagnarokX

CartridgeBlower said:

Did you even read my post?

Clear difference between 'slowing you down' and 'stopping you completely.'

How can this game already have a defense force when it's not even out?
I said that they stop you... Blue shells, bullet bills, and bob-ombs launch you into the air and you hop in place for a while. Shells make you tumble end over end and come to a short stop. Lightning is worse than stopping; you slow down for a long period of time.

RagnarokX said:
I said that they stop you... Blue shells, bullet bills, and bob-ombs launch you into the air and you hop in place for a while. Shells make you tumble end over end and come to a short stop. Lightning is worse than stopping; you slow down for a long period of time.

Dude, this game's weapons halt you so bad in your tracks that half the time after you're hit a loading screen comes on before it lets you continue. That is borderline ridiculous.

RagnarokX

CartridgeBlower said:
Dude, this game's weapons halt you so bad in your tracks that half the time after you're hit a loading screen comes on before it lets you continue. That is borderline ridiculous.
Nothing worse than Mario Kart. They're about on par. The hydra can blow up your kart and make you respawn. Drift and use the shield.

Wait, this is a full-priced retail release? From watching the preview videos I somehow thought it was a PSN game.

I'll go download the demo but it will have to knock my socks off with all the other games coming out.

Dr. Zoidberg said:
Wait, this is a full-priced retail release? From watching the preview videos I somehow thought it was a PSN game.

I'll go download the demo but it will have to knock my socks off with all the other games coming out.

Yeah a full 59.99 PS3 Blu-Ray release. Though the PSP version is budget priced at just $29.99 (PSN and retail)

Cruzader

Banned
magicaltrevor said:

modnationpresspack.jpg

That would of been a sick Collector's edition or something.

Top Bottom