• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Money, Money, Money: The Official Neogaf Million Dollar Jewish Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
SmokyDave said:
Potential funny responses to your post: 484
Potential bannable funny responses to your post: 483

Damn you, now I have a fucking huge list to sift through :(
Yup.
Watch out guys, this thread is a mine field.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Veidt said:
I've always wanted to know this. Why is it acceptable for Jewish ( a religion) to be considered an ethnicity? When are people considered Israeli? Wouldn't that be more appropriate? I thought this would be seen as offensive for the longest time, until I was informed otherwise.

There are lots of different strata of Semite peoples and they span ethnicities as we understand them, but tend towards a certain type. There's obviously lots of interbreeding - as blue-eyed blond haired Ashkenazi Jews demonstrate in contrast with more Sephardic types. And then you've got Sammy Davis Jr. who shows that Judaism is perfectly mobile since it's information, not genes.

Ultimately the relative ethnicity of Jewish people simply demonstrates the strength and cohesion of its societal rulesets. Otherwise there'd be no physical distinctions whatsoever, like Christianity. And if you think about how much older Judaism is, the shallower gene pool is actually pretty impressive.

The question ultimately for Jewish people is, "Is Jewishness religious or social?" because it fundamentally isn't ethnic.

See also Romany folk.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
diversity.day.office.jpg

Jewish-age, a question - is there a reason why on Christmas, the tradition apparently is chinese food and movies? Obviously you don't celebrate Christmas...but of all the possible stuff you guys could do instead (or even not doing anything at all), I always see my Jewish friends doing chinese takeout and movies.

How did that come about?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
in the US at least, they were legally labeled a race to be granted protections by anti-discriminatory laws... I'm sure there's been more to the concept though.

captmcblack said:
Jewish-age, a question - is there a reason why on Christmas, the tradition apparently is chinese food and movies? Obviously you don't celebrate Christmas...but of all the possible stuff you guys could do instead (or even not doing anything at all), I always see my Jewish friends doing chinese takeout and movies.

How did that come about?

could be as simple as Chinese places usually being all that's open that day.

captmcblack said:

How did that come about?

Not much else open, and dinner and a movie is always a fun time. Plus it's a freebie day off, no Church to go to (unless like me you married a Catholic and you have to go for your inlaws :lol ), and a chance to catch up with people.

JoeBoy101 said:
Only reason I hope nothing bad happens to the OP is due to his awesome use of Ted DiBase. Well Done!
Thank you, the reason I did a thread with this title because of Ted DiBase's intro music which I though of when trying to make something witty sounding.

stressboy

captmcblack said:

How did that come about?

Movies or bowling.. no one else is open.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
I have no clue, I consider myself an American Jew. I consider Israelis to be be really annoying Jews from Europe mixed with the worst traits of New York Jews. :lol

I look at Judaism as a religion, not an ethnic group, or nationality.

OuterWorldVoice said:
There are lots of different strata of Semite peoples and they span ethnicities as we understand them, but tend towards a certain type. There's obviously lots of interbreeding - as blue-eyed blond haired Ashkenazi Jews demonstrate in contrast with more Sephardic types. And then you've got Sammy Davis Jr. who shows that Judaism is perfectly mobile since it's information, not genes.

Ultimately the relative ethnicity of Jewish people simply demonstrates the strength and cohesion of its societal rulesets. Otherwise there'd be no physical distinctions whatsoever, like Christianity. And if you think about how much older Judaism is, the shallower gene pool is actually pretty impressive.

The question ultimately for Jewish people is, "Is Jewishness religious or social?" because it fundamentally isn't ethnic.

See also Romany folk.

Thanks.

stressboy said:
Movies or bowling.. no one else is open.
Besides strip clubs I guess. :lol

Merry Christmas Bitches!

Seriously though the only thing open besides movies are video stores (those guys never have a day off, since otherwise you could get a free extra day, and cause the end of the world).

Funny thing is I recall seeing The Santa Clause (awful movie) and Muppets Christmas Carol (badass) during Christmas, but it MAY have been New Year's.

I did make my wife see Alien Vs Predator Requiem on Christmas Morning. What better way to celebrate the birth of Christ then with Aliens and Predators killing people (and yes I did say that)!

amitaiwinehouse

Neo Member
Veidt said:

Also, I consider myself to be Jewish but I don't believe in God in the slightest. You'll actually find a ridiculous number of secular Jews, who merely follow the traditions. For example, I celebrate some of the festivals and have a shabbat meal to placate my grandparents.

It would also be wrong to deem Jews 'Israelis', because the vast majority of Jewish people don't have anyone in their family who in the last few generations have lived in Israel. Rather, the most common areas Jews will tend to have common ancestry from in recent times is Eastern Europe.

Finally, another reason why Jews are considered a racial group is because of the lack of out-breeding that has occurred over the generations. It also leads to problems in Jewish communities like Tay-Sachs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tay-Sachs_disease

Jayge

captmcblack said:

How did that come about?
For a while, not only were they the only places open, Christmas was considered the greatest time to go to the movies because nobody would usually be there.

Then, this past decade (it seems) tons of people get bored halfway through Christmas Day and go out to see whatever flick happens to open on Christmas, and there's always at least one these days. So it's going to be crowded either way, which is sad.

Synagogues also have a tendency to create special programs for activities to do on Christmas since Jews are usually left stranded (unless you're like myself with tons of Christian relatives as well as friends and you go celebrate with them, thank science my father converted :p). For instance, I remember when I was in 6th grade this Rabbi at my middle school was heading some program called "X-Mas: What's a Jew to do?" where they did a bunch of shit with the kids and whatnot. Fun.

amitaiwinehouse said:
It would also be wrong to deem Jews 'Israelis', because the vast majority of Jewish people don't have anyone in their family who in the last few generations have lived in Israel. Rather, the most common areas Jews will tend to have common ancestry from in recent times is Eastern Europe.
If someone called me an Israeli (unless based on a very innocent mistake), I'd possibly punch them in the face.

Finally, another reason why Jews are considered a racial group is because of the lack of out-breeding that has occurred over the generations. It also leads to problems in Jewish communities like Tay-Sachs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tay-Sachs_disease
That's a very good point, granted I'm doing my part to increase genetic diversity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom