• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

mom who glued toddler's hands to wall, sentenced to 99 years in prison

Status
Not open for further replies.

VALIS

A Dallas judge sentenced a young mother to 99 years in prison Friday after she admitted to super-gluing her toddler’s hands to a wall

Well that seems a little severe.

and beating the girl so severely she ended up in a coma

Ohh. OK then. Enjoy the rest of your life in prison.

edit: looks like i was hardly the only person who went through these steps

If the child hadn't fallen into a coma and the women were arrested and sentenced to jail, I'm guessing we'd get quite a few "I was beaten as a kid, and it set me straight" posts.

Probably.

I'm not sure how anyone can say a 99 year sentence is reasonable. You wouldn't get that much for a murder charge.

VALIS

Probably.

I'm not sure how anyone can say a 99 year sentence is reasonable. You wouldn't get that much for a murder charge.

Because the victim is a child. In a society that doesn't shock easily anymore, child abuse is still way up there in terms of outrage.

Cyan

Banned
Because the victim is a child. In a society that doesn't shock easily anymore, child abuse is still way up there in terms of outrage.

Exactly. We get to crazy sentencing like this because over time, what seems like a normal sentence shifts upwards. And in cases like these that get us immediately emotional, we want extraordinary sentencing relative to what seems normal to us.

Because we should be leading by example and not becoming like them. It's pretty hypocritical sentencing someone to be tortured for torturing.

Depends on what you consider to be the point of criminal justice. If it's meant to be a revenge thing, then torturing someone for torture might be reasonable. If it's meant to be a deterrent, then I suppose it depends on how effective torture is relative to the possible societal costs.

I understand the outrage, I don't think we should be making legal rulings based on outrage/shock though. There are child rapists and murders that get lesser sentences.

It honestly sounds less like she was a horrible person and more like someone who ended up in a very very shitty situation and just snapped.

Sometimes people just go crazy.

Why is this better than sentencing her to 5 years in gaol and making sure she's never responsible for children again?

As with most other instances of family-abuse, there's little evidence to suggest she's a danger to anyone outside of her care. There's no evidence to suggest that other instances of parental violence will be prevented by an excessive sentence.

All this does is ensure the US prison population is 1 higher for the remainder of her lifetime.

Pretty much this. Shame that there are so few people like you that think about this rationally.

blitz64

Mom deserves it.

The only good thing I can think of is that the child will not remember any of it. Hope there is no permanent damage.

And we have to agree with that, why?

The issue is not whether you agree or disagree. That wasn't my point. Society in general reserves harsh consequences for those who commit such actions. That was my original point, which was trying to emphasize that uh....child abuse is dealt with HARSHLY. Hence why I said I don't find her sentence overly harsh, in light of her crimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom