• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mom sentenced for keeping son in 'torture chamber' for years

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is the father not complicit in this? Is this dude really gonna come at the police like "I had no idea this was going on under my roof for 7 years?"

Skyr

This is pure evil.. I'm speechless.
The father should absolutely be prosecuted too.
Nobody can tell me that you don't notice this shit going on over years living in the same goddamn house.

These stories are extra troubling because it seems like one comes out of the woodwork every few years, meaning there are likely to be more kids out there right now in similar situations that won't be discovered for a long while yet.

Please also ask people not to spout shit like they hope God gives him strength then. It isn't a one-way street.

How to respond when religious people make uplifting statements with positive intent about a sensitive situation when you are not a member of their religion: Appreciate their intent and move on.

How not to respond: Start a fight.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
You guys need to realize that the twin sister is being referenced by the Defense Attorney, who has an incentive to deflect.

Some quotes from an article when he was found

http://kutv.com/news/local/malnourished-12-year-old-boy-found-locked-in-bathroom-for-estimated-2-years

A Toquerville, Utah, woman has been arrested for aggravated child abuse after her 12-year-old son was found locked up in a bathroom and neglected for an estimated two years.

The mother was identified as 36-year-old Brandy Jaynes. The boy has been hospitalized.

The boy was found Sunday, Jan. 8, by his father, extremely malnourished. The boy was quickly taken to the hospital and after physicians looked at him Sunday night they found he weighs only 30 pounds.

The Associated Press reported that, according to Crouse, the two other children in the home said they had not spoken to their brother, even through the door, in six months. Police didn't say how old the other children were, but did say one was old enough to understand things.

The father was being brought up on charges too.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=43185182&nid=148&title=father-of-emaciated-boy-now-faces-child-abuse-charge

Russell and Brandy Jaynes are facing different levels of child abuse charges after their 12-year-old son was found locked in a bathroom, malnourished, and weighing only 30 pounds in January.

(KUTV) Both parents at the center of a disturbing child abuse case out of Toquerville, Utah, had court hearings Wednesday.

Russell and Brandy Jaynes are facing different levels of child abuse charges after their 12-year-old son was found locked in a bathroom, malnourished, and weighing only 30 pounds in January.

Brandy Jaynes had a hearing in the 5th District court in St. George Tuesday. Her preliminary hearing has been set for March 27 at 9 a.m. She faces second degree felony charges.

Russell Jaynes had his initial appearance since he was subpoenaed Feb. 14. But he couldn't make it to the hearing due to a prior engagement so the hearing was pushed back to later in the month on Feb. 28. He faces third degree felony charges.

According to court documents, 40-year-old Russel Jaynes faces one count of child abuse.

Prosecutor on the case, Angie Reddish-Day, said the evidence found for each parent is very different.

”The level of culpability is very, very different but because they are both parents they will be held accountable." Reddish-Day said.

The boy was found Sunday, Jan. 8, by his father.

I'm not sure if there is faulty reporting going on or not because this article says he was charged

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=43185182&nid=148&title=father-of-emaciated-boy-now-faces-child-abuse-charge

At the time, Russell Jaynes told police he had found his emaciated son lying on a blanket, locked in the upstairs bathroom.

But Jaynes' situation with his wife and family wasn't completely clear at the time of Brandy Jaynes' arrest, according to police. The two were reportedly married but separated. Police did not initially know whether the father lived in the house or when he had last seen his son prior to taking him to the hospital.

The only person I've seen say that the father lived there was the Defense Attorney, which again you can't trust

On Tuesday, Brandy Jaynes' defense attorney Edward Flint said Russell Jaynes knew exactly what was happening.

"There was no rescue here. He knew where this child was. There's no 'found' here. He knew where to find his child," he said.

Flint said Russell Jaynes was living in the house the entire time and was not separated from Brandy.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Horrifying. A little shocked the kid lived this long with that sort of long term treatment. And his twin sister being forced to participate... I can't imagine also growing up knowing you participated in the horrific torture of your twin.

This like something out of a horror movie or worse. I just can't comprehend the level of evil involved with this. The poor kid was 30 pounds? He must have been on the verge of death for some time.

DeviantBoi

How can the dad not have known for all these years?

Don't you want to see your son on his birthday, at the very least?!?

I would have pressed for a life sentence. A monster like this woman has no place in society. The father should get the same sentence. If he isn't being charged with anything then shame on the criminal justice system.

Preezy

How did I know you would deflect
Ok so seeing as there's not much discussion to be had on the back of the obviously horrible and tragic OP story, let's go into this a bit deeper. If people insist on invoking their imaginary friend to give a traumatised child "strength" then they also have to accept that their all-powerful god could (and should, no?) have saved this kid from the horrific situation they were in at any point during their suffering. But their fancy god didn't do this. And never does. And yet they never acknowledge this. They'd much rather just spout a lip-service phrase and think that somehow comes across as well-meaning or insightful, when in fact it comes across as disgustingly myopic. So bugger off with asking that god to help after the kid has managed to escape that personal hell, and bugger off with not expecting people to get called out for that shit. Does my nut in and I'll fight it whenever I see it.

*fedora thrown*

Nephtis

This is one of those cases where I'd be COMPLETELY ok with the mother spending the rest of her miserable life in solitary confinement. She does not deserve to ever see another human again, and certainly does not deserve ever stepping outside of her cell.

The father should also have some kind of responsibility in all this. How do you go that long without knowledge of what's happening?

Ok so seeing as there's not much discussion to be had on the back of the obviously horrible and tragic OP story, let's go into this a bit deeper. If people insist on invoking their imaginary friend to give a traumatised child "strength" then they also have to accept that their all-powerful god could (and should, no?) have saved this kid from the horrific situation they were in at any point during their suffering. But their fancy god didn't do this. And never does. And yet they never acknowledge this. They'd much rather just spout a lip-service phrase and think that somehow comes across as well-meaning or insightful, when in fact it comes across as disgustingly myopic. So bugger off with asking that god to help after the kid has managed to escape that personal hell, and bugger off with not expecting people to get called out for that shit. Does my nut in and I'll fight it whenever I see it.

*fedora thrown*

In an atheist. The fact that you typed all of this out when it should be understood I already kniw this, is telling

*Throw it further and resists picking it up again*

Monocle

Whoa a hat just randomly sailed in through my open window. What in the world?

*fedora thrown*
Disgusting fundamentalist atheist, making a coherent statement on the internet.

Preezy

This is one of those cases where I'd be COMPLETELY ok with the mother spending the rest of her miserable life in solitary confinement. She does not deserve to ever see another human again, and certainly does not deserve ever stepping outside of her cell.
It is interesting to consider what sort of rehabilitation they can offer to someone this sadistic and seemingly inhuman, and whether or not it would be a worthwhile endeavour. Can people like this ever be "fixed"?

zeemumu

This sounds like A Child Called It, jesus christ.

Hope the kid can get better and recover enough emotionally to be able to love a somewhat normal life. He'd make a helluva motivational speaker.

That book was the first thing that I thought of too, where the mom locked the kid in the bathroom with a bucket full of chemicals and stuffed towels into the cracks of the door to make an improvised gas chamber.

How was the father not charge with negligence at the very least? There's no way he didn't know what was going on. "I lived on a different floor" is a shitty-ass excuse. On top of that, the twin sister's probably going to either grow up into another version of her mom since she was enlisted in the torture. Probably wouldn't occur to ta 7 year old to ask why their sibling is being kept in a makeshift dungeon.

Kinda makes you wonder why God didn't give him the strength to escape in the first place, huh? I guess he just works in mysterious ways.
Your fingers must be hurting from having tipped your fedora so hard.
Edit:

*fedora thrown*
Ah so your *that* guy in thanksgiving dinners.

It is interesting to consider what sort of rehabilitation they can offer to someone this sadistic and seemingly inhuman, and whether or not it would be a worthwhile endeavour. Can people like this ever be "fixed"?

As someone who deals with and generally advocates for such rehabilitation, sadism is one of the only characteristics where I draw the line. Even people who commit the worst crimes, like murder or rape, are still salvageable as long as they aren't sadists.

A sadist/torturer operates at a level of depravity that directly conflicts with the nature and interests of a healthy society. I'm certain that they could be "fixed" through radical, and likely unethical, operations or treatments, but no institution would authorize them.

In an ideal world, sadism would be a prerequisite for long-term imprisonment.

Reminds me of stories about feral children, either abandoned or completely deprived of regular human contact. It takes a long time for these kids to ever get anywhere near "normality" but it seems like this kid might do ok, which is probably the best you could ask for. Seems like a real fucked up situation for the entire family, but there is no forgiving the sadism of the mother under any circumstance, ever.

Its astonishing that the whole family took part in this insanity. Poor child. I hope he recovers well and lives with a family who will love him.

Preezy

As someone who deals with and generally advocates for such rehabilitation, sadism is one of the only characteristics where I draw the line. Even people who commit the worst crimes, like murder or rape, are still salvageable as long as they aren't sadists.

A sadist/torturer operates at a level of depravity that directly conflicts with the nature and interests of a healthy society. I'm certain that they could be "fixed" through radical, and likely unethical, operations or treatments, but no institution would authorize them.

In an ideal world, sadism would be a prerequisite for long-term imprisonment.
Must be pretty terrifying to come face to face with someone like that, like trying to talk to an alien or something.

This story has me legitimately heartbroken.

There needs to be a way to force parents to have their children seen by a physician every 6 months, or at least yearly.

Mathieran

Banned
He was 30 lbs... jfc she is a monster.

My 3 year old son is about 30 pounds and he is small for his age.

The while "I felt overwhelmed" excuse is such bullshit. All parents feel overwhelmed. A proper response is to put on a movie, or send outside to play or something like that. It's crazy that true evil can lives in our neighborhoods and most of us wouldn't be any the wiser.

EVO

I don't know what's more fucked up, the horrible torture or the fact that somehow the father isnt behind bars too.

Ernest

Banned
Poor guy, he's going to have to live with some serious trauma, both psychological trauma and physical trauma, for the rest of his life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom