• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mole: Sony Has No More PS3 Test Kits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin

Mole: Sony Has No More PS3 Test Kits?

rodserlingps3.jpg

The PLAYSTATION 3's plight to store shelves has been surreal. If you think things have been hard on the consumer end, try making games for it. How bad have things been? For months, we've been hearing reports of Sony's lack of developer support. Worst yet, the company is now apparently running short on developer hardware and leaving everyone in the gray. Our Mole (no, not an Insider, a Mole) dishes:

Sony has run out of PS3 test kits to give to developers. Since the announcement of the European launch being delayed, nobody has any idea what's going to happen with the PS3 port of F.E.A.R... specially since we only have the one PS3. And it's a devkit. In case you haven't seen those things, they sound like giant vacuum cleaners. They're reportedly ridiculously complicated to use, specially when upgrading the firmware. It has just the one controller, and it's not even the proper PS3 one even! It doesn't have those "innovative" changes from the PS3 controller, it's just a Dual Shock 2 with a USB Mini port.

Somewhere in a Twilight Zone-like third dimension, all of this is going off without a hitch, I'm sure.

The Article:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/top/mole-sony-has...kits-199008.php

If this is true then holy crap. Lets Review:

-No More PS3 SDK's
-Crappy Loud Hardware
-No Tilt Sensors In SDK Controllers
-Very Hard To Use SDK
-F.E.A.R May Be Canned

What do you guys make of all this negative news lately? Will TGS be Sony's reckoning or will bad news continue to poor in?

i would refer Kotaku people to beyond3d forums where PS3 devs like nAo and deanoC hang out.....who say PS3 dev kits are quieter than PS2 dev kits :)

MAJOR FUD, REPORTING FOR DUTY, SIR!

Kevin

Kind of funny that you said that because someone I talked with said they where out against Wii. Personally I have no clue what to think. I thought they preferred Sony more but I could be mistaken.

Didn't 1Up and IGN both confirm that the "dev kits sound like vacuum cleaners/lawnmowers/whatever" to be false? Didn't the controller they show also have a functional console control button or whatever the addition that the 360 controlled inspired as well? Jeremy from IGN made a hands-on video even (but I'm not sure if I remember correctly that he brought the console options up while playing Untold Legends).

I don't put any weight on what Kotaku reports, but I'm curious nonetheless if my memory serves me correct or inaccurately.

Zaptruder

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
Two of those things are true.

-F.E.A.R May Be Canned

The first we already know from other developer reports.

The latter... seriously who gives a ****?

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Kevin said:
-Crappy Loud Hardware

Older dev kits, yes. Newer dev kits, no.

Older dev controllers, no tilt. Newer dev controllers, tilt.

-Very Hard To Use SDK

Maybe for Kotaku. Its designed for use by professional developers, not journalists.

Kotaku should not assume their setup or difficulty is indicative of what developers have or experience.

element

well test kits are different then devkits. at least in previous generations. I haven't seen a PS3 'test kit'. The first shipment might have been small if there are test kits.

updating the firmware is a pain though, compared to updating the XDK on Xbox 360.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Maybe for Kotaku. Its designed for use by professional developers, not journalists.
They call themselves Journalists now? :\

element said:
updating the firmware is a pain though, compared to updating the XDK on Xbox 360.
People that spend any significant amount of time updating SDK firmware should probably reconsider their career path, because they have seriously distorted view of development. Then again I know of some programmers that find some kind of perverse enjoyment(I can only suppose it's similar to how masochists and sadists do their thing) in periodically(on short periods) reinstalling their entire desktop as well.

Kangu

Banned
Mario said:
Older dev kits, yes. Newer dev kits, no.

Older dev controllers, no tilt. Newer dev controllers, tilt.

Kotaku should not assume their setup or difficulty is indicative of what developers have or experience.

Kotaku's about due for a ban me thinks.

Argyle

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Office quiet or living room quiet? A PC or console that seems very quiet in an office can seem quite loud in a living room.

How's this - it's definitely quieter than a retail 360...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Kobun Heat said:
It is, though. It's all like:

FSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSH

Like that.

The lack of bold tells me it can`t be THAT bad.

element said:
well test kits are different then devkits. at least in previous generations. I haven't seen a PS3 'test kit'. The first shipment might have been small if there are test kits.

I personally love the emulation and the features of the XDK. Its by far the easiest test software I have seen on dev. systems in quite a while

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
oldschoolpinball said:
I can wholeheartedly say that that article is a lie..but then again let it ride for the sake of conversation

You`ve gotta let shit like this slide. It`s almost Sony tradition now. I can still remember all the `PS2 is doomed!` articles way back.

TheTrin said:
You`ve gotta let shit like this slide. It`s almost Sony tradition now. I can still remember all the `PS2 is doomed!` articles way back.

I hear ya.One thing I have noticed is the rampant number of 'news sites' whos credibility lasts about as long as their google ads:lol

Vibri

Banned
Yeah - 90% of these bullshit Sony slur articles originate from this Brian Ashcraft wanker. I've spent a heck of a lot of time with the PS3 dev kit (way too much time actually) and this is basically bullshit.

I'm amazed 'websites' like Shitaku get away with this kind of stuff, in some other industries they could get sued for libel.

ZeMMiK

lol ..shitaku....

I think Sony is feeling a lot of heat in there neck from the competition, and it is a big challenge for them to deliver.
When are those devkits arrived? I think it was last August? Can somebody explain to me, is the 1st development done on normal PC's and then ported on this DEVKIT? (3rd parties I mean). Or do really need the devkit from the start to making a good engine?
I have the feeling just like 360, that the AAAgames come 1 year after launch of the PS3.

Mar

Mefisutoferesu said:
No no no, I think it's more of a FIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEE, in my opinion.

No, no. 'Aaaauugggh', at the back of the throat. Aaauugh.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Mr. TV Goggles said:
It might give us an idea how loud the PS3 will be?

So will the newer Dev kits that's as quiet as a slim-line PS2 a good indication on how quiet the PS3 will be now?

Double standard much?

Rhindle

The point of the post isn't how loud the kits are. The point is that some developers are apparently still stuck working with old hardware, two months before launch.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Rhindle said:
The point of the post isn't how loud the kits are. The point is that some developers are apparently still stuck working with old hardware, two months before launch.

AND??? Is this the first time this has ever happened in life?

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Rhindle said:

Xbox 360 says hi...

mckmas8808 said:
AND??? Is this the first time this has ever happened in life?
so what you're saying is... you believe Sony may have no more dev kits?

if true, it's not the first time it happened, but it's never a good thing.

man's wife dies. it's posted as bad news... people don't go 'yeah, but lots of people have had their wives die and go on to do just fine so what's the big deal?'.

if it was announced that microsoft had to recall all of their dev kits and were having trouble getting replacements out to devs... it'd be bad news.

yeah it's unfortunate that there's been a few pieces of bad news for sony fans of late, but hey, it's not just been bad news. the most recent Motorstorm shots are looking nice, DMC4 is looking really nice and both have longer threads right now giving credit where it's due... you don't have to damage control every small piece of bad news you know.

i'm sure Sony will do okay without your help ;)

BuddyC

plagiarize said:
man's wife dies. it's posted as bad news... people don't go 'yeah, but lots of people have had their wives die and go on to do just fine so what's the big deal?'.
Okay, that analogy caught me completely off guard. Not sure how relevant it is, but it's refreshing to see something new :lol

Vark

Well i'd imagine this is the usual case of some people have different rev's of hardware. Obviously launch people would be first in line for 'the new stuff' then they sort of cycle out old hardware (thats usually what happens anyway, I assume this is no different).

If the 'test kits' are like the PS2 ones then they'd have to have a blu-ray drive in them. And we already know that there's a shortage on the diodes. So while I doubt they'd run out of them it's entirely possible they might not be making enough of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom