• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MonkeyPaw Games Is Starting A Kickstarter For A Class Of Heroes 2 EN Physical Release

Glix

Can PSP games be release on Vita carts? I know this seems like an insane question, but I"m curious....

Or would they have to be totally "ported" and would be considered a full fledged Vita game.

Bascially, like, did they ever come out with a PSONE game on a dvd, so even though it played in the PSONE emulator, it would only be playable in a PS2?

NeededSleep

If you did a digital version in a physical box with the goodies I would consider it.(just toss in a redeemable code for the game) Hell yes.

Trying to move my collection away from physical psp games with you know sony not bringing umd conversion for the vita.

Sorry Vic as much as I would love to help someone who has done some of my fav localization(arc series), I might have to pass.

PS. Class of heros 2? Really? There are a whole lot of other games that should be brought up before this. But I guess ya gotta do what you gotta do.

Dineren

Banned
The second is supposed to be quite a bit better than the first isn't it? Anyone know what they improved? I thought the first one was ok, but not nearly good enough to pay significantly extra for a physical release.
Though I'm tempted to support just to increase the chance of future localization possibilities.

Bebpo

Banned
I know licensing non-obscure stuff is really difficult, but this was really not the game to try to start the kickstarter funds localization test. No one cares about this game, whether it's an improvement over the first or not. Can't see it hitting 500k.

Tengai Makyou IV or something would have been much better (yeah, I know, probably not feasible :( )

Eusis

Tengai Makyou IV or something would have been much better (yeah, I know, probably not feasible :( )
Yeah, I'd like something more wild and exciting, but I'm guessing most anything else is out of reach for one reason or another. Especially since that's probably a Konami property now, I imagine if Hudson STAYED separate things could be different.

ReaperXL7

Crappy games? No they can stay right where they are.

Well I have not played the first, so I have no foundation to say how much I would want an improved sequel, but his comment was that the trend as awhole needs to die, which I don't agree with because as much as I may be somewhat indifferent on this game there are tons of games that I would support with this type of funding.

I don't know if this was the game to test the waters for this type of a "kickstart" campaign, but it's nice to know that it could become an option for games that many of us would really want. I also agree that the fact that this is already getting a digital release that will also support the Vita kind of hurts this I think.

redlemon

as much as I like the idea of kickstarting unlikely localisations I have to say class of heroes 2 is a poor choice.

vireland

The second is supposed to be quite a bit better than the first isn't it? Anyone know what they improved? I thought the first one was ok, but not nearly good enough to pay significantly extra for a physical release.
Though I'm tempted to support just to increase the chance of future localization possibilities.

The second one is a HUGE improvement over the first. It's a much improved experience and frustrating crap that should never have made release in the first one (like no "group resting" to heal, and the "pay to identify items" crap, etc) is fixed in the second. Music is better and more plentiful, graphics are improved. It's a better game all around. I would not have signed on for a series if I didn't believe in it.

Also, since we're handling the localization completely in-house here (this isn't farmed out to the Japanese side), we can continue to refine and improve the interface and overall experience to make it as player-friendly as possible in a very WD-like way.

RedBoot

It's a much improved experience and frustrating crap that should never have made release in the first one (like no "group resting" to heal, and the "pay to identify items" crap, etc) is fixed in the second.

Oh, good. I can leave the Bishop at home this time.

I'm up for the digital release without a doubt. Looking forward to seeing what the KS offers.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'd support this if it were an RPG I actually wanted to see stateside. Which it is not.

I dunno... maybe vic is right and this is really is a big step up from the original...

vireland

We're talking to ALL the publishers in Japan (I know the programmer of TM 4th Apocalypse personally!), but you have to get the decision-makers to believe, and that's tough to do with no reference point for them. Doing this for traditional consoles/portables is harder than PC/iOS - there are many, many more layers to coordinate to make it happen.

This is an entry point. Acquire was cool enough to "get" what we were doing and happy that we believed in their product, so it's the starting point. Once we can point to this as a success, all the other talks we've been having with Japanese pubs become much, much easier.

Sqorgar

Banned
Probably not my top choice of games, but thinking about it, yes. I would like to play it. The first one had some significant flaws, but if the sequel fixes those, I see no reason why it wouldn't be a pretty enjoyable dungeon crawl. I don't buy DD games, but if there was a physical version, I would feel no hesitation in buying it. The question is really how much more the physical version will cost (unfortunately, Class 2 is not one of the many games I am desperate to spend absurd amounts of money on).

Plus, a physical copy of this game is going to be a pretty cool collector's item - I will look down upon other gamers from my high moral ground and laugh.

But why Class of Heroes 2? I know it is supposed to be better, but the first one did so poorly that Atlus dropped the series like a bad habit. If the series gets better with each iteration, why not the most recent one (3DS, right?) - unless the entire series is on its way. Also, does the deluxe PSP physical copy include the digital one? I assume not, but it'd set the kind of kick ass precedence that I wish the industry would start doing.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
(I have no interest in the game, not my genre and wouldn't really be my choice if I did want to get something in the genre)

I'm surprised that people are opposed to the concept or mystified by the funding amount. $500,000 is 15,000 full price copies. Would it be absurd if you heard a publisher (say Xseed, or Atlus, or Aksys, or whomever) said "We need to be able to sell 15,000 copies for this project to be worthwhile for us to do"? That doesn't sound at all absurd to me. Because that's really what this is, a pre-sale with a threshold that if it's not reached, they can't do the physical release.

Every time a small publisher does a digital-only PSN release, people always say "They had to have been able to do a small little print run! I'd buy it! I'm sure enough people would! It doesn't need to be a huge 100,000+ unit thing!". This is the chance to test that theory with respect to this game.

This trend needs to die.

NEOGAF. The official forum of advertising your kickstarter to hardcore gamers in which many bloggers and video game journalists also visit.

I think at some point we may consider an "Official Kickstarter Thread" where the original topic creator updates the OP with new kickstarter programs as they happen. So that all new kickstarter attempts go in one topic - and they should still get solid exposure because, like I said - the Topic Creator can update the orginal post with new happenings.

I think at some point we may consider an "Official Kickstarter Thread" where the original topic creator updates the OP with new kickstarter programs as they happen. So that all new kickstarter attempts go in one topic - and they should still get solid exposure because, like I said - the Topic Creator can update the orginal post with new happenings.

this has to happen like the indy bundle thread....its getting a little out of hand and confusing.
guess i could bookmark their site but i like this idea

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Nope, sorry. For me personally, this is really going agains the whole idea of Kickstarter. Doing one to get the game brought over period? Sure, yes. Absolutely.

Doing it for a bunch of fluff special edition? Ugh, no. Really can't believe this is being done.
Yeah, my sentiments exactly.
vireland said:
The Kickstarter is primarily about physical/digital hybrid releases, but it's not JUST about the awesome KS-only Deluxe Pack. Fans that plan to do digital download still can get a better version of the game if we have more funds to devote to fixes/improvements/more extensive voice, etc.
Are codes for the digital download being included in return for a sensible level of contribution to a game of this caliber ($15-20)? If so, why doesn't it mention that in any of the reward tiers? If not, you really expect people to pay into your dev costs on top of paying for the DD game separately?

One of the main draws of these Kickstarters is that people contribute because they just want the baseline thing being offered.... The lions' share of contributions are from people who just want to put in a small investment and get back a game; Not fancy packaging, not little trinkets, not making a statement for a cause, they just want a game they think they'll like for a good price. To leave those people out of the equation and center your appeal towards the plastic tchotchke crowd strikes me as misguided.

Eusis

Every time a small publisher does a digital-only PSN release, people always say "They had to have been able to do a small little print run! I'd buy it! I'm sure enough people would! It doesn't need to be a huge 100,000+ unit thing!". This is the chance to test that theory with respect to this game.
We sorta had this happen before with What Did I Do To Deserve This 1, but actual pre-orders didn't pass muster. Admittedly after playing it for myself I realized a retail release of that ALONE was nuts, and they ended up using the idea I had afterall (bundle it with the sequel, release THAT to retail).

vireland

(I have no interest in the game, not my genre and wouldn't really be my choice if I did want to get something in the genre)

I'm surprised that people are opposed to the concept or mystified by the funding amount. $500,000 is 15,000 full price copies. Would it be absurd if you heard a publisher (say Xseed, or Atlus, or Aksys, or whomever) said "We need to be able to sell 15,000 copies for this project to be worthwhile for us to do"? That doesn't sound at all absurd to me. Because that's really what this is, a pre-sale with a threshold that if it's not reached, they can't do the physical release.

The voice of reason is a beautiful thing.

Instro

I'm a little baffled by the reactions to this honestly. Considering how many people seem to always complain about lack of physical releases and lack of translations for certain products. I'm not sure if this if it is just people being anti-kickstarter, but this certainly seems like a good way to test the waters for crowd funded translations/foreign releases. Can't say I particularly have any interest in this game though, but I think it would be good if it is successful.

Although having said that, I think 15,000 copies is a bit much for this. They should have lowered the price to 200k-300k or something and just increased the printing amount if it went over.

NichM

Banned

That thread already exists. I don't see anything wrong with individual projects getting their own threads, though.

DiscoJer

We sorta had this happen before with What Did I Do To Deserve This 1, but actual pre-orders didn't pass muster. Admittedly after playing it for myself I realized a retail release of that ALONE was nuts, and they ended up using the idea I had afterall (bundle it with the sequel, release THAT to retail).

Yeah, I remember that. NISA only wanted 1000 people to pre-order it. I think they got what, half?

ReaperXL7

Yeah, my sentiments exactly.

Are codes for the digital download being included in return for a sensible level of contribution to a game of this caliber ($15-20)? If so, why doesn't it mention that in any of the reward tiers? If not, you really expect people to pay into your dev costs on top of paying for the DD game separately?

One of the main draws of these Kickstarters is that people contribute because they just want the baseline thing being offered.... The lions' share of contributions are from people who are just into getting a game; Not for fancy packaging, not for little trinkets, not for making a statement for a cause, they just want a game they think they'll like for a good price. To leave those people out of the equation and center your appeal towards the plastic tchotchke crowd strikes me as misguided.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but it seems this is more about releasing the game as a boxed,retail copy which alot of people want just as much, some more than DD.

Personally if it's not getting a proper physical release on Vita than I'm fine with DD because I can't transfer UMDs to my Vita, but there are lots of people who want physical copies of their games, and that seems to be the main purpose of this kickstarter.

The Special edition stuff just seems like extra incentive.

Durante

I'm a little baffled by the reactions to this honestly. Considering how many people seem to always complain about lack of physical releases and lack of translations for certain products. I'm not sure if this if it is just people being anti-kickstarter, but this certainly seems like a good way to test the waters for crowd funded translations/foreign releases.
The reason I'm personally not too enthusiastic is that I actually love the idea of kickstarting translations, but really don't care about physical releases. This project conflates the issues to some extent, and if it fails (though I certainly hope it succeeds!) that could have negative repercussions not just on physical releases, but the idea of using kickstarter for localizations in general.

Sqorgar

Banned
One of the main draws of these Kickstarters is that people contribute because they just want the baseline thing being offered.... The lions' share of contributions are from people who are just into getting a game; Not for fancy packaging, not for little trinkets, not for making a statement for a cause, they just want a game they think they'll like for a good price. To leave those people out of the equation and center your appeal towards the plastic tchotchke crowd strikes me as misguided.

I don't think Kickstarter has to be one thing or another. Personally, I've only contributed to it for making statements in favor of causes I feel strongly about (I don't even like Double Fine games, but I want to see fans have more input into what gets developed and I really, really like the idea of high profile comedy adventure games coming back). This is a cause I feel strongly about as well - physical copies over DD-only copies (I own my games, not rent them). If they throw in digital AND physical copies into one package, that's absolutely a trend I am interested in seeing started and supporting.

Class of Heroes 2 isn't a game I'm dying to play, but I think I'll enjoy it well enough. More importantly I can support causes that important to me - causes that I have repeatedly brought up on GAF and plagued who knows how many localization and DD threads with my opinions. If I didn't support this cause when the opportunity presented itself, what kind of dick would I be?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
last time OP was edited was over a month ago and that was with what he thought needed exposure and following posters did same. I think dude meant more of a master list like this
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=467760

I mean, this is the master list:
http://www.kickstarter.com/discover/categories/games

If you're looking for something curated, I think the current situation is pretty good; we get new threads for high profile projects, we get people replying to the existing thread if they see something they want to fund that's clearly an independent thing. I guess some of us probably should be keeping that thread a little more active, but I don't really want it to get to a place where there's some "authoritative" OP of "gaf-approved" projects.

I mean, this is the master list:
http://www.kickstarter.com/discover/categories/games

If you're looking for something curated, I think the current situation is pretty good; we get new threads for high profile projects, we get people replying to the existing thread if they see something they want to fund that's clearly an independent thing. I guess some of us probably should be keeping that thread a little more active, but I don't really want it to get to a place where there's some "authoritative" OP of "gaf-approved" projects.

I did mention bookmarking the original site in my first post!

I certainly dont want a authoritative OP. Just figured instead of seeing 3new threads on the topic each day was a bit crazy and cant really see the situation getting better. Id just hate to see something im interested get passed up cause i missed the OT and thought 1 thread would be easier.Just subscribe and be done with it..kinda like all the other centralized threads like iOS, Vita, 3ds.

Just me being lazy!

Interesting. I do vastly prefer retail, but the fact that UMDs are out is a little prohibitive. Guess I'll see what the collector's edition is offering, first. Also kind of baffled at all the negative reaction, but the market will speak for itself.

BKK

Can PSP games be release on Vita carts? I know this seems like an insane question, but I"m curious....

Or would they have to be totally "ported" and would be considered a full fledged Vita game.

Bascially, like, did they ever come out with a PSONE game on a dvd, so even though it played in the PSONE emulator, it would only be playable in a PS2?

There was no need to put PS1 games on PS2 DVDs as all PS2s could play PS1 games. Metal Gear Solid 20th Anniversary: Metal Gear Solid Collection just had a PS1 reprint for MGS1.

Sega did rerelease SMS Phantasy Star as an SMD cart in Japan, it's basically just an SMS cart and powerbase converter combined in an SMD case.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Correct me if i'm wrong, but it seems this is more about releasing the game as a boxed,retail copy which alot of people want just as much, some more than DD.
I don't see why they can't play to both crowds. The baseline issue with physical releases is that people have to choose between that or a DD copy, they can't pay one fee and get both. This is a huge roadblock for PSP games in particular, where buying physical copies is a fools' errand to those with any designs on getting a Vita. Don't get me wrong, I love physical releases, but the reality of the Vita forces me to push them away.

Addressing this concern with a physical PSP release that also came with a DD copy, now THAT would be an initiative worth Kickstarting.

vireland

One person's crap is another person's cherished games. The only deciding factor to if a game should come over or not is the market, not one person's tastes.

I know we'll have a tough time overcoming the poor reputation the first game set up for us, but it's really hard to overstate how much better CoH2 is compared to the first. It doesn't have that pervasive feeling of tedium in the exploration part - due in part to things like access to spells quickly like levitate that completely neutralizes annoying things like shock traps and water/warp puzzles. There really is a ridiculous level of improvement in all areas of the game.

vireland

Addressing this concern with a physical PSP release that also came with a DD copy, now THAT would be an initiative worth Kickstarting.

We discussed it, but it's unlikely to happen in the short term with anyone on console/handhelds because of the current structure with hardware manufacturers, you're up for double royalties - one physical, one for digital, and potentially double on the Japanese IP side, too. It's not completely impossible, but I think the phrase "baby steps" can't be over-emphasized. We have to do the attainable while working toward the (currently) unattainable.

ReaperXL7

I don't see why they can't play to both crowds. The baseline issue with physical releases is that people have to choose between that or a DD copy, they can't pay one fee and get both. This is a huge roadblock for PSP games in particular, where buying physical copies is a fools' errand to those with any designs on getting a Vita.

Ahh I agree completely if this boxed copy came with both the physical and a code to download the digital version that would most benefical as atleast a portion of the audience (like myself) would have Vitas.

Speaking as someone who is almost certainly part of the target market for this game, this was honestly a really, really bad choice to use as a 'test run'.

Guess I could throw in a few dollars when the program starts...

Speaking as someone who is almost certainly part of the target market for this game, this was honestly a really, really bad choice to use as a 'test run'.

I agree. Like I said I really like the concept. I would hate for this to fail and discourage future projects of this type because of this.......if it does fail naturally

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
We discussed it, but it's unlikely to happen in the short term with anyone on console/handhelds because of the current structure with hardware manufacturers, you're up for double royalties - one physical, one for digital, and potentially double on the Japanese IP side, too. It's not completely impossible, but I think the phrase "baby steps" can't be over-emphasized. We have to do the attainable while working toward the (currently) unattainable.
I'm glad you at least acknowledge it's an issue worth tackling.

Still, I greatly urge you to put in a low tier with the DD game as a the payoff if you want people interested in the DD copy to contribute.

Top Bottom