• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mohammad Morsi declared winner of Egyptian Elections!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smellycat

Morsi: 13,230,181 votes( 51.73%)
Shafiq: 12,347,380 votes( 48.27%)

Crowd Reaction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9icOJsisXY

multiple reactions from different places, including press:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdJk8xgU4SA&t=1m49s

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/24/world/africa/egypt-politics/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Cairo (CNN) -- Mohamed Morsi was declared the new president of Egypt on Sunday in an announcement that triggered massive cheers in Cairo's Tahrir Square.
Morsi, of the Muslim Brotherhood, beat out Ahmed Shafik, who served as the last prime minister under ousted President Hosni Mubarak.
Morsi had more than 13 million votes, while Shafik had more than 12 million, election officials announced.
Both candidates had already declared victory in the hours before announcement.

Authorities in Egypt had been on "high alert" in advance of the announcement, concerned about what could happen if Shafik won. Officials had said they were ready to carry out long-standing policy of using deadly force against people who attack government buildings, officials said.
Instead, the streets of Cairo were filled with celebration -- even in scorching temperatures near 100 Fahrenheit.
The square was the site of mass protests last year that toppled Mubarak.
The presidential race brought Egypt's first democratic elections, which the United States described as historic. But the campaigns of both Shafik and Morsi accused each other of election fraud.
The Muslim Brotherhood announced in advance Sunday that it would stage a long-term protest if Shafik was declared the winner.
The announcement came amid heightened concerns that Shafik would give new life to the old guard and essentially nullify democratic gains since last year's revolution ended Mubarak's 30 years of rule.
"Did we really have a revolution if Shafik wins?" prominent novelist Alaa al-Aswany said via Twitter. "For the thousandth time this is not a battle between the military and the (Muslim) Brotherhood, it is a battle of the Egyptian people with the military regime that ruled us with an iron fist for 60 years."
Like Mubarak, Shafik is a former air force officer with close ties to Egypt's powerful military and is "the quintessential candidate of the counter-revolution," said Khaled Elgindy, a visiting fellow at the Brookings Institution in Washington.
Morsi, an American-educated engineer, "represents the older, more conservative wing of the Brotherhood and openly endorses a strict Islamic vision," said Isobel Coleman of the Council on Foreign Relations.
But in an interview with CNN, Morsi said, "There is no such thing called an Islamic democracy. There is democracy only. ... The people are the source of authority."
A national security officer predicted violence if Shafik is declared the victor.
"In the event of Shafik's win, we expect some trouble on the street and in Tahrir (Square), which will be met with an iron hand according to the instructions we have received," said Lt. Col. Usama Emam.
"We are on high alert and so far there has not been any evidence of an imminent threat or plan of sabotage from any Islamist extremist groups," Emam said. He added that Egyptian authorities have arrested "elements" of the Palestinian group Hamas over the past week since Egypt's military rulers isued "de facto martial law and we are still tracking some of their fugitive members who had entered mainly through Sinai and made their way to Cairo."
More than 1,800 ambulances have been dispatched across the country as a proactive measure, the state-run EgyNews agency reported. It also said the country's interior ministry stressed the need to respect peaceful demonstrations.
But the ministry also said it would not tolerate any turmoil against authorities after Sunday's pivotal announcement.
"Minister Mohamed Ibrahim has given police forces orders to shoot to kill against anyone attempting to attack police stations after the results," interior ministry spokesman Gen. Marwan Mustapha said, reiterating government policy in such circumstances. "Increased security has been dispersed in the side streets of (Cairo's) Tahrir Square to protect government buildings."
The Muslim Brotherhood vowed it would stage "a long-term, open-end sit-in at Tahrir Square," complete with bathroom facilities made of bricks, daily food supply and tight security at the entrances of the square, said Jihad Haddad, a political adviser to the Muslim Brotherhood. Haddad cited the Brotherhood's disapproval of the ruling military body's new constitutional decree and de facto martial law.
Egypt's all-powerful military leaders have said they won't reverse their widely deplored constitutional and judicial changes and also cautioned against election-related unrest.
"We will face anyone who will pose a challenge to the public and private sectors with an iron fist," the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF) said.
Egypt's constitutional court dissolved the lower house of parliament this month, extending the military's power and sparking accusations of a coup d'etat.
Both presidential candidates claim victory in Egypt
Adding to the electoral tension is the question of how much power the new president will actually wield now that the military council has full legislative authority.
Under an interim constitutional declaration, the military council retains the power to make laws and budget decisions until a new constitution is written and a new parliament elected.
The declaration said Supreme Council members "shall decide all matters related to military affairs, including the appointment of its leaders." The president has the power to declare war, it says, but only "after the approval" of the Supreme Council.
The military council said it does not favor one political entity over another and respects the rights of Egyptians to protest but stressed the importance of self-restraint and respect for authority.
The Supreme Council urged political entities to respect democracy and "abstain from all possible acts that may descend the country into a full chaos."
Egyptian reform leader Mohamed ElBaradei -- the former head of the United Nations nuclear watchdog agency and a Nobel Peace Prize laureate -- warned that if Shafik was declared the winner, "we are in for a lot of instability and violence ... a major uprising."
He said there were fewer security concerns about a Morsi victory because Shafik supporters were unlikely to take their anger to the streets.
ElBaradei described the current situation as "a total, complete 100% mess."
Mohamed Mahsoob, a law professor at Menofiya University and a member of the El Wasat Party, tweeted: "The revolution will succeed, even if the newly elected president is below expectations because we will have the right to change him. But the revolution will not succeed if we have a president from the old regime that we toppled because he will working on seizing it back (and) reversing the accomplishments."
Why Mubarak's death wouldn't change Egypt's future
Amr Moussa, who served as foreign minister under Mubarak and mounted an effort to win the presidency in these elections, said "the next Egyptian president must call upon everyone to stand united as one." According to state-run news agency MENA, Moussa called on the new president "to head an emergency government of technocrats" that would last six to 12 months.

Lesiroth

Many people will instantly frown on someone from the MB winning this, but he's an order of an magnitude better than the other option.

I'm happy for Egyptians, but it doesn't mean much as long as military has power over civilian government, as it does now. The military dissolved the frickin parliament, for crying out loud. This is far from over.

Stridone

Banned
You can't go wrong with the Muslim Brotherhood! Glad Egypt now has democratically chosen suppression of rights.

EDIT: Not implying the alternative is better by the way.

aaaahhhm, I don't like discussing politics much, but those of you who think Morsi is the "lesser of evils", well let's just say the next few months will be interesting :S

Chrono

Banned
So how long will the military be there before they pack up and leave like Mubarak?

Such a shame the Egyptian people won't get the government they voted for because of the military, they more than deserve Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood.

Mohonky

Isnt this group for Shariah law, segregation of men / women, seperate curriculum for boys and girls etc?

I'm not sure how this is a good thing?

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Well, Egypt.. still fucked.

... just this time they freely elected their future oppressor! Good job!

Any hot scoops you're willing to share?

Heh, not much that would blow people away I suppose.

His campaign ran on a major fear-mongering theme that utilized the gullibility of the lower-class. Sheiks in Mosques who endorsed him would say that they saw the Prophet in their dreams, and he endorsed Morsi, which would lead to thunderous applause. He would then conclude that if you did not vote for Morsi, you're going to Hell.

This theme was utilized by various campaign channels. And of course, there's the "extremist" angle. That won't go down nicely.

As moderate as Morsi likes to claim the party is, that word can only be applied to him. The Brotherhood as a collective is known for extremist policies.

Yeah this too. Even if Morsi tries to be moderate, the brotherhood will not allow him to. I suspect their aspirations are much too big to be thwarted by one man.

I counted exactly one woman in the first video. No reson to celebrate at all. Egypt's future is between a military or an islamic dictatorship. Most pathetic result of a "successfull" revolution ever?

I counted exactly one woman in the first video. No reson to celebrate at all. Egypt's future is between a military or an islamic dictatorship. Most pathetic result of a "successfull" revolution ever?

French Revolution got rid of a dictator only to bring in another dictator, Napoleon. This seems to be going pretty badly.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
French Revolution got rid of a dictator only to bring in another dictator, Napoleon. This seems to be going pretty badly.

Hey it was a long process. People who think Egypt, or the ME, will not change over time don't realize they are still human beings.

Things have changed already, just more in some countries than others. Give it time.

The only variable is how much human suffering there will be in the meantime.

I can sleep sound at night knowing that. There is no fast solution for the ME, only generational changes and mass media consumption.

Mohonky

Nope, i dont think this will be Egypt exclusive. Libya isnt exactly great, especially if your a nigerian. The problem with these revolutions in the Middle East right now is your just as likely to get another pack of crazies in Government, it seems there are more extremist groups waiting in the wings, democratically voted or not, it doesnt make them any better.

.......and again, religion should be seperated from politics but that entire region, thats just never going to happen.

Measley

Non-Egyptians really shouldn't pass judgement. The majority wanted a more Islamic government, and they got one. Democracy ftw!

womfalcs3

Banned
Islamic civilization practiced democracy when Europe was filled with absolute monarchies. Islam and democracy are more than just compatible.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
GAF applauds deeply theocratic party coming to power, news at 11

Nope, i dont think this will be Egypt exclusive. Libya isnt exactly great, especially if your a nigerian. The problem with these revolutions in the Middle East right now is your just as likely to get another pack of crazies in Government, it seems there are more extremist groups waiting in the wings, democratically voted or not, it doesnt make them any better.

.......and again, religion should be seperated from politics but that entire region, thats just never going to happen.

Yeah this too. Even if Morsi tries to be moderate, the brotherhood will not allow him to. I suspect their aspirations are much too big to be thwarted by one man.

Well, Egypt.. still fucked.

... just this time they freely elected their future oppressor! Good job!

Isnt this group for Shariah law, segregation of men / women, seperate curriculum for boys and girls etc?

I'm not sure how this is a good thing?

Ugh... You choose one shit over the other...

Egyptian women must be stoked.

Finally, a president that will give women a fair shake.

aaaahhhm, I don't like discussing politics much, but those of you who think Morsi is the "lesser of evils", well let's just say the next few months will be interesting :S

You can't go wrong with the Muslim Brotherhood! Glad Egypt now has democratically chosen suppression of rights.

EDIT: Not implying the alternative is better by the way.

Yes, GAF - please contain your unbridled joy.

CrazyDude

Islamic civilization practiced democracy when Europe was filled with absolute monarchies. Islam and democracy are more than just compatible.

Just because it was the case than, doesn't mean it's the case now. It was also shaky at best even in the past. Even in the past, that early democracy was shaky at best, and it soon turned into monarchs.

Not the ideal result obviously, but it was either him or a return to the old regime of military dictatorship.

What's important right now isn't who got elected or what party is in power. What is crucial beyond anything else right now is the drafting of the new (hopefully secular) constitution, the implementation of checks and balances against power and putting in place the laws and institutions to ensure the future continuation of the democratic process. I'm going to wait and see what Morsi tries to do before claiming to have a crystal ball into Egypt's future.

Cromat

It's for the best. The faster Islamists prove their ideas are ridiculous and out of touch with the modern world the better. This way a true liberal, democratic alternative that isn't connected to the old corrupt regime has a chance to appear.

genjiZERO

You know I don't know how I feel about "democracy" in Egypt. Democracy requires more than just 'majority rules'. It requires 'majority rules with minority rights'. It seems to me that democracy without protection for minorities is no democracy at all. I also get the impression that Islamist parties are unaware of this point. If the Muslim Brotherhood has power in Egypt what's going to happen to the Copt population? So it's wonderful that people can have democracy, but if the price of democracy is the suppression of innocent populations - I'm conflicted on whether I think it's a positive thing or not. I'm open to being educated on the subject if you'd like to enlighten me.

AntoneM

Non-Egyptians really shouldn't pass judgement. The majority wanted a more Islamic government, and they got one. Democracy ftw!

huh?

Non-Americans shouldn't pass judgement...
Non-Greeks shouldn't pass judgement...
Non-Israelis shouldn't pass judgement...

Unless you're talking about tribal political arrangements, which are not particularly tied to Islam or anything, this isn't remotely true.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Won't mean shit that he has won. The military have been consolidating power since last year and are the ones in control.

Kurtofan

Do people say the same shit when the Republican party or other religion oriented right wing party gets in power?

It was Islamic candidate or dictatorship candidate, next election hopefully there won't be dozens of secular/moderates candidates who divide the vote and allow former Mubarak ministers to reach the second round.

genjiZERO

Do people say the same shit when the Republican party or other religion oriented right wing party gets in power?

It was Islamic candidate or dictatorship candidate, next election hopefully there won't be dozens of secular/moderates candidates who divide the vote and allow former Mubarak ministers to reach the second round.

Yes, it is a major concern, and people are pretty critical of it.

However, at a minimum, in the US, there's the the Establishment Clause of the Constitution that guarantees separation of Church and State, and considerable law - both statutory and judicial - that protects secularism as well. So there's at least some firepower to keep these people at bay.

Mohonky

That they did.

Then a hardliner got in power, started telling everyone science and mathematics and general open discussions on ethics and philosophy etc was not needed and everything they needed to know was in the Quran, and since then the birthplace of modern society has gone ass backwards ever since.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Found this on Reddit:

emreL.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom