• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moments in films that made you cry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirye

Biggest scene that comes to mind is the bathroom scene in Pursuit of Happiness. Everytime, I know it's coming but god damn it gets me.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
This is for a very recent movie so I'll spoiler tag but in Ghibli's newest movie The Tale of The Princess Kaguya:

the entire end sequence where the moon people come to take her back, and put the robe on her that will make her forget her time on Earth. The visuals were amazing, the people fighting to keep her including her adorable little assistant was sweet, then on the trip in space, Kaguya looks back at Earth, a hint that she hasn't fully forgotten her human loved ones. Then when they disappear into the distance/moon, and they show one final image of baby Kaguya (little Bamboo) against the moon, that's when I lost it :(

Masterpiece
ohg2PqG.gif

gerudoman

Requiem for a Dream. When Sara Goldfarb explains why the red dress is so important. Ellen Burstyn's performance is just incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq0W-L1KKPg

Of course the ending is also just ... intense.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADJE5gat_W8

The part were Sara's friend hug and cry in the bank after visiting her always gets me. Heartwrenching.

The ending of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is another one of my favourites too, very emotional.

Verendus

Banned
When Batman told Gordon he didn't have to say thank you at the end of Batman Begins. That's the kind of person Batman is. A real hero.

jadedm17

I'm not the one to ask: I can show restraint in life but during movies I'm gone.
Peter Jackson's King Kong
When he's climbing the building and realizes bullets hurt, then the girl comes and he switches from avoiding them to taking every one.
Wreckit Ralph
When he sacrifices himself to the volcano.
Kickass
When he gets beat up the first time then goes back out.

Essentially anything dealing with sacrifice for the greater good, usually loved ones.

When Batman told Gordon he didn't have to say thank you at the end of Batman Begins. That's the kind of person Batman is. A real hero.
More people need to understand a real hero isn't in it for the praise.

The Lego Movie in general. I hate to use the term but "nostalgia bomb" was the only way to describe it.

Also, Toy Story 3, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, The Return of the King and Source Code, of all things.

I cry at TV much more than I cry at movies.

Only the ending of 12 Years A Slave has ever even made me slightly tear up. I feel like that's kinda an odd one but something about Ejiofor's delivery really got to me.

LoveCake

Interstellar

Twice, at least. Talking to his daughter before he leaves and him checking the car to seeing if she stowed away, and then when they get back from the first planet and he checks the years of messages left for him. Both killed me.

kabel

Interstellar video messages

Watched it twice in the cinema, both times I teared up.

Actually cried? I don't remember a movie scene where I cried ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pau

This is for a very recent movie so I'll spoiler tag but in Ghibli's newest movie The Tale of The Princess Kaguya:

the entire end sequence where the moon people come to take her back, and put the robe on her that will make her forget her time on Earth. The visuals were amazing, the people fighting to keep her including her adorable little assistant was sweet, then on the trip in space, Kaguya looks back at Earth, a hint that she hasn't fully forgotten her human loved ones. Then when they disappear into the distance/moon, and they show one final image of baby Kaguya (little Bamboo) against the moon, that's when I lost it :(

Masterpiece
ohg2PqG.gif
I lost it when
the kids start singing the nursery rhyme in unison. I was doing so well up until then, and I just lost it.

Pretty much any singing will make me bawl. Secret of Kells and Song of the Sea. :/

Saw all the usuals posted. I'll post both Rugrats movies, specifically:

tumblr_inline_nduzb1ET8G1qcytds.gif

This whole moment and the lulluby scene following absolutely destroyed me when I was eight. I have a little brother too, so the whole sequence hit that much harder.

Rugrats in Paris pulled no punches either, just fucking five minutes in and we get this heart wrenching scene of Chuckie standing alone as his friends dance with their mothers. To this day I need to swallow the feels if I happen to catch it.

2L0Bp.png

woopWOOP

Apparently kid me cried about as loud as the duck himself whenever he did in The Ugly Duckling.

Aside from that only time I remember fighting back tears was Dancer in the Dark. Ending got kinda weird, but I'd be lying if there wasn't a bit of water in my eyes by then.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
"You are who you choose to be..."

"Superman"

*Boom* Explosion *Boom*

That's the Iron Giant for you guys that don't know.

Recent memory: Interstellar almost made me cry, when
he's watching over the videos that he's missed over the past couple o' decades. The music is perfect too, reaching a crescendo and then just cutting out. Great stuff.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
The Wrestler. As soon as that Bruce Springsteen song plays in the end credits, I'm in tears.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I don't really cry at movies, but the most recent that got me choked up was Interstellar
right at the end when he sees his daughter on her death bed
lord I'm getting emotional just thinking about it

graffix13

My favorite movie of All Time: The end of Shawshank Redemption

When Red is on his way to Mexico and he finds himself 'hoping'. And then reuniting with his best friend at the end.

HarryKS

I don't know, I get pretty choked up when Merrick talks about his mother, and the scene where Anthony Hopkins' Frederick Treves is reunited with him after Merrick returns after being kidnapped. Also knowing that the story actually happened gives it extra pathos.

What I mean is I don't cry. I don't produce tears. I haven't in the past 15 years. I go through an emotional shock, but I can't cry. I don't mind.

The first time I saw Devdas and its ending was the first and only time I got close to crying due to a movie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySlQVxSZxq0

Such a beautiful, amazing film. It was, at the time (I don't think it still is but idk), the most expensive Bollywood movie ever made.

A little short, spoiler summary for those that don't understand and probably will never watch this 3-4 hour movie.
Paro and Devdas are childhood friends who are separated when Devdas is sent to school in England. Paro lights a candle that she never lets go out - she says the candle symbolizes Devdas and as long as it remains lit, he will return to her. He returns like 10+ years later when Paro and Devdas are both now adults. The two immediately fall in love and Paro's mother is overjoyed. Devdas's mother, however, is a bitch and extremely jealous of Devdas's relationship with Paro, especially as their family is beneath them economically. Paro's mother approaches Devdas's family and offers them Paro as Devdas's bride, but they reject and mock Paro's mother for even entertaining the thought that they'd let someone of such low birth into their family. Devdas, upon hearing of this, has a huge fight with his parents and angrily leaves the village, leaving Paro with a letter where he says he never loved her.

Devdas begins to spend time in a brothel with his friend and a prostitute named Chandramuki (or something like that) and develops a drinking problem. Chandramuki begins to fall in love with Devdas, but Devdas still loves Paro and, months and months (maybe a year or more??) after he originally left, he returns to his village to apologize to Paro. It turns out Paro is being wed to a wealthy widower who already has grown children of his own. Devdas asks Paro to run away with him, but Paro tells him she would have done so before he selfishly left her. Devdas then sees her being wed and leaves, but not before promising to visit her on her doorstep one last time before he dies.

He returns to the brothel and his drinking problem becomes more severe. Chandramuki, unable to stop him, seeks the help of Paro to get Devdas to stop drinking. She, however, is unable to do much. Paro and Chandramuki become friends and slay a dance routine, before one of Paro's in-laws, who frequents Chandramuki's brothel, exposes Chandramuki's career and Paro for hanging out with prostitutes. Paro's husband, disgusted and disappointed in Paro, keeps her under house arrest, refusing to let her even take a step outside.

Months later, Devdas has been pretty much been doing nothing but drinking nonstop, and realizing how weak and sick he becomes, he suspects he's nearing the end of his life. He takes a train to Paro's village where, with his final energy, makes it to the front of Paro's house's front gates before he collapses. Paro, who only learns of a sick man laying outside the house days later, calls her stepson into her room to ask him about the man (this happens in the linked video). He tells her it's someone from her home village named Devdas. Stunned, she asks him how he knows and he begins to provide her with the items they found on Devdas (ID, letters from his parents, etc.). Realizing Devdas has come to fulfill his promise to her, the rest of the scene plays out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom