• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

mom who glued toddler's hands to wall, sentenced to 99 years in prison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dram

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-mother-sentencing-hands-glued-20121012,0,6904031.story

A Dallas judge sentenced a young mother to 99 years in prison Friday after she admitted to super-gluing her toddler’s hands to a wall and beating the girl so severely she ended up in a coma, officials said.

Escalona, 23, pleaded guilty on July 12 to injury to a child. Prosecutor Eren Price had sought a 45-year sentence, while Escalona had hoped for probation. The judge, however, nearly doubled the prosecution's recommendation, citing the brutality of the attacks.

“The prosecutor said Elizabeth Escalona wasn’t sorry for what she did. She was sorry for herself, not the child she tortured," Denmon said. “Her children now have a chance to lead a productive life.”

Escalona will have to serve 30 years before she becomes eligible for parole, Denmon said.

During the sentencing hearing, which started Monday, Escalona took the stand in her own defense, admitted that she abused her 2-year-old daughter Jocelyn Cedillo and pleaded for leniency.

"I hit her, I kicked her constantly and she didn't deserve that," Escalona said, confirming that she glued the girl’s hands to the wall, according to the Dallas Morning News. But, she added, “I want everybody to know that I'm not a monster. I love my kids.”

Escalona, a mother of five, said she was molested, abused by boyfriends, and was a recovering marijuana and cocaine addict. She was raising her children on child support payments in a one-bedroom apartment with bed bugs, according to the Dallas Morning News.

Escalona has admitted to becoming so frustrated with Jocelyn's “potty training issue” on Sept. 7, 2011, that she glued the toddler to the wall of their apartment and beat her, according to testimony at sentencing hearings which started on Monday.

Escalona called her mother, crying and hysterical, according to police records. The older woman found Jocelyn unresponsive on the floor beside a bed in her daughter’s northwest Dallas apartment and rushed Jocelyn to a hospital. The girl survived and is now living with Escalona's mother, Ofelia Escalona, who testified on her daughter’s behalf.

Prosecutors countered that Elizabeth Escalona was a dangerous juvenile delinquent who had indeed grown into a monster. They played recordings in court of Escalona as a teenager threatening to kill her mother, noting that she was a former gang member who started smoking marijuana at age 11.

Evidence photos displayed in court showed Jocelyn with numerous bruises, cuts and bite marks shortly after she was brought to Children’s Medical Center Dallas, where she remained in a coma for two days, Denmon said.

The toddler appears to have recovered from her injuries, although Denmon said it’s too early to tell if she has lasting brain damage.

After Escalona’s arrest, Jocelyn and her three siblings were placed in foster care, then with Ofelia Escalona. A fifth child, a boy born while Elizabeth Escalona was in jail, was also placed with her mother, Denmon said.

Both Escalona and her mother have been investigated by the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services, Denmon said, but the investigations did not result in criminal charges.

Ferrio

Banned
99 years for supergluing, that's way too...

A Dallas judge sentenced a young mother to 99 years in prison Friday after she admitted to super-gluing her toddler’s hands to a wall and beating the girl so severely she ended up in a coma, officials said.

Carry on.

Veezy

que?
"I hit her, I kicked her constantly and she didn't deserve that," Escalona said, confirming that she glued the girl’s hands to the wall, according to the Dallas Morning News. But, she added, “I want everybody to know that I'm not a monster. I love my kids.”

I just don't see how gluing your child's hands to the wall and beating them till they're in a coma makes any sense.

Look, if a parent gets pissed and backhands their kid, I get that. It's not right, but I get it.

Gluing their fucking hands to a wall? Comatose after the ass beating? Yeah, you're a monster.

Menelaus

Banned
Just this morning, Dallas radio was talking about how she might get away with just probation. I'm honestly shocked at the 99 years, but she fully deserves it.

giga

resource.aspx

Escalona's other children told authorities their mother attacked Jocelyn due to potty training problems. Police say she kicked her daughter in the stomach, beat her with a milk jug, then stuck her hands to an apartment wall with an adhesive commonly known as Super Glue.

Jocelyn suffered bleeding in her brain, a fractured rib, multiple bruises and bite marks, a doctor testified. Some skin had been torn off her hands, where doctors also found glue residue and white paint chips from the apartment wall.

Poor thing.

NoRéN

99 years for supergluing, that's way too...

Carry on.
Seriously.
Evidence photos displayed in court showed Jocelyn with numerous bruises, cuts and bite marks shortly after she was brought to Children’s Medical Center Dallas, where she remained in a coma for two days, Denmon said.

Who the fuck bites a child?

CrazyDude

Why didn't you mention the coma part in the title OP? Now we have to deal with people talking about it being too harsh.

Nah man, I'm pretty sure that you're a monster. Stay in jail forever.

Sucks the mother seemingly had a shit childhood which no doubt gave her inadequate tools to handle being an adult, but I can't disagree with the sentence.

Yeah the sentence is 99 years but there will eventually at least be parole opportunities.

marrec

Banned
Jesus Christ I hate articles like these. It makes me go home and hug my son extra hard.

But not too hard.

Kuroyume

Banned
Yeah, coma and super glue is rough and all but 99 is still way excessive. You have murderers and child molesters getting less. Sandusky molested groups of kids and got 60 years... Yeah he'll be dead before he gets to the end but the point is that they essentially get the same sentence even though I'd argue he did something way worse.

UrbanRats

The title is a bit misleading.
Anyway, life in prison seems illogical, compared to what they give to murderers and such.
Yeah, i don't have sympathy for her either, but that is very much beyond the point, i don't think law should be applied on a question of sympathy.

akira28

She doesn't need all that jailtime, she needs years of therapy, and forced tubal ligature. And some moderate jailtime. And some fucking education, because she sounds dumb as shit. But we're ok with that. And ultimately we're ok with her abusing her kids, but god help us if she somehow escapes punishment tho.

By that time, her kids and grandkids will all be dead or dying...

15 years, sure, or something similar, but this is atrocious. The system wasn't designed to be this punitive.

Did you read the part where she gave birth to her 5th in prison.

Its better if she can be kept away to lower the probability of her breeding and giving her a chance to abuse another innocent child.

I LOLed at gluing her hands to a wall (just sounds so ridiculous), but beating her until she went into a coma...wow.

Overall this is the best thing that could ever happen to the kid, provided she doesn't have any lasting brain damage. He mom was a monster.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
"and beating the girl so severely she ended up in a coma" is probably the more important thing to fit into the title.

i was ok with 99 years until i saw the picture. i want 99 years and a beating now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom