• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MonkeyPaw Games Is Starting A Kickstarter For A Class Of Heroes 2 EN Physical Release

ReaperXL7

Well, i'm convinced! Now if he can just call another 10,000 people.

Can you elaborate on what made the first game bad in your opinion? I'm probably going to pick up the first due to the price drop, just curious why some seem to think the first game is so terrible.

johnsmith

remember me
Can you elaborate on what made the first game bad in your opinion? I'm probably going to pick up the first due to the price drop, just curious why some seem to think the first game is so terrible.

I didn't actually play it. Just went off the reviews. A man can only play so many of this style of game, and there are superior options, like the Etrian Odyssey Series and SMT: Strange Journey.

vireland

EDIT: Oops, misread who you were asking! The answer, anyway (for me):

I did earlier in this thread or maybe in the KS localization thread, but the basic thing is that it was tedious to play. EXTREMELY tedious. There were tons of little stupid things that interrupted any flow you might get into. It was stuff like:

Having to pay to see what loot you collected actually was

When you got back to school after each dungeon having to restore magic to your magic users and then healing each party member manually because it was too expensive to rest and restore MP/HP for your group.

Shock tiles/traps were super annoyingly placed (cheap shots)

Operations required too many keypresses that really added up.

Dull dungeons.

etc, etc, etc

The CHORE of playing overwhelmed whatever good was there. It's stuff that could have been fixed in a few days or a week in localization, but just wasn't.

Some of that's already fixed in CoH2 as we have it (improved dungeons and other items), and I have a rather extensive list of stuff I'd like to do to streamline play to keep players in the flow. How much of that and extra stuff I want to do (extra save slots, for one), depends on the KS support level. I really think we'll get the support to do it all, but even if we fail the digital release will still be worlds better than CoH1.

boingball

damn, I just have to support this out of principle to show my support for localization of japanese RPG games. Even though I am not that really excited about Class of Heroes 2 (have never player the first one).

I would kickstart for so many Japanese games...

Mother 3, AAI2, Fatal Frame 4, Mother 1+2, all the final mix games, Tales of whatever... but not a sequel to that bad game... I mean, at least make it a game people care about :(

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
$500,000 just for a physical release? That seems absurd if they are already localizing it.
$20 doesn't get you a digital copy and $60 is the next step up?

Just do a limited print run or something :/
29 days to go!

We’re offering a Physical Deluxe Pack of Class of Heroes II for the PSP® system that will be the craziest Deluxe Pack we’ve ever done. And if you know our work at Working Designs, that’s a pretty high bar already. This will NOT have digital content you download. It will NOT have codes for in-game armor or weapons. It will NOT have a picture flip book passed off as an art book. It will not ship with DLC on the disc you have to pay for again later. It will NOT come in a tin box passed off as Steelbook. It will NOT be what's usually advertised as a Collector's Edition in 2012 - a wimpy, atrophied shadow of what a real Deluxe Pack should be.

It will be an awesome Deluxe Pack with real, collectible, limited, awesome stuff based on the game, including an arranged soundtrack.
That sounds nice and all, but $500,000 is a big number.

Yeah, I don't understand why there isn't a level in between with a code for a DD version. And I'm pretty surprised at the costs for the pocket watch and music box levels. Wonder if anyone here will pledge that much. I also feel like you'd get more interest if you came out and said what was in the deluxe pack, rather than just hyping it up, unless it hasn't been decided yet.

ReaperXL7

Yeah, I don't understand why there isn't a level in between with a code for a DD version. And I'm pretty surprised at the costs for the pocket watch and music box levels. Wonder if anyone here will pledge that much. I also feel like you'd get more interest if you came out and said what was in the deluxe pack, rather than just hyping it up, unless it hasn't been decided yet.

Vic made it sound like they would be involving the fans in the creation of this Deluxe pack with a seperate forum for those who back the project significantly. So it may very well not be 100% yet.

Probably going to back this soon, if only because this could do great things for getting other games that I really want. Plus I really enjoy this genre , so I'm not too worried that I won't enjoy this.

DiscoJer

This is going to be a tough sell.

It's $60. It's not a JRPG, but a Japanese Wizardry clone - so no story or characters, beyond the ones you make yourself. It's from an existing series that probably wasn't too popular because Atlus priced it at $40 basically from game launch until literally today (or last night).

If this was something like Luminous Arc 3, where there was an existing and rabid, if small fanbase, and a more traditional JRPG style (SRPG), I think you'd have an easier time. But then I guess the downside there is you wouldn't be able to sell it via digital download (unless Nintendo's E-shop supports DS games now?)

Vic made it sound like they would be involving the fans in the creation of this Deluxe pack with a seperate forum for those who back the project significantly. So it may very well not be 100% yet.

Probably going to back this soon, if only because this could do great things for getting other games that I really want. Plus I really enjoy this genre , so I'm not too worried that I won't enjoy this.

Eh, that sounds interesting, but personally I'm not going to put down money to get a collector's edition that might not include anything I want.

ReaperXL7

This is going to be a tough sell.

It's $60. It's not a JRPG, but a Japanese Wizardry clone - so no story or characters, beyond the ones you make yourself. It's from an existing series that probably wasn't too popular because Atlus priced it at $40 basically from game launch until literally today (or last night).

If this was something like Luminous Arc 3, where there was an existing and rabid, if small fanbase, and a more traditional JRPG style (SRPG), I think you'd have an easier time. But then I guess the downside there is you wouldn't be able to sell it via digital download (unless Nintendo's E-shop supports DS games now?)

I think atleast to some degree they are hoping that old WD fans will turn out to support this. If only to see the company live on, and to see another company thats willing to take up localizations that others would not because of the involved risk.

I won't argue that there are probably games that would garner alot more attention for this, but they have to start somewhere to gain the interest of developers/publishers to attain the rights to the stuff most of us really want. It's got to difficult to convince some of these companies to allow for these localizations, so something like this being successful can help Monkeypaw prove to the east that the western markets still want their games.

vireland

$500,000 just for a physical release? That seems absurd if they are already localizing it.
$20 doesn't get you a digital copy and $60 is the next step up?

Just do a limited print run or something :/
29 days to go!

That sounds nice and all, but $500,000 is a big number.

It's less than 7,000 Deluxe Packs if only levels 5 and 6 ($59 and $100 levels) were sold. If we can't find 7,000 collectors who want this, why do it?

What are the two levels above the 10K max on Kickstarter? Don't see them on one website and the other website won't load for me.

Not that I would be getting one, just curious what is above and beyond an all expenses paid E3 trip.

vireland

The FAQ covers the game, manual/artbook, and arranged soundtrack. The rest of the pack-ins are already sketched out and getting ready to make the first prototypes if it funds so we can get started immediately. 5 months sounds like a long time, but it's a blink of an eye when you're making original stuff from scratch. Prototyping and problem-solving eat crazy amounts of time.

ReaperXL7

What are the two levels above the 10K max on Kickstarter? Don't see them on one website and the other website won't load for me.

Not that I would be getting one, just curious what is above and beyond an all expenses paid E3 trip.

pretty sure that one of them is an all expenses paid trip to Japan IIRC.

johnsmith

remember me

"Dig even deeper into the rewards and you might find yourself in Tokyo meeting the actual dev team, or even having your likeness in the game."
http://monkeypawgames.com/2012/03/prove-your-j-rpg-fan-power-help-support-our-kickstarter-campaign/

vireland

Right, the basics are covered in the FAQ (deluxe case, color manual/artbook, arranged soundtrack cd), but the additional items are waiting for prototype samples and the supporter feedback process in the forum at the level 6 reward level.

Worked for me.

Weird, tried in IE also and keeps timing out for both. Not having an issue with any other web pages at the moment.

Edit- Just went through over 100 sites real fast and they all load fine. Not sure why this is the only one that keeps timing out, must be some ghosts in my tubes.

zulux21

No, not loading in Firefox, keeps timing out.

it's loading just fine for me and I am also using firefox. Version 11.0 here.

Also I backed the project. I am a sucker for nice LE releases of JRPGs. I will have to see if my wife will let me keep the backing though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Ugh, why'd it have to be CoH?

As much as I like Gaijinworks there is just no way I'm opening my wallet for this.

Hope you do make it though.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
None of these tiers get you the digital version by itself. That seems like a massive oversight.

I feel bad not supporting this, since it failing could negatively impact future things I actually would love to see, but... I've never bought a UMD. I'm not about to start with a $60 game that I'm not sure I'd even like in the slightest. Maybe I'll toss in a few bucks or something...

redlemon

Even if I know the reasons the lack of a DD tier is pretty disappointing. I don't have any interest in UMD's since I plan on getting a Vita sometime next year. Still, I might throw in $5 just to show I support the idea.

I don't think I've seen a single person after this for localisation, let alone excited enough to want a special edition. Seems like an odd choice for this.

Why not just localise this normally as it sounds like you were going to do anyway, and then Kickstart the localisation/special edition of a game that people might want to buy? Is there some specific reason you had to choose CoH2 for this? I'd be almost surprised if the original sold 7,000 copies, let alone 7,000 special editions, it just doesn't seem like the market's there and that's not a reflection on the market for special editions, because people would kill for Working Designs style special editions of games that they wanted. Just not of this game.

Still, good luck, absolutely can't be a bad thing if you succeed.

Cheerilee

I don't think there really needs to be a DD tier, because the DD version is already on it's way, and if you want it, you can simply buy it. You don't need to "pledge" to buy it. And Vic can't get free DD codes, so he'd just be selling them at a profit (or loss) and confusing the situation.

IMO, this kickstarter's message sounds a little bit all over the place (support JRPGs, support quality translations, support random PSP gems, support physical copies, support good quality bonus swag), but it can all be simply summed up as "Bring Working Designs back from the grave". And that's a message I can get behind.

It looks like MonkeyPaw is publishing the DD game, and Gaijinworks is basically translating it for them, and this kickstarter is a way for Gaijinworks to hijack the project and turn this into a real Working Designs-style production, which would bring Working Designs back for real.

My only concern is that there are only 4000 of the $59 game available. That seems like the most obvious version for most people, but if it sells out that'll bring us less than halfway to the $500,000 mark. People will need to spring for more goodies than just that.

As Vic has mentioned numerous times, I think people are applying their decisions (and disgust) towards this game based on the first game where everyone can agree it was flawed.

Have you never played a sequel to a game that you were more or less "meh" about and found out the second game is vastly superior? Though I loved Breath of Fire, Breath of Fire 2 comes to mind as one that became a great classic because it built on the first one and was just spectacular.

I think everyone should at least give the Kickstarter and the game a look first before writing it off based upon their opinions of the first game. I say this especially if you are giving this opinion based upon reviewers that may or may not be fans of the FP dungeon crawl genre OR Japanese RPG's in general and have not actually played the first game.

Acosta

This is risky Vic, I'm going to back this for support and because I want this stuff to happen more times, but it´s sad the first tiers are for support only (I understand it´s out of your control but still...).

BTW, in case I got crazy and went for the Special Edition, I don't see anything about international shipping (please, don't tell me you have no capability to send this out of USA :p).

Best of lucks.

Edit: Found it in the FAQ, it´s available (but you should have included it on the rewards tiers! people are going to get confused.)

Zafir

This will require contemplation... I want the deluxe edition, but I'm not sure I care enough about the game to pay $60+$15 for shipping.

Acosta

Vic, an observation. You have limited the Deluxe Pack tier of 60 $ to 4000, and I feel it´s your most attractive tier because at the end people are going to be drawn to the idea of having a really spectacular edition. At the other side, the 100$ tiers looks a big jump for the reward it offers (access to the forum and Deluxe poster if I'm reading it well), I'm sure it will be attractive for some people, but I'm pretty sure the most popular one will be the 60$ one.

Don't you think you should up the limit to grant that people wanting the Deluxe Pack can get you near to that quantity? 8000 copies would get you to 480.000 and I think there is a better chance of that happening than seeing lots of 100$ backers. Or something like 7000 for 60$, 1000$ for 100$ maybe.

I am just a mere consumer and you have been on business many years and you must have thinking this for a long time, so I am not going to give you lessons about how doing this, but wanted to share it in case you find it useful, hope you don't mind.

Hisster

@vireland
It's hard to convince people to support this if they played just first one. I wish you luck with this and if you succeed, try next time with something like 7th dragon DS or Last Ranker.

frequency

I'm confused at how Kickstarter works. How do I add the extra money for shipping outside the US? Is it a flat rate even for the higher tiers?

Top Bottom