• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MonkeyPaw Games Is Starting A Kickstarter For A Class Of Heroes 2 EN Physical Release

larvi

I love JRPGs but I don't like Class of Heroes at all. Too bad for the terrible choice of a mediocre game.

That's because it's not really a JRPG. It's old school WRPG at heart.

I'm definitely looking forward to this because I loved the first one but I'm still not on board with supporting stuff with Kickstarter since I don't really want to sign up for Amazon payments, so will buy it when it comes out.

ReaperXL7

they pick a super niche jrpg. I just couldn't get into this first person dungeon games

I suspect most of the games in japan that would need kickstarter to happen are pretty much all going to be Niche to a point. I know many would rather something like VC3, or Tales of, etc, but with those being owned by the big boys (and Namco not wanting to share Tales games) I suspect that if they saw a kickstarter succeed for the game they would just do it themselves at that point.

Joe Molotov

Don't want it and couldn't play it even if I did on my Vita. But feel free to accept the $20 I spent on Miami Law as my donation.

duckroll

What I meant was, what day did you actually submit it to them for approval. I'm interested in using Kickstarter myself and am curious.

I'm sorry to inform you that Kickstarting the completion of Versus XIII is going to be really hard. But I will support you! :D

Vamphuntr

:lol at localizations needing to be Kickstarted. The company basically sell the extra copies not going to the backers at a pure profit.

Soon SE will ask money to complete Versus XIII.

vireland

What I meant was, what day did you actually submit it to them for approval. I'm interested in using Kickstarter myself and am curious.

Ours was a special case because we did the original KS submission under the old rules where you did the proposal and submitted for approval BEFORE you could make a project, then could launch at will. However, because we were delayed almost a month because of the approval process for the parties that needed to clear this, the rules changed at KS and now you make the project and submit for approval AFTER it's ready. As a result, our second time went much faster than the first, since it was essentially the same thing as before.

I would plan for 1-4 days to hear back and you should be good.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Ours was a special case because we did the original KS submission under the old rules where you did the proposal and submitted for approval BEFORE you could make a project, then could launch at will. However, because we were delayed almost a month because of the approval process for the parties that needed to clear this, the rules changed at KS and now you make the project and submit for approval AFTER it's ready. As a result, our second time went much faster than the first, since it was essentially the same thing as before.

I would plan for 1-4 days to hear back and you should be good.

Cool. I'll definitely support the project when it goes live :)

While I really enjoyed WD's rpgs and big packages back in the day (have all the 120 dollar ones) I also think this was a poor choice (but then I don't like the genre).

If you are looking at acquire titles, I think something like Akiba's trip or the later class of heroes on ps3 would be a better idea. Just having something about Akihabara and that is "Japan wacky" should cover basic costs, IMO. Your company could also improve the controls, making it much better than the original. You will have the haters and white knights doing your publicity for you as opposed to a genre like dungeon exploration where people who aren't into those games don't even care enough to hate.

I like my psp but I just bought a vita, waiting for the floodgate of releases to come and if you look at the release schedule for anywhere outside Japan the psp is terrible.

Ah, there was much pining, impressions, and/or good times in the old Class of Heroes 1/2/beyond thread here on GAF quite a good ways back when it first came out.

I wish this initiative well, as my PSP certainly could stand to see more reason to get use as well for this being a worthy vector to attack in general on the localization front while hoping roughly comparable also emerges on the PC/DD front.

That said, damn it all I need more money in a big way if I'm ever going to get to be a part of this damned Kickstarter craze!

:lol at localizations needing to be Kickstarted. The company basically sell the extra copies not going to the backers at a pure profit.

Soon SE will ask money to complete Versus XIII.

That's what happens with kickstarters already? Backers get whatever rewards they signed up for and the company gets whatever profit they make from additional copies sold.

And this isn't for the localization, it's for physical copies/collector's editions.

I love me some first-person dungeon crawls, but for some reason I'm thinking this is an odd game to pick to test these waters with.

Also, I think it's an odd choice that the Kisckstarter is purely for physical goods and not simply to support localizations for obscure JRPG products.

I love me some first-person dungeon crawls, but for some reason I'm thinking this is an odd game to pick to test these waters with.

Also, I think it's an odd choice that the Kisckstarter is purely for physical goods and not simply to support localizations for obscure JRPG products.

Something more moe + a body pillow as a reward.

stabwound

Neo Member
Being a fan of Working Designs old games and Class of Heroes 1, I was pretty excited to see this news. I'd love to play the sequel in English.

I would be very surprised if this kickstarter were to hit $500,000 though. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I don't think it's gonna happen.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Crappy games? No they can stay right where they are.

Yeah, no. I'll put my money where I want to put it, and I'd rather pay for something like Class of Heroes 2 than many of the "great" games so many others do. Many of them just aren't my thing, and I appreciate having the opportunity to give my money to a project like this instead. And if it means more "crappy games" that I'd prefer to play then I'm all for it.

I'm in.

I never played the first Class of Heroes and to be honest, first person dungeon crawlers aren't really my thing, but I would buy a PSP copy and a PS3 one if this Kickstarter goes through. If it means that the Working Designs empire might come back and give Xseed a run for its money, I think it's worth double dipping. For me, at least.

Personally, I vastly prefer retail to DD and I'd like for both options to continue co-existing as long as possible. Plus, with this Kickstarter, it might mean that the PSP might live on for a while, and that's something I genuinely want to happen. I don't really see myself getting a Vita or 3DS any time soon, and I believe in letting consoles last as long as possible, so it's a godsend for me.

I mean, if it can at least hold on long enough for the last two Trails in the Sky games to make it here at retail, that would be simply amazing. I want that to happen.

vireland

It's not *just* for the Deluxe Pack, that's the misconception. It's a large focus, but not the only one. The first three reward tiers are specifcally for those that want to buy it on DD when it's done, but want to support the project and allow us more budget to do a more top-to-bottom localization like you would see in the WD days (improved controls, shortcuts, extra saves, expanded voice work, etc, etc). DD supporters of the first three tiers is just as important as the tiers above.

Vamphuntr

That's what happens with kickstarters already? Backers get whatever rewards they signed up for and the company gets whatever profit they make from additional copies sold.

And this isn't for the localization, it's for physical copies/collector's editions.

No? Vic said it's for the DD version too... Post just above this one.

I mean, presumably they plan to use the money (if they can raise it) to actually improve the quality of localization itself as well. That's a good thing.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I love JRPGs too but I haven't really tried Class of Heroes so I'm not sure if I'll support it.

I wonder if there are others games that MonkeyPaw are planning to kickstart localize...

I love JRPGs too but I haven't really tried Class of Heroes so I'm not sure if I'll support it.

I wonder if there are others games that MonkeyPaw are planning to kickstart localize...

Check the kotaku link. They said they have a whole slew. Whether or not it actually comes to pass... well.

I stand corrected then, but what's wrong with companies profiting from the games they release? It's not like people who back the projects don't know they're not getting a share of the company.

androvsky

I'm only slightly annoyed that loving JRPGs is being put on the back of what's essentially an old-school Wizardry clone with cute anime characters. But, the first game did have its merits, it was just a bit too hardcore and too light on story. If the second game has more story I'll be more interested. I'm backing it anyway (when I get paid, lol), assuming the deluxe edition pricing isn't completely nuts. It is unfortunate we can't get a download code without significant extra cost, since I would like to have more stuff to play on my Vita.

The good news is if this fails miserably, we can still use it to beat on the seemingly endless throngs of fans that complain about lack of a physical version whenever a niche PSP game gets announced for localization.

ReaperXL7

From the OP

Class of Heroes 2, the sequel to an Atlus-published PSP dungeon crawler (that received rather mediocre reviews), never made it to the U.S. when it was first released back in 2009.

Whether or not this Kickstarter is successful, MonkeyPaw says it still plans to release digital versions of Class of Heroes 2 for PSP and its companion, Class of Heroes 2G, for PlayStation 3.

Can't say I cared for any of the Class of Heroes games. 2 is an improvement over 1, but it still didn't strike me as anything special. I think there are other niche titles that deserved to be brought over instead of this, but oh well.

I'll pass on this one.

rockx4

I like the idea of kickstarting some jrpg localizations, but it would have to be a title that doesn't have a planned release. Having more JRPGs titles localized is a lot better than another version of an already planned release.

Meier

Good luck to them but this feels like a pointless exercise to me especially given the fact the game isn't beloved by any means.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Good luck to them but these feels like a pointless exercise to me especially given the fact the game isn't beloved by any means.

Yeah, really odd choice, maybe they got a really good deal on it or something?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Yeah, really odd choice, maybe they got a really good deal on it or something?

I think he mentioned here or in the other thread that right now, a lot of Japanese companies are a little apprehensive about giving the go ahead because they don't have a precedent to use as a reference, and Acquire was the company that decided to take a chance. If this Kickstarter works out for MonkeyPaw and Gaijinworks, Vic can assure other Japanese publishers that this is a viable business model to help them earn extra income on some games that at this point wouldn't be localized otherwise (like PSP games, or games that have been in Japan for 3+ years with no localization).

To me this is more about setting a precedent that this is a viable way to get games to American that never ever would otherwise (as I mentioned before, PSP games, or games that have lingered in Japan for years now).

Wildesy

Probably the worst Kickstarter I've seen to date and that includes the MMO the guy who won the lottery and had never worked in games development wanted to make.

I think he mentioned here or in the other thread that right now, a lot of Japanese companies are a little apprehensive about giving the go ahead because they don't have a precedent to use as a reference, and Acquire was the company that decided to take a chance. If this Kickstarter works out for MonkeyPaw and Gaijinworks, Vic can assure other Japanese publishers that this is a viable business model to help them earn extra income on some games that at this point wouldn't be localized otherwise (like PSP games, or games that have been in Japan for 3+ years with no localization).

To me this is more about setting a precedent that this is a viable way to get games to American that never ever would otherwise (as I mentioned before, PSP games, or games that have lingered in Japan for years now).

At the same time, there's something to be said for starting strong. I seriously doubt Carpe Fulgur would have as much Nerd Cred right now if their first project was Chantelise instead of Recettear. But that one good game to start with got them a lot of goodwill.

ReaperXL7

I like the idea of kickstarting some jrpg localizations, but it would have to be a title that doesn't have a planned release. Having more JRPGs titles localized is a lot better than another version of an already planned release.

They have to prove that there is interest in the first place, they do that and more will be willing to allow Monkeypaw to do the localizations. It seems like they chose what they could get their hands on honestly.

Anyone honestly expecting Sega to allow VC3 done by another studio is daydreaming, same goes with Namco and the Tales of games.

I'm going to have to pick up Class of heroes so that I can see how it holds up, I'm a big fan of Wizardy games, and FP dungeon crawler RPGs. So unless this is just terrible from a design standpoint I can't imagine it's as bad as some here are making it seem. I could be wrong though.

Blunt

Banned
Interesting. I will check out the official Kickstarter page for the project when it goes live
before throwing a massive shit-fit on GAF.

Top Bottom