• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

mom who glued toddler's hands to wall, sentenced to 99 years in prison

Status
Not open for further replies.
A really shitty thing to do to a child. However the sentencing seems to harsh.

By ALYSSA NEWCOMB (@alyssanewcomb) and COLLEEN CURRY
Oct. 12, 2012

The Texas mom who beat her 2-year-old daughter and glued her hands to a wall was sentenced today to 99 years in prison.

Judge Larry Mitchell gave the life sentence to a tearful Elizabeth Escalona, 23, because "you savagely beat your child to the edge of death."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-mom-...-wall-99-years/story?id=17436643#.UHhpuFHabPQ

Just really shitty? C'mon son.....some people (due process or not) get killed for stuff like this in some parts of the world. Seems too harsh my ass.

Sentence seems kind of harsh considering this wasn't a murder trial. I'm glad she was convicted, but doubling what the prosecution was seeking looks more like vengeance rather than justice.

Cyan

Banned
Yeah, coma and super glue is rough and all but 99 is still way excessive. You have murderers and child molesters getting less. Sandusky molested groups of kids and got 60 years... Yeah he'll be dead before he gets to the end but the point is that they essentially get the same sentence even though I'd argue he did something way worse.

Sentencing in the US is insane. This is nothing new.

*reads thread title* "Oh, this is bullshit"

*reads thread* "Ok, that makes sense"

Seriously - the whole beating thing should have been mentioned in the thread title unless it was the goal to have a lot of people enter the thread with misplaced outrage.

Sentence seems kind of harsh considering this wasn't a murder trial. I'm glad she was convicted, but doubling what the prosecution was seeking looks more like vengeance rather than justice.
I do think there should be a standard for each crime and variant of them.

For someone to just come up with a number on the fly because of their mood isn't a good system.

Kusagari

She didn't just beat the child. She beat her kid into a coma. She's extremely lucky that the kid didn't die.

I have absolutely no problems with this sentence.

MartyStu

Even after the beating, 99 is still too harsh. There are murderers that get MUCH less.

Not that I will shed any tears, but some perspective does not hurt.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Fuck the thread title. People should read the fuckin op/article.

By that time, her kids and grandkids will all be dead or dying...

15 years, sure, or something similar, but this is atrocious. The system wasn't designed to be this punitive.

What if it was life imprisonment with no possibility of parole? I honestly think that people would be more okay with that than 99 years just because 99's a sentence that no one can possibly serve in their lifetime. It's a big number. What she did was she beat an innocent, defenseless toddler - not just beat, but actually bit her, remember that - using super glue to make a defenseless toddler literally defenseless in every single way, until the child was in a coma. The toddler might never live a fulfilling life, and might suffer brain damage. The damage the mother did to the child was severe enough that the child may not have even survived it if she was less lucky. This is a situation where a mother was so frustrated by a problem that she bit a toddler.

What if it was life imprisonment with no possibility of parole? I honestly think that people would be more okay with that than 99 years just because 99's a sentence that no one can possibly serve in their lifetime. It's a big number. What she did was she beat an innocent, defenseless toddler - not just beat, but actually bit her, remember that - using super glue to make a defenseless toddler literally defenseless in every single way, until the child was in a coma. The toddler might never live a fulfilling life, and might suffer brain damage. The damage the mother did to the child was severe enough that the child may not have even survived it if she was less lucky. This is a situation where a mother was so frustrated by a problem that she bit a toddler.
Are you meaning to say "bit" cause I must have missed that part. LOL this is up there with the guy who put the newborn in the microwave. So ridiculous.

If I was the judge I'd have to fight the urge to throw the gavel at her after I take her whole life's worth of freedom from her.

There should still be a standard though.

Zhengi

Not sure what to think of this case. I'm conflicted. On the one hand, the sentence seems too long, but on the other, she beat her own child into a coma. That is a pretty awful crime and I'm not sure what the right punishment is.

Are you meaning to say "bit" cause I must have missed that part. LOL this is up there with the guy who put the newborn in the microwave. So ridiculous.

If I was the judge I'd have to fight the urge to throw the gavel at her after I take her whole life from her.

Jocelyn suffered bleeding in her brain, a fractured rib, multiple bruises and bite marks, a doctor testified. Some skin had been torn off her hands, where doctors also found glue residue and white paint chips from the apartment wall.

Just fucked up man. I mean, damage like that is the result of gross indifference. There is no way that she couldn't have known how badly she could have ended up from her actions.

Not sure what to think of this case. I'm conflicted. On the one hand, the sentence seems too long, but on the other, she beat her own child into a coma. That is a pretty awful crime and I'm not sure what the right punishment is.

The damage done could have very easily resulted in death. That she didn't die is contrary to the likelihood of her dying.

ffdgh

resource.aspx

Poor thing.

....Alright, no remorse.

"I hit her, I kicked her constantly and she didn't deserve that," Escalona said, confirming that she glued the girl’s hands to the wall, according to the Dallas Morning News. But, she added, “I want everybody to know that I'm not a monster. I love my kids.”
Yes, you are a monster.
And no, you obviously don't love your kids.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
99 years is too much. Nixzmary brown was killed and her stepfather only got 29 years.
Then he should have gotten more time.

Hopefully this makes other assholes people think twice before beating the crap out of their kids.

Zoe

What if it was life imprisonment with no possibility of parole? I honestly think that people would be more okay with that than 99 years just because 99's a sentence that no one can possibly serve in their lifetime. It's a big number.

But she's eligible for parole starting at year 30.

Walshicus

Why is this better than sentencing her to 5 years in gaol and making sure she's never responsible for children again?

As with most other instances of family-abuse, there's little evidence to suggest she's a danger to anyone outside of her care. There's no evidence to suggest that other instances of parental violence will be prevented by an excessive sentence.

All this does is ensure the US prison population is 1 higher for the remainder of her lifetime.

23 and FIVE kids?

Smoking put at eleven?

Uh, why the fuck is the grandmother getting custody?

That's what I don't understand. Escalona clearly had issues at a young age, which makes me wonder about the parenting ability of the grandmother. I hope a close eye is kept on the 2 kids placed in her care.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
DAAMN, this woman is evil incarnate!

Eeep.

Celegus

Jesus Christ I hate articles like these. It makes me go home and hug my son extra hard.

But not too hard.

Thanks for the chuckle. This and first post wins.

Props to the judge for not putting up with her crap. Hope her kids can turn out okay.

If the child hadn't fallen into a coma and the women were arrested and sentenced to jail, I'm guessing we'd get quite a few "I was beaten as a kid, and it set me straight" posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom