• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MonkeyPaw Games Is Starting A Kickstarter For A Class Of Heroes 2 EN Physical Release

duckroll

I'm confused at how Kickstarter works. How do I add the extra money for shipping outside the US? Is it a flat rate even for the higher tiers?

Kickstarter doesn't regulate any of this. How much you choose to contribute is simply how much Kickstarter will take from you using Amazon payment, and give to the person running that project (after fee deductions, and assuming the project is actually successfully funded).

When projects indicate that overseas shipping will cost [x] dollars more, they're just asking for you to put in that much more money if you want that reward shipped to you internationally. So if the reward you're looking at requires 50 dollars or more, and the extra shipping is 15 dollars, you will have to contribute 65 dollars or more to qualify to get that reward shipped outside of the US.

frequency

Kickstarter doesn't regulate any of this. How much you choose to contribute is simply how much Kickstarter will take from you using Amazon payment, and give to the person running that project (after fee deductions, and assuming the project is actually successfully funded).

When projects indicate that overseas shipping will cost [x] dollars more, they're just asking for you to put in that much more money if you want that reward shipped to you internationally. So if the reward you're looking at requires 50 dollars or more, and the extra shipping is 15 dollars, you will have to contribute 65 dollars or more to qualify to get that reward shipped outside of the US.

Thank you.
I see it now. I didn't know you could edit the green number with dollar amount. I thought it was just a picture. I'm dumb.

scy

It's not. It's Class of Heroes 2. :) Most bad feelings you probably have about CoH don't apply to 2.

I imagine many problems with CoH is in the design itsef that I doubt CoH2 fixes; first-person dungeon crawlers just aren't that big. Personally, the first game lacked charm so it was hard to stay interested. Plus, next to no community by the time I got to the game so it wasn't even a fun game to try to work on. If nothing else, mechanics for CoH2 will be interesting to look at.

That said, I'm surprised there isn't a $40 level that is a digital copy + $10 shipping for a smaller amount of swag (or I guess $50 for digital + regular swag). Or maybe the $60/$100 levels that just have a digital option. I'd rather play this on my Vita (presuming, of course, it works on a Vita, anyway) than having a physical option.

Anyway, $60 down.

wrowa

My first thought when clicking the link was: "There's no way they are getting so much money".

My second thought was: "There's no way they are getting so much money".

"I'm all for this kind of thing," I thought, "there are a bunch of great games that are exclusive to Japan. But CoH? Even most JRPG freaks don't particularly care for dungeon crawlers. Why that game? And why so damn much money? And what's up with the reward tiers anyway? It's so expensive..."

Then I read Vic's post ...

It's less than 7,000 Deluxe Packs if only levels 5 and 6 ($59 and $100 levels) were sold. If we can't find 7,000 collectors who want this, why do it?

... and I finally understood. You aren't actually kickstarting the game or the localization of it. That's what most people assume considering the recent kickstarter experiences, but this one has another "soul" altogether. It's just about the deluxe package.

You aren't supporting the localization of the game per se. It's just some kind of limited CE print-run: "You want to have a shining Collector's Edition for this game we work on? We gladly make one if 7,000 people will buy it".

It's quite literally a pre-order. It's not like the other kickstarters where you are just funding something, it's pretty much calculated that way that you make money with it.

And that's cool. Nothing wrong with it. However, I think you are making a poor job of selling it. The first paragraph of the kickstarter page is just the plain-old "I'll give you a game you otherwhise wouldn't get". That's a problem when most people are gonna think: "You know what? I don't even want it". I think it should have been more to the point a la: "We are localizing this game, and if we get enough money we will send a nice Collector's Edition to our fans". Period. No one reads the whole text anyway, so it's important to get the point straight right from the beginning.

Also, no video? That's bad. You need a video. People are much more likely to watch a video than reading the wall of text. It doesn't even have to be expensive. Just show some of your Working Designs collections AT THE BEGINNING (that part is important, don't hide it somwhere in the middle), tell that you would like to do something like that again, and afterwards show a trailer for the game. End of story. Easy, cheap, effective.

I'm a fan of kickstarter. I'm a fan of Vic. I'm not interested in CoH, frankly, but I hope that he'll do the same thing in the future for other games (I'd also like to actually fund the localization of a game and not just buy a CE, though). But I honestly think that this Kickstarter isn't done very good so far. It emphasizes too much on the game, while it should actually emphasize on the CE.

I'm not sure if kickstarter is really the right place for something like this, since people tend to expect something else from kickstarter, I believe, but I would love to be wrong.

(Also, I'm on the "The CE isn't detailed enough" camp. Saying that it'll be the most awesome you've done so far and will include an arranged soundtrack is cool, but it still feels like I'm buying pig in a poke)

Sqorgar

Banned
Well, they've reached 1% of the goal.

That's... good, right. Right.
Well, there's 29 days more to go. Maybe we can reach 29%!

I think this would take off a bit faster if there was more information both about the game (all I can find on YouTube is publicity video, which spends more time showing off character designs than the game - and I'm particularly interested how the series has improved from the last one) and the deluxe edition (it's great that I'm getting a collector's edition... but, um, what exactly is in it?). Really needs a bit more concrete information so that people can look at it and say, "now that is worth $60+ to me".

Hopefully, some updates are coming that say more than "Remember Working Designs? Give us money!"

500k for a SUPER niche game? On PSP? C'mon son.

The idea is great, but.. for Class of Heroes? No disrespect to fans of the game but... what are these guys thinking?

And that's cool. Nothing wrong with it. However, I think you are making a poor job of selling it. The first paragraph of the kickstarter page is just the plain-old "I'll give you a game you otherwhise wouldn't get". That's a problem when most people are gonna think: "You know what? I don't even want it". I think it should have been more to the point a la: "We are localizing this game, and if we get enough money we will send a nice Collector's Edition to our fans". Period. No one reads the whole text anyway, so it's important to get the point straight right from the beginning.

Also, no video? That's bad. You need a video. People are much more likely to watch a video than reading the wall of text. It doesn't even have to be expensive. Just show some of your Working Designs collections AT THE BEGINNING (that part is important, don't hide it somwhere in the middle), tell that you would like to do something like that again, and afterwards show a trailer for the game. End of story. Easy, cheap, effective.

Agreed wholeheartedly. A video or some extra pictures would do wonders.

There is a single screenshot on the page from the game and it's not even in a dungeon or a fight or anything. Get some in-game video or screenshots going.

class4.jpg

Get some pictures of your other collector's deluxe boxes going:

psx_lunarsssc_ntsc_cib.jpg

original

People are going to want to know just how crazy your previous editions were!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I know licensing non-obscure stuff is really difficult, but this was really not the game to try to start the kickstarter funds localization test. No one cares about this game, whether it's an improvement over the first or not. Can't see it hitting 500k.

Tengai Makyou IV or something would have been much better (yeah, I know, probably not feasible :( )

Yup, I was pretty disappointed to see that this was the kickstarted translation... never played the first and I'm not a big fan of pure dungeon crawler RPGs. Tengai Makyou IV was what I was praying for - the game is begging for a WD style localization, with its irreverent humor and stylings. Imagine, a full cloth map of the USA?

Maybe one day, if this is successful. I'll chip in some $$.

frequency

I hope vireland sees this:

What shipping method do you plan to use? This will affect which tier I can afford to pledge at. Couriers like UPS, FedEx, etc like to take insane amounts on "brokerage fees", and high cost/large shipments are likely to be hit with customs for an additional fee.

Though I guess it won't matter if I pledge $25,000. More than half a year's salary is nothing!
Maybe I should start a Kickstarter for $25,000. I'll like... take pictures and stuff... Give me money.

It would also be great if the $200+ pledge lets you choose a plushie. That much money for the chance of getting one I don't like as much is making me hold back. $200 - $59 = $141 for a gamble.
But I guess there might be logistical problems with giving a choice?

Saroyan

In for $100.
I know nothing about this Class of Heroes 2 game, but I have faith in you vireland, and I want to see where this can go.

wrowa

Yup, I was pretty disappointed to see that this was the kickstarted translation... never played the first and I'm not a big fan of pure dungeon crawler RPGs. Tengai Makyou IV was what I was praying for - the game is begging for a WD style localization, with its irreverent humor and stylings. Imagine, a full cloth map of the USA?

Maybe one day, if this is successful. I'll chip in some $$.

Now, here's the thing: you aren't paying for the translation. This game will be sold digitally either way, even if this kickstarter fails to meet its goal. This is just about getting a shiny Deluxe Package delivered to your house. You aren't really funding the game's localization pe se.

That being said, the reward tiers are strange. I don't think the support tiers make any sense; what am "I" supporting when I only chip in 10$? The game's release? No, the game will be released either way. I'll support that some people get a limited edition I'll never get to see? Okay... uhm... why would I want that? That makes no sense.

Now, here's the thing: you aren't paying for the translation. This game will be sold digitally either way, even if this kickstarter fails to meet its goal. This is just about getting a shiny Deluxe Package delivered to your house. You aren't really funding the game's localization pe se.

That being said, the reward tiers are strange. I don't think the support tiers make any sense; what am "I" supporting when I only chip in 10$? The game's release? No, the game will be released either way. I'll support that some people get a limited edition I'll never get to see? Okay... uhm... why would I want that? That makes no sense.

They have said that part of the money will go towards do a more in depth localization by tweaking various aspects of the game.

creid

As much as I'd love to buy & support something like this, the fact is I have no interest in Wizardry-likes and CoH2 is sitting at a D on PSPmk2. Will probably pitch in for one of the lower levels.

scy

... and I finally understood. You aren't actually kickstarting the game or the localization of it. That's what most people assume considering the recent kickstarter experiences, but this one has another "soul" altogether. It's just about the deluxe package.

Based off (basically all) the responses here, it seems most people think it is about the localization first and foremost rather than the swag editions. The game is coming regardless; money here is just for the Deluxe Editions (and then some) and then some extra funds towards the localization itself. I don't think it's really a problem for the Kickstarter to fund the neat bonuses.

So ... yeah. It probably needs some rewording to shift the focus. It's not $500,000 for the game; it's $500,000 (or, as Vic put it, 7000 people wanting Deluxe/Deluxer Editions) for a physical release with extras. Some of the money will go towards the localization, yes, but it's not "this succeeds or no game."

Wrote an email to gamecentral, hopefully they'll do a news item on this.

Only thing I'm uncomfortable about is how high the amount to reach is, given the platform it's on and the type of game it is.

Vic I probably missed this but lets say this doesn't take off. Would you be willing to try it again with a different game if you has the right one lined up?

Considering the dungeon crawler isn't everyone's cup of tea.

wrowa

Vic I probably missed this but lets say this doesn't take off. Would you be willing to try it again with a different game if you has the right one lined up?

Considering the dungeon crawler isn't everyone's cup of tea.

I hope he won't be discouraged if this doesn't take off. I think it's okay, when some games don't get enough interest for such a deluxe package while other games do and then again some games don't attract so many fans. I think that's something that should be taken by a game-to-game basis.

Though, to be honest, when I read the number of 7,000 people I start to wonder. I think there've been quite a bunch of retail niche games that haven't been able to break this number; and now you want to sell your game with a premium price to so many people upfront? I don't know, it seems a little too ambitious to me, frankly... For another game, maybe, but this game is neither part of an IP that people like nor is it part of a popular (sub-)genre...

Vic, do you have any plans of releasing the retail version at stores at all, or is it solely by ordering alone? Will a standard edition or something be available in stores at least?

I'm not saying that that's the route I'd take to get it, I'm just curious.

Threw down $60, I hope this works out in the end.

I was super tempted by the $100 reward level, but a silver pin, better poster and forum access wasn't appealing enough.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I don't think there really needs to be a DD tier, because the DD version is already on it's way, and if you want it, you can simply buy it. You don't need to "pledge" to buy it. And Vic can't get free DD codes, so he'd just be selling them at a profit (or loss) and confusing the situation.

Ah, then I will just keep my money. This is basically trying to pre-order a LE. No thanks. This is not the purpose behind Kickstarter IMO.

Threw down $60, I hope this works out in the end.

I was super tempted by the $100 reward level, but a silver pin, better poster and forum access wasn't appealing enough.

Another reward or two for the $100 tier would be nice. I currently threw down $60 as well, but I'm sincerely debating on $100. A pin, nicer poster and forum access don't seem to justify the extra 50. Maybe some miniature figurines, a bobblehead, a small statue or maybe we can get a plush down on the lower tier.

This is not the purpose behind Kickstarter IMO.

Quoting you because you're the most recent, not trying to isolate your comment out of everyone whom has said similar.

Unless I'm mistaken, doesn't Kickstarter have to approve a proposal for a project before it is sent live?

Apparently Kickstarter thinks this is the correct way to use their service.

wrowa

I can't get over the kickstater project text. It doesn't make sense for this particular game -- Vic's talking about showing the love for JRPGs, proving that there's still a market for it, but what's the point if the game sees a release regardless of whether or not this kickstarter is successful? If it's just about "showing that we still love JRPGs" it would make much more sense without that whole collector's edition stuff.

There are many people who are in a grim mood when talking about DD-only games -- why didn't he make the kickstarter a response to that? Instead of writing about the poor state of localized JRPGs, he could write about the sad state that many games aren't being released physically anmore. That's something that would not only speak to the audience of this particular kickstarter but it would furthermore also describe it properly and correctly. Showing the love for JRPGs however doesn't make much sense here.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Quoting you because you're the most recent, not trying to isolate your comment out of everyone whom has said similar.

Unless I'm mistaken, doesn't Kickstarter have to approve a proposal for a project before it is sent live?

Apparently Kickstarter thinks this is the correct way to use their service.

I understand that. Doesn't mean I have to personally agree in this case.

I would much rather see Kickstarter used by these companies to maybe localize DD versions of PSP games that never made it out of here than fund LE versions of the game. Seems like a much more productive use of the money than this.

androvsky

Great, so no clue what's in the Deluxe Box besides the soundtrack, game on UMD, and knowing it won't have a plush, pocket watch, or music box.

:/

Great, so no clue what's in the Deluxe Box besides the soundtrack, game on UMD, and knowing it won't have a plush, pocket watch, or music box.

:/

Man that would suck royally if you pay 100+ and watch the majority of high payers campaign for boobie mouse pads and body pillow cases.

Another reward or two for the $100 tier would be nice. I currently threw down $60 as well, but I'm sincerely debating on $100. A pin, nicer poster and forum access don't seem to justify the extra 50. Maybe some miniature figurines, a bobblehead, a small statue or maybe we can get a plush down on the lower tier.

Kickstarter isn't a shop. You're donating because you want to see the project succeed. They don't have to "justify" the extra money because you're not buying those things, you're donating to a project and getting items as a reward for doing so.

MightyKAC

Threw in for 25. No rewards.

Never played the first game, not particularly interested in the second. Hell if I'm being completely honest here I haven't really cared to play a Jrpg to completion since Lunar 2 and that was back in the Sega CD era. But I figure if I do this then perhaps something might change and maybe one might come out of this thing that could spark up that old interest again.

So I guess for me it's better than wasting money on a lottery ticket, and this way my odds are at least a little bit better.

Maybe.

Kickstarter isn't a shop. You're donating because you want to see the project succeed. They don't have to "justify" the extra money because you're not buying those things, you're donating to a project and getting items as a reward for doing so.

I'm aware, I just think it would be nice to have more reward for that increase in money. They don't have to justify it. I'm still thinking about upping my pledge, regardless.

Dineren

Banned
I went in for way too much for CoH 2, but if it encourages more in the future I won't regret it. The reward tiers seem a bit odd though, does kickstarter have a limit? Doesn't make much sense to me to not have more tiers like 75, 750, or 2500. I know it might be harder to think up different rewards and a bit more expensive to provide to the tiers above, but giving as much choice as possible on pricing seems for the best.

Razlo

I put my money down, even though I'm not a huge Wizardry fan, I'm hoping I can dig this and look forward to more JRPGs.

Roxas

So...they are localising the game anyway, regardless...but they want the public to pay for publishing the physical version, am I getting this right?

If so, then kick starter has well and truly jumped the shark.

cress2000

Threw in an even $60. After hearing how the CoH sequels were much improved over the original, I was disappointed that Atlus didn't get near them.

I just hope the shipment packaging is good if this actually succeeds.

So...they are localising the game anyway, regardless...but they want the public to pay for publishing the physical version, am I getting this right?

If so, then kick starter has well and truly jumped the shark.

It's completely voluntary, man. You can just wait it out for the less-expensive DD version. The business people behind KS just facilitate a transaction for their cut. No one is getting screwed. KS goes on. I really don't understand the whole 'KS wasn't meant for this' mentality. Why care so much about what others do with their own money?

Personally, I'm not the least bit interested in this outside of the future possibility that Vic & Co. can bring some cool shit from the other side that otherwise wouldn't make it here. PC and non-consoles, Vic. It'd be cheaper and possibly easier. Do it, man.

Aselith

They don't have to but if they want to make the extra money they need to think about making it more attractive to people. Rewards drive "donations" on Kickstarter. That's why a DD version is a good idea for lower tiers.

Q8D3vil

i really don't understand how kickstarters would work with console/portable because with pc they can give u the digital version if u donated money.

Top Bottom