• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mojang creating a game in 60 hours for charity - Humble Bundle Mojam

TheExodu5

Banned
What's engine/library is he using to draw the world? I love seeing the OO structure, but would really love to get down and dirty with the code.

Is there any chance he makes the code public afterwards?

edit: gah, his cam window is covering the object outline. :(

Gomu Gomu

Did not know of this! Super useful for me, since I'd like to eventually work on my own game, but would prefer using Java as I'm a Java developer by profession.

I have an elective course, called Computer Graphics, which covers OpenGL for Java. And this is the best library for that, I've been told.

vitacola

I have an elective course, called Computer Graphics, which covers OpenGL for Java. And this is the best library for that, I've been told.
Would have been great, if our lecturer told us something useful like that. So we only modelled something with 3ds Max and "learned" something about colours and graphic formats ... (it was probably the third time someone mentioned jpg, gif, png and colour models).

bengraven

It's always been like that for the Humble Bundle. An explanation that I hear often is that Linux users are grateful when games are released on their platform and want to show their appreciation through large payments. Mac users are in a similar situation and are more likely to be well off.

That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking. "Oh thank god they're making a game for my platform - open wallets..."

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking. "Oh thank god they're making a game for my platform - open wallets..."

It's the only venue that Linux gamers have to show their interest in gaming, too. Even though they consistently represent at least the same number of Mac users, they're taken way less seriously.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Bullets and enemy feedback:

bwR71.jpg

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
1 vs 1 including manly massage:

z33M5.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
I could not code with someone live-streaming my monitor, dear lord.
This is one of the things that impressed me most about Notch during the Ludum Dare sessions. He livestreamed his monitor, coded/did art etc. like crazy most of the time, and mostly ignored the crazy comments on the stream. He seems to be pretty good at really buckling down to focus when he needs to.

Rapstah

This is one of the things that impressed me most about Notch during the Ludum Dare sessions. He livestreamed his monitor, coded/did art etc. like crazy most of the time, and mostly ignored the crazy comments on the stream. He seems to be pretty good at really buckling down to focus when he needs to.

Well that or he doesn't have the chat window open.

vitacola

It's the only venue that Linux gamers have to show their interest in gaming, too. Even though they consistently represent at least the same number of Mac users, they're taken way less seriously.
Probably because most of the devs/publishers think, "hey, they won't pay for their OS, so they won't pay for their games either". And AMD doesn't give a shit about Linux and the support of their graphics card either. I can't run my Netbook (Fusion E-450) with the proprietary drivers of AMD, so I have to use the open drivers. Can't even play Binding of Isaac with it ...

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Probably because most of the devs/publishers think, "hey, they won't pay for their OS, so they won't pay for their games either". And AMD doesn't give a shit about Linux and the support of their graphics card either. I can't run my Netbook (Fusion E-450) with the proprietary drivers of AMD, so I have to use the open drivers. Can't even play Binding of Isaac with it ...

Well, the fact that they pay more should put the cheapskate idea to rest. And the video drivers for Macs were absolute crap before Valve brought Steam to the platform, too.

If Valve stepped into the space, things would absolutely change like it did for the Mac.

Toma

So because I am relatively poor and can only give <$5 I am cheap?
I thought the spirit of giving to charity is more like "every dollar counts"?

Dont take it too personal. He was probably referring to people who could easily afford more. But I still dont like the attitude anyway, since someone spending <5&#8364; on charity this time might have already donated more for another reason lately.

Additionally, its everyones own choice. If they make the bundle buyable with minimum amounts of money then no one should complain about it.

massoluk

Banned
So because I am relatively poor and can only give <$5 I am cheap?
I thought the spirit of giving to charity is more like "every dollar counts"?

Sorry if it comes out wrong, I was referring to Windows users being the least charitable.
EDIT: Windows team cheerleading gone wrong.

Dont take it too personal. He was probably referring to people who could easily afford more. But I still dont like the attitude anyway, since someone spending <5&#8364; on charity this time might have already donated more for another reason lately.

Additionally, its everyones own choice. If they make the bundle buyable with minimum amounts of money then no one should complain about it.

I don't take it personal. Charity is something which should be completely voluntary and no one should feel bad because they can't or don't want to give anything.
Sorry if it comes out wrong, I was referring to Windows users being the least charitable.
"Least charitable" is still "charitable". No reason to think less of them just because it's a few dollars less on avarage.

Max

I am not Max
What's the deal, Steampunk RTS wins so they go with the genre with the least votes, Egyptian Shmup?

Wha??

Blizzard

Banned
What's the deal, Steampunk RTS wins so they go with the genre with the least votes, Egyptian Shmup?

Wha??
All four genres were combined, that's the whole deal. The genre and theme with the most votes get combined with the genre and theme with the least votes. I'm pretty sure it was announced at the start.

...and I was too slow to answer. D:

All four genres were combined, that's the whole deal. The genre and theme with the most votes get combined with the genre and theme with the least votes. I'm pretty sure it was announced at the start.

...and I was too slow to answer. D:

Okay, I'm slightly more worried since this was designed by committee.

vitacola

Well, the fact that they pay more should put the cheapskate idea to rest. And the video drivers for Macs were absolute crap before Valve brought Steam to the platform, too.

If Valve stepped into the space, things would absolutely change like it did for the Mac.
nVidia seems to support Linux quiet well and AMD told the Linux world when they bought ATI that they will support it soon. Nothing like that happened. Probably you are right and it needs Steam/Valve to open AMD's eyes.

EDIT:
Oh, and did Notch/Mojang mention something what they will do with the source code of the games? I hope they'll upload it at humblebundle.com ...

dLMN8R

I just read something someone else said - anyone think this thing will end will all contributors getting a copy of Minecraft?

vitacola

The name of the Mojang game:

Catacomb Snatch
You can download the Windows check out a java web applet version now.

mtUg0.png

EDIT:
Well, it's a html page right now.

Haunted

Played the first build, shooting and enemy feedback already feels pretty good. I like the little recoil you get when shooting, that's a nice touch. Kinda fun to play for yourself what you've seen someone else code over the last couple hours. :D

Toma

Played the first build, shooting and enemy feedback already feels pretty good. I like the little recoil you get when shooting, that's a nice touch. Kinda fun to play for yourself what you've seen someone else code over the last couple hours. :D

Yup, cute. Also that the shot bubbles arent in a straight line and stray a little bit.

bengraven

Is that the Oxeye game? Or is Wolfire an additional game, making that 3 for Mojam? And what genre would it be?

Wolfire are the Lugaru/Overgrowth guy/s. He/they are making a third game, though they just kind of spontaneously started doing it and I haven't seen anything official on their blog.

Edit: wow, apparently Humble Bundle was Wolfire's creation. Did not know that, though that's how I got Lugaru. They did so well that they spun off and started the HB. I'm not sure if anyone with Wolfire still works with Humble Bundle, but it explains why they're helping a bit too.

Edit: also, lol at the Mojang guy doing pixel art and his Twitch ads in the corner are for an Egyptian jewelry maker.

Edit: also, lol at the Mojang guy doing pixel art and his Twitch ads in the corner are for an Egyptian jewelry maker.
Haha just noticed it myself as well.

dawn-of-the-second-day.jpg

Sure it's amazing what they've done in half a day, but still... so much work needed to be done... I would be stressed as fuck!

Edit: Haha the artist ranting about people claiming his work isn't steampunk enough :lol

Top Bottom