• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mom sentenced for keeping son in 'torture chamber' for years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Holy fucking shit.. Lock up the god damn Father & twin sister too. WTF...
The twin sister is the victim's, not the mother's, sister. She's a kid too. Though if she, somehow, wasn't abused and is now 12 years old she is old enough to understand something's wrong, but yeah it's unclear what culpability, if any, she has. Probably very little or none, though, she must have been very young when the abuse of her brother started, and it would have surely fucked her up too.

The father though? Hell yes.

I can't fathom how such a thing even happens. It's absolutely mind-boggling.

Good.

I work with a kid who went through similar. 7 years chained to a bed by her grandmother and regularly sexually abused by her uncle. When she came in she looked like a holocaust victim, all bones and skin, about 65 pounds at 13 years old. We had to spend hours encouraging her to eat. She was cognitively at toddler level. This happens more often than you'd think.
That's so horrifying. Holy fuck. :( I hope she recovered somehow, but I can't imagine how.

Ok so seeing as there's not much discussion to be had on the back of the obviously horrible and tragic OP story, let's go into this a bit deeper. If people insist on invoking their imaginary friend to give a traumatised child "strength" then they also have to accept that their all-powerful god could (and should, no?) have saved this kid from the horrific situation they were in at any point during their suffering. But their fancy god didn't do this. And never does. And yet they never acknowledge this. They'd much rather just spout a lip-service phrase and think that somehow comes across as well-meaning or insightful, when in fact it comes across as disgustingly myopic. So bugger off with asking that god to help after the kid has managed to escape that personal hell, and bugger off with not expecting people to get called out for that shit. Does my nut in and I'll fight it whenever I see it.

*fedora thrown*
Yeah, well, it's not socially acceptable to criticize empty religious platitudes when they are "well-meaning", even though it totally should be because people really should give their words more thought. Sorry, you're gonna be the bad guy (cue all the fedora whining) in this discussion, as stupid as it is.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Please don't create threads about news stories whose sole point is to horrify and appall people. This applies equally to stories about horrible events and to random, petty local tragedies of no greater significance. It makes people's experience of our community worse if they have to tiptoe in between threads about mundane atrocities just to participate in the OT. Real news stories of cultural import are fine, even when they're about something horrific happening, but if the right response to a story is mostly just "wow that's awful" it probably shouldn't get a thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom