• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moments in films that made you cry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grave of the Fireflies.

Everything tied to the beginning and end, is just too sad.
tumblr_mte933hkka1syfoijo4_500.gif

Howl's Moving Castle

The moment before and after this, it just had me.
tumblr_lwfn91JZqK1qi0kfro1_500.gif

The composition of, "Cave of Mind", intensified every scene connected to it, so damn wonderful.

Interstellar.

At the moment of, "don't leave", while driving, quite the moment.

The Iron Giant

tumblr_inline_n9rgk2eLsO1qhfkb8.gif

Hachi,

Dog's sad, stays, the feels, too strong.

Jenenser

i know, some of you might laugh at my choice, but i lost a tear in supernatural.
spoiler:
when bobby died. my father died when i was 13, so yeah... brought me back

oh yeah and ofc grave of the fireflys. fuck that movie. :(

The end of Waltz with Bashir was the only movie to get me to cry. Shit was too real, and too sudden. I couldn't handle it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgmjH1XbqXM

that moment in all its sadness...

from a cinematic perspective, its genius. even if you know its based on real things, the animation damps it and gives you look from a distance, than suddenly the moment it swaps over to real footage... hits you like a truck.

i didn't lose a tear, but i had one of the worst gutfeelings in my life.

ItIsOkBro

I cry a lot. Just going through the movies I have right here in front of me:

Warm Bodies -
when he holds her to protect her and falls off the building
King Kong (2005) -
when the capture Kong
Big Fish -
the ending story his son tells
The Trumen Show -
when he's escaping on the rough 'seas'
Flight of the Phoenix (2004) -
when the plane finally starts lol
I am Legend -
when he has to kill the dog
Rise of the Guardians -
when Sandman dies
Frozen -
when Anna gets frozen at the end
Big Hero 6 -
when Baymax show's his brother's video

zeemumu

The first 7 minutes of UP

Eponine in Les Miserables

The dog in I Am Legend

When Will Smith's character
gets the job
at the end of Pursuit of Happiness

The end of Requiem for a Dream

Tom Hanks losing Wilson in Castaway

I don't think I will ever cry as hard as I did while watching a film as I did during Dear Zachary. Not knowing the finer details made it hit that much harder.

Addi

The ending of The Bicycle Thief

Father-Son moments in general hit a spot for me, Lion King, Cinema Paradiso (Father figure in a way) etc.

Blue Lou

Most recently? It wasn't a cry, but a solitary tear. The scene from Interstellar where
Cooper (Matthew McConaughey) had a contorted face and was crying his eyes out as he watched his daughter's life slip away from him.

NimbusD

Aww man, Life Aqautic.
Ned's death scene, and then when Zissou's carrying the kid at the end. Cry every time.
Not gonna post the video cuz I just watched it and I dont think it's an emotionally manipulative enough scene to work from just watching the scene.

End of American History X when
Edward Furlong gets shot in the bathroom and Ed Norton holds him in his arms

I'm a sucker for good music so Inception when
Fisher is entering his father's hospital room and the idea is finally planted.

Patryn

Not me, but my wife cannot watch the end of Captain America: The First Avenger without bursting into tears. She hates it when I put it on, because she knows she's going to cry.

The ending to Watership Down creator's second film Plague Dogs. There are actually a lot of times I teared up in the movie, but this was rough on all levels.

plaguedogs4.jpg

I wasn't allowed to watch Transformers The Movie after I saw it the first time, because I apparently lost my shit when
Optimus Prime died.

Dancer in the Dark's ending and Grave of the Fireflies will always be the worst for me though.

And I'm not sure why, but End of Evangelion gets me choked up when the happy music plays while the
world is ending, and everyone is turning into LCL.

Still can't get through Old Yeller without tearing up.

I forgot about the ending to Pan's Labyrinth. Me and the entire theater unleashed a pool of tears when we came out.

Denzar

GODDAMNIT OP. That part in 50/50 just makes me bawl.

Watched 12 Years a Slave recently. The part where
Solomon is forced to lash Patsey

It's not the only scene that made me uneasy and sad, but it's that scene that broke me.

The Road by John Hillcoat is also one gut-punch after the other. To me it's almost unbearable to watch. It started with choking up, but by the end I was weeping.

1324325414005.png

bengraven

I have to admit, there is an entire series of fimls that makes me cry throughout the entire 10-12 hours.

- "I'm glad you're with me, Sam..."
- "...Bilbo!"
- "I will take it!" *gandalf closes his eyes* "I will take the ring...though I do not know the way..."
- "If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword." "and my axe..." "and my bow..."
- "So it's true...he is dead..."
- "Fly you fools!"
- "I would have gone with you to the end, into the very fires of Mordor." "I know..."
- "My captain...my king..."
- "'Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee.' And I don't mean to...I don't mean to."
- ""Not if we hold true to each other. We will not abandon Merry and Pippin to torment and death. Not while we have strength left....Let us hunt some orc!"
- "It is special. It's a little bit of home."
- "And I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide."
- "He is not alone. Sam went with him." "Did he? That's good...good..."
- "Westu hál. Ferðu, Théodred, Ferðu."
- "Where is the horse and the rider. Where is the horn that was blowing..."
- "Théoden king stands alone." "Not alone."
- "But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer."
- "But we'll see each other soon, won't we?"
- "The Beacons of Minas Tirith! The Beacons are lit!"
- "Since you are robbed of Boromir, I will do what I can in his stead."
- "Go home."
- "Home is behind, the world ahead and there are many paths to tread..."
- "Ride now, ride now, ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending!"
- "My body is broken. You have to let me go. I go to my fathers in whose mighty company I shall not now feel ashamed."
- "No, Merry. I'm going to look after you."
- "A day may come when the courage of Men fails, when we forsake our friends, and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day."
- "Come on, Mister Frodo. I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you! Come on!"
- "For Frodo."
- "Frodo! Frodo!" *mount doom explodes, killing everything in Mordor and the fellowship look on in sadness*
- "I'm glad to be with you, Samwise Gamgee, here at the end of all things."
- "Gandalf?!"
- "My friends! You bow to no one."
- "I will not say, do not weep, for not all tears are an evil."
- "It is time, Frodo."

I need to drink a lot of water so I don't get dehydrated while watching them.

bengraven

The Road by John Hillcoat is also one gut-punch after the other. To me it's almost unbearable to watch. It started with choking up, but by the end I was weeping.

1324325414005.png

I read the book and was tearing up at work during the last three pages. I had to excuse myself to the bathroom because the scenes ripped me apart.

I like to think I probably suffered as much as I can having gone through what's usually the better of two media, so I don't need to revisit it again in cinematic form, thank you very much...

Coconut

Banned
In the Life Aquatic at the end when they Steve cries I cried. I also was coming down from doing some X the night before so that might have played a factor.

Also in interstellar When Murph is trying to keep her dad from leaving and yelling and crying.

Burbeting

Banned
I tend to be very emotionally distant during watching movies. I don't know why that is, but I really don't tear up while watching films usually. I can't recall the last time I legit cried watching anything.

Still, there are few movies where I have teared up big time.

The Lion King
When Mufasa dies. I don't even know why I'm spoilering this, it's very famous scene by now, haha. As a kid I got really sad, and even now I get pretty emotional.

Pan's Labyrinth
Three seperate scenes actually. When the doctor dies, ehen the mother dies, and the ending as a whole. Ending especially because my headcanon is that the fantasy segments of the movie aren't real, but the protagonists imagination. That makes the end make me tear up pretty badly.

Grave of the Fireflies
No singe section really, just the ending as a whole. Those kids really didn't deserve their fate..

And most recent, and at the same time most surprising, Big Hero 6
The part where Baymax sacrifices himself to save Hiro and that girl at the end. I had really tough few days behind me when I finally saw the movie, which is why this section really made me tear up. The part where Baymax shows Hiro the video about Tadashi was really heartwarming too, but it didn't really make me tear up. But the ending part... somehow I just really connected emotionally with Hiro at this point.

However, the part some 5-10minutes later where Hiro rebuilds Baymax really made me angry, haha :D. I know Disney doesn't let the good guys die like, ever, but I still think that this ruined lot of the emotional ending. It didn't ruin it, but it did lessen the impact a lot. Oh well.

Most of The Tale of The Princess Kaguya, especially the final shot/song's - that was depressing

The whole of Hachi: A Dog's Tale - Also depressing

the ending of the short film "feast" before big hero 6

when winston is just laying there and the meatball rolls over to him and he sees the kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom